the Rift

Don't Rest On Your Laurels [open]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
D'ARTAGNAN

It was unbearable. The heat smeared lands layed out before him and the Doctor was beginning to miss the gusty cliffs already. So far, d'Artagnan saw nothing appealing about this land. It was too desert like and too open, not great for ambushing and d'Artagnan didn't like an open battle. Calculating eyes searched the land and its advantages and disadvantages, keeping a guard up for any resistance as he walked through.

Their herd hadn't been moving much of late and numbers worried the red stallion, he had come out to investigate neighbouring lands to occupy his restless mind. His glass horn glinted in the sun and sent all sorts of colours shifting down it.

As he moved further he began to wish someone would come out, he could taste blood in his mouth in anticipation. He felt weak in ability recently and it angered his dark soul, the weaker he felt the further away the Moon seemed. "Blasted sun and this cowardly land!" Anger was beginning to get the better of him and his walk turned into a stomp. d'Artagnan tried to rein in his fury, reminding himself why he was here.

Finding a rare tree off to the side, d'Art turned to stand under it. His head pounded and his mood became more cloudier.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
Wingbeats fwumped against the atmosphere, it was not often the stallion found cause to descend from the heights whilst on patrol. He was high in the sky, so high that his large wings probably looked like they belonged to an eagle, not a Pegasus. He had been using his magic to enhance his sight, all the better to watch for invaders, or visitors, without having them know he was present. Normally some clouds streaked the sky, but they were a rarity recently, though some sticky humidity still lingered. Blast this weather, he thought, having grown tired sooner than usual for employing his magic, normally humidity means rain, but this humidity only bring about foul tempers.

The horned fellow that had happened across the borders was spotted, and Azzuen made the easy descent to land before him, a subtle method of preventing him from walking further in unwelcomed. But the stallion was a respectful one, giving the other as much personal space as he felt necessary, and tilting his crown in acknowledgement. A rough smile was placed upon his lips, and while it wasn’t forced as such, it was only small as the heat threatened to tilt his mood to darker thoughts once more. “Greetings, stallion of the Edge.”

It was critical for Azzuen to know the scent of each of the lands, and he was able to identify the woody, cliffed smell of the World’s Edge upon this unicorn’s pelt. “I am Azzuen, Warrior here.Might I know your name and purpose?” His voice was dry, cracked like the earth they stood upon. “Our lake is full to the brim, you are welcome to join me if you like, I was about to take a dip.” It was in the Dragon’s Throat law to be civil towards all outsiders until they proved worthy of harsher treatment. Though when given the opportunity to make a decision between a winged stranger and a not-winged stranger, Azzuen would fly with the winged one, he was capable of civility, even comfortable enough (and trusting of his own abilities), to invite them deeper into the lands, to share their apparently untouched water source. Curiously he awaited a response.

D'ARTAGNAN

The sound of wings brought d'Artagnan to attention. The unseemly brute landed and the red stallion had to stop himself from sneering. So the pegasus band really has taken over there had been rumours on the wind and this confirmed them. Brooding eyes took in his large wings as the creature spoke and quickly snapped to as he named the land d'Art came from. So the rats here do have some brain cells he snorted to himself. d'Artagnan liked a smart opponent.

The black steed then went on to introduce himself and inquired of the reds name and purpose. Turning his body weight to face the other, the sneer he held back before appeared on his features "warrior ey? You're a little small... and I doubt those feathers are any too sharp." He walked forwards slightly and addressed the two questions "my name is d'Artagnan. I am the Moon Doctor of the Edge. My purpose, ahh I don't feel like telling you that" he spoke sweetly. Too sweetly, it was the kind of tone that silenced a crowd and pierced the soul. He wanted to see how far he could push this stallion, how well this Azzuen could handle a situation with no aid from comrades.

He looked towards the lake then "but being in this rediculous desert I think I'll take you up on the lake offer " the unicorn edged towards the water and took his fill, dipping his one and half glass horn in as he did so. Such a horn was not brilliant in scorching weather. He lifted his head, droplets dripping from his maw as he surveyed the land. "I don't know what you find appealing about this place" this time his tone turned into one like he was speaking to a friend. Blue and brown eyes turned to observe the pegasus carefully.

filled with rage

Deceased
Whit
Little did the unicorn stallion before him know, Azzuen was constantly receiving aid from his comrades. Only the thoughts of his beloved mate and daughter were keeping his temper even, and though he outwardly displayed a cool countenance, he was tense and ready to take action at any given point. He knew the importance of maintaining self-control, he more than anyone, for when he lost control his magic repelled everything away from him. So though the unicorn poked and prodded with his sharp words, the General of the Throat merely shifted his weight and resettled his wings upon his flanks, a charming smile adorning his façade. Though the smile didn’t quite reach his eyes, it was there, nonetheless.

“I would think a physician would know that size isn’t everything.” Dryly he commented on the other stallion’s observation. Azzuen’s mother was of even smaller stature than he was, and she ruled her lands with an iron grip and earned her respect through the loyalties and actions she promoted with her passionate ways. Obviously this stallion had never done anything substantial in life, had never earned the respect of his fellows nor inspired passion in his followers. “The appeal lies in having a home. The land itself matters little.” Arid vocals comment once more, and the stallion follows suit, dipping his crown down to the water’s surface, relishing the cool liquid travelling down his oesophagus.

“I only hope your purpose is friendly, for we hold no hostility towards outsiders unless they bring it themselves.” Azzuen spoke with an air of carelessness, like he didn’t mind whether the other brought good or bad tidings. But he did care, he was merely trying to extract some more information, however unwilling the other was to give it. “It is a curious thing, for you to be unable to find the land’s appeal, and yet wander here anyway. Are you masochistic, or simply curious?” A wry smile tickled the corners of his lips, though the heat and presence of the unicorn unsettled him, he was on his own turf, where he knew the lands, and there was only one other, who had not proven to be a threat (yet).

D'ARTAGNAN

His words didn't seem to rattle the pidgeon much, d'Artagnan was impressed by his seeming casual demeanour. So impressed that it irritated him further, the hatred for everything without a horn threatening to take over reasonable sanity. The rules of his herd begged that he was civil when visiting foreign land but d'Art was struggling to uphold the standard.

The red stuck his velvet nose back into the water, concentrating on swallowing before returning to contemplate the stallion before him. "Ahh, however in battle the land does matter wouldn't you say... Azzuen?" As he finished speaking a cracked, cloven hoof rolled a sun bitten rock into the pool. d'Artagnan watched it splash as he spoke again "if my purpose was hostile I would of brought an army with me and crushed the lot of you." A sinister laugh escaped his maw towards the end of his sentence and he glowered at Azzuen. Not that he had an army nor was he part of something big enough to be called an army, but Azzuen didn't know this.

He watched the abomination as he spoke again for the last time, ears swivelling on his poll to the amusing question. He walked to stand a little closer to the other, "I'm willing to go through hell to get what I want. If that answers your pointless question." d'Artagnan casually walked around to the otherside of Azzuen then, his gaze trailing over the land. He begrudgingly noted that the open desert would suit the pegasus band, a unicorn band would be starved before they stood a chance. Off to the distance it looked like there was some higher ground, but whether it was workable or not d'Artagnan could not tell.

filled with rage

Deceased
Whit
“So you’re here, in hell, surveying the lands so that you might know them better should a battle ever occur?”

The stallion posed the question easily, a rough smile carved into his roguish façade. Though the unicorn claimed not to be hostile, his actions were clear; he was getting to know the lands, getting to know his potential enemies.

“It is saddening that you feel yourself incapable of crushing the ‘lot of us’ on your lonesome. Fortunate for me, I suppose.”

Again he jibed, his tongue tiredly shaping the words into dry, sarcastic tones. They weren’t completely taunting, only subtly menacing, meant to stir a reaction in this dark, devious creature. Always guarded, Azzuen had not dipped his crown to the water’s edge, preferring to keep his keen eyes upon the steed.

“If a question was pointless then there would be no need to ask it. What is your purpose?”

He was probing, asking directly now for information that this guest should give. Unicorns, he thought, perhaps this was why mother never liked them. He was from racist blood, extraordinarily racist blood. His mother had once entered into a pact with the Unicorns, until the fiery brute Ignatius double-crossed her. He failed though, and ended up losing his life, and she earned the title FireSlayer. As it was, he was attempting to allow his opinions to be formed on an individual basis, he supposed even a Pegasus could act in such an ignorant, discourteous manner, though he knew none off the top of his head. Hitching a hindleg on its toe, he gave the impression of being at ease, with his wings held slightly out to allow some kind of air circulation to cool his feathers.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the resolute
one cannot stop the wind from blowing, nor refuse the falling rain.

My blue eyes land like daggers upon the frame of an unfamiliar unicorn, also carrying the scent of the Woods like the cold eyed one I had seen before. I move with purpose forward, my hooves carrying me at a swift trot toward the pair. Silently, I thanked Azzuen for his ever watchful eyes. My choice in promoting him to General had not been a foolish step, and I begin to trust this strange stallion more with every meeting.

Before I can greet Azzuen, though, my face remains locked on that of the arrogant looking pissant crawling across our territory. "You stand in foreign territory, stallion. You had better answer his question or return the way you came." I stop just before his path, eyes burning as I stare at him quietly now.

My face turned to look at Azzuen next, trying to gauge how long this idiot had been taunting my General before I turned up from the heat. I found his face to be rather unreadable. Azzuen was emotional, from what I had learned, but apparently his temper was not located as closely to the surface as my own, which had already begun to bubble to the surface.

I knew I was a hothead. That was no problem for me, only one for those who fell victim to its flames.
""

D'ARTAGNAN

d'Artagnan watched as Azzuen replied to each of his statements. The glower returned to his features as the pegasus remained unruffled. Stubborn one he is red lobes listened to the end of Azzuen's calm reply to which a small, malicious smile appeared around his grey soft lips. And from there, dripping from different points was water, offered by the very stallion that now stood in d'Artagnan's way. "Don't get too sad, buzzard. I can't deny my brothers and sisters the taste of blood, it would be very greedy and irresponsible of me." The stallion chose not to answer the first statement, Azzuen stated part of the reason he came here. The other was much more simple, it wasn't enough to know the land. It's inhabitants were equally important and d'Artagnan knew he had to watch his tongue. Giving away his own lands secrets was not an option. His mismatched eyes began to bore into the winged figure, the taste of blood getting stronger as he longed to severe his life with the shards of glass that grew from his red head. d'Artagnan had been born a very apt colour to say the least.

Vile words spewed up into his mouth and d'Artagnan was about to project them when another's presence came into his radar. This one was even smaller than Azzuen in build, granted the wings added incredible height. The Doctor grabbed hold of his wits, clearly outnumbered he would now have to be careful. The other was quick to address him and d'Artagnan looked at him in admiration "there you go. A stallion with a little more efficiency when he talks. Always follow up with a threat" he jibed towards Azzuen keeping his gaze on the newcomer. Now this one seems to command more authority, I wonder... "Foreign? Really? You know I never thought..." Sarcasm. It was warning number one that d'Artagnan was really beginning to struggle with his temper. His teeth bit into his gum in an attempt to calm himself down. His nostrils grew that bit wider as he snatched at the air. "Excuse my manners, this heat does nothing for my temper" he honestly put this time.

The earth parted beneath his hooves as he slowly scraped one along the floor. Its rocky pitch piercing into the Doctor's mind. Taking a deep breath he spoke once more, gruff vocals sounding into the air "I am d'Artagnan of the Worlds Edge. Since the fall of the Sun here in this land there has been disturbance amongst the weather. I suppose, that is my purpose. Or was..." There was a question of the loss in power for the Moon followers due to the Sun's wrath, d'Artagnan could not let that slip however.

filled with rage

Deceased
Whit
A grin, cunning and obvious, cut across the charcoal steed’s chiselled visage, his ears twisting atop his crown to capture the telltale signs of his approaching leader. Always he watched the unicorn though, throwing a quick glance and small nod to his leader in acknowledgement, but never taking his guard off this unknown, bloody crimson brute. Her appearance obviously made the horned one second guess his standing, Azzuen watched as his throat flexed in swallowing potentially sharp words, though what did spew out were hardly better. Ears dived below dreadlocked mane, and Azzuen, for a moment, became snakelike.

“You will not mistake my leader for anything less than what she is again, d’Artagnon.” To call Kri a stallion was an insult, not because Azzuen regarded his own gender as anything less than the opposite feminine appeal, but because she simply.. was not a stallion. Snorting harshly, teeth clacked together behind his maw, a scowl appearing, though it dissipated quite quickly as he addressed his Leader, eyes still trained upon the bright bay unicorn however.

“He’s their ‘Moon Doctor’, madam, and I think he needs to take his own medicine to improve his sight and smell.” I could always take them away from him completely, he thought darkly, his mood almost black enough to actually test his magic out upon this intruder. But no, he would not show hostility –unless his liege requested it of him- he was her servant, he was the General, ruled not by what emotions churned violently within him, but rather by the firm orders and commands of the one he had pledged allegiance to. He fell silent now, wondering what the stallion’s open ended statement was leading to, but not bothered to enquire after it himself; he was a warlord, not a politician.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the resolute
one cannot stop the wind from blowing, nor refuse the falling rain.

A brow raises in response to the idiot Edge crawler mistaking me for a brute. My face contorts into an ugly expression, turning my slightly feminine features into a rock solid, angry facade that may have been worthy of mistaking me as a stallion. Otherwise, it appeared this nitwit had little experience around powerful women, and found himself unable to comprehend a lady sitting on a throne by herself. Whatever was wrong with blockheaded stallions and their stupid gender bias was beyond me. If you are going to be bias based on genitalia, at least choose the correct option.

Take me, for instance. I know that most stallions are so flooded with testosterone that their brain ceases to function. One cannot fault them for this affection - it is of their making.

Still, as my blue eyes stare fiercely out toward this stranger standing in my territory, I can't help but wonder where his brains have gone, leaving him deserted in the Throat all alone: easy prey. Before my words have clammored out of my throat to behead the blasted idiot, though, Azzuen's angered voice rings out with a snap of teeth. If the General had been a dog, his hackels would have been dangerously raised in warning. Instead, however, only his vehement eyes and poisonous words speak to this foreigner before me. My own demeanor lessens in rage, but there is still a hell of a beast coiled beneath the surface of my face.

Listening to the buffoon speak was hard for me, but as the currently sole leader of the herd, I felt the need to act with at least some semblence of tolerance - even if the receiver of said tolerance was not on my good side. He spoke of disturbances in weather patterns, but I knew not of what he was speaking. It was my first summer within Helovia, so I had assumed the baking hot sun was normal around this time of year. The whole excuse seemed fishy to me, and I had a hunch he was nothing but a dog creeping in our borders for information to return to his King. Pathetic.

Azzuen's words make me turn to face him, a smirk resting on my lips and softening my expression entirely. The boy had a funny way of speaking, but the humor of his words could not be denied. "Well, Doctor d'Artagnan of the World's Edge, there is nothing to explain the strange weather patterns residing within our borders. Perhaps you should seek out the Gods and annoy them for a while," my voice is quite belittling toward this unicorn, but what did he really expect? "Or you can return to bumbling around with the rest of your herd. Either way, get the hell out of our home."
""