the Rift

resting {ophelia}

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

bound to wander forever, but maybe not alone

Despite the cool air, it was pleasant by the ocean. The sand was a dark brown, wet with frost, and the ocean surged a dark gray, but all was calm. No racist unicorns. Tor mused with a quiet laugh. Dark grit clotted in her white feathers, yet the hornless still appeared somewhat clean. That fact unto itself was quite amazing, seeing as her coat was a mix of pearl white and slate gray.

The tobiano's mind shifted, falling away to the past. She recalled Mauja, their somewhat uneasy alliance. Ophelia, the white unicorn, son of Paladin. Mauja's twisted flesh, charred down deep, blood glittering like a veil over it all. The small snowy owl perched upon his blue-horned head, which she had mostly ignored. The mare Ophelia's beautiful personality. How she had nearly passed out after the healing, and had been terrified of waking up with her throat cut from king. And yet, despite all the rumors of racism, when Mauja asked for her to help heal the ex-Edge, she had agreed. Am I crazy? I signed up to try and heal a bunch of unicorns who won't even want to be healed by me.

With a snort, Tor shook away the thoughts. Salt edged her whiskers. The ocean roared and met the shore with a quiet crash.

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

After Tor left the cave, Ophelia had stayed the night in the icy structure, content to wait out the softly falling snow in its protection. However, the next day, she wanted to make sure that the draft mare was all right. A selfless heart like hers deserved someone to care for it, and Ophelia was willing to accept the job. Once beyond the wind-blown tundra of the Steppe, her large hoof prints were easy to follow. They made clear, circular divots in the ground, the toe digging a lilliputian trench on snowless ground.

As she moved south and west,the winds died down and the temperature rose considerably. Her once puffed, pristine coat was now slicked against her slender sides, and she picked up a brisk trot, cloven toes easily propelling her body over sandy dunes that were thick with vegetation. Ophelia stopped for a moment to graze eagerly, savoring the salty tang of ocean grasses. The harsh, crunchy stems of weather beaten tundra vegetation was only appealing for a short time.

Tinek let out a deep howl on the breeze, and Ophelia lifted her head, spying the pearl and silver mare in the distance. The wind ruffled the gritted feathers on her lower legs, and the younger mare smiled, letting out a gentle call of her own. She moved to the healer as the ocean roared and crashed against sand and rock, and a pleasant expression crossed her features. The silver dragon flew low and settled on the sand near the two, much taller equines, recognizing Tor and dancing a twisting dance on the sand. "Hello, Tor," Ophelia said softly. "Are you feeling all right?"

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

A gentle breeze carried a kind whinny to the mare's ears, as well as the half-recognized scent of a unicorn she had met recently. Tor's ears flicked in surprise, and she turned, watching Ophelia approach, a beautiful white piece on the chess board. The white and red dragon played at her shoulder, letting out a deep howl. Tinek, if Tor recalled correctly. A smile lifted Tor's iron gray lips, and the kind eyes wrinkled softly.

"Ophelia. It's good to see you." The heavy spirit lightens within the tobiano body. "Honestly? I'm well, but I'm somewhat caught between thoughts right now. I have offered help to the most racist animals in Helovia, and they have taken it with quick hands. Surely, they will act kindly enough with Mauja at my side, but I hesitate at my swift thinking at the Arch. Surely this will be a kink in my relations with those of the herds, which I have no wish to jeopardize. Hasty thinking, maybe, but I can't help but think I did do the right thing. It is not my place to judge them. That will be up to the gods and their ancient ways. But for that one selfless act, I am also ensuring good relations with them, which I am subject to think is more important with the herds. They are much more vocal than the herds, after all." Tor fell silent, mind at turmoil, but feeling easier confessing her worries to the mare before her. Shaking off the dreary thoughts, for she would return to heal them and not lie to Mauja (not that she would dare), she inquired of Ophelia as well.

"But that's enough of me. What of you, Ophelia? How do you fare?"

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia listened to Tor with open, kind and understanding eyes, and she nodded softly in response. That Tor was so selfless to offer the beasts of hatred her help was a magnificent act. However, the crimson and pale mare understood her reservations. "I believe that what you are doing is just and fair," she replied quietly. "The other herds, if they cannot see your selfless act as right, would be narrow minded and mired in their own selfish ambitions." Ophelia felt the breeze catch in her tail, separating the fibers into a shifting flag of purity and violence.

"Either way, I will stand behind your decision and justify it where others may call it in to question. However, I cannot go with you." Ophelia frowned and stared out to the sea, recalling Mauja's words in her mind for the umpteenth time. Her body was a nuisance in death that he would be irritated to haul off. "I almost died among those who were cast from the Edge. My sister saved my life. I cannot return until I am ready to forgive, and I am afraid my heart is not pure enough to do that just yet." The mare frowned deeply.

Tor asked how she was doing, and the response her soul sang was conflict. "I am well, though I am conflicted about many things. My identity was stolen and my memories taken while I served in the Throat, and I resigned from my position as sleuth." The flash in Ophelia's eyes was full of fear and anger. "I met my sister in the Deep Forest and we spoke about creating a band of individuals who do not adhere to the light nor dark but to reality."

Ophelia was hesitant in sharing this with Tor. She did not want anything to ruin this beautiful friendship that was forming between the two mares. "I would lead a group of spies and healers who would heal and gather information for protection, amulets and other items. My sister would lead a group of warriors. Our aim would be to maintain the balance and give aide to those underrepresented." Ophelia explained this group as well as she could.

"We would be please to have such a selfless healer as yourself involved."

[OOC: SO sorry for the wait!]

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Ophelia's words fell on welcome ears, and the sense of uncertainty faded to only a sliver. As Tor felt needed, as well as her nature demanded, she listened silently as the unicorn spoke of her own woes. How can an identity be stolen? Or memories, for that matter? The tobiano could easily understand the reading of thoughts. It could be a handy skill, but the painted mare's ethics would never allow herself to do that. But to have memories taken would be such a scandal... Who would dare enter the mind of another to steal away such precious things? If Tor could not access the memories of her family, the tobiano was certain she might just want to fade away. To always wonder, and to know that once she had known... A wind blossomed, running fingers through Phi's white-crimson tail. Tor listened with infinite patience, as was within her nature, as the mare described a group of horses, breeds equal, in where warriors and healers combined. To protect the weak and give servitude to those in need. The tiniest of wrinkles appeared around Tor's mouth as slowly, her features tightened the smallest bit.

It wasn't the idea itself. In fact, she rather liked it. Having the knowledge there was someone to back you up, a small band who would protect those within it. It was Tor's choice that bothered her.

"Phi, I like the idea. I would love to know that no matter what may happen, there would be somebody to could back me up. As a wanderer now yourself, surely you must understand the fear that can rise within when you meet a group of animals bonded together. The fear of injury, of hate, and enemies. Perhaps it is different for you, but peace-keeper as well, I am no warrior and have always wondered- what if? What if I find an enemy who I cannot escape?" Tor paused, allowing herself to recollect her thoughts. Chocolate eyes lowered, studying Ophelia. Despite the fragile friendship blossoming between them, Tor knew little of the mare other than her personality. "I would be honored to join your... well, your missionary group. My only request is that perhaps we should get to know each other better." A gentle smile lit up the gray's face. Ophelia was an intriguing character, and Tor would welcome her company. Whenever, wherever. "Is there anywhere where we will be meeting on a daily basis, or where I should meet others of the band?"

[OOC: That's totally fine]

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia watched the way the slate painted mare's lips wrinkled in an expression that she took as a soft smile, and the crimson fringed white returned the smile. As she spoke, Phi listened, feeling the uncertainty in her soul fade to joy, and the smile on her lips and the sparkle in her eyes brightened. The pale hybrid understood Tor's fears intimately, as she remembered being attacked by a gryphon on the Tides. Without her sister and a brave stallion, they would be dead. Strength favored numbers, and as outcasts, these numbers were a luxury.

When Tor paused, Ophelia remained quiet, patiently waiting for the feathered mare to collect her thoughts. She agreed with Tor's suggestions and also considered her question, returning her smile with a bright one of her own. "Even without the band of greys, I would always help you, Tor," she replied gently. "You are right, however. We will have strength when we are unified, and if others begin using our services, then we will hopefully have items and other protections as well."

"My sister and I have taken to meeting in the Deep Forest, so I would plan on having the shelter of the trees be our meeting place. If you come across any individual you believe would be an asset to our group, I would have you ask them to join. Already, we are gathering a few, and we should have our first gathering shortly." Ophelia relayed all of this information directly, but kindly. She was an efficient creature of total, detailed memory. Then, her eyes flitted back to her new, healer friend.

"I would enjoy getting to know you as well, Tor," she replied beginning to walk along the soft sands of the beach. Her cloven hooves sank into the grains, and the roar of the ocean became a soft lull on the salty winds. "Only my sister knows me deeply, but I will be transparent to you. I trust you, which is not something that I can say about many." The crimson and pale wraith was indeed secretive. "If you have a question, I will answer."

Tinek, the silver dragon, realized that he was being left behind and scampered up to his bonded's side. With a great flap of his young wings, he lurched into the air and landed on Ophelia's neck, talons grabbing hold of her mane for balance. Soon, he would be much too large for such antics, but for now, he was a small child. "I am not a warrior either," she replied, recalling Tor's earlier words. "Though my father is a great warrior and my sister is swiftly following in his steps, I never took to war. If I put my mind to the task, I am sure that I would be able to gain the skills, but I much prefer battles of the mind." Ophelia's chime-like voice danced on the wind gently.

She hesitated, wondering if Tor would be the first other besides her sister to know her secret? Should she share? Would that be safe? With brows deeply furrowed, she continued slowly. "My... I was born with a mind unlike any other," she said carefully. "I am able to remember every sight, sound, taste, touch, smell and emotional that I have ever experienced. When I look at this beach, I can recall how it looked when I was still a child. The dunes have shifted with the wind, and the crevices in the rocks are deeper. When I was here as a child, I tried to make a colt named Jackal feel better, and my sister was still crippled. I remember feeling useless when Jackal rebuffed my attempts to help, and I returned to my sister, knowing that I would always be able to confide in her." The memories flowed from her lips like water from a river - smoothly, steadily. Her eyes were distant. "The smell of the ocean was strong. It was Frostfall, but warmer than it is this year."

Ophelia's eyes returned to the present, and she sheepishly glanced at Tor. "To recount the events of my life would take as many years as I am old, for I remember it all. Even pain."

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Surprise and a genuine like welled up in the gray's chest as Ophelia's words bore somewhere deep down inside her. I would always help you. It was a gesture that Tor had never seen before, a special gesture of kindness and friendship beyond Tor's hope. Together, the two of them began to walk. It was a small enjoyment of the tobiano, to smell the bitter salt and to have someone who, Tor was beginning to believe, was becoming a very close friend. Alongside Ophelia's words, which Tor took to heart and kept them close, the white unicorn also trusted her. For a moment, Tor simply reveled in the feeling to be liked and wanted. Such a gift, although many did not know it, albeit simple, held deep meanings. Trust was a delicate structure, and although Tor gave her trust to anyone, Ophelia's gift meant much more because it was so rare. A small laugh left Tor's gray lips as Ophelia's bonded flapped his way to the unicorn's shoulder.

Yet, Tor could not be more surprised at Ophelia's revelation of the secret. No- that was the wrong words. Again, she was touched by Ophelia's trust, and immediately knew from the unicorn's slightly sheepish expression that this delicate matter should not be bandied about like anything. Never had Tor been asked to keep a secret, but without doubt, she would carry it to the grave unless Ophelia herself began to speak of it without care. It was a blessing and a curse, Ophelia held. One such thing was incredible, but to remain every pain and every woe, every memory of failure...

"You needn't worry, Ophelia. Such a memory is a blessing, and a curse, but you are needn't fear for me to judge. Neither would I tell anyone else. I have to say, your trust in me has touched me deeply." Tor fell silent, thinking of her own background. Ophelia was a hero's daughter- daughter of Paladin the warlord, sister to one who would, doubtless, become another hero. "Myself, I am cursed with short memory, if anything." Tor laughed, a rich sweet laugh layered with joy and kindness. "I was raised in a land north to here, where the snow fell thick all year. We had no tragic history. In fact, my background is rather plain. Simply put, my once-herd could not hold any more horses, and I could take my leave, so with fond goodbyes I left. I traveled many miles before reaching this land, and I apprenticed under an old shaman about healing. Unfortunately, she passed away a few years ago, and that is how I came." There was no pressing need. Tor just enjoyed Phi's welcome company.

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR

Ascended Helovian

Tor's laughed mixed with the roar of the ocean like a symphony of beauty, and Ophelia closed her eyes for the briefest of moments to enjoy to moment unadulterated by visual stimulus. Tinek, able to feel his bonded's stress over the telling of her troubled, deep mind, hid his silvery, tined head in her alabaster mane, body shifting rhythmically as their hooves traveled across the sand. Cloven prints appeared in sequence with circular ones, a trail of unison and friendship. The way her voice carried on the salty breeze was like a dream from another reality, and as her mind moved past so many memories, it was indeed another reality entirely. A reality of history. Of pain. Tragedy. Beauty. Love. And loss.

Ophelia's gaze finally returned to Tor's and listened to her words, feeling her chest constrict with emotion that she had not felt this strongly except with her sibling. The silence that passed between them was rare comfort, and Ophelia was glad that Tor lightened the mood with a play on her own memory. Joy wrinkled Phi's eyes, and she chuckled as well, the sound like bells in the wind compared to Tor's bubbling, rich tenor. When she explained her history and past, Ophelia could not help but smile. Tor had always been self sacrificing then? She was not exiled from her herd, but she left cordially when they held no more room.

A shaman? How curious. Regardless of Tor's history, Phi was glad that the painted mare was in her life. "What did the shaman teach you?" Ophelia asked curiously, her chin lifting her gaze as she searched Tor's lovely eyes with open interest.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

More and more, Tor found herself liking this mare. It seemed their bond had only strengthened, despite knowing each other for only a few days. A seagull squawked, its slender white body floating above the ways. That was surprising- Tor would think the bird had left along with the others, flocking towards the south or at the very least to the warm Dragon's Throat. Now, Ophelia had asked of the shaman's ways. With little difficulty, Tor retrieved her memories, organizing them, flicking through them like one through a filing cabinet. Mostly, the shaman, whose name, Tor thought, was Lei, had taught her plenty of healing herbs and remedies, re-aligning set bones.

"Lei, the shaman that is, was quite a scary-looking mare. All black with a gnarled horn, mane festooned with small animal bones. Despite her appearance, however, she was a kind soul, if more than a little eccentric. She had taken over a ramshackle hut built in the woods. You can imagine my surprise and curiosity when she led me there and offered to take me under her apprenticeship. 'Apprenticeship for what?' I had asked. Lei was the first horse to teach me remedial healing- poultices, splints, so on. She had also tried to teach me the art of future-reading, but it never seemed to click. 'Too grounded and too set in the present you are,' she would say. I remember that she had a raven companion, a surly little thing with glistening red eyes. Like his bonded, he was benign, if not annoying, despite his appearance. Once I reached my first year with her, I began treating clients of my own. Horses came from all over to be healed and treated by us. Lei had been very proud of me." I fell into the past, longing the elderly mare had survived the accident. "Not too long after the first year, Lei was killed in a freak accident with a bear. She spoke to animals, you know, that was why I was so shocked when a filly came racing to me, crying and telling me of Lei's death. But at least Lei died well- she had saved the little filly's life. After treating the foal's various cuts, I decided to move on. I didn't wish to remain in a place that had quickly become one of deepest sorrow."

Dear Lei. May she ever rest in peace.. "I wish she had survived, but if that accident hadn't taken place, I never would have met you and the other Helovians!" I smile, shaking off the sadness.

"blah blah blah."
move move move
think think think

TOR