the Rift

[PRIVATE] i'm searching for something i can't reach

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer

The waterfalls were freezing over.

Nymeria stood in the upper levels of falls, tucked away on a narrow shelf. She had stumbled across the secluded spot a few days ago, and since then had been using it as a private place, to think about... problems... and... other problems.

But also for art.

Nymeria tipped her head back, admiring the sheathes of ice beginning to form over the thundering falls. The thick rivulets, colored hoary white and translucent pearl, glistened and gleamed with effervescent light. Delicate, far-arcing rainbows splintered away from where the morning sunlight hit the ice. Every so often, she'd reach out with her magic, bending and cooling the water into a frothy, lacy pattern that was decidedly unnatural. Once she stopped tending to it, the pattern would disintegrate; but the artistry gave her something to occupy her mind with.

The sun crept higher. It was making out to be a beautifully mild day—bright sky, no clouds, the gentlest breeze...

It was almost suspiciously peaceful.

Perhaps this was why Kaj and Archibald had warned against complacency. Rainbows shining, waterfall rumbling, sun warm on her back—it would be easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. With a low, rolling sigh, Nymeria turned around, abandoning her artwork in favor of taking the path down towards the meadow.

She needed the Czars' help to scratch an itch.

Well, two itches. There was still the bit with Volterra and her nephews that she needed to address—and perhaps certain aspects of that'd be worth bringing up with Kaj or Archibald—but it were moreso the other bit that she wanted to get off her chest. She figured it was best to go through the proper channels before doing anything—she wanted to avoid the minor fiasco with Ophelia all over again (fuck, how that still bothered her)—and so what better way to do that then get approval?

She exhaled sharply, shifted her weight from foot to foot, and waited for Kaj. Yesterday, she'd asked to meet him at midday; to her surprise, he'd agreed.

I should be more nervous.

I get high, and I love to get low
So the hearts keep breaking, and the heads just roll

@ Kaj

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
KAJ
the

aurelight

When the skull-faced spawn of his once-enemy had approached him, the Czar had not been surprised. Whoever had allowed her entrance to the Falls was irrelevant, as he found no threat in her. He found threat in nothing, not even the looming sobriety of death. There was nothing left to rip from his possession, and in his material-emotional-spiritual solitude, there was a steady sort of confidence. They could challenge and defeat him, exile him from his herd, from Helovia. He would remain saddled with the same burdens, for there would be few to miss him and fewer still to pursue him. For once, he gazed into her young face and saw instead the child Isopia had once been to him. Their skull markings were too similar, and he no longer saw Confutatis in the dark whorls of her spirit. Merely a filly brought into life with the burden of a legacy she could not change, could hardly contest. 

Kaj pitied her for the blackened shadow she lived beneath, an oppressive blanket that her mother's departure could never lift. 

Her quiet voice seemed at odds with her mention of Confutatis in the herd meeting, but the Aurelight had grunted a quiet acquiescence nonetheless. A meeting, nothing more. She was part of his flock now, and he would give her due attention when she asked it of him. As if any other matters could not be attended to later anyways. 

In solitude the stallion wandered through the lower meadows, idly watching the sharp streaks of light bouncing off frosted tree limbs and frozen blades of grass that crackled beneath his formidable weight. She lay along the horizon, a fissure of black in a world going grey and white, slowly dying and withering into aged silence blanketed by snow and ice. He approached her quietly, sunlight and shadow meeting on neutral ground, tied to the same family and name in an ironic twist of fate. 

"What is it you wished to speak to me about?" He rumbled, not seeing the point or desire to beat around the proverbial bush. One hip cocked and head tilted to regard her, a pleasant, relatively at-ease pose. They were enemies no longer, after all. If they ever even had been. 

It's like a dream but I swear it's daylight 
I'm falling into darkness swallowed by the deepest night
It's like a bad dream but it's god damned daylight 
image credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer

Nymeria watched him coming.

Lilómiel drifted down towards her withers, coming to perch on the mass of scar tissue. He watched as well.

They were not discreet. Neither of them felt the need. In a herd setting, respect, and, in turn, discretion, was due—but without the issues that would arise from others being around to observe, Nymeria wanted to be upfront. She was curious about Kaj, and she wanted to learn more about him—but she was also cautious of him, and the manner of which he might treat her due to the history between him and Confutatis.

As he came closer, Nymeria realized first and foremost how much larger he was than she’d expected. The Czar must’ve been at least a hand taller than her, and his body—toned and muscular—had its fair share of nicks and scrapes. Her gaze flitted from his wings (broad, massive) to his face; and her expression, which had been bordering on wary, softened, opened. (Or, at least it appeared to open up.) Despite his scars, despite his behemoth of a body, there was nothing hard about his face—it was, instead, world-weary, and perhaps with an inclination towards kindness.

Note to self: it should be easy to avoid aggravating him.

His voice was deeper than she expected (what is it you wished to speak to me about?)

Nymeria blinked, letting a touch of anxiety flash across her face. Her eyes were just wide enough to express awe (or aspirations)—but nothing too melodramatic. On her shoulders, Lilómiel snorted, smoke curling up from his nostrils in disgusted amusement.  Don’t you think you’re laying it on rather thick?

Of course not. You only think that because you’re in my head. If I’m meeting my leader for the first time, I should be anxious. (“Should” was the key word. She still didn’t feel near as nervous as she “should.”)

The grullo cleared her throat, lifting her head. Now that Kaj was here, it felt strangely embarrassing to be asking him for permission for a fight… but there was no helping it. It was what she should do, after all. It’s what a good little herd member would do.

“When I was a filly, a colt—older than me—attacked me without reason. Now that I’m older—stronger—I was hoping to challenge him, and show him the wrong of his actions. The only thing is… I figured I should ask you or Archibald first, seeing as he might be an ally of some sort. Or you might not want me to fight…? Anyways. Um. He was dark, mottled gray, eyes like stone. A unicorn, heavy draft sort, lion tail I think.”

I don’t think you should remember him that clearly. Suspicious.

I’m a spy. I’m supposed to have a head for details.

“I think… he must be at least a couple years old by now. Maybe three or four. I don’t know him by name though.”

I get high, and I love to get low
So the hearts keep breaking, and the heads just roll

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
KAJ
the aurelight

Her eyes trace across the canvas of his body, and he calmly allows her scrutiny, staring down at her with eyes like cold blue skies on a frozen winter morning. He is at peace and unbothered, here in the heart of his home, where she is both sister and flock to tend. If she seeks to harm him, she may confront him. He is unafraid, perhaps – if he searches deep within the recesses of his emotions – he is even curious. Who has she become, away from the side of her mother? Is she tainted eternally by the blood in her veins, or has she deigned to rise above it? From a personal standpoint it is none of Kaj’s business. As her Czar, he cares only to the point of her keeping her nose where it belongs. All else aside, he will tend, cater, and care for her as much as any other. Names hold no sway here in his heart or in his land, and she will have to prove herself worthy through her own might.

She shifts anxiously, but Kaj waits her out. Whatever it is she’s feeling, he won’t intrude upon it. Not until she specifically mentions it, or it’s relevant to their conversation. With the precise removal of his memories, he is less inclined to inquire about her emotional state. The dragon on her shoulders garners a momentary glance, but his eyes are for the ruby orbs before him – he will not focus on the prickle of bitter loneliness that he always feels when faced with a companion. You were not good enough to earn one, fool. Stop your pitiful longing. As if any poor creature deserved to be saddled with the warped soul he clutched possessively in his ribs.

Nymeria finally speaks – it is odd, how her voice is so different from her mothers. How she is different. Slimmer, more attuned to the femininity she is born with. Kaj can’t help but wonder if she uses that to her advantage, can’t help but see the shadow of his old foe in the familiar markings on her face. But he is blind to whatever seduction women have, too far removed from his own sexuality to care about such trivial things. He hears only the sad tale she weaves, and whether it’s true…he cannot discern. It’s not his job to be so critical and wary of a singular herd member, an unfair disadvantage for her.

“Your title does not keep you from fighting as any beast can,” he corrects her simply in the deep dip of his voice. “I would never encourage you to restrict yourself as such.” As for her request…well that was a little different. “You are an Illusor however, and so if you wish to challenge this boy –” shoulders shrug for a moment, not uncaring but indifferent perhaps “- then merely ensure he is a viable opponent. If he is an outcast that is preferable, if not then return to me with whatever you discover about him and we will proceed from there.” Kaj would not risk an alliance for the sake of a petty squabble between children, one the boy may have rightfully forgotten. But he would still give Nymeria her chance at vindication.

“Otherwise, you have my blessing. Fight well.”

It's like a dream but I swear it's daylight
I'm falling into darkness swallowed by the deepest night
It's like a bad dream but it's god damned daylight 
image credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!