the Rift

[OPEN] Dream Catchers

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob

She had grown restless these past few days. With nothing to do and no one to talk to had left her feeling stir crazy. She would often pace about the trees with an almost disgruntled look on her expression. For Myrrine to have such an emotion meant something needed to be done, and done soon. With a gentle sigh the lady halted, looking at the little rut she had made in the snow before looking to the sky. Surely the Gods were noticing her issue, wasn't there something they could task her to do in order to rid herself of this sense of worthlessness? Only time would tell. Until that time came she would attempt to be productive, and to do that she would need something to do. Maybe she should ask Tembovu or Elsa for a task to accomplish. This thought lifted her spirits, and soon she was taking in the scents around her and heading in the right direction. She didn't mind who she came across first, so long as she could talk to one of them and get something done.

Before she knew it, the familiar smell of Tembovu was in her senses, and after quickening her pace she found him... sleeping. Not that she minded, her leaders needed to rest too after all, but it meant that she would need to begin her search elsewhere. Before she went to do so she took advantage of this moment to simply watch the giant slumber. It wasn't too often one came across royalty in such a vulnerable state. His adorable little companion was also at his side in peaceful rest, causing a tender smile to press against her maw. It was endearing the way the duo looked together, a moment she would secretly cherish to herself forever. As she was turning once more she thought she saw the little companion creature stir, causing her to pause in nervousness. She would feel awful should she wake either of them! Without thinking she turned around lightly on dainty hooves, leaning her head down ever so slowly before beginning to softly hum. She hoped the music would be enough for the little one to return to a deeper sleep; but what she hadn't expected was for everything to suddenly go black.

When she finally could see around her again, she was on the ground and a little dizzy, as if she had just woken up from fainting. The feeling left her very confused; all she had done was try to sing to help the little creature fall asleep, and the next thing she knew she was where she was now. Shaking her head she attempted to slowly stand, only to lose balance and fall onto her side once more. A huff of air escaped her lungs, causing her to grunt and simply lie her head on the ground. Perhaps she should just rest here for awhile.

OOC: Okay, so stipulations from Tamme after more magic review is that she can't see the memories, only find them. Her upgrade is that she can see them! So I left it at that and I hope that's okay! Permission from Smitty to say Temb and Mwembe were sleeping!!

MYRRINE
Life's too short to live simply

semperfeisty | xxtgxxstock @dA | leeorr-stock @dA | jerry oldenettel @ flickr

@Tembovu
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
the happy ending depends, of course...
Sleep was something that had always evaded the King. But now, after the Deep Forest, it proved entirely elusive for the Elephant. So it was pure exhaustion that had claimed him, haunted mind finally succumbing to the necessary REM cycles. It was not a pleasant sleep— nor was it restful. Dreams were filled with smoke and roaring fires. Stretched, distended black skin cracked with blood and seeping serum; sloughing at the slightest touch. Eyes boiled to white, opaque corneas in bloated faces that looked nothing like the they did in life.

Closed, sleeping eyes of ice blue, peppered the dreams. Face half pristine white, half charred black, crystalline blue horn erupting from the carnage of his forehead. The hopeful, pleading look that had seared into his navy blue eyes before his magma elephant had seared the Frozen Light. The King twitched in his sleep, Mbwene giving small whimpers as some of the images bled through their bond and into her own dreams of sweet, pale mares and nice, winged lions.

Black-rimmed ears twitched as the crunch of snow vaguely invaded his tortured slumber. He began to rouse, mind trying to claw and climb up the nebulous, shadowed walls of the hellhole he had descended. But it was so difficult— and suddenly there was a gentle humming, so melodious that it wove a band of shimmering light through his darkness.

The tendril of brightness multiplied with each note, spreading and expanding, pushing away the burned carcasses and fiery demons. It their place emerged a cove of trunks and a bed of dry grasses. It was a memory, strangely still shimmering in the same light of the hum, as if saturated by light and luster. The King’s dream blurred for a moment, overwhelmed by glistening gleams, before clearing and focusing on the swollen sides of a mare.

It was Mara, the strip of dark brown on her golden barrel shuddering with contractions as labor gripped her slight form. Tembovu was where he had been that day: at her delicate face, muzzle brushing strands of her silken forelock out of her bright green eyes. Eyes that were glaring up at him, pale ears flush with her skull. “You better love this foal bec—“ break for gasp and contraction, “—because you’re not getting another one.” Her whiplike words had brought a smile (at his peril) and he had gently lipped the sweaty skin at her throat, murmuring words of encouragement. They should have expected an intense delivery, with her small size and his gargantuan build.

But, still, Mara was a tenacious as she was beautiful. And so their son slid, all knobby knees and long legs, into the world. Immediately, he was standing, blurry eyes not yet free of afterbirth and Mara still heaving for breath on her side. The sight of the foal filled him with such overwhelming pride, “Faxr,” the name had slipped out without thought. Mara gently nickered an agreement, sweaty and soft nose touching his leg, before unsteadily rising to her hooves.

Tembovu was there, solid body easily absorbing and supporting Mara’s. And Faxr was wobbling to his dam’s face, huffing and leaning as gravity pulled his top-heavy body. Sire and dam dropped their heads, teaching their son their scent, welcoming him into the world, and starting a family—

Navy eyes slowly opened, drawn immediately to the happy croons of Mbwene, who was still sleeping and curled into his barrel. They then alighted on the butterfly wings of Myrrine, who was laying on her side not far from them. “Myrrine?” voice was still husky from sleep, and confusion ran thick through him, “What did you do— was that you humming?” Though his eyes may be bewildered, the shadows were no where to be found. A contented calm had replaced them.
...on when you end your story.
image | bckg

@Myrrine I'm so sorry for the delay. I really had to dig deep in Tembo for this post.

Please tag Tembovu.

Watermel0nBob

Oh she was dizzy. Her head spun and she had begun to see double. She closed her eyes, hoping it would help, breathing deeply and trying to remove the wave of nausea that plagued her now. What on Earth had happened? She tried to compose herself, to get away before she should happen to retch and awaken her lordship with the smell, when suddenly eyes of navy blue were opening and looking towards her. She looked back, smiling weakly and attempting to bring herself onto her knees. No matter how slow she moved, the dizziness returned, and she had to rest upon her side once more and simply breath. Blinking slowly, she let one of her ears prick towards the elephant man who was now speaking to her. She blinked, wondering what he meant by "what did you do?" All she had done was try to lull the little companion back to sleep, and the next thing she knew she was on her side and wanting to vomit.

After calming her churning stomach she finally found the courage to speak, lifting her head gingerly in order to meet his gaze once again," H-Hello Tembovu. I certainly hope I didn't wake you. Yes, I was humming, I was worried your little companion was going to wake up, so I wanted to lull her back to sleep. Was that what woke you up? If so I do sincerely apologize." She smiled again, weakly at that, before placing her head to the cool ground once more.

It soothed her so, gave her ease from the pounding headache that was beginning to form. She didn't understand how she had managed to end up in this predicament, but knowing her it was something she somehow accidentally got into. Such was her life. It was after a few minutes that the dizziness finally subsided, and she was finally able to lift herself up into an upright position. She didn't want to try standing yet, not when she had finally accomplished the act of being upright without wanting to bring up her last meal. She was still tired, the headache was still present, but now that she didn't have vertigo she felt much better. Hopefully it wouldn't return. Hazel eyes searched her king and his companion, hoping nothing had hurt them, and simply watched him, before asking softly and in the cheeriest tone she could muster in her state," Did you sleep well?"

OOC:

MYRRINE

@Tembovu I'm sorry it's so bad T-T

Brows raise and ears strain forward as she struggled to rise before collapsing and giving into the obvious exhaustion that sagged on her face and body. The tendrils of sleep were quickly retreating as concern replaced the cloudiness of slumber. But her head gingerly raised, soft hazel eyes meeting his gaze as she answered his questions and asked some in return. His eyes glanced to Mbwene, who still happily slumbered, tucked into his barrel, blissfully still beneath the spell Myrrine’s magic wove. Being bonded to a stallion prone to insomnia had been arduous for the elephant calf, so she was not yet willing to rouse.

His voice rolled in answer to her questions, quiet and throaty, “Your humming did not wake me, it… I heard it, saw it, in my dream. I saw a memory, an old one, that I had forgotten— in Dorobo, of Mara and the birth of my son… So do not apologize, Myrrine. I should be thanking you.” His slightly unstrung sentences faltered to explain just what had happened in his dream. Dark blue eyes glaze for a moment, as the saturated dream-images drift behind them— how could have have forgotten that day? He had sworn he would always remember it. How could the day he found their bodies have become more readily accessible in his mind than that memory? Shadows pierced the happy calm that the dream had created.

Concern came crashing in with the shadows neck instinctively outstretching to the spotted woman as she laid her head back onto the ground once again, “Are you alright, Myrrine?” His broad muzzle sought to… to touch her neck in some sign of comfort and gratitude— she did not understand how great the boon was that she had given him. But then she was moving, and asking and righting herself. “I have not slept that well in years,” the truth of his words was told by the timbre beneath them, “Does your magic always leave you this exhausted?” If it didn’t, the Elephant King might need to enlist her talents again— to escape the present for the past.
image | bckg
@Myrrine

Please tag Tembovu.

Watermel0nBob

He had seen her humming in his dreams? How was that even possible? Despite the confusion she let Tembovu explain, telling her the memory he had had resurface into his dreams. The happiness in his eyes was enough to make her smile, to make her feel a little better despite how ill she felt right in this moment. He was kind in his words, but she was only perplexed when he thanked her. Why would he do that? She hadn't done anything to receive such a heartfelt thanks, she was just putting his little companion to sleep. Speaking of the creature, she was still in a deep and restful slumber, causing her smile to only widen at the adorable sight. She was glad that she could make both of them happy... though she honestly didn't know how.

His touch was something that startled her at first, not expecting it in the slightest, but nonetheless accepting it after registering what he was doing, smiling at him as he attempted to comfort her in her weakened state. If only she could figure out what had made her so fatigued! When she was upright and asking him how he was doing did he speak again, saying how it was the best sleep he had had in quite awhile and making her feel very pleased," Well that's wonderful! Though I don't entirely understand how I am the one responsible for that." She mused thoughtfully, watching him with those hazel eyes before his final sentence sent her over the edge. Magic? She didn't have magic! Right? The thought caused her brows to furrow, and after a moment she finally found her footing, standing to looking at the beast calmly with a curious yet confused expression, wings fluttering upon her back out of uncertainty.

" I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to imply Tembovu. As far as I'm aware I don't have any magic... I never have," she responded hesitantly, the confusion welling up within her and making her think. His words made sense, the logic was obviously present in the goings on that had happened. She had begun humming, had blacked out, and woken up to find a very pleased King who said he had remembered a memory from long ago. The only thing Myrrine couldn't accept was that the magic belonged to her. She didn't remember doing anything, hadn't even thought of having magic, and yet one day it appeared, and it left her sprawled on the snow ground exhausted and confused.

Surely she, simple, basic Myrrine, hadn't been given such a precious gift as magic? She had done nothing to deserve it, nor had she asked anyone for it. Was it something that had been in her all along, perhaps even in her veins she was a foal and arriving here? Did Helovia's borders bless her with that as well until she was old enough to use it? The possibility was there, and yet she didn't understand why her. Why anything for that matter. She couldn't even speak to Tembovu now, not because she was upset at him or anything, but because she had no idea where to go with this way of thinking. She was utterly stumped.

OOC: Myrrine's too modest for her own good.

MYRRINE

@Tembovu

His muzzle retreated as her skin shuddered in shock beneath his touch. Bemused, he listened to her words, before eyes followed her up as she lurched unsteadily to her feet. He, himself, remained down as Mbwene still peacefully slumbered, curled between his massive legs against his barrel. His gaze was drawn the the uncertain flutter of her unique, butterfly wings as she hesitantly responded to his questions.

She didn’t know she had magic? Was that how magic worked in Helovia, always springing unexpectedly out from your body? His own magics had been that way— tightly entwined with his anger. And Myrrine’s… Myrrine’s was associated with her humming? Akin to the sweetness that softened her eyes and smoothed her face. The gentle happiness that fluttered her delicate wings… It would seem appropriate that her magic arose with humming, whilst his arose with flaming, demonic elephants.

He signed to himself, the darkness of his thoughts causing Mbwene to twitch and being to rouse from dreams that were turning dark. “I haven’t slept well in a long while— and never have I seen someone’s voice in my dreams. Regardless of if you’ve had magic in the past, it runs through your veins now,” his low rumble ended on a lopsided smile as his head craned back to watch her as she spoke. If not for the sweet confusion on her face, the Elephant King might have been jealous of her magical gift. To bring sleep and pleasant dreams to others, rather than rage and ruin? That was truly a gift.

But he could not be envious of Myrrine. And any darkness, in the wake of such memories and magic, had difficulty staying within his skull. “When you learn to control your magic so that it no longer fatigues you, I’d be indebted to enlist you for more dreams,” his grin grew to a smile,. “Or, if ever you need someone to practice on, I’ll be your test victim,” he winked in good humor.

image | bckg

@Myrrine

Please tag Tembovu.