the Rift

Home (RE, open)

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

It was strange to think that he once again had a place to call home. Since the arrival to Helovia not a full season ago events had unfolded in rapid succession, so that now the stallion found himself no longer roaming but rather resting, beneath trees in an area where the mist ruled both day and night. It was curious how his mind had changed in these quickly passing days. They had arrived with a mind set on remaining only over the winter, prepared to face the cold season in solitary confinement. A prison made up of mental blocks and guilt, where depression loomed at the edge of the consciousness, prepared to pounce at the smallest sign of weakness.

Now as they strolled beneath the barren trees with legs encased in perpetual mist, curiously roaming from border to border in this wooden cathedral, they had to agree that events had turned for the better. Mostly it had to do with the shadow mare and her golden companion, who's wide and generous hearts had enveloped them in the warmth of friendship and pulled them out of the mental bars that separated them from the rest of the world. It was because of her that he now walked here, strangely warm and comfy even though the overcast sky trapped a miserably damp cold along the ground and the thickness of the winter coat just barely managed to block it out.

There's no wind Fajira murmured in his mind, the pearly voice carrying overtones of complaint. I'm glad there isn't, or the weather would be worse he responded and lifted the hooves high as he clambered over a fallen log, gray and slimy from rot and damp. He felt strangely at home in this place, in a way he hadn't in any other place. The salty breeze from the ocean reminded him of the Tides back in Isilme, but rather than annoying sand that clung to the coat and irritated the ears, he was walking over soft moss, stepping over rocks and roots and weaving between trees similar to the ones that made up the Woodlands. A perfect combination in his mind, much like the mixture of old acquaintances and new faces in the new herd was making his life interesting.

A content sigh escaped the silver-coated stallion, and as he broke through a thicket and found himself in a wide stretched clearing filled with grass, still green from the ever moisturizing climate, he paused his wanderings and lowered the head to graze. It was a perfect opportunity to rest the aching right leg. While the pegasus healer had done a marvelous job in mending the broken bone, he still carried bruises and a deep wound across the thigh that healed only slowly. It wasn't enough to bring to the attention of a medic, but enough to slow him down and make frequent breaks a sensible thing. Besides, why stand up on a perfectly good meadow when he didn't have anything that required his immediate attention?

Fajira didn't see to mind the decision either. As he stopped to graze she sat up and unfurled the wings, stretching lazily before leaping off the broad back, flapping through the haze to perch on a high branch of a tree instead. Blue-gray eyes took to studying the grassland with alert interest, prepared to strike down on any animal her bonded managed to stir up. It was a perfect day, calm and peaceful - it was hard to remember that a war had been fought close by only days ago.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A dark creature, a black blight in the tree with white, pearly fangs crawled up a tree. In its maw hung an amulet with a blue center. The creature was shaped like a large cat but possessed strange, blue eyes and unnaturally long claws. Ears tilted forward when a four-legged and a dragon approached, and the creature hissed, backing up against the trunk and eyeing the pair warily.

He as compelled to be here right now. Compelled to hold the amulet. Why? The creature did not know, but he feared what would happen if he disobeyed. A low, curling growl echoed in his throat, and he ran from one tree limb before leaping onto another, crawling down and then disappearing into the mists.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.</style>
But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.</style>

In the wake of the battle, everything seemed deceptively beautiful. The warm sun fought against winter's chill and won, tempting unwary individuals into venturing through the woods, seeking stray patches of warmth that broke through the leafless trees, leaving shadows like spiderwebs upon the damp grass. The cold mist stung beautifully at my still raw wounds, a welcome change from Kali's rough tongue. She had yet to leave my side since the battle, preening me anxiously and angrily chirping when I refused to see a healer. Why would I need a medic when I have you, little falcon? The flattery soothed her, just as her presence soothed me. Eventually she would quiet down, but every time I let myself wince or curse in pain, her worry would surface once more. Within a couple days I had trained myself to ignore the pain entirely, to avoid upsetting my concerned gryphon.

The constant, overbearing presence of others was something I could not ignore. After such a long time separated from the world, this sudden inundation with company was like stepping into a hot spring. It wasn't unpleasant, at least not at first, but it wasn't long before I felt like passing out every time I caught the scent of a stranger. I couldn't bear to remain among the mass of my herd for much longer, not without some respite. And so I had left, called off by a pleasant day and the musky odor of the damp woods. I would have to talk to Mirage soon, about my place in this herd of hers... of mine, I suppose.

Kali napped upon my haunches, long tail twitching anxiously by my left thigh as she dreamed. I changed courses, careful to avoid low hanging branches that might disturb her slumber, shivering as the mist thickened briefly. If I focused I could make out the images in her mind, fish leaping in the air as she dove down to catch them with deft claws. In her dream, Akaith flew beside her, laughing as the younger companion struggled to grasp the slippery prey. Poor Kali, she was so unlike me. She adored the life of a herd member, basked in the praise and admiration of those who stood in awe of her blooming majesty. I arched my neck around to nudge her, but she was beyond my reach. "Wake up, bird brain," I called softly, smiling as she yawned and rolled onto her stomach, stretching her pale wings and mewing. Rescued from her dream, she rocked unsteadily as I stumbled over a stone, taking to the air and chirping happily as she rose into the sky, trying to clear the canopy. For her sake, I would try to make this work.

From far above Kali sent me a vision of empty space, a pretty field not twenty feet from us that I could graze in and she could fly above. There was something else, too, something she blurred and tried to keep from me as she urged me to follow her. With a bemused sigh I trudged in the direction she'd indicated, wondering who we'd be made to encounter today.

I will admit that it came as a pleasant surprise, the sight of Lace resting in the damp grass. I had only met the stallion on a couple of occasions, but he seemed a decent sort, and I suppose if I was doomed to socialize, it may as well be with someone I already had some mild acquaintance with. Kali had already cried out to the grullo's little white, banking sharply and coming in to land beside the dragon, completely oblivious to any sort of respect or courtesy. Limping slightly, I made my way towards the stallion, attempting to mirror my bonded's boundless enthusiasm. "Lace. It's good to see you're on your feet." The gilded stallion had sustained some serious injuries during the fight, if I recalled. Perhaps even worse than the gashes that still marked my chest and barrel. I looked him over critically, onyx eyes taking in the deep cut on his thigh, the golden dusting along his back. So the Sun had subjected him to its wrath, too. My own legs tingled at the memory of flames licking at them. The scars had healed in an ironically starry pattern, and my tail was starting to come back in, metallic and sun-kissed. Kali had approved.

Before I could ask the stallion what had brought him here, an outcry in the trees caught my attention. Kali was crying at something, excited, her white fur standing on end as she stared across the clearing. Intensely curious, I followed her gaze, seeking the source of the commotion. There. A dark figure, an... amulet? clenched in his jaw. I felt my own drop against my chest. "What the...?"

And then it was gone, and Kali was shooting after it, her growing wingspan making navigation between the barren branches awkward, calling to Fajira and urging her to head it off, thrilled and excited with the passion of the hunt. I glanced at Lace, wondering if he had any idea what was going on, because I certainly did not.

[ ooc || RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE. This is what happens when I haven't posted in a looooong time. ]
Stock Providers: Horse, Background.

A melodic trill from the white-scaled dragon alerted him to the arrival of others. With the mouth filled with moist, green yet somewhat tasteless grass, Lace raised the head and turned to gaze at the new arrivals, chewing casually as he searched his memory for a name that would suit the black moonbeam that came walking toward him. He had seen her before on a few occasions, but they had never been formally introduced and he wasn't sure that he remembered her name correctly. Memories and notices from Fajira made him believe that she was somehow closely related to Mirage, as well as a friend of Smoke's; he had seen her at Israfel's birth, and remembered her well from the invasion. A name...

The chatter of their bonded companions filled out the silence as he chewed, stalling for time until he could find words suitable of hiding his lack of knowledge about the members of his new family. In the tree, Fajira inched away slightly from the enthusiastic gryphon, not sure whether she should approve of the boldness or be insulted by the directness with which she was approached. Blue-gray eyes as hazy as the mist regarded Kali from a well-measured distance, taking in everything from the shape of the wing feathers to the gold-tipped tail. Dragon as she was, and strangely driven by colors and the meanings she claimed that they held, the scaled female had a hard time categorizing the young fledgling. White was good, white was great, white was wonderful and automatically gave Kali a place in her good book. But she wasn't a dragon. That immediately made things more difficult, because even though Fajira was unusually curious about other species, she still held little regard for things she couldn't speak to. The birdlike chirps that ran from her sharp-toothed maw held a slight overtone of confusion, almost a bit desperate...

He rolled his eyes slightly as the feelings of his bonded reached him through their shared mind, and pushed them to the back of the mind. After swallowing, he offered the white-maned mare a slight smile and nodded in a somewhat casual greeting.
"Thank you. The healers worked wonders, I never thought I'd be up and walking already. It's good to see you're doing better as well."

Perhaps the reply was slightly on the short end, but it wasn't easy to be friendly with someone he didn't know. Lace wasn't used to being around people for very long, and he was still getting used to the idea that he once again belonged somewhere. He wasn't entirely against the idea, it was just... it took some getting used to.
He tried to figure out what to say next, but was spared the trouble as the attention of the gold-marked mare turned to something behind him, the tone of the little gryphon's and Fajira's voices changing. Puzzled Lace turned around, just in time to see the shape of some large, catlike creature leap off into the mist, instantly followed by both Kali and the white dragon. His gaze turned toward Rishima, gold eyes meeting mysterious black for a moment as they both tried to melt the peculiar turn of events. Then something urged the stallion forward, his feet moving on their own accord - slowly first, then faster until he hurried on in a slightly painful trot.

"No idea" he said and threw a glance over the shoulder at the mare, "but I think we better find out. Come on, lets try to catch up with the kids, before they do something stupid."

The Store | The Warden

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The creature hissed as he realized that he was being chased by a damn, stunted gyphon, and it bared its white fangs before turning to face the creature. Finally, the normally green eyes turned to solid white, and it turned to the two equines.

"This is for the one named Lace," it spat with a mouthful of venom and the amulet. Obviously, the creature was fighting some sort of strange magic that was controlling its body. A black, panther-like head twitched unnaturally, and one of the lids drooped. The grey eyes shifted to green in a subtle sheen.

"Try and take it...." he growled.

Largely ignoring the pull of the yet unhealed wound on the thigh the stallion chased after the disappearing creature and his bonded, part curious and part worried about the fact that such a strange creature was roaming within the borders of the Edge. Did it have ulterior motives in coming here, was it seeking food with those large claws and eerie eyes? Not on his watch, that was for sure. Lace might not hold the rank of warrior anymore but old habits died hard, and a short period of rest did nothing to diminish the practiced soldier that rested beneath the golden cloak.

He was honestly surprised to catch up so quickly, but noticed why as amber eyes fell on the predator. It had stopped, clearly annoyed by the presence of Kali, and turned his way when the grulla approached. Swallowing, he reluctantly inched closer, listening with growing puzzlement as the monster growled forth words. With a thought Fajira began to circle above the creature, as Lace studied it with narrowing eyes. For him? Why, who was offering it, what was the creature, did it belong in Helovia, what was so special about that amulet that something had to go to such great length to hand it to him? He remembered the amulets that hung around the neck of both Mirage and Rishima, but was there a relation between those and this one? So many questions, so much he didn't know. But one thing was clear, and that was the fact that he obviously wouldn't get it easily.

"As you wish" he replied and charged forward, pushing the strain on the smarting leg to the back of his mind. Heading straight for the felinesque being he dodged, appeared to go for the left and then let the head snake out and snapped after the amulet, hoping to catch it between his teeth and jerk it out of the mouth of the predator. At the same time, Fajira darted down from below, screeching and prepared to do the same should the beast attempt to turn and run off again.

The Store | The Warden

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.</style>
But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.</style>

The moniker of 'kid' was appropriate, especially for Kali, and I chuckled as he set off in pursuit, a muted sound that died against my chest as the unappealing idea of moving forward cast a foul haze against my mind. Lace had nearly left the clearing by the time my legs began to move, a pained gasp forcing its way into the misty air as I struggled to catch up with the younger crowd. I'm too old for this, is the bitter thought, a sallow thing against a stubborn heart that forces me forward despite my dissuasion. My heart is far more eager for company than my head, and with the dizziness of pain and the excitement of Kali rising through my soul like a surge of tide it easily spurs me into the woods, a straggler behind my companions living voraciously through the young gryphon's eyes.

Kali's wing clipped a mossy branch, spraying dirt and debris in her wake. She was pleased with Fajira's enthusiasm and pursuit, and screeched to her new playmate as she ducked around a young fir, shouting instructions in a language that none but her kin could understand. The thrill of the hunt sent adrenaline through her veins, consequentially spurring me onwards, excitement rising with as my soul mate closed in on her mysterious query.

Neither of us anticipated it's sudden stop, or its speech. Faced with fangs and a dark inky face, Kali balked and reared back, wings beating great arcs as she hissed at the creature, uncertain how to proceed. She could understand it as wanting Lace, but did not know why, nor whether she really wanted to let it have him. A tick branch reached out behind her, and she landed on it, gripping the tree with flexing claws, eying the beast through slitted eyes, her tail twitching frantically. She watched me as I reached the clearing, coming to a halt behind the gold-brushed stallion and flinching at the pain in my chest. The monster clutched and amulet between glistening fangs, tempting Lace to try and take it, its voice a forced growl from unnatural lips. "Magic," I muttered, and would have pressed the thing for information, but Lace and the children were off again, synchronized flashes of white honing in on the possessed beast.

"Kali, wait!" I tried to call, but my cries were ignored by the eager gryphon. Her friends had re-entered the hunt, and she was determined to win, as her mind saw it, and go home with a fresh and shiny amulet clutched in her beak. I sighed as she launched herself from the branch, her tiny body a pale bullet shot from the gun of her own contracted muscles, with no real strategy except to succeed. The three of them radiated enthusiasm; it didn't take a look into their souls to see it, and I shook my head in amusement, content to cock a heel and watch the antics of those younger than myself. Perhaps this venture would be more rewarding than I'd anticipated.
Stock Providers: Horse, Background.

[ bumps for RE :3 ]