the Rift

[OPEN] Warm me up

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
the language of waves</style>

She stood, dripping and shivering, glowering at the waves. Aqua stripes faintly glowed beneath the overcast, grey skies, so great was her ire. Icy droplets ran in zig-zag paths between the plates of her hide. Her ridges were raised, attempting to trap heat, while her face-fins were pinned against her neck. Too-large eyes radiated her palpable displeasure as her long tail was wrapped around her haunches, barbs carefully tucked beneath her lithe barrel.

She was freezing.

Helovia was too cold. The seas were too cold. And the air was too dry. She was stuck between desiccating in the dry air and freezing beneath the frigid waves. Scaled ears pinned flush with her skull, another pulse of light coming from her as a particularly violent wave of shivering shook her athletic body.

A harsh snort rushed from her ridged nostrils, vapor rushing away with the cold breeze. She knew she should head behind the dunes to seek relief from the wind. But, truly, she was too cold to move. Her back was hunched, her webbed hooves tucked stepped tightly beneath her body. “Akvians wouldn’t even be able to survive these cold seas,” the terse words to herself were growled— even if she had been able to rescue her people from the Rift, what would they have done?

So, in her foul mood, she flared at the cold, uncaring sea.

Ears pinned further, pain biting through the tendons as they were pushed so flush with her skull. Unblinking eyes ignored the sting as the cold wind hit her corneas— her eyes were used to bathing in salty seas, what was the cold winter wind? But, still, liquid streamed from her left eye as it was buffeted by a particularly violent breeze. There was no relief from the cold— another pulse of light left her hide.

a q u i l a</style>
imagetable

@Nymeria a cold and grumpy Aquila for yew :P

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
It didn't matter how long Nymeria ran for, for in the end her problems ran with her. (She ran anyways.)

Sweat glistened on her neck, foamed on her shoulders, dripped down her haunches. She knew as soon as she stopped she'd chill—but lathered with her emotion, saddled with her frustration, it was easier to keep going than to start thinking. Verdant pines and bare-bone aspens fell away to meadows, and then grass gave way to sand, and then she knew where she was going all along: back home. Here in the Blue it smelled like decay and the washed-up dead, like salt and summer; she heard the cries of the gulls, coasting on the wind off the waves, and saw the chopped gray of a winter ocean, a horizon line without visible end.

Here was the sea, her haven, and there on its shore was someone who both absolutely belonged and did not belong.

Chest heaving, sweat pouring off her steaming hide, Nymeria drifted to a halt. The stranger was... equine in form, but aquatic in nature. Where there should've been skin there were yellowed plates, and voltaic blue ran down from eye to foreleg, spine to stomach. Delicate, webbed fins clawed from bony cheeks and a muscled neck in place of a mane or forelock—and she had a horn. Bright, sharp, like solidified seawater; Nymeria could not tell if she (he?) was beautiful or hideous, marvellous or abhorrent.

She looks cold, Lilómiel thought, unable to keep his fascination from spilling over into Nym's brain. Curiosity piqued, the grullo decided on a course of action, breaking into a lazy trot towards the mare. Now that her drake (flying amongst the gulls) had pointed it out, the stranger did look cold. All her ridges were raised, and the fawning fins on her cheeks were clenched tight; but Nymeria, now that she was here and altogether too close to the fish-horse, didn't know what to offer, or even what to say.

For a moment she couldn't help but stare at Aquila's eyes, so bright and so deeply blue—and then she found herself blushing, embarrassed at her own bravado.

"You look like you're freezing," she said in way of greeting. "Perhaps I could help?"

image credits

@Aquila

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Overly large eyes caught movement on the blustery sands— the unblinking gaze was accustomed to finding traces of movement (it often meant a meal beneath the waves). Her gaze was also accustomed to finding predators in the sky; but, for some reason, she missed the dragon for the approaching mare. Gaze shifted, neck twisted, an ear swiveled forward; but she did not move from her cold, crouched stance as she watched the dark grullo mare approach. And, for certain, it was a mare, her graceful topline and sculpted face gave her away.

Still and waiting, she watched the unhurried strides of black legs, thicker than her own. Her hooves were solid— she was assuredly a woman built for land. Her inspection caught the steam rising from her slate skin and ridged nostrils scented the sweat foam that clung to her hide. She was envious of the heat that radiated from her mouse-grey form. Some droplets had frozen to strangely shaped icicles amid her own, plated skin.

The woman approached closer, closer— so close that the flecks in her vivid red irises could be seen. But it wasn’t the crimson that held the Aquila’s attention— no, it was the mare’s lashes. They stretched and swept up, thick and framing her scarlet eyes. It wasn't often that Aquila blinked, but she did (once) in that moment, suddenly acutely aware of the lack of lashes brushing her own cheeks.

She had never noticed that before.

She remained silent, though her other ear joined its partner to twist and point towards the woman as a blush warmed the ivory skull on her face. She was blushing? Aquila blinked once again (twice in succession! a record, surely). Fins slowly fanned from her neck as  her head cocked slightly.

A brief lull in the winter wind allowed the stranger’s emanating heat to hit her coat-less skin which rippled in brief respite, but then the wind swept both heat and words away as soon as she spoke them. Raised ridges twitched at the voice as the aquatic mare slowly worked her jaw out of its frozen clench, “I am,” were her first simple words. A pause, and then, “You are warm, but this wind will soon chill you, too,” her throaty growl was quieted by the chill, “How can you help?”

a q u i l a</style>
image - table

SO I didn't copy/pasta an entire paragraph in my first post. It's there now >.>
BUT this is fun >:D

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
There was ice on the fringes of the stranger's plated skin. It wasn't obvious, but Nymeria's eyes were both sharp and curious, and the white edging looked neither pleasant nor comfortable. (Did it chafe? Did it hurt?) Her red eyes causally peel away from the stranger's peculiar body (not without some effort), back towards the mare's sea-blue eyes. She didn't belong here, not on the shore; or not even in Helovia. Was she the offspring of a seahorse fucking a normal horse? Was she—what does it matter? Why do you need to be cruel?

Nymeria snorted at herself whilst watching Aquila's bony lids shutter over her aquamarine irises (no, not pure aquamarine; there was a ring of earthen brown as well); then she looked back towards the sea, which today sought union with the sky. It was not a welcoming ocean (would that matter anyways?) When she turned her gaze back to Aquila, her fins were fanned free of her neck, and her head was cocked curiously.

Nymeria's head tilted the opposite way; she blinked, once, twice, more owlish than flirtatious. Not many other horses liked to frame their heads that way. It was strange to have her own movements reflected at her—unnerving, just like Kid's skull-marking.

I am. The seahorse's voice was deeper than she was expecting, and her teeth had an extra edge to them that again belied an otherworldliness to the mare. Maybe she's not a beautiful freak—maybe she's a god.  Did gods take on unusual guises? Or was this the goddess of the sea, little heard of and little known? If she was a god, then she could be anything. Why a cold, wet seahorse?

(It's unlikely that my luck is such that I find a god.)

For a moment she was silent and contrite, considering Aquila's words carefully. Then she bared her teeth in an expression walking the line between smile and smirk, and said, "let's find a tidal pool. Something we can stand in. If we can't find anything... then I'll show you in the ocean."

image credits

@Aquila

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

The aquatic mare continued to watch the fluttering lashes of those scarlet eyes set in the cocked, skull-marked face. Those of the land seemed to blink frequently. Much more than those of the sea. Although, she reasoned with an annoyed twitch of her hide, the air was much more desiccated than the ocean. So, naturally, they would need to blink more. Did she blink more, above the wave? Now that she thought of it, she probably did.

A sharp snort left her nostrils as she realized this. She had been set against changing herself as she slowly shifted to living more on land; she had resisted the shift all together. But the sea here was colder, crueler, than the sea of the Rift— take today, for instance. Her luminous eyes snapped to the roiling, stormy waves. That was not an ocean you lived beneath, unless you were deep down, as Akvo had been. But the water was too cold that far down; there was no warm current, no warm ocean vents.

So her beloved ocean had pushed her onto land.

Her attention snapped back to the woman alongside her, catching the strange smirk that graced her black-snipped muzzle. Unblinking eyes rested there for a few, long moments— watching the smirking lips move to form words, watching the velvet skin crinkle around the pigmented diamond of skin between her nostrils.

But then her gaze snapped up, staring unnervingly into those crimson irises. “Go back into the water?” Her growl was disbelieving, ridges standing up along her face with the emotion. Was this mare mad? She watched, waiting, thinking: those here had magic (different magic than Akvo), she had seen it litter the battlefield and she had seen it in her travels around this cursed rock. And when had she turned away from water for help? It was her lifeblood, it defined her.

She blinked once. And then, snapping her fins flush with her skull, she swept her gaze along the shore, seeking some kind of pool. There were few patches of rocks along this shore; most of them were high upon the sand. But, luckily (loosely used), the storm had blown salty waves over most of them.

Curling her barbed tail tighter around her athletic haunches, the mare stiffly began to move towards the rock pools. Though the distance wasn’t incredibly far, it felt like eons to her cold, locked joints. Unclenching annoyed teeth, a new question sounded on her throaty voice, “What is your name?” A pause, and then, “I am Aquila.”

a q u i l a</style>
image - table

I'm the WORST for taking so long <3 Sorry sorry.
Feel free to PP her into the pool/magic/whatever!