the Rift

[OPEN] Bug a Boo [Crafting]

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
sweet, sugar, candyman

Well I don’t know, I guess it’s about time that I do some crafting this season, eh? Frostfall makes me so lazy! Which is kind of ironic considering it’s my favouritest of seasons and I love being out and about when it’s all snowy and wonderful. Which is probably why I’ve been procrastinating because even though I absolutely adore my work and I’m super excited to be travelling to the other herds in Birdsong, there are snow horses that need to be made and a little griffin that needs to be taught about the joy of this season!

Jellybean, however, is more interested in napping. The fact that she’s getting to be too big to sit on my head doesn’t deter her from trying every single day. Our usual sleeping position involves me sprawled out on my side and her sprawled out over my head. Which occasionally works in my favour because her fluffy, fat body blocks out the light and I can sleep longer!

Today, though, today I need to be up and about and it takes a little bit of convincing but Jellybean eventually agrees to sploot on his back so that he can move about while she continues her very important dream about finally being able to fly. Her wings are growing in pretty nicely! Which is still weird, and her bird-half isn’t quite so ugly anymore. The white fluff has given away to sleeker white and pink feathers. We’re a matching set, you know.

I’m particularly fond of how the undersides of her wings are the most delightful shade of pink! I keep trying to get her to show it off, to learn how to fly, but she just wants to nap so whatever, I’m going to get to work. I can’t even send Jellybean to go find Albrecht, who owes me some material gathering, so I wander around the caves for a bit calling his name “Albrecht! Allllbreecchhttt!” Which I think is a lot nicer than the way he had demanded my attention but I can't find him and haven't memorized the cave system yet so I abandon that quest and start to head toward the forest where I'll be able to find some dormant plants that conveniently fit my needs. It's time to do some crafting, bitches!

Belatedly, I remember my apprentices but it's such a nice day and I don't want to walk all the way back to the caves to gather them up.

doing some crafting!
@Albrecht (as per their agreement in exchange for the scarf? xD we could do it at a later time if you don't have the time now!)

other crafters/members are invited but this isn't mandatory or anything, just gonna tag y'all in case you feel like showing up
@Ahvelyn @Calder @Eldala

since the season is almost up you've got a week to post and then I'll reply with Johnny doing the thing :D
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
The sing-song clamor of infantile lilts in tone is unmistakable – and conveniently pinpointing exactly where the caroler is as he roams around the Basins inner caverns. Peppermint-Johnny is skipping along (at least, that’s how the old man pictures him moving since nothing else would seem appropriate) projecting his voice ahead of him like a foghorn of warning. Run, Albrecht! It calls, though he hardly needs to be hasty to avoid the Weavers cursory search. He’s really just skimming along the well-worn tracks and expecting his prey to present itself. Not likely, the old man snorts, safely tucked into a dark corner of the rock walls, but as he listens to the gradually softening noise a tinge of guilt pricks at his senses and sends his ears flicking back and forth uneasily.

The wrap of soft, undyed wool around his neck suddenly seems to weigh an inordinate amount. Normally cozy and warm, the scarf is now inexplicably uncomfortable, soothing pressure turned to choking collar. Had the crafter bewitched it? Or is the old coot just being overly sensitive? He believed in keeping promises once... but for now he'd rather accuse and blame than risk the pain of introspection. “Fucking bullshit.” He mutters, shaking his mane-less, bearded neck in aggravation. Why should an old man like him have to go bumbling through the woods searching for twigs and leaves? Isn’t that what apprentices are for? Phantoms aren’t assigned that duty! But despite his inward complaints the black moves forward and out of his hiding spot, dragging his hooves along the tiny, slush filled tracks of the Weaver. Even his hoofprints smell of peppermint.

OOC // @Johnny You can notice him following or have him catch up whenever. :)

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Outcast
sweet, sugar, candyman

The scowling, swearing voice was incredibly familiar by now but instead of inspiring a similar (if cheerier) version of the reaction in myself it brought forth a bright smile. I turned towards him, shaking my head at the sight. “Oh cheer up Albrecht, your sentence is almost over!” All he had to do was help out with this one liiiittle project and then he wouldn't need to help out ever again! Which would be a shame because I was starting to like him!

Jellybean wasn't quite convinced about him but she chirped in his direction as we caught up with each other in the forest. She peered around Johnny’s neck to get a good look at this new creature. But decided that sleep was more important and cuddled back in to her bonded’s back. “This is Jellybean!”

Johnny reached into the bag at his side and pulled out a dried cotton plant - the leaves dried around the fluffy seed head. “We need to find a couple more of these plants, they’re in this area so it shouldn’t be too hard. And I can duck under any branches you can’t fit beneath!” Well, just because I wanted his help didn’t mean that I wanted him to be uncomfortable.  

I smiled at him before continuing to scout for the helpful little plant.

Once we had a good store of it, I sat down on my haunches - much like I did on the first time we met!  Except there had been a sleeping companion on my back (sometimes I forgot about her) so she tumbled with very little grace into the snow. “Beautiful, isn't it!” Oh. It was still just a pile of dead plants. “Uh, well it will be beautiful soon anyway. Thank you for the help Albrecht! Your debt is paid.” Such serious words. I should make barters like this more often!

I sat there and stared at the pile for another moment or two before getting to work. Tapping into that lovely, incredible magic that the herd gave me and taking the fibres from the plants and weaving them together.

The blankets I made were soft and thick and settled gently into the snow. Not too bad at all! Nice and simple, they were going to be perfect for trades! Jellybean, grumbling and upset, waddled over to inspect them herself.

Guess she must like them because she crawled right in and settled in for a nap!

@Albrecht
Posted from my phone because it's the last day and I forgot :| so sorry for any typos or weirdness!
please tag in all posts

The Peppermint-Pony is as bright and overzealous as ever, flashing his white teeth in a welcoming grin, but today there’s something new about him too. Sprawled across his sugary back (and in exactly the style one would expect from an ally of Johnny) is some sort of patchwork creature, apparently made from all the leftover pieces of other animals. It’s got a little beak and little wings, but it’s also got little paws and a little fluff-tipped tail that doesn’t seem to belong to either birds or dogs and, as if the rest of the details aren’t incongruous enough, it’s edges and undersides are as pink as any blooming peony he’s ever seen. What a pair they are.

“A companion?” He questions, but as the rosy Feather-Fluff squeaks its own ‘hello,’ Johnny waves a dried out branch of something in the old man’s face, explaining that this is the material he needs gathered. Albrecht’s less than crystalline eyes have just enough time to focus on the stringy tufts of white at the branches ends before the Weaver bounds away, clearly intent on finding the things he needs before the morning ends. Morose as ever, the elder sighs his discontent and shuffles away to nose at sticks and branches made bare by the season, accidentally jabbing himself on more than one occasion but managing to bring a few mouthfuls of the plant back to Johnny’s pile, each one tossed down with more abandon than the last.

Finally the crafter plops himself down, unceremoniously dismounting his Dog-Bird in the process, and scrunches his eyes in concentration. Slowly, though possibly quicker than the last time Albrecht witnessed the Weaver’s magic, the plants white fibers straighten and detach from their twigs, twining and crisscrossing together until several evenly woven blankets assemble before them. The blankets lay in a neat pile, apparently finished, and the unhappy Dog-Bird stomps right up and into them like they’ve been made especially her. Maybe they were? Albrecht snorts approvingly as she burrows into the pile and shifts them around to cover her every feather and fluff. At least one of them has a little sense.

OOC // I didn't want to leave this unfinished. They're too much fun together. :P

@Johnny

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Outcast
sweet, sugar, candyman

Although I would not have been surprised if Albrecht, resident old grump with a suspected gooey and soft centre, had moved off and I didn’t hear from him ever again - I was super thrilled that he didn’t. He lingered!! You guys!! I mean I was grinning before because Jellybean is being just too damn cute, snuggling into the blankets like she did - giving them a little test drive - but it only gets worse because Albrecht stayed. Green eyes shining, I look at him with a smile that you just want to smack off my face. “I really do appreciate your help, Albrecht! How have you been?” I genuinely wanted to know! Hopefully the scarf I made him was working out alright!

I might be biased but it did still look rather wonderful on him. Dashing even. I don’t really know much about him but I bet a scarf that skillfully made would help pick up the ladies or gents (or both) that he preferred! A great topic starter and an even better statement of impeccable taste.

Oh right, I’m not supposed to be patting myself on the back for a job well done - I want to talk to Albrecht more!

While I had been waving plants in his face and talking about what we needed, I had totally forgotten to answer his question about Jellybean! “And yes! Sorry I didn’t answer your question before, but she is a companion. Apparently she’s a griffin?” Jellybean perked a little bit at this description - her still-growing crown unfolding into a mohawk that I think signaled her interest? I don’t know, we’re still learning about each other but she does seem to respond to me whenever I talk about her. I beam down at the strange creature that had hatched out of an egg for me before looking up to Albrecht again. “Though I’ve been told no one has seen one quite like her before.”

Yeah that's not exactly surprising but she's still the cutest thing I've ever seen.

@Albrecht :D
please tag in all posts

“Alright,” He answers mildly, cocking his head to examine the ‘Griffin’ more closely, or what little of her is visible among the pile of magically woven blankets. A little crest of rosy feathers rises along the top of her head as Johnny speaks, mimicking the way the stallions ears would cup forward when they’re listening to something with interest. Albrecht takes a curious step forward, reaching out his nose to snuff at the creature. He’s seen a few companions before, animals of all shapes and sizes that are somehow irrevocably bound to their partners (even natural predators, interestingly), but they usually seem so distant and unfriendly when anyone else is near, or maybe they only act that way toward him specifically. He does tend to have that effect.

Questions string together in his mind, following and building off one another - What makes them different from regular animals? Are they magic? How do they bond with someone? Why do they bond? Where do they come from? - But instead of bombarding the Weaver with what might seem like genuinely stupid questions to someone more familiar with Helovia than he, he settles on just one inquiry to get the ball rolling. “Where do companions come from?” He’s fairly certain the Peppermint Pony will rattle off an entire dissertation on the subject anyway. The only thing bigger than the guys flamboyant presence is his mouth after all, so he doubts he'll need more prompting than that and settles in for a long explanation. It's not like the old bastard has anything better to do with everyone still in a hissy about the herd meeting. Might as well learn something new and possibly useful.

OOC// @Johnny

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC