the Rift

[OPEN] Counting on the Night for a Beautiful Day

Själ Posts: 112
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 hh :: 4 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ansgar :: Plain Griffin :: Draining Clutch ChaoticMelodies
Själ
The girl had been particularly unlucky in her choice of friends, it would seem.  She had met very few individuals whom she had run into more than once, and even these had an annoying tendency to disappear when she needed them most.  Nor had she the luxury of choosing her family, all of whom had either abandoned her or died - or, in her mother's case, both.  The girl was in a particularly dark mood as she meandered through the Secret Grove, taking note of any muffled whispers or throaty giggles and electing to steer quite clear of them.  The girl was not entirely sure of the mechanics of sex, but she understood that it was a thing that happened, and that it happened frequently here.  She noted the smell in the air, the sour taste that it brought to her mouth, and she decided that she would just as soon avoid males altogether.  What use had they ever been to her, anyway?

She hadn't come here with any purpose in mind, and she had no interest in disturbing a couple's intimate moments.  Still, she had made her way through every corner of the great land of Helovia, save for this one.  It was the last place she had wanted to explore, and so it became the last place that she came to.  It had to be seen, though, just as every other place before it had to be seen, too.  The girl was searching, always searching, hoping to find the answer to exactly what she was searching for.  It had begun to drive her mad, that question, rattling around in her brain at night, when she had nothing better to do than think about her place in the world and how insignificant she was, how she was doing nothing with the names that ran in her blood.  "Useless," she muttered angrily.  That's all she was, all she felt she could ever be.

Ansgar had elected to skirt the edges of the Grove rather than to accompany her irritable mistress through its center.  The girl felt the griffin at the edges of her mind, but largely elected to ignore the cat-bird.  They would meet up when she left the Grove, and hopefully she would be in a mood fit for company.  As it were, the princess was taking her sweet time, wandering this way and that, pausing to observe any particularly serene setting that she came upon as though hoping that it would calm her turbulent thoughts.  At one point, she came to rest under a massive oak.  Its barren branches criss-crossed overhead, breaking the grey Frostfall sky into a million shattered pieces.  Its shelter lay beside a small pond that might have been deep enough to reach the girl's belly, and she found herself gazing aimlessly across its surface.

And this is where you would find the girl, if only you would try to look.

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria

Pixel by Reli <3

Please tag Själ in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Själ?  Visit her plot page here!

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
Nymeria & Lilómiel
And everybody wants to know 'bout how it felt to hear you scream / They know you walk like you're a god, they can't believe I made you weak

Her thoughts were not where they should be (at least, she didn’t think so, but she didn’t know what she should be thinking anyways); instead of concocting and fabricating ideas of sensuous ruin she was stuck on a loop of frustrated destruction, seeking some way to devastate the corpses making a mockery of life around her. (Stupid fucking fuckers.)  Listen to them—laughing, thumping, humping away, and she was here, all four hooves planted in the ground—why was she here?

Lips part, red eyes glisten; why did this happen?

Lilómiel crooned something soft and sweet to her, claws pressing on her withers. She could feel his fear seeping in through the nooks and crannies of her mind, his tender and misplaced concern feeding through the labyrinth of her musings. Why are you afraid? Except she already knew the answer.

What would happen if she just attacked? Tore at their blood, ripped it from their every orifice—boiled the snow beneath their feet, until they were screaming, until they were crying?

Why did she always think such things? Why couldn’t she be fucking normal?

(Because you’re fated to be more than normal.)

Nymeria exhaled slowly, shaking her head mournfully. The movement, although strangely comforting in nature, did little to dislodge the violence rooted in her breast. Instead of action, she took to inaction, picking up a lazy walk among the twisting shadows. The lithe sway and curve of the darkness—swelling and deflating, swirling and shifting—danced upon her spine and shoulders, rubbing the edges of her away until she was more shadow than life.

It felt strange to be alone when she was surrounded by… pairings.

Like a satellite in orbit, she found herself gravitating towards someone else. (What am I doing Lilómiel?) The stranger didn’t seem to be looking for company, resting beneath an old oak, and here Nymeria came anyways: intrusive, despite her discreteness, crude, despite her grace.

Nym pitied the woman for having to deal with her when she seemed so content otherwise.

A sly and cheeky smile uncoiled across her ashen lips; her ears pricked forwards, not quite casual in their movement. The wolf tilted her head, driving in along an angle towards the stranger, a long-legged saunter (swagger?) to bring herself parallel to the stranger’s hip. Despite a practically bewildering urge to be—well, be a bitch—Nymeria kept herself contained with a steely hand, preparing herself for a silk touch.

For a minute she stood in silence, casting her own red gaze out along the delicate pond, and then she tentatively cast a line into the sea, looking to hook the unicorn beside her.

“Do you feel alone?”

image credits

OOC: I got no clue what's going on with Nym... I think being an aunt did something to her head that's not good... haha have fun Själ ;D

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Själ
"Do you feel alone?"

How did she know?

The princess had heard the newcomer's hoofbeats, an ear flicking back as much to acknowledge the mare's existence as to keep her location in mind. Själ had no way of knowing if the stranger was friendly, and she was quickly becoming a mare not particularly taken with chance. A glance behind her revealed a darkly colored equine (grey or black? -- it was so hard to tell sometimes) with a skull of white highlighting her face. Her eyes were red, almost seeming to glow in the dim light of Frostfall. A thick mane and tail graced her body, a mixture of black and white. They might have been related, if one were to take into account only their appearance, for not only were they similarly colored, but the princess could detect a hint of draft blood in the stranger's lineage.

She hoped that they weren't related. She'd had about all she could stand of family.

The amber gaze of the princess retreated to the pond as she mulled over the question that the stranger had presented. Alone, always alone - that was her in a nutshell, wasn't it? No matter what she did, she always ended up alone. She had loved her mother, despite her obvious insanity, and mother had left, only to be murdered. She had found friends here, Zèklè, for one, but where were they now? They always disappeared to be run into at a later date, to greet her cheerfully and act like her dearest friend, but then - poof - like magic - they were gone. And she was alone.

She was tired of it, really. How long could she be expected to just press on by herself? It was she and Ansgar against the world, and as much as she loved her companion, she wanted more out of life than whatever this dull existence was. "Always," she admitted, a sigh, a murmur against the Frostfall air. A puff of vapor erupted from her mouth, only to disperse into the air. It was poetic, almost, a perfect visual for the way the princess had gone through life: there and then gone, never to be missed.

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria

Pixel by Reli <3

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Nymeria & Lilómiel
And everybody wants to know 'bout how it felt to hear you scream / They know you walk like you're a god, they can't believe I made you weak

The mare's ear flicks back in acknowledgement, and the tension that had unknowingly coiled through Nymeria's sinews dissipated. She was faintly disappointed her presence had not been more surreptitious, but she was hardly surprised that her cover had been so quickly pulled away.

Now she sized up the stranger; their builds were distant relations, and their coats cousins. Nymeria was more curvaceous, robust, but the other mare was broad-barrelled and strong-legged, with a faint grace that belied some warmblood influence. She was feathered, albeit heavier than Nym, and her coat sleek and dark, with a pattern of silver flakes drifting down from over her spine. White socks, white horns, white face—but perhaps most unusually amber eyes. Amber, Nymeria thought, faintly incredulous; but nobody has amber eyes except for Confutatis. (Not that she was aware of, at least.)

Then she no longer had time to nitpick the stranger's details, as she was drawing up level to Själ's head.

(She couldn't be related to Confutatis, though, could she? It seems—it seems unlikely. But she does share a resemblence to my mother, even if...) Perhaps if Själ was a foal she could've been Volterra's (it would hardly surprise her now) but she was far too old for that.

The clouds were dark and heavy, low over the horizon. It did not feel as if it would take much effort to reach them. (Is this how pegasi feel? Forever thinking about the sky?) It would be strange to have wings—stranger still to be among those lush, dark clouds, with the wind combing through her mane... Nymeria shook her head to shake away the thoughts.

Always, the stranger murmured, and white vapor drifted from her mouth, curling up and away. Always—always resonated with Nym.

“I'm sorry,” she said. "Nobody deserves to be alone."

image credits

@Själ
OOC: This is terrible. I'm terrible. I was so distracted writing this and I apologize profusely for the consequences of that.

Själ
Nobody deserves to be alone. No, they don't, she wanted to say, but the words stuck in her throat. What other explanation was there for the fact that she had lost her family, that she continuously lost her friends (if she had ever had them in the first place)? What other reason would there be for her standing with a stranger, spilling her most bitter thoughts on a dreary Frostfall day? It wasn't as though she had anything better to do, anyone better to see - and so the mare began to harden, her soul twisting angrily against the pain assaulting it and retreating further from the surface.

Was this how monsters were made? Were they hurt over and over, driving their joy and their trust and their hope further and further into the depths until one day, they could no longer feel anything except anger? That was all she was becoming now, a ball of fury and pain and darkness, her faith in a better world, her hope in a better self, all dissolving under the weight of the world.

"No," she replied bitterly. "No one deserves it, and yet it happens. All. The. time. We are born, we are left alone, and then we die, right?" By the end of it, she was nearly shouting; the princess had not intended to respond so angrily, for it was not the stranger's fault that she had been abandoned time and again; and yet the words cascaded out, assaulted the very air that the girl breathed, sorrow and pain mingling into a hard fist of despair. "No one fucking cares, do they?" And then, softer, defeated: "Why would you care? You don't even know me."

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria - oh, hush, it was lovely <3

Pixel by Reli <3

Nymeria & Lilómiel

She meant well (she really did) but the words that rolled off her tongue—despite their genuine nature—hardly managed to strike a chord. Nymeria cursed herself for her hollowness, for her inability to offer more significant comfort; because despite the anger that simmered in her breast, she knew all too well what Själ meant. Always, she'd said; and wouldn't Nymeria, too, echo that sentiment in her place?

Surrounded by friends, enemies, strangers, faces she knew and faces she didn't: they all faded away eventually. Even her twin, a brother of the womb, had become unknowable to her. Who can you rely on but yourself?

Me. (That'd be Lilómiel.)

Nymeria let out a slow and heavy sigh, unspooling her gaze across the dead water. The reflections of the tree were jarringly obtuse, the branches' hard angles seemingly unworldly. It was a fitting background to the miserly nature of their conversation. Nym twitched an ear around to the stranger, the other swivelling away. Even the dullness of the winter air did not completely muffle the chaotic giggles and thuds of bodies—Nym wished that perhaps she had not met this mare here, that their conversation could continue without the interruptions of so-called love.

Was it any surprise, then, that the unicorn responded with an acerbic tongue? That her bitterness might be exaggerated by the influence of tender loyalty around them? Even to Nymeria those cries seemed foul—and Nymeria, despite herself, had had her fair share of daydreams about steamy stallions and heated flesh entwining. Those sounds were no longer a distant reality but a mocking prod at Nym's own inflated ego.

Why would you care?

How could she explain that in Själ's presence, her own furious rage, her own dismay, seemed less significant in face of their shared trials? How could she explain that she knew too well what Själ meant without becoming broken, weak? How could she explain that she'd always wanted a friend and had never been offered the fucking opportunity? Or that this—this warmed her heart, made her feel a little less alone, even though at first she'd only asked the question in jest?

“You're not the only one who feels alone," Nymeria murmured. There was something tantalizing—unconsciously sensuous—about her voice. "I... I guess I wish I had someone to rely on as well." She hesitated, faintly uncomfortable with her honesty (it felt like everything was exposed.) "I'm Nymeria."

image credits

Själ
The frothing rage flowed beneath her skin, boiling her blood; in the distance, Ansgar cowered before her mistress's wrath. It was an anger that howled with pain, that was born of loneliness; it was a fury that could not be tamed, not even by the princess's best intentions. She had never meant to harbor such darkness in her heart, never wanted to shove her feelings aside, to put them in a little box and lock them away deep inside herself, to leave them there to grow and fester until one day they could no longer be tamed. She had never intended to reveal so much of her worst self to anyone, much less to a stranger -- and she was suddenly awash with guilt and shame, new emotions that bubbled up through her incessant ire. It was all too much, it was all too raw; she could not bear to keep it in, not now that it had been let out.

Nymeria's suppositions that their location had worsened the princess's mood were correct: the lies of love and loyalty that surrounded them left with with a sour, bitter taste in her mouth, as though she had bitten into a ripe and tender apple only to find that it had rotted away on the inside. How many of these so-called lovers would find one another after today? How many of them had been brought together by mutual affection, and how many by that oft-disguised lust? How many unwanted foals would be born of this day, only to be discarded and betrayed and abandoned as soon as their mothers decided that it would be better to just go off and die --

And there it was, the real problem, the memory of her mother striking a painful chord as she realized that her self-directed hatred (as though there was something wrong with her that had driven everyone away) was better off being sent towards her dearly departed matron. All of this passed behind heated amber eyes, nothing managing to stop the girl's internal rampage, nothing until: "You're not the only one who feels alone." Her world seemed to freeze then, a tiny, minuscule pause in the trajectory of her life that bade her to turn and look, truly look at the stranger beside her. Suddenly her anger seemed so very selfish and trivial, and slowly the heat of her fury began to wane. "Själ," she replied, offering her own name in return for Nymeria's. "You shouldn't have to be alone, either, you know."

She paused, mulling things over, considering the implications of the stranger's -- no, Nymeria's -- words. It would not be the first time that Själ had thought to trust someone, to allow someone into her life, to depend on them to be there for her. They had all let her down. Why would this mare be any different? Still... maybe... one last try... If Nymeria wanted someone to rely on, maybe she would be willing to return the favor. And, if she wasn't, then she would only be cementing the princess's path. "I would be reliable," she offered softly, hope and defeat at war in her hushed, murmured tones.

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria

Pixel by Reli <3

Nymeria & Lilómiel

Själ's amber eyes glowed not with light but with darkness, a seething storm seeking freedom from a cage of skin and bone. Looking at the unicorn, with her irises glinting in gold and copper and hued with amber, Nymeria wished she could know what brought upon such rage. It was unlike anything she'd seen before—and it bespoke an experience she did not want to experience herself.

For despite everything that had happened to her—Ophelia's challenge, Reginald's bullying, and worst of all the growing divide between her and Volterra—none of that made her rage. None of that made her feel (and perhaps this was only speculation) hopeless. It was easy to feel alone (she didn't have many friends to speak of) but she never fought against her situation with only dire desperation.

And she would never know intimately what made Själ so broken in this moment despite all her anger, or precisely why she'd be drawn to Själ. Sometimes she didn't need to know. If this worked out in the end—that was all she cared about right now. This was a perfect oppurtunity to capitalize on (callous as it sounded); she would not let it bypass her.

She'd wanted a friend for so long.

The frustration she'd glimpsed in the unicorn's gaze drained away; Nymeria stepped in closer, subtle and graceful. Själ, the unicorn said in turn—Nym sighed, and took to heart her words. Things—dare she say it?—were beginning to look tentatively up; the resentment always burrowing through Nymeria's veins gave way to fragile hope. Their honesty with one another had been unprecedented (in Nymeria's books.) This has to be a good sign.

It was. Själ professed reliability; Nymeria took a moment, savouring this budding growth between them. Instead of immediately answering she came in a little closer to Själ, ever so politely attempting to press their flanks together, and share a bit of warmth in the Frostfall day. It was then she said, simply and with more than a touch of clever consideration, “and I'll be here for you when you need me." A pause, and then, childish and naïve and knowing it, "friends?"

image credits

Själ
In her heart of hearts, the princess might have recognized that there was something sly about the stranger, might have seen that there was some mischief in her mannerisms, in the oddity with which she had approached, alone, as desperate as Själ but more willing to act on it. Perhaps there was something in Nymeria that would have reminded the princess of the DarkEmpress, if only the girl had thought to look. As it were, any reservations she might have formed, any suspicions that Nymeria was too good to be true, were hidden, reserved for a later date, not even registering as a conscious thought. For now, there was only a deep sense of camaraderie, for surely if Nymeria was as lost and alone as Själ, then they must share something, and that was enough to elicit the beginning shreds of trust in the young mare.

The princess was surprised by the sudden warmth at her side, pleased that her expression of disgust with the state of the world had evoked such a supportive response from Nymeria. She leaned into the mare with a quiet sigh. She had never been so intimately close with someone, never offered herself as a shoulder to cry on (at least not so literally as this), nor had someone on which to lean. It felt... nice. The chill of Frostfall was not nearly so frigid with someone there to share it. "Friends," she confirmed with a sudden smile, amused but relieved at the childish agreement. Perhaps that was all that was needed sometimes: a return to simpler times, the faith of youth as a guiding light.

And so they were friends, the princess and the stranger, and suddenly the world seemed a little bit brighter.

Ansgar felt the shift and took flight from her position outside the Grove; within moments (which passed in a comfortable silence, their two breaths merging into one as they stood beside the cold, grey water) the griffin dropped to land easily on her bonded's haunches. The little cat-bird surveyed her princess's new friend and the dragon accompanying her, slitted pupils shrewd, almost emotionless. She decided that the mare looked well enough, as equines went, and that as long as neither she nor the dragon tried to harm Själ, they would all be very good friends. -Family?- she asked, chirping softly in welcome. Maybe, Själ mused. We shall see.

"There are more of us out there," she commented abruptly, turning to regard Nymeria thoughtfully. "More who are alone, I mean."

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria

Pixel by Reli <3

Nymeria & Lilómiel

They were pressed together (shoulder-to-shoulder, eye-to-eye, Nymeria couldn't believe Själ hadn't stepped away)—and Nymeria's thoughts fell and tumbled away from logic and reason. She couldn't help but think how out of character this was of her, this audacity and desire and... desire? No, she thought critically, studying the heat that radiated from her heart. This isn't desire. (Except how could she pass judgement on something she'd never known?)

Her nostrils flare; all she can smell now is the woman beside her, broad-shouldered and strong. Something tremulous buds in her corroded arteries, tandem to flowers blooming in her lungs. (Cut her open, dissect her for study, and she'd be beautiful. But she'd be dead because of flowers being where they don't belong.)

The spider wolf mare delicately shook her head, dislodging the emotions that swelled out-of-control and not where they belonged. Instead she smiled to herself, savouring the moment. For once she was lucky; for once she had a promise of something better to look forward to. (At least that's what she hoped.) Friends, Själ confirmed. What did I start here? What would grow up from that which had been planted between them?

She could take it back, of course. All she would have to do is disappear into the night. Fade away. It was unlikely they would ever cross paths, what with the size of Helovia and Nymeria's crepuscular habits—but Nymeria didn't want to embrace solitude again when she'd just found new family. More than anything she wanted this to work between them, however fragile a beginning this might have.

Lilómiel growled softly then, white teeth flashing in the shadows. What is it? Nym lifted her head—and a cat-bird landed on her friend's haunches. (It was undoubtedly her companion, but Nym had never seen such a strange creature before.) Eyebrows rising a touch, Nym stared at it for a moment longer before refocusing her attention upon Själ and her rough voice.

More who are alone. The grullo blinked, shifted her weight, considered and weighed. It had never occurred to her that there might be others who were in need of family, of acceptance; it had always seemed a burden unique to her. She supposed, thinking about it now, that that was both arrogant and childish of her... and yet Själ offered a surprisingly appetizing course of action, even if unwittingly.

"We could help them," she said softly. "We could... care for them, like we will care for one another. Nobody deserves to be alone." (An echo, a sentiment, sure to stir the same emotions in Själ as it did in her.)

(Would she bite?)

image credits

@Själ

Själ
A comfortable silence stretched in the pause between them, growing of the physical closeness that had surprised both young mares in its sudden appearance. It was... pleasant, this newfound ability to lean upon another, to rely on another's presence to soothe her shattered heart. Suddenly, the princess was tired; as warmth and exhaustion sank into her bones, she longed for nothing more than the ability to lean against her new friend and sleep. Still, she had only just met Nymeria, and though she had instinctively granted her friendship, she was loathe to give over her trust as easily.

Ansgar crooned a soft greeting, offering a kind, inquisitive look through golden eyes to the dark mare with the white skull face. Though she rarely cared for any of her bonded's acquaintances, the peace that Nymeria had brought to the princess was more than Ansgar could have hoped for. For that, the wolf-mare had already created a special place in the griffin's heart. "Her name is Ansgar," Själ added, recognizing the curious look given by her friend. (How strange it was, to call another a friend!)

Others were out there, as she had said before; but never had the girl considered the possibility of being able to help them. Being able to care for them. How many abandoned children cried for their parents on this day alone? How many lonely mares and heartbroken stallions walked in their midst, hiding their pain behind tired eyes and hopeless smiles? Nymeria was right - they could help. "We should," she confirmed then, smiling at the equine mare. "And we will."

"Talk."
--Ansgar.--
Själ

@Nymeria - seems like as good a place as any to end and start up a new thread!

Pixel by Reli <3