the Rift

[Art] Them Wings and Light Sources

Ru Posts: 130
World's Edge Captain atk: 7.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1h :: 3 [Tallsun] HP: 60.5 | Buff: Novice
Mar
Ugh, I hate/love wings! I just saw the tutorial on wings, so I'm going to give that a shot. Just wanted to know if my light source is doing okay here? (It's suppose to be coming from slightly behind and high up?)

And any other suggestions on coloring or what not would be great! Or criticisms please, I would appreciate where I could improve on. :3

Also, now that I look at it, those primary feathers could be positioned a little better. :/ 

Please Tag
Permision to use any violence/harm; nothing that would cause immediate death
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Ohh, wings... -shudders-

But this is looking awesome! There's, uhh... three things that strike me though.

The first is the wing placement. I know that a Pegasus isn't a real animal so it's up to your own interpretation xD But I always view wings as like, the extension of a horse's shoulder blade, so they'd be coming out sort of.. nearly behind the shoulder, as that's where they grow out of. The wing you can see in this image looks like it's coming out more in the front of the shoulder.

The second is wing size.. which, again, is just a personal thing :D But I'm a sucker for big wings so I kind of want to grab them by the tips and stretch them to their double size.. ^^'

Annnd the third is about the lighting! The angle of the arrow doesn't really seem to match the shadow on her breast (left by the closest wing); I think the dark part should stretch to the entire front of that side of the chest, because the wing is in the way.

Aaaand that was all my input! This is looking gorgeous, lovely color-work and pose, and DAT MANE SERIOUSLY. Can't wait to see it finished <33
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Mar
Second try!

1st point: Ahhh, okay - Yeah it does. I fiddled around with the placement and I think it looks a lot better? I'm going to have to work on that chest/front shoulder a little more, now that I look at it more. XP

2nd point: I made them a lot bigger this time XD (they do look a little minature on that first image)

3rd point: I'll take that into consideration! I think I'm going to play around with the wing structure first and then apply your suggestion, or perhaps try a different angle if I get too fed up with it... lol.

Thank you so much! Honestly the mane was kind of freaking me out with all the feathers, but so far so good yeah? XD Thanks for the comments!

Also, I've been using this as a bit of a reference. Which; isn't pegasus based, but it shows some nice anatomy features of wing? 'Thoughts on Wings by Uzlo'
Please Tag

Mar

I think I got the wings down. ;___;' The right wing needs some trimming, but aside from that I think things are finally moving in the right direction?? XP

Any other suggestions would be great!
Please Tag
Ascended Helovian

Wing size/placement is much, much better now!! ^^
When you say the "right wing", do you mean the horse's right (the one behind her), or the one on our right..?

Mar
Ah, I meant the horse's right wing. That can be confusing ^^'
Please Tag
Ascended Helovian

It can be! And I agree it needs a few tweaks, but I didn't want to just be like OH NO THE RIGHT WING IS FINE BUT THE LEFT WING -- xD
Mainly, I think what I see with it is that the leading edge of it seems too low. If you look at where her left wing is coming out of the shoulder, the leading edge (the part you now see below her neck) should be at the same height. It also seems a little broad to me, to show the upper side of it that much. Like she's flipping it upside down and showing the upper side to the camera? Maybe try to make it more stretched out horizontally, and you see inside dip behind it instead? Like this bird hurr (it is clearly imitating your horse's pose haha xD):

I can't wait to see the finished image, tbh <3 Absolutely love the mane/tail design, seriously, I said it before, that mane is amazing. :D

Mar
Fair enough! ^^

Ack, I see it now. XP The leading edge and how awkward that wing looks... Oh dear. :P
So...

Version 2!

Version 3!

It looks a lot better! Definitely not as awkward as the previous one. I just wanted to try a different position for that third version. (and for some reason when I uploaded it, the lines came out slightly fuzzy).
Please Tag
Ascended Helovian

Version 2 looks great for that pose! :D

And version 3 is lovely too, a more dramatic look/feeling to it <3

Mar
oh sweet :D
In the meantime I'll be working on this bugger. (I'll post it here when I'm done. XP )
Again, thanks so much for the advice Neo! This is looking so much better than where this picture started, ^^
Please Tag
Ascended Helovian

Can't wait to see what you'll post of it next :D

Mar

It's finally done! BLEH! >P 

This was such a fun/challenging draw (ewww, wings >>' ). But definitely learned a lot. I'm going to take a break before I attempt any sort of background for this picture. ^^' 

time to sleep ;__;'
Please Tag
Ascended Helovian

hot holy DAMN

If I may say it it was DEFINITELY worth you taking all that time to work on them <3

the wing shadow turned out great too^^