the Rift

I'm what's left of when we swam under the moon.

Howl Posts: 14
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4
Sen
The hot summer air cloyed in his paper-thin nostrils and threatened to strangle him, but still he advanced, no matter how sore his hooves were, or how much his muscles ached. Every so often, he would stumble gracelessly over a pot-hole left by burrowing creatures or rain, or nearly impale himself on a fallen branch. Besides a few scrapes and bruises however, his skin was as intact and clean as you would expect a dusty traveller to be.
What did he seek? Howl had asked himself that question many times before; perhaps the better question was 'What did he run from?' He knew this answer definitively, but would rather die than to vocalize it; to say so would spell a certain death for him, and he valued his pelt as much as the next woodland creature.

He wondered when he would grow weary of this endless march forwards; not weary in the physical sense, so much as the mental. At first, after recovering from the trauma of losing his home and his entire life, Howl had felt the pull of the vagabond's life entice him onto this endless road. He would roam everywhere and nowhere, and meet interesting creatures and see extraordinary things, but now he felt terribly homesick for the first time in weeks, and was beginning to feel cracks beginning to form in the veneer of his adventuring spirit. For most of his life he had lived a sheltered existence, alongside extended family and close friends. If he were ever lonely, there would always be a cousin or friend to play with him, and if he were ever sad, there was always his mother to console him. Now he felt lonely, sad, hungry, and jaded, and there was no one other than the occasional squirrel or bird to cheer him up, and even their efforts were largely ineffective.

Although it was difficult to ascertain the time of day from beneath the thick canopy, Howl felt a sluggishness overcome him which caused his eyelids to droop and his mind to fog. The forest was quiet, so he paused his travels despite the terrible heat and vicious insects. Perhaps he would meet another of his kind today, although he highly doubted it. Loneliness had pervaded his life since he had encountered (and fled from) the Many-Faced Witch, and he was half-thankful for it, no matter how much his heart ached.

Photo credits
[Image: FjjyuiY.gif]

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

It was hard to remain cheerful beneath the oppressive head and humidity that filled the atmosphere beneath the Threshold canopy, but the tiny mare was determined to do so in spite of the circumstances.

Miniature hooves made nary a sound as she traversed the great forest, the melody in her head given shape by a twining tail and a peppy step. The heat had been stifling recently, drying out her throat and making her regret being born with a dark coat. The glinting gold upon her back, legs, and face, though, had made her stand out that much more - and that wasn't something the admittedly vain lass could complain about. As her mind roved between memories of heaven-touched meadows and night time beach strolls, the lithe gal came upon a stranger. Invisible brows quirking as she cocked her head in a markedly avian manner, Ovidius studied the stallion for a moment before chirping out an amiable "Hello, there!"

Moving closer to the unnamed stag, Ovi noticed the spiraling horn tipped with gold and a smile lit up her features. Beaming up at the stormcloud stranger, the tiny lass gave a nod and a shallow bow before speaking once more, "Welcome, welcome, you've reached Helovia. Lovely horn you've got there. I'm Ovi." Eyes of liquid gold politely scanned the newcomer, noting the leaf-shaped charm and the abundance of... Of what? Regality? Mystery? Loneliness?

The mare huffed a happy sigh, content to remain here in the Threshold with the newest stranger to pass through Helovia's borderlands and see if she could figure out what sort of secrets he may hold.
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel
Brisa & Hikari

The heat was beginning to get pale mare and her companion as they wandered towards the threshold at a much slower pace then normal. Squinting her eyes to the brightness of the sun the girl eyed the forest's canopy with envy, only a few more paces and they could welcome the coolness that it promised. Normally the heat did not bother her but when there has been unrelentless sunshine and hot weather without any rain things started to get abnormally dry and crisp. Wildfires were not usually as common this time of the year but with the drought things could get dangerous in a matter of minutes if you were out in the sun for too long. Being Czarina of the Falls she had already had to deal with a few close calls with the fires but thankfully so far not one of them had been injured or burned.

Pressing onwards with Hikari beside her she decided that it was best to try looking for anyone down by the creek which would be logical on a day such as this. Lashing her tail out against her sides she tried to rid herself of the many flying pests that seemed to come in swarms. While she could easily get rid of them in a matter of seconds she decided against using her magic when it was already so hot outside that you could fry an egg in a very short time. Heading south along the trail it wasn't long before the creek beckoned to them drawing them in with the promise of a much needed drink. Wading into the cool water she lowered her head and took a long drink of the liquid successfully quenching her thirst. Taking a deep breath she watched her bonded do the same before plunging her entire body into the water to splash around. Chuckling softly at Hikari's attempts to dry herself off afterwards she watched the little kitsune shake only to succeed in having most of her hair stand on end.

Glancing up from the water at the sound of foreign hooves crunching through the dryness blue eyes fall upon a grey stallion not to far from where they were standing. Remaining calm and standing straight she returns her head to its highest point and observes the stallion's wanderings. From what she could tell he was not from around here for he didn't seem to know where he was going and he smelled of strange lands. "Can I help you with something?" She asks kindly when the brute finally comes within earshot.

"Brisa Speaks"
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

It was time for Tilney to return to one of his favorite past-times; assisting any wanderers out of the threshold. It was not a pleasant place to be lost in at night, especially during Tallsun when wildfires threatened. Tilney had seen helovian forest fires rage first hand; two summers ago the bronze boy had found friends and foals trapped in a ferocious blaze. He had made every attempt to save them, but it had left him quite bloodied and burnt in the process. Smoke which constantly hung on the dry seasons air gave a constant beware to all inhabitants, and the orange hazy sunsets they received every night at the Worlds Edge forshadowed a harsh summer.

Tilney didn't mind the heat though, not one bit. This was a man of fire and warmth; he loved nothing more then warm violet nights, the sweetest smells on the breeze. It was only when the sun was fully beating on his back that he wished the clouds would arrive to take the edge off.  Today was quite mild compared to the others, this might only be because the moon doctor had slinked from tree to tree the whole journey. He had avoided any open areas as he crossed the thistle meadow as to avoid the suns vicious, banging hits. Past the treeline of the threshold, shade and a fresh breeze were plentiful.

It did not take long for tilney to stumble upon a small gathering. He could not tell which was the weary wanderer at first, so he hung back in the trees. His smile was ready, his viridescent gaze bright. How he'd missed interaction. 
The grey mare, strong and baroque in build like himself was not the newcomer. Tailed by a fox-like animal he would pressume was her bonded, he could be sure she was not new to this wondrous country. Another; a leonine, gold-leafed girl was a candidate for his cheers and welcomes, but the weary grey stallion took most of his interest. The proud bearer of three horns was he, golden eyed and hairy chested. This creature reminded Tilney of the unicorn race he had been taught to despise by his elders.  (though he had no hate for any creature). 
"Salutations!" was the bronze mans cheer "I am Tilney, Moon Doctor of the World's Edge. Has your journey been far my friend? Do you have any wounds that might need tending to?"

Art by Impassioned-dreams@ DA

welcome!! :)

@Howl

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Howl Posts: 14
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4
Sen
It did not take very long for this strange land to take notice of its newest occupant.

Within the span of a heartbeat, Howl heard the approaching rhythm of strange hooves. Before the newcomer could come any closer, he quickly rubbed his horn against his knee, hoping to remove the layer of grit which had accumulated during the last vagrant weeks. At home, there were many hot springs and cold springs and salt baths to ensure one's cleanliness, but lately, the grey stallion had been slacking a little in the hygiene department. When he glanced up, he was startled to be staring into eyes very much like his own. The little mare that bore them was covered in the darkest coat he had ever seen, and she bore strange horns on her face and down her back, all the same shimmering golden colour. Howl bent his head a little in order to better regard her; although she was certainly more different than any unicorn he had ever seen, he felt comforted in the fact that they shared the same eyes. "Hello," he replied, astonished to discover they (apparently) spoke the same tongue. She drew even closer, and gave a flexible bow. The grey stallion felt obliged to return the courtesy, but his shoulders hurt terribly, so instead he inclined his head respectfully.
With chatty fluidity, the dark stranger introduced herself, the land they both stood in, and complimented his horn—Howl was quite impressed with the ease in which she did this. "Thank you," he said gratefully, making a note to associate a strange name to a strange face, "my name is Howl." His tail flicked with curiosity, causing his tail-cuff to rattle against his skin; he hadn't expected to encounter an inhabited land, never mind one called Helovia.

Hundreds of questions unraveled at his tongue, but before he could articulate any of them, the grey stallion heard another feminine voice. He turned his head to encounter a mare with the very same coat colour as himself, but she was completely devoid of any horns, or any other feature which would mark her as a unicorn. Behind her in a creek was a fox-like creature with the most tails he had ever seen on a single beast. For a moment, Howl was visibly surprised by this unusual hornless lady and her many-tailed friend, but managed to wrangle his expression into a politer one. "Why, yes, as a matter of fact," he replied rather belatedly, glancing at Ovi before taking a tentative step towards her, "I've been travelling for many weeks, and was hoping to find a peaceful place for a brief respite." Perhaps they had ideas? The two mares did not seem like wanderers to him—they were both clean and in good condition.

No sooner than the grey mare had let herself be known, another newcomer approached (at the point they seemed to him like flies swarming over fresh meat, but he relished the attention nonetheless); a youthful-faced stallion with a tree engraved on his shoulder. He bore a handsome rack of antlers, on which was perched a dainty lantern-light which reminded Howl a little of home. When the newest stranger introduced himself, Howl bowed his head once more, glad that the inhabitants of this queer place were of a welcoming sort. He wondered what a Moon Doctor was (it sounded impressive), or where the World's Edge lay (it sounded dangerous), and resolved to find out soon. "I'm Howl," he said, watching Tilney inquisitively, "my path lays back many miles, but I hope to end it here. My body is fine, but my mind is in need of a rest." At this point, his golden eyes moved to each of the strangers—Ovi, the grey mare, and Tilney, wondering which doors each could open, or which they could shut. "Would any of you happen to have a home you could share with a weary wanderer?"
Photo credits

thank you!! :D
[Image: FjjyuiY.gif]

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

The gold-limned mare only smiled wider as the stallion introduced himself. Flashing a wry wink at what seemed like relatively well-masked bewilderment, the tiny lass was about to continue the conversation when they were joined by a particularly lovely mare and her multi-tailed companion. Swiveling an ear toward the ivory-and-gunmetal woman, Ovi gave a welcoming nod, tail undulating happily in the air behind her.

As Howl's honeyed baritone permeated the dim humidity of the Threshold once more, Ovi allowed herself to get lost in the clouded patterns of her new acquaintances' coats. How darling, she thought to herself, a satisfied twinkle in her eye, Two storm clouds locked to the earth, both as sweet as can be. She had to resist the urge to hum, to prance, to press her nose to each of the equines' chests and claim them; as her friends, as members of the Unbound, as the newest members of her ever-growing little family.

But that wouldn't be 'appropriate.'

Ovidius had to resist making a face as the word crept into her stream of thought; what a boring way to live, what an annoying principle. Appropriate, she huffed, lips pulling down ever so slightly. Fortunately, just as the thin lass' mood began to plummet, the trio was made into a quartet by the arrival of an antlered stallion, white tree pattern sloping up his sides and complementing the gold of his skin. "Oh..." Her soft exclamation faded into a quiet sigh, appreciation for the stallion - Tilney, if she had heard correctly - and his prettiness brushing away all remnants of negativity.

As Howl responded to Tilney's inquiry, Ovi saw her opportunity to offer asylum to the weary traveler. Golden eyes brightening once more, the onyx gal placed a small hoof forward and waved her tail enthusiastically, "Well, I'm a member of the Unbound, it's sort of a family for us that want the closeness of a herd without all the rules," She flashed slightly panicked glances at Tilney and the grey mare, recalling how her gentle critique of the World's Edge had caused that big jerk, Mauja to stain her head with his magic, "Not that there's anything wrong with the herds, I just..." Her breathing pulse quickened, worry creasing her brow as she rushed on, "They aren't really my thing."

With a pause, Ovi looked down at her hooves, the tea-saucer sized bits were as black as the rest of her, blending carefully into her coat. Clearing her throat, the mare forced herself to reign in her budding fear of the World's Edge, (what with that Elephant Guy almost squishing her, the Gray Lady and all of her jewels chasing her, and that Mauja and his turkey violating her mind) before speaking again, eyes trained upon the golden tip of Howl's horn, "We stay in the Thistle Meadow a lot, there's pretty flowers and fresh water and lots of places to rest. If you want, you can join a rank, too."

A flash of pride filled the girl's heart, "Like me, I'm a Looter and an Absolver, that means I sneak and slither and learn things to contribute to the wellness of the group. We try our best to keep everything equal. Whaddya think?" Her eyes flicked back and forth between the gathered equines and she gave a tentative smile, praying that she hadn't stuck her hoof in her mouth yet again.

@Brisa
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel
Brisa & Hikari

Wading out of the water so that she was at a more presentable state the grey turned her head to see if her bonded was going to follow of continue to play around in the water. Surprise struck her as the young kitsune actually decided to follow her up to higher ground to be with the others. Flicking her tail over her hindquarters to clear away the pests she stops a few feet from the others so not to crowd anyone and make them feel uncomfortable. Greeting each of the others with a short dip of her head she gives them all a quick once over placing names to faces and getting a sense of who was who. "My name is Brisa, Czarina of the Hidden Falls and this here is Hikari my companion. Its a pleasure to meet all of you." She said politely.

Listening as the over exuberant girl Ovidius spoke of her herd or group she found herself making sure to remember such information for a later date. Any new herds popping up here in Helovia was news to her but it also increased the risk of potential invasions. Hopefully they were as nice and kind as this girl said and wouldn't be making any attempts to take her herd from her, she wasn't going down without a fight and neither would Archibald.

Pushing the new information to the back of her mind for now she kept her calm exterior hoping that the stallion would perhaps take her up on the offer she was planning to extend. "If you would like a place to call your own, I wish to invite you to come back with me to the Hidden Falls. You may stay as long as you like and are more than welcome to come and go as you please. Right now with this heat there is the added benefits of our many waterfalls to keep us cool and the shade of the surrounding trees. There is also plenty of forage for everyone to eat." She explained not wanting to make it seem as Ovi had described with all these rules and that kind of stuff. The Falls was not like the rest of the herds they were their own unique band and they were happy that way.

"I understand that you will have a tough decision to make but wherever you go i'm sure you will be well off." She added with a kind smile knowing how difficult it was to make a decision on the spot like this.

"Brisa Speaks"

@Tilney
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo