the Rift

[PRIVATE] Failure [Moon Goddess]

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
we heal with love,
She had thought the steps bringing her into the Veins would feel heavier than they did - she thought that it would be hard to admit defeat - but although she carried guilt for failing, it did not weigh her down. Alysanne knew now that her quest had been doomed right from the start, had wondered whether the Goddess had been wise enough to assign her tasks that she could not complete.  

Not much was blooming at this time of year but Alysanne knew where to look as she travelled south. As she carefully navigated through the veins towards the broken shrines, Hemlock has a handful of brilliant white snowdrops in his small talons. At her encouragement he carefully places them among the blackened symbols of the Moon Goddess’ shrine before flying to land on her folded wings. Maybe she would have been able to make contact through the mists of the seer back in the Edge but this was private and she was still learning to trust the new faces of the Edge. She had only told Iona of her intentions, believing her twin would have come with her otherwise.

So much had changed since the last time she had spoken with the Moon Goddess. She had conceived and birthed a daughter, abandoned her herd as they abandoned the Edge for the Falls in a foolish war, found her sister again. Though she remained in the Edge, ever the faithful Moon Doctor, Alysanne was undeniably different than the mare who had started this quest. Whether she was weaker or stronger now that she was no longer that flower-child, well, that was just another line on the growing list of things she did not know.

Dawn was just beginning as Alysanne lowers her head, the glass headband Kahlua made her jingling softly with the movement, and she closed her eyes in prayer. “You were right, my Goddess.” She still remembered how angry the Goddess had been with her when she had made her request for the magic. It had seemed so perfect, the ideal way to help those that couldn’t be helped with the healing mists she had as her herd’s doctor. But she knew better now. The price she had been asked to pay was too steep. She had hurt others intentionally in her spars and had refused healing herself afterwards but she would never refuse to heal them. It wasn’t possible - not even once, not even for something as small as a nosebleed or a bruised shoulder.

She knew that she had been wrong to ask for that magic now, knew that there were better ways to heal those she loved.

“I have failed my quest.” She whispered the words softly to the shrine, sure that she would be heard no matter how quietly she spoke. Whether the Goddess appeared or simply accepted her resignation from this quest with her silence was something she’d have to wait and see.

alysanne

Alysanne's coming back to talk to the Moon Goddess as instructed to when she came to her senses over her quest xD
original quest thread here: this thread

@Mythical Request
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin
God of the Moon
lady diamond in the sky

"You have not failed your quest-" The Goddess' disembodied voice broke through the harsh silence. "You have failed yourself. Your herd." The pale figure, shimmering out of seemingly nothingness, held her piercing gaze upon her healer. She did not need to peer into Alysanne's mind to know what part of the quest had tripped her up, what part she had failed. Without pausing to let Aly answer, the Goddess continued. "Do you think me cruel, Alysanne? That I would just give you idle tasks to wound your soul, with no benefit? Did I not tell you that this was all done to teach you something? Or did you merely think that the lesson was to show you your own weakness?" The Goddess paused, caught in a tangle of emotion. She was bitterly disappointed in Alysanne, but that disappointed stemmed from a pride that she held and coveted for her herd alone. Alysanne was a child of the Moon - for seasons now. The Goddess had not, as she had clearly said that she had not, given Alysanne this task to spite her. It was to strengthen her.

Ears against her svelte skull, the Goddess raised her nose into the air, inhaling deeply. As she did so, a lush calm seemed to fall over her, and her features softened somewhat.

"Answer me this. Would you run through a circle of fire - burning yourself knowingly as you went - if it meant saving someone on the other side?" The Goddess' tones were no longer angry, but poignant and instructive.

Image Credit

@[Alysanne]

we heal with love,
She hadn’t expected that reaction from the Goddess - the disembodied voice giving words that shocked her, feeling as though each were a physical blow against her and she winced as though they were. The idea that she had failed her herd was what hurt most of all. Alysanne should know better than to make any assumptions about what the Goddess thought or believed because of course she could not even begin to fathom it. The idea that she had failed herself, failed her herd, instead of just the quest was one that she had considered before but Alysanne adopted the guilt readily, her green eyes shutting against the shame that washed over her as her black head lowered.

How could she even begin to apologize for her failure, no matter how many times she said those words? She did not get a chance to right then, however, as the Goddess appeared before her - shimmering into being, and Alysanne felt the same pang upon seeing Her. This incredible, ethereal being who was radiating disappointment. Her next words were a surprise, furthering the mare’s feeling of incompetency, of failure.

She raised her head - not completely, every line and muscle of her body one of apology and submission - with this surprise, so that she could look upon the Goddess with ease. Confusion clouded her sad green eyes as the words as she found her voice once more. “I... thought you wanted me to see the error of my wish. That you disagreed with the magic I sought and thought it would be better if I failed… I am so sorry for not understanding.” She had thought the goddess wanted her to fail - thought that had been the whole point. Give her a series of tasks she would find impossible so that she would see how wrong she had been to want to take away pain from others.

But, it would seem, she had been wrong.

Alysanne’s unsettled heart blinded her to so much lately - it was hardly surprising.

The next question, the tone with which it was spoken, made the Moon Doctor feel like little more than a child being taught a lesson by her mother. “I would.” The words were quiet but came out in a rush, without hesitation, and even in the moments after when she thought about it she knew they were true. Every time.

alysanne

@Mythical Request  .
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Helovian Ancient
Admin
God of the Moon
lady diamond in the sky

The Goddess' tail lashed back and forth, as if taking the place of a tapping foot, or an ever shifting hand. Her gaze simmered, almost as if she realized that Alysanne wasn't understanding the message she was trying to communicate. And so, through wide nostrils the Goddess drew a breath, calming herself and beginning anew. When she spoke, her voice was tempered and much more moderate. The anger had entirely disappeared, though her disappointment hadn't.

"Pain is necessary." She began, slowly, as if teaching something very confusing to a child. "It exists to teach us things - when to stop, how far to push ourselves. Pain serves as a way to avoid even more pain. That is why to have the ability to take it away, is a dangerous thing. That is why your quest was to learn about it and understand it. My hope was that you would not wield this magic dumbly, but would instead know when to withhold it, for sometimes, pain is a good thing." The Goddess paused, staring intently at Aly to ensure that she was listening. But of course she was, and so the Goddess continued.

"You could not complete your final task. Why?" Rhetorical. "Presumably because you thought it too cruel, or perhaps because it hurt you too much to do so. But we've already established that pain is not always bad. And you've indicated that you would take on pain if it meant helping others. Are you really standing before me now, saying that you wouldn't allow one of your fellow herd-mates to suffer, even if it meant you would receive this magic and could end countless amounts of sufferings? Are you being selfish Aly, or just short-sighted?" Though her words were curt, it was clear from her expression that she really was trying to make the healer understand. She could look at it one of two ways: either, she allowed one herd member to suffering (and the Goddess never stipulated that it had to be a lot of suffering, just a moderate amount), in order for Aly to receive this intangible and immense gift. Surely the warriors of the herd would do so happily, as would a few others. Or, Aly could choose to see it as herself enduring the pain - which she already said that she would do.

The Goddess' tail flicked back and forth.v

"Mine is not to decide your magic, Aly. Mine is to prepare you for it."

Image Credit

we heal with love,
“Oh.”

As the Moon Goddess spoke, as she slowly began to explain why, Alysanne realized just how wrong she had this entire thing.

The realization settled on her heavily, the guiding hand of the Goddess showing her the point of the quest that Alysanne had completely missed. Now she saw - knowing she would not have realized it without the help. Her wings drooped a little bit and she relaxed her stance a little bit as it settled on her mind. “I got so caught up in it, was so afraid of refusing to heal someone that needed me…” It had scared her so much, that final task, enough that she had forgotten why she was seeking further healing magic to supplement that which she was given as a Moon Doctor. The big picture had been completely lost on her, incredibly so. So much that she had practically forgotten what the magic she had sought was.

Of course one of her herd members would have helped her if Alysanne had asked - her sister would have accepted without a second thought. She had just never asked, keeping the burden of her quest secret from everyone.

“I was so blinded by my own pain, the mere thought of leaving someone with so much as a bleeding nose was too much… I’m a doctor how could I refuse them?” Even Tembovu, who she wasn’t particularly fond of (to put it nicely), she hadn’t been able to turn away from his pain. The driving need to heal him had been its own pain for her, refusing to even entertain the idea of putting her own healing needs before his. Alysanne truly thought herself to be selfless - the movement of putting herself before others came so naturally. But it was how her heart constricted at the thought of their pain that motivated her. Did that make her selfish? Wanting to ease the effect on her own soul while saving them?

She had thought it was too high of a price to pay - wasn’t even entirely convinced she could even do it now - but the uncertainty made that resolve of hers waiver. The choice of hurting one to save so many more seemed so simple when spoken in the curt (yet caring?) manner of the Goddess.

“I was selfish and short-sighted, wasn’t I? I didn't think...” Alysanne had known that she failed but the depth of that failure was settling on her as she started to understand what the Goddess had meant. Or, she thought she was understanding.

Her attention had not shifted from the Moon Goddess but she crawled out of the dark thoughts in her mind to bring up another question, finally one that wasn't rhetorical. “What do I do now?" If she was not capable enough to figure out the reason for her quest, was she still fit to be a Moon Doctor in the Edge?

alysanne

@Mythical Request
made by the lovely tamme

Helovian Ancient
Admin
God of the Moon
lady diamond in the sky
Understanding dawned on the mare, and the Goddess smiled triumphantly. It was a point of pride when she could make them understand on their own. How easy it would be to just twist their thoughts, to mould them into creatures who could understand, but this was so much more satisfying. Was she as manipulative as they all believed her to be? Undoubtably. Was it always for their own good? Always.

I was selfish and short-sighted, wasn’t I? I didn't think...

"No you didn't." The Goddess interrupted with a silvery laugh and a wink. "Which is perhaps why you are my Doctor, and not my Seer." She concluded, tossing her mane with a breathtaking smile.

As Aly inquired as to what she was to do now, the final trace of frustration disappeared from the Goddess' lovely features. Like a mother who is forced to scold her child but quickly finds a way to love them again, the Goddess stepped forward, wings spread like outward and open hands.

"Why Aly, you finish of course. There is still the option of ... completing this quest another way -" The Goddess frown as she spoke. She would not go back on her original bargain with the painted mare but ... this truly was better for everyone, in the long run. "-but this is the best way. "

Patiently the Goddess waited. Even though she believed Aly now understood everything clearly now, she still very much doubted that this would be an easy task for the mare.

Image Credit

we heal with love,
Alysanne felt lighter for her understanding but also because the Goddess’s mood had shifted. It was a wonderful feeling, to be in the presence of a smiling deity. Although she had heard of the terrible things that her patron had done, it was hard to think such evil things of the face hosting that smile, or who laughed in such a light manner. The painted mare found the corners of her mouth tugging into a grin in kind at the jest about Alysanne being the doctor and not the seer.

Her mind was forever ruled by her heart, for good or bad, and she was truly in the best profession for such a mind.

She knew that Kaj and Archibald must have been wrong in their crusade to depart from the Edge, the others had been wrong to follow them, but she felt the conflicted feelings over the matter slip away.

She was being given another chance to finish her quest and although she felt a little hesitant (did she even want this magic anymore?) she knew that she should at least try. “I would like that, to finish...” Perhaps it would be a little easier this time.

Perhaps being the operative word, she wasn't entirely sure that all this knowledge actually would help her keep her resolve when it came down to the act of denying healing. But if they knew, if they wanted to help... it didn't feel so impossible anymore and that meant everything. “The same terms as before?” Alysanne was quickly learning she shouldn’t assume anything, especially when it came to lessons and quests from the Goddess. And she wanted to make sure that 'finishing this quest another way' meant the knowledge she had now instead of new tasks to accomplish.

“And… thank you.” For so much but for guiding her, explaining to her, and for giving her another chance. Her green eyes softened with genuine gratitude.
alysanne

@Mythical Request
made by the lovely tamme

Helovian Ancient
Admin
God of the Moon
lady diamond in the sky
Pride practically flowed off the Goddess in rough waves as Alysanne indicated that she would indeed finish. She wouldn't take the easier path, but the one less traveled. The better one. The Goddess' nose snapped towards her chest in a decisive nod as the healer asked if the terms had remained the same.

"They are indeed."

The Goddess' waved a wing at Alysanne's appreciation. As much as the Goddess liked to gloat and to bask in the gratitude of others, now was not the time. "You know where to find me." The Goddess said as her body began to glimmer and become see-through. And you know what will happen should you return unsuccessful again- Her eyes seemed to suggest as they glimmered like pinpoints of starlight hovering body-less in the air.

With a whisper of the wind, the Goddess disappeared. The gentle breeze curled around Alysanne, giving her strength and energy in its warm embrace, before dissipating entirely. 
Image Credit