the Rift

[PRIVATE] there's a firefly loose tonight

Asavvi Posts: 41
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: 2
Laine

Night was drawing closer and the meadow stood hushed and still under a thin blanket of snow, the figure of a little bay filly being one of the few things that marred the white landscape. The sun had ducked below the horizon and Asavvi had found herself in the meadow with a mind to go home before the girl had lifted her sky-eyes to look for the first stars. It was always a disappointment, one that drew a heavy sigh from her little chest, to find the atmosphere obscured with clouds like it was today. She loved nothing so much as the stars and the crisp air of Frostfall was usually so good for stargazing that their absence was a loss felt keenly in her tender and childish heart. 

For several long minutes she kept her eyes on the sky, the little downy nose held high as if by reaching she could brush away the clouds and find the stars again. Even her wings twitched, slowly stretching out and folding themselves across her back again. Someday… she promised herself, Someday I’ll fly and find the stars… And suddenly, pulled out by the girls own longing from somewhere she’d always sensed but never understood, a light appeared to her left.  Asavvi’s head turned and she started at the little ball as it grew to half the size of her own foot and simply sat there, hovering at her eye level and glowing as warm and bright.

Then another appeared…and another…and another!

The little lights burned into existence all around until Asavvi was surrounded by them, extending in a wide orb around her and adding to the twilight what the sky had hid away: “Stars!” She breathed the word, almost reverently as she turned her eyes from one light to the next. She wanted to see them all, to know them. This is what had been sleeping inside her, so much more beautiful that the scenes and histories she had already begun to call from the aether. No war no blood no anger, these stars, her stars were only beauty and warmth.

Her mother and father (and even her twin brother)would scold her for being away so late, but Asavvi would worry about such trivial things later. She couldn’t leave now, couldn’t do a thing but stand in awe of how beautiful the world around her could be. Here, in the dusky twilight there was nothing but the calm happiness that settled inside her. It left no room for fear or worry, not that the starry-eyed little girl was particularly prone to them anyway.

"."
[ooc:: @Murtagh because cute babies are cute!]

Asavvi
Cause you get lighter the more it gets dark
I'm gonna give you my heart
credits

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah
-

Darkness was starting to fall on the Meadow and Murtagh promptly decided that they just wouldn’t be getting back to the Falls tonight. Nighttime was for sleeping! “Mama I’m too tired to go home right now. Can’t we nap first?” The colt was unwilling to be nudged from the spot he had already picked out - sprawling out beneath one of the oak trees and all but nesting into the leaves he had freed up from the snow. A fit of giggles came from him in the next moment when a cold, grizzly bear nose came in contact with his exposed belly. A grunt - or an imitation of a bear’s grunt - proceeded Murtagh scrambling to his feet, preparing to roughhouse with the bear over the matter of sleep vs getting back to Papa.

But a third option presented itself, interrupting the start of the game, as lights started to pop up in the meadow off to the side, almost hidden by the trunk of the tree but the flash was too noticeable to miss. Murtagh twisted about and peeked around the oak tree to see what was happening.

It was a filly! And she was surrounded by the biggest fireflies he had ever seen! Which seemed a little funny, because it was cold and he had never seen fireflies out anywhere else lately. “Wow!” The exclamation had meant to be under his breath but it cut through the quiet, dusk air a lot louder than he had expected. Well, there was no hiding any longer even if he had wanted to (which he most certainly didn’t). There was no trace of exhaustion in him now as he hurried out from around the tree - approaching the winged filly with no hesitation at all. It was hard to decide what he wanted to focus on more - her or the brilliant lights that were dancing around her.

Murtagh stopped outside of the star-field, wondering just what would happen if he would touch one of them - his lavender eyes sparkling with the light from the stars. “Are you doing this?”

artwork by reli <3

@Asavvi :D
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Absent Abyss
Laine

Asavvi heard the “Wow!” from across the quiet meadow and could easily have ignored it. Not that she was in a habit if ignoring other people (in fact, she was usually so particular about manners that no one  in her vicinity went un introduced) but the word itself was echoed so fervently by her own thoughts that she might have said it herself! But the voice was not her own gentle cadence but a little lower and a little more enthusiastic.

She turned her head to see the colt approaching and her evening of firsts gained one more new experience. Besides her twin brother, the only foals near her own age she had met had been female, and though she wasn’t sure why, this seemed an entirely different situation. The colt was a bit older, a bit taller than she, but still close enough to be considered a peer than a proper elder, and to have him looking at her, or at least her stars, with interest gave her an odd, tickling sensation in her stomach that made her want to gigglle.

And she did giggle, just a bit when he asked if she was the cause of the pretty little lights. It was a giddy little sound, because she was just as delighted to have someone there to share in her stars than she had been to discover them. “Yes! At least I think so, I’ve never done this before!”  She grinned though the twinkling light at the colt “I am Asavvi, pleased to meet you!” she gave her customary little nod before looking up again. Oh! Look at his eyes, they’re such a lovely color! she thought. They brought to mind all her favorite shades: the amethysts she’d found in the Heart Caves, the misty purple skies of early mornings.

Alas her attention was pulled back to the little floating stars. “Aren’t they just wonderful?” she asked, somewhat dreamily. She wanted to reach out, to touch one, and she did so carefully, as if afraid they might all suddenly disappear. One floated about a foot from her face and she moved to slowly settle her velvety nose against it. The little ball pulsed  at the touch but stayed put, warm and gentle against her lips. The filly sighed with giddy pleasure, it felt so familiar, like the warm side of her mother: a safe and comforting presence, a friend.

"."
@Murtagh 

Asavvi
credits

Outcast
-

A crooked smile tugged at the corners of Murtagh’s mouth when she giggled. He didn’t think he had said anything funny, but it wasn’t a bad thing to make someone laugh right? Belatedly, he wondered if she had been laughing at him but soon enough there was a little bit of an explanation and a name for the star girl. “I’m Murtagh!” He whispered back, still conscious of how loud his ‘Wow!’ had been just a few moments ago.

“It’s uh, nice to meet you too, Asavvi.” He added a little sheepishly afterwards, trying to remember what the polite way to greet someone else was. She seemed to know so he followed her example. He didn’t want Eytan, who was bound to be lurking nearby and eavesdropping, telling his Papa that he had been rude to this filly. The grizzly was such a tattletale. But though his ears flicked back, seeking some sort of sign of the location of the grizzly, it was only a second before his entire attention was back on Asavvi. It was beautiful the way the lights were twinkling, like stars but right there.

“They are! I’ve never done magic before. I hope I can make something this cool one day.” If his expression wasn’t enough, lavender eyes shining with the light of the star field, his voice made his awe clear. He had seen some pretty cool magic but in this moment he couldn’t think of one that was this cool.

Encouraged by her ability to touch one of them, Murtagh took a hesitant step forward and reached out his black muzzle toward one of the shining orbs - only to be quickly rewarded by a burn. Jerking backward, Murtagh shook his head as though that would help, frowning angrily at the stars now. Though it was a mild burn, it hurt more on the soft flesh of his muzzle. “Oooh, they burn though!” He quickly ducked his head to douse the burnt skin in the snow by his feet, but all the while keeping his eyes on what he now saw as a dangerous girl and her stars. “How come they don’t burn you? He muttered accusingly through the snow.

artwork by reli <3

@Asavvi
pixel by Kiara <3

Absent Abyss
Laine

They really were lovely, all the beauty of stars without that cold, faraway feeling; they were like hopes that did not dance away from the heart in order to be chased, but stayed and wrapped themselves around it. The didn’t think for a moment to stop Murtagh as he copied her and reached to touch one of the glowing orbs. Even if she hadn’t been so focused on the one in front of her she would have encouraged him to try. Asavvi had never been one to hoard the joy she found, and already the discovery of this power was mad all the sweeter by having someone to share it with.

She was just as surprised as he when the stars proved that they were fire as well as light and scorched the colt’s muzzle. The filly gasped, turning her eyes to see him pull back angrily; the grey pools widened, shocked that something she had created would cause pain. It was tantamount to a betrayal. In the quick jolt of fear and regret, she recoiled and her magic came with her, the stars zooming from their evenly spaced dome around her to cluster behind her, as far away from the colt as they could go. The movement of the stars shocked her too, and her gaze followed them to stare at the luminous cluster.

Murtagh’s voice brought her head around again and the accusation that laced the words had the beginnings of tears shimmering in her eyes. “I’m.. I’m so sorry! Are you alright?” She moved a few steps forward extending her head to try and see, but then thought he might not want her near and dithered on the spot, unsure what to do. She’d never hurt anyone before—not even Nizho when he had insisted on more rough and tumble games—and it horrified her. “Honest, I’ve never made them before tonight, I didn’t know they would hurt you! I am so sorry.” She bit her lip, not sure if he would believe her. As if they couldn’t be fueled when she was feeling shame, the little lights began to wink out, one by one.
Asavvi
credits

@Murtagh

Outcast
-

Murtagh received a very thorough first lesson on how the things that were beautiful could also pack quite the punch. Which, actually, he did already kind of know that because of his mothers but this was different because this was magic! He hadn’t gotten the chance to see such a beautiful display before and he had to admit, he was pretty upset that it had turned out to be tiny balls of fire that didn’t seem to like him very much.

But, he also didn’t like that it made her upset either to see him hurt.

Stubbornly, he kept his muzzle stuffed in the snow for her first apologies - even flattening his ears back a little bit and wondering if all fillies were going to be like this. Was he going to end up literally burned every time?  

The annoyance didn’t last very long, however. It never did for him! It was quickly washed away when he caught her hesitation in moving forward, as if she was going to help but she wasn’t sure if she should.

And then when she apologized again he started to feel bad. “Oh, that’s alright.” Murtagh muttered, raising his head and wincing a little bit - sporting a bright pink spot on the very tip of his muzzle. He wiggled his nose a little bit which caused a bigger wince but then he noticed that the lights were winking out, one by one, and that distressed him. “Oh! You don’t have to turn  them off, I’ll just be more careful. They were beautiful.” His lavender eyes brightened in a smile, the pain already being forgotten. “Can you make them appear or do they do that on their own?” The question was asked cautiously, hoping that it would smooth over what had just happened.

artwork by reli <3

@Asavvi
pixel by Kiara <3