the Rift

[PRIVATE] Take heed, dear traveller...

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

If you, weary traveller, ever find yourself in Helovia; if you wander through the quiet woods of the Threshold and set your course west; if you stray neither north to the thundering rivers of the Hidden Falls, nor south to the lush canopy of the Green Labyrinth, you will come to a forest. If the dense foliage and dark shadow do not deter you; if you continue on despite the hanging vines and clinging cobwebs and disembodied chittering (along with countless other little red flags—you know the type); if you are incredibly fearless or exceptionally foolish, you, traveller, will have entered the Deep Forest.

Perhaps if you are lucky, you will find your way along the twisting switchbacks and dead-end deer paths, and you will reach the idyllic pastures of the Thistle Meadow unscathed. Perhaps not. Perhaps you will become lost, dear traveller, or injured, or poisoned… these sorts of things can happen in any wood, after all. But if you are in the Deep Forest, perhaps you will find the Beast—or more likely, It will find you. And if the Beast finds you…well, unfortunate traveller, it is already too late.

• • • • •

The Beast was hunting.

The fawn’s damp nostrils quivered as it limped along, leaving a coppery stain in its wake. The rotting leaves underfoot were slick and red with blood—a telltale trail for predators. Casting a distressed glance over its shoulder, the creature whimpered. Alone, injured, defenseless…the fawn was an easy target, a tender little morsel of venison practically served up on a platter for the first hungry hunter who found it. Though the creature possessed the inherent innocent expression of any decent Bambi, it was wiser to the world than that. Even with its wobbly-kneed walk, the fawn hadn’t been born yesterday. It knew that it wouldn’t be long now.

Soon the Beast would be fed.

@Ilios

Ilios Posts: 200
Dragon's Throat Informant atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15 :: 4 (Frostfall) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Isabella :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Parelia
I'd sell my soul just to see your face.
And I'd break my bones just to heal your pain.
The teal ivy stallion couldn't remember having ever been to this part of Helovia. Looking around now, he had a good idea why that was. Silver eyes darted between the shadows as sounds came from every direction. With his horned head raised high the stallion walked calmly through the trees. Well, he appeared to be calm. On the inside he was freaking out a little. It was eerie, dark with chirping and other creepy noises bouncing through the thick trees. Ever since his talk with Lani he had felt invincible able to take on anything in the world. Little did he know, he was about to put that to the test.

A smell came to him, think and filled with iron. A shiver ran down his spine as he pulled his wings in closer and moved into a canter searching. The scent of blood was laced with fear making it hang heavily in the air. With fear and blood came a victim running from something. The deer was also mixed with the blood and fear. Ilios didn't care so long as he got there in time. Ivy marked legs pounded against the leaf strewn ground propelling his body through the trees. Ears were pinned as he tore through the underbrush dodging trunks and grabbing bushes.

The scents were slowly growing stronger as he pushed himself harder; fear for the poor injured creature rushing through him. He would not allow some poor deer to die, at least not if he could help it. The scents were becoming fresher; steering his body as he rushed through the trees. He could feel branches and thorny vines slashing at his hide drawing beads of blood. He ignored the scratches intent on reaching the poor creature.

A flash of fawn and white drew a sharp call from his lips. Racing through the last few feet the stallion slowed to walk beside the limping fawn. His voice was gentle and warm, a protector in his own right, "It's okay sweet fawn. I'll protect you." A fatherly smile touched his lips. He lowered his head trying to gentle nuzzle the creature, the way he had watched so many does calm their babies. After attempting to calm the poor thing his eyes strained to the wound worry clear on his face. "What happened to you?" He was sure the fawn would not be able to respond. He was merely speaking to try and keep the spotted babe calm. Slowly he lifted his horned head looking for it's mother, or the thing that had wounded it.
Talk
Words;; 427
OOC/Tags;; @Xolani hope you don't mind Shady ;)
You must be true to your heart..
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me

Xolani Posts: 39
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 hh :: 6 years (ages in Orangemoon)
ChaoticMelodies
Xolani
The smell of blood permeated the air, and the ivory mare was lost. She had not meant to wander so far from home, but she was an adventurer at heart, and so intent had she been on exploring the rich wilderness of Helovia that she had found herself in a winding labyrinth of deer trails deep within the dark Forest somewhere vaguely northeast of the Dragon's Throat. A deep teal formed various angry shapes on her hide; the most notable was a recurring silhouette of a huge wolf with sharp teeth, its eyes glowing with hunger. Her colors had grown deeper in the weeks following her entry into this strange land, her images more defined and detailed. What her pelt showed now was her very real fear of being left alone in the woods to be eaten.

Xolani had meant to go away from the coppery tang of blood, but her navigational skills largely relied on sight rather than smell. Each time she thought the scent might be fading, that she might be drawing away, it returned in full force, bringing a new wave of trepidation to her mind and her coat. She could not see the skies to get her bearings, could not see past the emerald leaves and the dark trunks of the trees around her to find any landmarks. A panic gripped her heart, her breath coming in shorter and shorter pants; she began to trot anxiously through the trees, as though she might get further away by moving faster.

The thud of galloping hooves surprised the mare and she bolted; her wild flight through the woods was hampered by bushes and tree limbs that scraped against her sides as she passed. By the time she emerged into the small glade in which Ilios and the fawn stood, she was wide-eyed with fear, streaked wth dirt and covered in small scratches. She slid to a stop, snorting with surprise, ready to wheel and flee again, but the teal and silver colorations of the stallion stopped her. She knew those colors. Green relief mingled with a brilliant yellow joy on her coat, and so pleased was she to see him that she approached without hesitation and tried to nudge her way beneath one of his wings to snuggle against his side.

Regardless of whether he accepted her touch or avoided it, the little mare turned her attention to the fawn standing before them. It was bloody and shaken, limping sadly and clearly terrified. Purple disapproval and red anger arrayed themselves on the mare's coat as she thought of whatever could have harmed the poor, innocent creature. Concern lined her face and her tail swished against her hocks uneasily as she glanced around at the trees. Whatever had done this was, no doubt, still out there; she had no desire to be here whenever it decided to finish its hunt. She sent a pointed look at Ilios, flicking her eyes at the fawn. We need to go.

Thinking.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Ilios
Please tag Xolani in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Xolani? Visit her plot page here!

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The animal thud of something approaching sent the creature’s ears into a flurry of action. As the winged stallion burst into the clearing, the fawn struggled in place, seeming to slip on its own blood in a scramble to escape. A strangled breath wheezed from the dark muzzle, and the wide eyes rolled wildly, but its efforts would be in vain. The Beast always orchestrated Its hunts carefully, and prey were no match for Its skill.

While the deep voice did little to calm the animal, it appeared to have exhausted itself for the moment. As the stallion approached, the creature considered his sharp horn warily but lay still, save for the heaving of its thin flanks. Though on the ground the fawn gave the impression of pathetic delicacy, its gaze was surprisingly piercing. It understood very little of the horse-language, but it watched the stranger carefully, following the stallion’s movements with a barely perceptible tilt of the head. For several seconds, it blatantly ignored the proffered muzzle. Instead, its eyes flitted to the jutting horn once again, as if deciding whether or not to trust its would-be savior. The dripping nostrils flared and contracted once, twice, three times, taking in the stallion’s scent. Something in the dark gaze flickered. Slowly, s l o w l y, the fawn’s dark nose reached toward the horse-creature…

…until the pounding of another animal running scared shattered the silence once more.

Faster than might be expected, the fawn was on its hooves and had backed several steps by the time the second horse-creature entered the grove. Seeing the mare’s light build and lack of extra appendages, the animal reconsidered. It resumed its trembling at the edge of the clearing, but it still didn’t like the look of those shifting markings. They smacked of magic, and the creature knew better than to get mixed up in the likes of that. It cast a sideways glance at the pair once again, unsure…but the Beast was hungry, and time was running out.

Limping noticeably, the fawn turned, hobbling slowly down a deerpath leading out of the clearing, pausing once to send a single backwards glance towards the mare and stallion. Would the horses follow?

In the shadows, the Beast watched and waited.

@Ilios @Xolani

Ilios Posts: 200
Dragon's Throat Informant atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15 :: 4 (Frostfall) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Isabella :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Parelia
I'd sell my soul just to see your face.
And I'd break my bones just to heal your pain.
His heart aced as the poor fawn struggled and writhed upon the ground. He watched with growing dismay as it's eyes rolled in pure fear. He hummed gently trying his best to calm the poor babe. He was sure the young deer would not understand his words, but a calm voice might sooth it's panic. Pain clenched his belly and heart as it slipped in it's own blood. Tears fought to break loose, how could anything be so cruel. Injuring a baby just to let it run, to chase it down and eventually end it's pain. That said, he knew all animals must survive, and some did so on meat. Even the dreaded wolf usually caught and killed it's prey as swiftly as possible, so what did this?

Even as he speaks and steps forward the creature stills. By the wary gaze and heaving sides the stallion can't be sure the fawn as accepted him or used the last of it's strength. He watches the tiny creature sadly expecting it to jump up and run at any second. Silver eyes do not miss the way it's eyes jump to his horn while he offers his tender muzzle. "Shhh, I will not harm you. I do not eat meat anyway." He smiled softly and hoped his mouth to show his flat teeth. "I am like you sweet fawn." He is careful yo keep his words and gentle coo. He couldn't help the way his lips lifted as the small animal so slowly lifted it's nose to his own.

Then the sound of a running creature drew him away. Ilios spin fast as a viper teeth bared ready to defend the poor babe. Fire burned in his heart as his wings popped open ready shielding the wounded fawn. When the figure crashed through the brush he relaxed instantly. Ears pricked curiously before one slid back towards the fawn. Her eyes were wide as the moon, fear evident in every line of her body. Without thinking he stepped towards her. Was she hurt as well? "Lani." He cooed softly as she slid under his wing. "It's ok Lani, I'll protect you." He smiled softly down at her and tried to nuzzle her shoulder gently.

Fear was something the stallion hadn't felt, for himself, in a very very long time. He was a protector, one that would lay his life down for any and all innocent creatures. He watched her colors change swiftly to red, he assumed that meant anger. Red is what he always saw when he was mad, so why shouldn't she be red as well? "I know, I'm mad too." He nodded as she looked at him then the fawn. "Be slow with him, he's terrified." He moved slowly closer to the small creature. He was trembling once more, scared of Lani, he guessed anyway.  He stepped towards the fawn as it turned to leave. "Come on Lani, I wont be happy until this poor thing is safe." He glanced back at her worry on his handsome face. "How about you go ahead of me, I'll protect our backs." He smiled softly and gestured for her to follow the deer.
Talk
Words;; 529
OOC/Tags;; @Xolani I'll tell Shady when you reply <3
You must be true to your heart..
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me

Xolani Posts: 39
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 hh :: 6 years (ages in Orangemoon)
ChaoticMelodies
Xolani
Blood - the coppery smell of it was everywhere.  As she slipped under Ilios's wing, the growing fear in her breast began to subside, replaced by anger as she noticed the injuries that the fawn had sustained.  He was right to guess that the red meant fury, for what else could it mean?  (A confused jumble of colors flared momentarily as she remembered that it could mean passion, love, affection; these subsided within seconds, replaced with the predominant colors of red and teal, deep, dull, dark colors that bespoke the depth of her anger and the weight of her fear.

To the fawn, she offered a kind eye and a slightly lowered head, as though coaxing it to accept their presence.  In a way, she was more like the deer than like her friend (partner?), for neither of them could speak a word.  She recognized the dazed fear that came with the fawn's shock and did not approach.  She would not be the cause of it hurting itself further in attempts to get away from her unwelcome touch.

The whisper of his muzzle on her shoulder was comforting and encouraged the mare to focus, driving the fear of whatever hunted in these woods to the back of her mind.  The fawn was moving, and Ilios was beckoning her to follow.  Xolani winced as she watched the creature limp away, moving quickly to follow after sharing a worried glance with the stallion. The poor thing was badly injured, driven to continue its journey through desperation. Again, she wondered what it was that hunted the deer so ferociously, how it had survived the initial attack. She wondered where its mother was, and if the doe had given her life to offer her child a chance.

The thought saddened the mare greatly, bringing a deep navy to the surface of her pelt. But she mustn't think of that, not now - not when she was trying to help Ilios keep the babe safe from whatever danger lurked in the shadows. Not when she would swear by all the gods that they were being watched. We're being hunted.

Thinking.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Ilios - I suck, sorry for the wait ;_;
Please tag Xolani in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Xolani? Visit her plot page here!