the Rift

[OPEN] In the Meadow

Oultik Posts: 18
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 hh :: 7 Years HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Erakro :: Lion :: None TierRen
Oultik

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong.

No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first.

And is waiting for it."

-Terry Pratchett

In the Thistle Meadow Oultik and his lion cub had found meals. Oultik's cloven hooves pawed through the snow and frost to uncover the bittersweet grasses that remained. Erakro crunched on the mangled remains of a hare that had not fared through the Frostfall as well as the grasses her companion ate. The cub curled her lip in just as much distaste for Oultik's eating of grass as what he did whenever he had caught sight of her dragging the scavenged carcass towards where he had been lounging.

"Be sure that you rinse your tongue thoroughly before grooming time this evening." He called back to her as the morning sun settled above the meadow. Erakro only grinned in response. Grooming time had become a tradition between the pair. Although Oultik sometimes complained that her tongue had been dirtied by the meat that she had often scavenged for, and even though Erakro thought Oultik arranged her hair in a funny way; both of them looked forward to the time that each spent grooming the other.

Oultik was proud of the lion cub and how well she grew. Lifting his head from his attempt at grazing he watched the cub play with one of the larger bones that was left from her meal. Seeing her toss the bone about and pounce on it made him see what she would one day become; a marvelous hunter. He had become haunted by his own ranking on the food chain. Oultik could not shake the worry that Erakro and himself were only temporary companions. Though he was not a man to fret Oultik did whenever it came to the cub he considered his daughter. The stallion did not wish to be a mere passing phase of her life, no different than if Erakro had been of his bloodline.

It was not his only worry for her future as a hunter. While watching her leap and pounce Oultik eyed her form. Would she learn how to properly hunt her prey? Or would his inadequacy leave her to scavenge for the rest of her years?

[Image: outlik_pixel_by_danjahmouse_d9wbjh9_by_t...9zd0je.gif] [Image: VsRNHQ7.png]

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer

Kaj and Archibald wanted horses to start stepping up to their titles.

Nymeria couldn’t blame them. The Hidden Falls, peaceful as it was, had a sort of stagnancy to it that was hard to ignore—the kind that made danger seem laughably far away and dulled even the sharpest warriors. It might’ve been the constant rainbows, or the low thunder of the falls, or something else entirely; but whatever the case, the call to arms provided Nymeria the perfect opportunity to prove her dedication to the herd.

And that was before the patrolling.

When she’d been assigned to a taskforce with Knox, she’d been a touch surprised. As far as she was aware, this winter would be the first time spies (or illusors, as the Falls called them) would be expected to participate in a job that required practically no brain and certainly little skill.  It felt like a spectacular waste of resources.

(But who was she to complain?) (And thus, she remained quiet and… opportunistic.)

It was Lilómiel who first noticed the blood on the air.

It was Nymeria who decided they’d follow it.

Snow crunched beneath her hooves as she followed her dragon. The black coasted ahead—wings beating once every so often—jaws languidly parted, tail feathers occasionally twitching to make a course adjustment. Nym didn’t question his tracking, instead flaring her nostrils and drinking in the ripening, painfully familiar scent. It was strange to think that that smell—all coarse iron—had once been a constant source of anxiety for her.

She didn’t often think about how having a herd had changed her. For a long time, she’d thought the Falls had done nothing for her. (She’d come to realize she was painfully wrong about that.)

The dense pines began to thin, and the companions broke free into the Thistle Meadow.

Was it wrong to say she was disappointed by the scene of the crime? Nymeria had been hoping for a murder—for a bloodbath!—or even an agonizing, everything’s-gone-wrong birth. Those would’ve been stories worth sharing, she thought (and for a moment a memory of flame and screams interrupted her thinking), information worth telling. And instead she had nothing: nothing but a stallion and his companion, a cub (a charlatan!) playing with bones.

Lilómiel hissed, banking back towards her. We could mug them.

I don’t think that’d go over well.

“Hello!” Nymeria called, striking out towards the stranger. There was no sign of her dismay—instead a merry smile lit up her face, and her buxom hips swung in a flirtatiously artistic pattern. He was remarkably handsome, with his spots and his stripes and his wild eyes—and she thought she’d spotted something shiny on him.

Something pointy, like her brother’s dagger.  

You said you'd wait forever... but I blinked, and the world was gone.
image credits

@Oultik
OOC: Do you want to be tagged every post?

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Oultik

No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first.

And is waiting for it."

-Terry Pratchett

“Hello!” Oultik gladly gave his his gaze to another other than Erakro. With his attention changed he hoped to also do away with his common thoughts; his fretting, his love, his play.. the stallion welcomed a break from the cub. 'Though I do love her so,' Oultik amended his thoughts towards his bonded, his daughter, 'this is another sort of female I would enjoy time with.' He did not hide the attention that he gave the sway of her gait. It sent his pulse racing. The tilt of her smile tugged him closer.

"Greetings." Erakro, however, had no interest in the woman. She was too occupied with her play but whenever she caught sight of the dragon the cub scampered over to hide beneath Oultik. For a moment he was stunned. Then confused. Once he followed Erakro's wide eyed look he knew.

Oultik sidestepped, forcing his cub to be out in the open. Turning from the mare he faced Erakro, "Be not condemned by fear," the stallion firmly met the cub's wide eyed look with his own steady gaze, "To do so would dishonor your given name and the predator you will become." Worry briefly returned to the man. It came to dull the sharp look of his eyes. Oultik gathered his wit quickly and exiled the concern for the cub that plagued him. He could not allow Erakro to see such an expression whenever she needed to borrow courage.

Shaking his head the stallion knelt and whispered in the lion's ear, "It is no more than a fancy bat." Erakro had once caught a bat herself. The comparison made her smirk; a fang poked out of one side. Proud as any father would  be Oultik ruffled her hair before standing, There we go.

Oultik turned back to face the mare. "She is my priority. I must be sure that she grows into an able predator. Those with might should not scavenge." His turning back on her could be interpreted as rude but Oultik saw no reason to apologize for his action. Should Erakro need his guidance again he would not hesitate. Apologies are only for things that one regrets, that they would not do again.

To keep Erakro occupied and her thoughts away from her concern about the dragon that was present he flicked his tail about. It was the cub's favorite practice game. Away she rushed to a nearby cluster of grass to hide. In it she prepared to pounce. "I am Oultik," he flicked his ears back as the cub burst forth from the tall grass. He smiled as she landed directly on his tail, "and she is Erakro." Oultik winced and stomped a back hoof as she began to chew on her prize. Erakro pouted and whenever the stallion tried to pull his tail away she slapped a paw down on it and began to groom the hairs.

@Nymeria tagging is great for me! What about you, to tag or not to tag? (;
[Image: outlik_pixel_by_danjahmouse_d9wbjh9_by_t...9zd0je.gif] [Image: VsRNHQ7.png]

She was magnetic—and the stallion, prey to her whims, fell in closer, drawn towards the scintillating shifts of her hips and the smile painted across her lips. As he came she let still her flirtatious movements, instead carrying the momentum of her friendliness into her gaze flickering across Oultik's fletched rump and unnerving eyes and wickedly curving horns. She ogled, she admired, with open regard (all with a faint sense of distaste in her thoughts, though it did not show on her face); and then her eyes, after a slow and luxurious crawl over his body, came to settle on the deep and blank blues of his scrutiny.

Red eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, amber eyes—she'd seen it all before. But never had she seen eyes without any pupils.

He spoke aloud to the cub scampering beneath him, words of fear and dishonor. Nymeria let her brows pinch together in a humbling portrait of pondering. She wondered if the stallion said such things for her benefit—if he sought to impress her with his speech's archaic and somewhat bland nature. It was only when she caught the dullness veiling the former acuity of his eyes and the faint, vexing twitch to his brow that she found herself deciphering his worry for his companion. (Perhaps this show was not meant for her after all. It seemed to be about the cub after all.)

Lilómiel, with a mocking chirp, circled down to perch upon Nymeria's shoulders.

The stallion lowered his head, sunlight flashing on his horns, lips shaping words she could not quite have the heart to intrude upon. Instead she waited, and annotated her previous thoughts.

At last the stallion turned to face her. Those with might should not scavenge, he told her—a polite albeit unexpected statement. It revealed more of him than, perhaps, he realized; or perhaps the statement was calculated, a veiled prod at her own nature. Nymeria's brows arched upwards thoughtfully (in a delicate manoeuvre of her own), a slightly wolfish smile hovering about her ashen lips. Once again she made adjustments to the shape of the man before her, but she did not offer him an explanation. Instead she waited, and for her patience she was rewarded with his name and title.

The wolf cleared her throat, swishing her tail across her flanks.  "I'm Nymeria, of the Hidden Falls," she declared, and she took a step closer to the stranger. Her eyes, ruby red and shrouded with the shadows cast by her long lashes, twinkled with mischievousness. "So, are you a scavenger or a hunter?"

image credits

@Oultik
OOC: I prefer to be tagged!

Oultik

And is waiting for it."

-Terry Pratchett

"Nymeria, of the Hidden Falls," his straight face was betrayed by the laughter in his eyes. Despite how guarded Oultik was around those he did not know his eyes would always tell what his lips may never put to voice. "To you what to I appear? A scavenger?" With a foreleg he nudged Erakro from where she had come topossessively lay in front of him, tired from her play, and he moved close to Nymeria. His eyes had calmed their laughter and he sought to meet her eyes of crimson. "Or a hunter?"

Moving his gaze from the eyes that captivated him Oultik watched a strand of hair in her forelock. To him it looked misplaced, "Should I even ask what it is that you are?" A perfectionist without care for bounds, the stallion reached to lay the hair how he saw fit. If she would allow him he would caress her silky hair, reluctant to pull away. Erakro was a dear addition to his life but the stallion had more need than what she could give. More than what he had ever allowed any to give, even those who had been capable. Away from his responsibilities he was beginning to wonder if losing his magic had not been the gods setting him free from his obligation to the past. Away from responsibilities he felt the yearning for all that he had missed. While on his own Oultik was painfully aware of all that could have been. It was why he had surrounded himself with others who had also been cheated out of their 'could have been's and their 'may be's. Oultik's eyes, that had previously been lit with withheld laughter darkened with brooding. The stallion pulled away from Nymeria with a humorless expression.

Oultik walked back to where Erakro lay, she had been pouting after having been moved aside, and she scrambled to stand after Oultik turned towards her. The cub struggled to understand the emotion that she felt from her bonded. Had the stranger upset him? Made brazen by the protective urge she felt towards her father she started to growl but was stopped short whenever Oultik thrust his head against her side. He drank in her smell and leaned on her presence. Erakro wrapped herself around him. The pair stayed like that until the man had pulled himself together. He moved to pull away but the lion pulled his head close again and licked his ear twice before letting him go. He gave her a tight smile and looked back to Nymeria, "In coming to this land I am being reminded what loneliness is." And Oultik was ill equipped to handle emotions so strong.

@Nymeria I have wrote this post so many times over that it is unreal. I am so sorry for the wait and I hope that Oultik halfway makes sense here.

Was he laughing at her? There was certainly a sparkle in his eyes. She bristled—her features tightened, her mouth slipped into a knife-edge smile—and then she drew back, shoving her emotions back within her shell. The stallion nudged the lion away from his foot; snow rustled and shuddered beneath his touch as he prowled towards her.

She is hit with revulsion, pummelled by disgust.

Once more her smile flickers, this time callous and sinuous, hungry and sexual. Her emotions have no place on her face; they are bottled and tucked away, where they will not interfere with her plans. So when he (handsome and dark and friendly) cuts the distance between them and purrs growls asks her questions in tone of command, she shifts forward, angling herself towards him in a show of attraction. "You're my prey," she breathes, stepping forward to meet him. Teeth brush over forehead, shifting the tangled locks, correcting their fall; she is irritated (my hair is perfect the way it is) but she says and shows nothing.

The stallion pulled away, except she wouldn't let him.

As he steps back she creeps forward, hips swaying—sensual, felid, predatory. There's no explanation or precedent for this side of her—she acts only on instinct, marching on despite her decided unhappiness. Now their interactions are resolving themselves into a test. What could she get away with? What could she force him to do?

Lilómiel quietly asks her to stop. (You don't want this.)

Volterra wants to have sex constantly. Why shouldn't I find out what's so great about it?

The stallion turns to her, grievous and solemn. Confessions are on his lips. She swallows them, devours them, and they taste like wine. "You don't have to be alone," she tells him. This time she isn't quite so desperate in her advance. There's a genuine understanding in her voice; she, too, has often felt alone. And more and more often she has begun to realize others share in that damning feeling. "I'm here for you if you ever need me... but first I need a name."

image credits

@Oultik