the Rift

[OPEN] the waves of the sea

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
Syrena
let the water take me
She had tried everything. Even left Helovia, believing her powers would return when she left the confines of this place behind. But her gifts did not return, and she was trapped here. What little magic she had now she couldn’t bear to part with, and there was nothing left for her outside this place, anymore than there was anything keeping her here.

Her deceased sisters had given her everything they could. She couldn’t ask for anymore from them. Syrena had been born as so much more than she is. She had been born to be great. An beautiful, immortal siren with the power to lure any and all to their death, with the ability to feed on their souls to keep herself young. All of that was gone.

But that didn’t mean she still couldn’t be something. It seemed so impossible, to become something she was never really meant to be. She knows what fate she was born into, knows what life she should have led. So how did she ever end up like this? But she also knows, she can no longer think like that. Every day her worthless, mortal body ages just a bit more. And if she’s going to be anything at all, she is going to have to try.

But where to start?

The sea. It is the only answer for her, really. It calls her to her, when in the depth of winter with the cold winds blowing. Still, she steps into the crashing waves, the water lapping against her legs, turning them to a swirl of blues and greens. The day is almost colorless, threatening snow somewhere in the distance. The sea reflects the sky, a gray mass capped with little white peaks as the waves crash. Still, she finds it beautiful. Still, she finds it comforting.

It is here that she starts. Seeking strength, and perhaps answers. Perhaps the sea will send her some. Perhaps, she will be left on her own to figure it out, as she has been for far too long.

"words"

ooc | taking her for a test run from Sarah - please feel free to come play while I figure her out :)

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Lotherarius Posts: 37
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0hh :: 6 :: Ages in Tallsun
Danjah

There had been nothing in the forest besides the two creatures who had stopped to be curious. His mahogany pelt felt ruined by the cold, its chill wind casting a sad glow against the fluff of his winter coat, but nevertheless he remained handsome and proud in looks. Yet that was not quite how he felt. Lotherarius was a mixture of emotions, mostly trying to figure out where he was and what the hell he was doing. His travelling had given him too much time to speak with himself both in his mind and verbally but now was the time that he had to return to reality.

With all of the days he had wandered after fleeing from the pair in the forest, his daggers had brought him across to the edge of the world. The salt on his velveteens were refreshing. His pools had never laid sight upon the waves before but he had heard from nomads who had passed on their knowledge to his tribe before parting ways. The warlord was currently humbled by the peacefulness of this place, the sand giving his hardened daggers some peace and sponginess to aid his aching. It was nice just to be able to stop. But the season was not entirely forgiving to the terriaria, and he wondered why he had travelled so far west. But whilst he stood there he could see a figure in the distance that caught his eye. It was a figure he was unsure about, one that did not appear to be familiar and the uncertainty in his mind preyed on his instincts. But the courageous side to Lotherarius prevailed and he decided that it was time to try and assert himself in this unfamiliar place. With a slow pace, his darkened pillars took his bodice over to the creature who stood there against the waves, silent and oblivious to his presence.

What stood before him was a fae, light charcoal in appearance with hinting of feathers on her sturdy pillars and curls in her tassles. Her eyes were a saturated azure, whilst she bore intriguing scales along the points of her bodice with an essence of 'wetness' about her. The brute considered her striking and interesting. With a small cough he tried to alert the smaller fae to his presence before speaking in a soft melting tone,
"Good day," his pools considered to scour her whilst also checking back every now and again, feeling almost unsafe to be here alone in an unfamiliar world, "It is nice to have someone here..."

" . "

Lotherarius

War is the work of the gods..
Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
Once, he would have been right to feel unsafe with her as his only companion. Once, she would have lured him deep into the water with honeyed words and a bat of her eyes. Once, she would have taken all the years from him and made them her own. Once, she would have left his body to the waves and fish.

But now, she is nothing. Now, she can only stand in the water and let the cold turn her gray skin to blues and greens. Now, she holds only a fragment of the beauty she once did. Now, she feeds on plants and ages like a mortal does.

She turns her head slightly at the sound of his approach, though does not angle her body. Her attention stays mostly on the waves that crash into her legs, splashing her belly. Specks of blue and green appear where the water splashes here, fading to gray as her body warms and the water dries. “Be careful what you wish for,” she says, voice matter of fact.

He is not unimpressive, at least. He’s colored like a lion, with wings that share that coloring. The nearly blood-red hue of his coat is broken by snowy white patches. She rather wishes the water was warm, that she could turn herself bright red and purple and orange to match him. Well, really, to show off. But in the bitter cold of the season, she remains blue and green and gray. ”The sea often answers wishes.” But of course, the sea is full of monsters. She would know, after all. Once, she was one of them.
"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Lotherarius

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Danjah

Lotherarius keenly watched the fae, waiting to see what her move would be after his greeting. He still had the feeling that something was amiss about her but he was a brute, a stubborn brute that needed to prove to himself that not very creature was out to get him. But he waited. She did nothing. There she stood, halting her body in the shallow salt waters. She continued to strike him as the waves lapped against her and the hues of her body adjusted to them, giving of hints of blues and greens that made that light charcoal pelt just that little more interesting. The chief was intrigued by what sort of creature had the ability to change in water, if that was what caused her to change at all. But he remained silent, just waiting for her to say something or even do something.

And then the dame turned her cranium whilst letting her pillars remain fixed in the same position. He could feel the cold wind whipping through the feathers of his wings and he lightly shivered, not feeling protected against it. He then wondered why she was standing in the colds waters when it was just going to make a creature feel more uncomfortable about this wretched season.

"Be careful what you wish for."

Her words hit him as a statement, nothing underlying in her tones. He sighed and watched her through bright azure pools,
"Very true, some wishes are not what you expect..." He didn't know what to say to her. He didn't know her. All the blood-red knew of her was that her skin changed when it met water. How... insightful.

And then Lotherarius felt more words come his way, some that seemed interesting to him. Did the sea really answer your wishes? He tilted his cranium in confusion as to what that meant, before piping up and trying to get some more information to understand what she was trying to convey, "Does the sea answer everybody's wishes, or just those who pay attention?" He tried to meet her gaze and gave a light smile that crinkled the ivory patches along his skull, "I am Lotherarius, by the way."

" . "

Lotherarius

Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
Once, he would have been right. Once, she would have been out to get him. Now though? Oh, now she could hardly do anything at all. What, tangle him in some seaweed and let him drown. Granted, he could break out of the seaweed, wouldn’t drown, and even if he did, she couldn’t take his years for her own. So what was the point in killing him? It would accomplish nothing, except to remind her of what she once could do.

Once. That was a common word in her vocabulary now. She was growing tired of it. How she wanted to move past the once, but still, she didn’t know how. The waves lap at her legs and she stifles a sigh, thinking only, Tell me what to do, sisters, though giving nothing away to the stallion beside her. It grates on her that he stands here, being far too polite and far too unaware of what she is. Was.

Damn past tense.

Finally, she turns a bit to face him, knowing this is how one is supposed to act. Knowing that if anything is to change, it’s going to have to be her first. Oh, how impossible a task that seemed. “No, not everyone’s. But if you wish for companionship, there are monsters in the sea that would oblige you. It is likely not the type of companionship you seek though.”

Yes Syrena, this is exactly how one makes friends. This is clearly how one changes. But she cannot help it, and the words are out before she even thinks about it. Too late to turn back now. Perhaps she truly cannot change, cannot be anything than what she was once meant to be.

Could she be that again? Is there a way for her here?

“Have you heard of sirens, Lotherarius?” she adds, acknowledging his name before adding, “Syrena.”

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Lotherarius

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Danjah

The sadness that eminated off this creature, whether it was sadness at all, was something that overwhelmed the paranoid brute, even someone that was as hardened as he was to the emotions seemed to feel like they were physically ripping him apart. She continued to be halted in the freezing waters as the waves tried to swallow her and this creature just seemed to allow it, submissive to the ways of the water. She let out a sigh that Lotherarius managed to catch onto, but he remained silent. He knew better than to come across a difficult creature, particularly one that seemed to be indifferent to the coldness of the salt water.

But then she turned her cranium towards him and his own leapt up in a sudden flurry with tassles flying about it in the air. His acquaintance then spoke to the blood-red, with his lobes fixed on her but his eyes feeling like darting every place else, the uncertainty of what else was happening eating away at him.

"No, not everyone's. But if you wish for companionship, there are monsters in the sea that would oblige you. It is likely not the type of companionship you seek though."

Lotherarius could not disagree with her words, that seemed so matter-of-fact. Of course he did not want to seek the companionship of his doom, was she mad? His insides felt engulfed in flame at the sound of this suggestion, knowing full well that anybody who wished this was insane. He cocked his skull as the disbelief glittered in his eyes, his smooth voice feeling the slight croak of the same emotion as he replied,
"You mean to tell me that if I am looking for what you say, all I need is the company of sea monsters?" Are you off your rocker? He also wanted to add but he dared not, he was already too compromised to do so. The paranoia was building once more, something he desperately wished he left with him at the border to Helovia.

"Have you heard of sirens, Lotherarius?"

This was then added with the fae's name, Syrena. He dipped his head at the name but his mind was on her question, fixated on what on earth sirens were. So he gave in, sighing as he did so, "I haven't, Syrena. Pray tell, what are sirens?"

So here he was, the paranoid blood-red stag, incomplete without his memorabillia and now seemingly uneducated on the topic of 'sirens'. What else would come about?

[OOC: I am SO sorry for the wait! It has been mental D:]

Lotherarius

Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
Stop being yourself, Syrena.

This is hardly the way to start over, scaring off the poor thing. But of course, it is hard to be something new, something other than herself. But she’s not even that anymore. She’s so far gone from the siren she was born as, from one of the monsters of the sea (not that she’s ever believed herself to be a monster, though the rest of the world would probably call her one). Still, she knows, it is time to move on. It is time to stop living in the past. Sisters, give me the strength.

She turns to face him fully now, stepping out of the cold waves. It rips a piece of her heart out every time she leaves the sea behind her, but she tries not to dwell on it. Instead, she remembers her days of charming men to their death, and calls on that ability now. Not that she can kill a stallion anymore – those powers are long gone – but rather, she does know how to be pleasant company. It’s time to be that mare, without the part where she eats their souls.

That sounds boring. Stop that, Syrena.

She laughs slightly, and though it comes out rough and unused, there’s something pleasant in the sound as well, like waves crashing on the shore. She’s no bell with a tinkling laugh, but she knows how to be something other than a monster as well. “No, I mean to say that you might not want that. Be careful what you wish for.” She tries not to deadpan, though only slightly succeeds.

“Shall we walk?” she offers, trying to be more reassuring than before, though perhaps her slight personality change is just more unsettling. She doesn’t know, but she came here to start over, to stop living in the past. She simply needed to actually do that. Why is it so damn hard?

“Sirens are creatures of legends now, I suppose. Their stories are the ones parents tell children at bedtime to keep them from wandering too far. Beautiful creatures that live near water and have the power to enchant men, and then consume their souls in order to live an immortal, or near immortal life.” She tries to keep any hint of sorrow from her voice, instead keeping it as a story as best she can. In some ways, it feels almost like herself to lure a stallion again, to make him trust her. Only this time, her only aim was simply to move on with her own, terribly mortal, life. He was perfectly safe.

“But enough of legends. Tell me about yourself Lotherarius. What brings you to the beach on such a cold day?”

"words"

ooc: no worries! work has been crazy for me, so i know the feeling

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Lotherarius

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Danjah

Lotherarius felt incredibly uneasy with this strange creature, she was intriguing but something just did not quite ring true. Especially when she turned to face him, his handsome cranium seeping in the image of a female who just looked so... alone? It was hard for him to feel anything but awkward at this point, just waiting for the situation to feel more comfortable between himself and the female stranger. But eventually, Syrena laughed a little and in turn Lotherarius replied with a quaint smile that curled his velveteens ever so slightly. Her words seemed to attempt to justify her last and he shrugged these off secretly, just hoping that it wasn't her wishing him to be dragged away by the sea monsters. Was he that bad of company?
"Wishing for things is too unpredictable, you never know which wish will come and when," Lotherarius continued humorously, "And being dragged by sea monsters is definitely not one of my wishes!" A chuckle eminated from his deep chest before he let his paranoia give one last scour of the sands, before Syrena opened up an invitation to walk with her. Lotherarius nodded with a curt movement, the feeling of awkwardness between them still apparent as they were both evidently trying their hardest to keep going with the conversation. The chief desperately needed to feel like he could make friends, and he forced himself to start moving very slowly and gestured towards Syrena to stay in tow.

And then Syrena explained what sirens were, and it fascinated him. They sounded as real as their physical beings even if they were only myth. They also sounded terrifying. Consuming mens' souls? In a response Lotherarius automatically pricked his lobes back in distaste at the thought of being trapped in a web that wanted only your soul to remain immortal whilst you perished. He felt very off-beat at this point, wondering why he was being told this, but he kept a straight expression as he replied with a deep tone,
"They sound awfully lonely to want to hurt the ones they capture." It was true though, how lonely and desperate would you have to be to want to live like that? In his mind Lotherarius guessed it was for the same reason that he was still walking the cold shores with the grey fae...

And then Syrena moved on to the topic of him - Lotherarius himself. What could he say? His pools were vacant with what to say whilst his velveteens spurted out perhaps too much that made too little sense, "I'm no one special, I've recently arrived in Helovia, I'm looking for a place. I was wandering just trying to get to grips with the land and ended up being drawn in by the fresh smell of salt water. My past, that's a different story entirely..." The thoughts of what he had endured clouded his azure orbs and the memories hurt his insides like indigestion. It had been so hard. But he shook these thoughts away and decided to return the favour, "But pray tell, how about yourself? You seem like the kind of creature who spends many of her days here, being as you know so much." Lotherarius' tone was friendly and his cranium much the same expression.

[Omg I completely forgot to reply I am such a bad person I'm so sorry!]

" . "

Lotherarius

Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
She is alone, but then again, she’s always been alone. Syrena chose to wander, not to stay with her sisters. What a fool. If she’d simply stayed with her sisters as she should have, she’d have her powers still. She’d be a siren still, content in the ocean’s waves. But no. Oh, no, she took after her mother. Wandering and roaming until she made the mistake of crossing into Helovia. And here she would rot, stuck in this mortal body, stuck being nothing at all.

Smile girl. Smiles turn you into something.

Somehow, he manages to smile around her. Somehow, he agrees to walk with her. The once monster that would have dragged someone like him to their death. But no more. She is rather tame now, certainly safe to be around. Awkward, yes. Polite conversation is clearly not her forte. Safe though. Safe, awkward conversation. It could be worse.

They make their way along the sands slowly, waves still lapping at her feet, her skin swirling from blue and green back to gray, again and again, a lava lamp of colors. His comment about the sirens strikes her for a moment. They were not lonely (all except her, anyway). The sisters all lived together, feeding off men’s souls in order to keep living. To stay together, for as long as their lives could run.

But she keeps her mouth shut, thinking it better at this point to let the subject drop. Thankfully, he takes the bait, steering the conversation away from the sirens. She resists the urge to glance at the sea, as if she might see them there. Instead, she keeps her ears perked his way, gaze drifting from the beach in front of them and the stallion beside her. Trying her best to look polite and normal and kind.

She might be failing. It’s hard for her to say. But at least he hasn’t run away yet.

“Well, welcome to Helovia then,” she says, managing to insert some feeling into her otherwise deadpan voice. It’s the best she can do. “It’s a good place for starting over, escaping pasts.” She adds, keeping the bitterness out of her voice. Perk of having little emotion in your voice, the bitterness and anger don’t come through. Because she sure as hell knows just how far over this place makes you start. No damn choice.

“I’ve been here for a few years now, and have lived on and off in the Hidden Falls. It’s quite lovely, I admit, though I’ve always preferred the sea.” She’s terrible at staying put, and she keeps coming and going from the Falls. Though she plans to stay this time. It’s the only way to make something of herself. Stay. She just has to stay.

"words"
[ooc: no worries! I was on vacation anyway]

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Lotherarius

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Danjah

Their walk remained quiet for a little time whilst Lotherarius was still coming to terms with his own safety around this grey, mysterious temptress. But he was eager to prove to himself that he had to stand his ground in order to overcome his fears that remained with him since his father had been killed. No one here knew what had gone on so surely no one would do the same to him...?

He brushed these reminiscent thoughts out of his brain whilst he let his daggers carry him across the cold sands, side by side with Syrena. He watched with wide pools as her hues changed on the bottoms of her pillars as the waves lapped against them. The topic of the sea monsters underneath the waters kept him on the opposite side, just keeping his bodice on the sands as he was not too aware of what Syrena's intrentions were of telling him about such creatures. And so they remained silent for a little while longer, his cranium turning to her once in a while to smile at her, the smile only brushing his velveteens as he forced his way through it.

A rather lazy tone from her welcomed him and in turn he simply nodded and smiled once more, unsure whether to reply. But then she piped up once more, mentioning how the new start was good. He halted for a second, with his lobes going forward to her, as he instantly replied with a questioning tone,
"Is it really? Can you really start afresh here?" His words were perhaps a bit too fast, but right now he severely hoped that this was the case.

Syrena spoke once more of her own story. As blunt and short as it seemed to Loth, he was intrigued to find out about her, "You sound like you like to move about. And the sea... what makes you like it so much?" The blood-red stag's hues inside his pools were amazingly azure but they were full of expression, of need for Syrena to open herself to him so he could trust her more. He needed to trust.

" . "

Lotherarius

Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me

Dragon's Throat Forger
Syrena
let the water take me
She doesn’t mind the quiet, listening to just the sound of the waves and the splash of her hooves in the water. It would be more pleasant without the company of a stallion around, but she doesn’t let that show. Change, as it turns out, is a terribly hard thing. It would be far easier just to send him away, to be done with this this inane conversation. It’s hardly getting her anywhere.

Though she admits, she does like him a little more as he moves silently along with her. Perhaps not listening to the water, as she is, but still. Maybe she’s just disturbed him so much he can’t figure out what to say, but whatever the reason, she appreciates his ability not to have to fill every second with words. His smile is far from genuine, but she doesn’t really notice, or care. It’s not like she’s batting her eyelashes his way or giving him pretty little smiles either. At least, for his part, he’s actually trying.

She’s just trying not to scare him senseless. Normal conversation, a pleasant enough look on her face. That’ll do, right?

He seems more interested in the idea of starting over than she certainly was. But she lets the conversation roll that way, her look almost encouraging. “If you can move past whatever ghosts you carry with you, then yes. Assuming you carry any ghosts at all.” She assumes he does. They all do. That’s why so many of them end up here, after all. But maybe he’s just here. But if that were the case, she doubts he’d be so interested in starting over. “Many wander into the Threshold to escape, to start over. Helovia strips you of everything, so everyone starts from the same place here.”

Ah, a fact she knows too damn well. There really should be a giant warning sign. Stop it. She lets the sound of the waves soothe her for a moment, before thoughts of all she’d lost came sweeping back in. He turns the conversation onto her again, and she nods for a moment. “My mother was nomadic, and always found new places by the sea. It reminds me of her.” Which is only some of the truth, but it’s the part that makes her sound the most normal. She really can’t very well tell him she used to be a monster, a killer. That’d go really well.

"words"

darya87 | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Lotherarius

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Outcast
Danjah

It was a wonderfully quiet atmosphere, something Lotherarius could feel like enjoying should he have felt safe. It was too soon that he had been in Helovia to decide on whether it was safe enough, but that would not have mattered to his inner demon who felt so keen to make him aware of his mortality. It was so hard to concentrate, but he tried as Syrena helped guide him through the freezing sands. He watched as she tried to unconsciously comfort him as he walked with her, their pillars brushing against the sands and letting up a bit of grains into the air.

She spoke once more in his wish to start afresh in the lands, and her pretty cranium gave him an expression of encouragement, whilst her words were a little more doubtful. He dipped his cranium slightly, as he looked away from her whilst replying,
"I have carried ghosts for a long time now, they don't get any easier but ou are right. Sometimes people think it is too easy to just move past them when they're on your back..." He hesitated before speaking once more, "Would it not be that we are stripped of everything before we step into the lands, only to be stripped once more when we arrive? I had no identity when I stepped onto the lands of Helovia, just the memory of the one I once had. I'm sure you can relate?" The blood-red brute piped up, feeling more conversational as they went about. He did not want to pry into her life or her past, much as he felt that the grey fae did not want to press into his. But she did let on to one piece of information, of her mother - a nomad. He pricked his lobes as he felt the word, chewing it over as he realised that he was wandering with a creature that perhaps resembled her mother's characteristics so well. He nodded to show that he had heard, but did not want to ask further. Syrena was evidently in her place of comfort and memory, and this was something that he felt was too precious to pry into. The gentleman was ever the kind brute, before realising that he was perhaps outstaying his welcome.

With a little sigh, he let his pools brush over the sight of Syrena once more, before deciding to leave her to it whilst he was to delve further into the warmth of the woods (he hoped). He grunted before speaking out his farewell,
"I am glad that you can be reminded of your mother in a place so beautiful as this. But I feel that it is time for me to find refuge in drier places. I do hope we meet again Syrena, goodbye, and thank you..."

[OOC: Hope it was okayy to leave there! Just thought it was a good idea to wrap it up, gives us a lot more chance to find each other again ;D Thanks so much! <3]

" . "

Lotherarius

Image credit here

@Syrena

Please tag me