the Rift

:: Your Next SWP ::

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
Your Next SWP

What would your next, ideal SWP be!
Would you give Helovia a more upgraded feel with collaborative buildings? (Like the Rotunda but bigger)
Would you do herd related SWPs? Like a mini SWP for each herd?
Would you do a dark SWP?
A light SWP?

Give me your thoughts, feelings, ideas and what YOU would love to see!

Mortuus Nox Posts: 187
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: Immortal HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Dressy
I think that the Herd mini SWP would be really cool, because there would be somethig different for each little zone. I am not sure how you would be the Outcasts, but I am sure that yall would figure it out!

Also A Dark SWP would be fun as well. I am not sure how to go about that but maybe some type of plants or weeds start taking over the Land and we would have to figure out what Kills them. I think the Idea of something trying to take over would be fun :)

Please tag Mortuus Nox in all posts
magic & permanent injury is permitted excluding death.

Psilo Posts: 0
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'6" :: March of 1990
--
I think something to make the Herds rely on one another. Like perhaps one gets flooded, or perhaps a herd/group gets stuck somewhere (flooding, storm, fire or whatever) and needs the aid of another herd.

It will be good to fuel alliances & enemies, so everyone has a personal reason to love/hate, ya know? So yeah. Without the rambling - my idea is to create situations where the herds may have to rely on one anothers kindness or maybe try to destroy one another in a moment of weakness...

Basically DISASTERS (and injuries!) EVERYWHERE!

So yeah. Idk.
I'll come back here with more ideas xD
it's still early
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
I WANT SOMETHING ABOUT KAOS.

I'm not much a fan of buildings.
But I do really like the idea of herd mini SWPs!
And I would do either a light or a dark. Like. I'm open. My body is ready. Throw them at me. :D
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Psilo Posts: 0
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'6" :: March of 1990
--
^^ YES.
THAT.

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
HERD MINI SWPS FUCK FUCKING YES

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Bunnie the Bonnie Lass Posts: 9
OOC Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 25
Bunnie
as a side note that horse mask scares the hell out of me

A Heart Caves creature? I know we've had plots down there before, but that room of impenetrable darkness sure seems like there would be hellacious beasties down there.

Orrrr maybe two shrines of sort pop up down there, one seemingly innocuous enough and the other having a bit more of an insidious flair to it. Characters can chose to leave an offering at either shrine, which will result, after a certain number of offerings, in either a positive/negative effect (oh yeah, everyone who helped shrine A gain power gets shiny things - but you nonbelievers get bees.) or a negative/positive effect (those who didn't offer to the shrine are left with permanent marks - much like the Sun plot - and those who did have to fight some creature of darkness to get their shinies).

Of course, the shrines will need some sort of keepers to drum up interest, or a natural allure to them that makes people want to worship them. Or, in the instance of people being like "yeah screw those" there could be a third result pending if the vast majority of folks don't drop something at either shrine.

OR a scavenger hunt, or ICly a series of quests, given by our beloved NPCs and Gods. Each round gives participants a certain number of to-do's, which are anything from doing certain things, going certain places, ect. The quests will steadily become more difficult or numerous per tier the event tenders encounter. Some ideas for quests would be:
- Visit three wild locations
- Go fishing
- Gather flowers from four different biomes
- Get a feather

It would require players to work together, both with their characters and with the NPC account. Characters or character teams (it could work either way for this SWP!) who completed all the tasks during that round get a special prize, characters who completed over half a smaller prize, ect. while, of course, we have the SWP point shop coinciding!

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob
I honestly want another shipping plot because shipping people makes me happy. KAOS NEEDS TO HAPPEN AS WELL!! Um, I like the herd mini SWPS too because it will drum up inner drama and also bonding, plus Myrrine wants to help her herd and I think doing things within the herd will not only encourage outcasts to join because they're bonding through helping, but it gives character development for characters within herds!
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3

Sarah Posts: 7
Junior Administrator
Mare :: Equine :: 5'6'' :: 26
Sarah
Personally, I don't see the point of buildings. I know we add a lot of human elements to our characters but they're still supposed to be wild animals, right?

Perhaps a mini SWP for herds could be one of the rewards for winning Herd Champs so many months in a row. Reward activity with a fun plot! I don't know if the idea was to have 4 at one time but even with mini SWPs it might get to be too much and it could be easier/harder for some herds to complete the SWP due to their numbers - which makes it a little biased. Added strife is great but it's good to make sure everyone has an equal chance of completing/getting the rewards.

Both light and dark SWPs are great but I'd probably lean toward a lighter one, especially after the Kaos stuff comes into play more (which, I'm assuming, is going to be dark lol). We're all so good at torturing our characters and making them miserable, a chance to have a bit of light-hearted fun getting thrown into the mix would (I think) be a great change of pace for a little while :) The shipping plot was a fun, ridiculous thing for example and if I remember correctly had a pretty great turn out!

Calstron Posts: 43
World's Edge Protector
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8
Goatfairy
I think that both a mini herd land plot would be great as well as a full/overall kinda swp

Like, within the herds theres this little fun type thing that each herd does(maybe like the shipping plots that were mentioned or scavenger hunts) as a sort of comic relief from all the drama. Then, over the entire site we have some sort of dramatic plot including "Kaos" trying to make everyone racist again or something. Not necessarily truly crazy evil or anything but like, creating drama and strife but if all the characters can overcome it together then we get to vote on a new collaborative building to make at the end...which could also be a little mini-ish swp plot in and of itself too!

Maybe, within the whole site plot we could do a lottery type thing were a few random characters get sekrit PMs instructing them what role their character will play. Like "-BillyJean- gets taken over by Kaos after entering the Riptide Isles and must go (I mean idk) infect one other character to pass on the possession trail" Or something like that but NO ONE else knows except the admin that PMed them. Like admins could agree on the general idea but have full freedom deciding who to PM and what the instructions are(barring permanent maiming and like deathz ofc). So that way its fun drama for both the players and the character?

Idk, just throwing ideas around. I think its really cool that we can throw stuff around though, really cool thread! Thanks admin! <3

ChaoticMelodies Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 16.2 hh :: 23 years
ChaoticMelodies
I would love to see more strife between the herds, especially since the new invasion rules are about to be released. :3 Unfortunately, I don't have any brilliant ideas about how to bring that about, but I DO have another idea!

So, not 100% sure how this would work, but what if there was a giant Helovian tournament? It doesn't have to be called by the gods, but it could be. I know we've done similar things in the past, but maybe with this one, each god (or herd?) chooses his or her (its?) "champion" to compete in the tournament (or one champion for each event? And then of course anyone can enter, because everyone should be able to participate, duh?) - anyway, however it would be done, the "champions" should have consequences if they lose --

Or, okay, so it's an open tournament with multiple events, and maybe the gods secretly pick a champion and like threaten them if they fail/promise them glory if they win/something along those lines/IDK.

Idk.

But I think a dark plot would be really fun right now too - or something where it's /supposed/ to be light and happy and fun but the darkness comes in and RUINS EVERYTHING BUAHAHAHAHA.
(I really love Goatfairy's idea above, btw).

Hawk Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 6' :: 7493 Years
Hawk
What would your next, ideal SWP be!
Would you give Helovia a more upgraded feel with collaborative buildings? (Like the Rotunda but bigger)

Ugh, I kind of like it like it is? Some temples for the gods might be cool! But nothing too modern. I think the natural feel of the environments helps keep helovia unique.

LOVE THIS IDEA. YES YES YES. Especially as each has different environments already, and their own magical creatures you could really do a lot with this.

Would you do a dark SWP? A light SWP?
Either one. I think a light SWP would be interesting.., but then the darker ones are fun too! Plus the gods hinted that all was not well at the end of the last one! But I have always liked the option recently that if you didn't want to be in the main swing of plots you didn't have to. I usually do, but I like it being somewhat optional? I know I'm not much help, but there's my thoughts anyway!

Wanderer Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5' 4" :: 17
aka wanda
What would your next, ideal SWP be? I remember when I first joined Helovia there was (as I recall) more player-to-RE interaction, like active characters being gifted or even cursed by RE events. Over time as Helovia has grown this seems to have... not disappeared, but definitely become more rare. I understand this is probably due to time constraints on the admins' part (or perhaps a desire to avoid hurt feelings) but I'm nostalgic for those little things rather than the big events affecting everyone, at least at the moment :P

Would you give Helovia a more upgraded feel with collaborative buildings? (Like the Rotunda but bigger) I love human architecture in equine settings, but to me it doesn't mesh well with Helovia's style—so no.

I love this idea! Only bit I'm apprehensive about is if each SWP becomes "routine"—I don't want to have a character in a herd who is affected by a mini-SWP and know I'm going to have to kill a monster. But generally yes I'm supportive of this and I WANT IT :D

Would you do a dark SWP?
A light SWP?

Dark is fun. Light is fun. *casual shrug* Really SWPs are fun in general haha.
However, as mentioned by Jen I prefer it when SWPs are more optional. I don't want my character to be punished if I'm not able to participate (but I think admins generally understand this so I'm not too worried.)

Chan Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 17hh :: 25
Chan
I want EVERYTHING mwahaha :D

But yeah, I'm a bit torn when it comes to upgraded feel with buildings, because while I do love structures and systems and trading etc, I get nitpicky and micromanaging and so I have a hard time getting around the fact that horses don't really -need- buildings, stored food or tools. They eat grass, grass is plentiful. They have thick winter coats, so no need for buildings to shelter against the weather. I adore items for embellishment, like jewelry and bags and clothes and I definitely like weapons, but other than that...

Hm. Maybe if it's upgraded structures with a purpose? Like temple for the gods, storage for books and learning, healing facilities etc... but in a Helovianesque style that keeps close to nature and never go beyond steampunk technology? I'd much rather see emphasis on trading between the herds and with individual crafters than big horseland cities.

I'd really love if the magic system could be expanded to make it a bit more flexible, f.ex to make potions, enchant your own items, maybe even learn to create more complicated spells with serious side effects - perhaps this could be combined with a long term SWP where civilization takes off based on a magic power source and then is destroyed apocalypse style. Ie, the gods can hammer down why the Rift happened in the first place. x3 I like rise and fall stories, especially the 'fall' part of it!

As for Light or Dark themed plots, I enjoy both but I feel there is more potential for drama and development in Dark plots, as they generally challenge ones basic nature and require characters to get in touch with themselves/realize their true potential. And of course cool monsters that needs defeating! Whereas my view on Light is the everyday grind with glitter on it - cooperation and staying united and convincing each other that -this- is the way to do it... idk, I think I might be prejudiced. x3

I really liked Goatfairy's example of a plot where we don't know the outcome until the end of it. With the God War plot I felt it did become predictable after the second round, so more varied results would be welcome in my opinion. I don't think the native Helovians necessarily have to win all the time - it would be fun to lose, and have to struggle a bit in order to turn the tables. And even if we're unable to do that, it could be incredibly rewarding - what would happen to the site if we had been unable to defeat one of the gods? What if the Bear managed to maintain control over Blood Falls, and it ended up a zone where the laws of magic and physics were altered - and if that spread, affecting more lands and requiring more effort to put right - or learn to live with.

I think my ideal SWP is one that has no ending - it can be started, yes, and the intensity of it might wane after a while, but effects remain and become a new mainstay. The way we acquired new lands for Helovia was a great idea - maybe it can be possible to expand on flora and fauna in similar ways, and magic, and buildings/structures, whatever we want really! And if it turns out not to work, initiate another SWP to remove it again - because it's a magical site, we can do whatever we want!

All this said, I'm all for smaller plots too. The herd focused plots would be wonderful indeed! I think it would be nice to increase the pantheon of Helovia - not necessarily with gods but maybe other things that affect the life, spiritually and physically. In RE there are a bunch of different creatures represented - maybe we could lift out particularly nasty/benevolent versions and make them a common threat/aid for each herd, something that is recurring but still exciting enough to continue doing. I'm thinking of invasion attempts by griffons on the DT perhaps, or mermaids staking claim to WE, Yetis in the Basin.. and they're not just a one time thing but there's maybe one or two attacks one season, or none at all the next. Things that do actual damage and lasting effects that can't be done using the NPC account.

One simple, fun plot would be if the Gods suddenly switched lands ;D Imagine the struggle if you were a Glazier and suddenly have to learn using stone or cloth, or the confusion among the followers... It'd be fun to search for clues on why they switched, how to make them come back and so on.

aaaand.... Yes. I'll stop here since I had way too much fun with this, sorry if it got hard to understand in places - chan is low on sleep and sugar, ahaha.

Jen Posts: 16
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 14.3 hh :: 21
Jen
Because this got really long...

TLDR; Light swp that doesn't necessarily "end", no herd SWPS (because of potential exclusion/overburden on admin/activity issues), magical history library accessible to all herds that promotes the spread of knowledge reduces admin burden with constant seer meetings and serves as potential threshold replacement/solution/more fair deal.

Maybe this is just my thought, since I missed the shipping plot and some of the lighter ones, but I really think a light plot would be nice. I feel like everything is kind of doom and gloom, lately, which is fun for development but also sways it in one direction. A more light themed plot might give people the opportunity to explore their characters outside of crisis mode, and see what they are like when for once everything is fine. I think it says a lot about a person to see what they do when they are given, for example, a free day where the weather is fine and they have no responsibilities or worries (as much as that is possible, anyway) and I think it would be true of our characters as well.

I'm hesitant about individual herd plots for a few reasons. First of all, they sound like a pain to organize from an admin perspective, since you would have 4 plots instead of one to watch over. Second it excludes outcasts to an extent. Third, herd numbers and activity vary and if your herd happens to be in a period of stagnant activity while it happens and everyone else is in a more active period, it might be a bummer. Also when the herds try to host big events themselves, as far as I have seen they have often struggled to get off the ground (IE winter wonderland.) I know, for example, that Falls simply does not have the numbers that Edge does right now, and not for lack of trying. The threshold is tough (I have thoughts about it below).

As for buildings, I am probably one of the few that is going to vote yes on this. I think some sort of massive temple or library would be amazing. Helovia is four years old and has an extensive history, but (for the most part) it does not have immortal citizens, and some of those who are going to live forever might not be so forthcoming about knowledge. A place to store it would be awesome. Some sort of structure suddenly erected by the Gods (maybe using magical energy or ideas they got from the rift, which surely couldn't have been ALL bad?) And for those not inclined to knowledge, there could be a sort of "battle stage" room. I like the idea of this being open to all herds because it promotes interaction, isn't a plot that necessarily "ends" like Chan said, and levels the playing field some.

I understand and agree with, however, the sentiment that buildings are unnatural, as are many of the things our horses do. My answer to that is: MAGIC. Since I'm very into the library idea, why have books that our horses can't hold or make when in a land of magic there could be halls of stones that, when touched, spoke ancient secrets? What about magically painted murals, portraying great battles and powerful figures that have died (another honor for ascended to earn, perhaps?) Herd crafters and wise ones could bring stones or crafted artifacts to the library to be enchanted to speak history, etc, which would also give seers something to do every season that interacts with their role and a brief RE instead of always calling upon the God, when realistically a god won't always appear and admins won't always have time to write a long conversation with them. This is all just a "for example," but I think it would also help fix another problem...

The threshold and the spread of knowledge. A lot of people hate how long it takes for outsiders to learn about all of helovia, it's a big adjustment and if you want to participate in a drop but your character doesn't even know what a companion/magic is yet, it gets sticky. This is a problem for foals too. They can only bumble around at a drop not knowing anything for so long before it gets boring and hinders their character--it no longer makes sense for them to be there and they can't necessarily interact with the prompts an RE gives them. If there were some sort of great hall of knowledge that characters could pass through upon entering helovia, they could learn this information themselves and even learn about the herds. This would do away with what is (to be honest) sometimes out of character stuff happening where people force a grump/antisocial char/monster/etc to go play nice with strangers just to recruit. If a character was still undecided and people missed writing in the threshold, they could request an NPC sorting hat kind of deal that interacted with them and the person could link them to random.org (ooc of course :P) and the newcomer could randomize what herd they were going to.