the Rift

For a Few Dollars More [Auri v. Caenan]

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel
The wind, I assumed, did not know remorse. It whipped my pale mane and tail in each direction, it's gusts unyielding, though infrequent. It's chilly breath clawed at my own, smokey exhales, tugged at my dark feathers. I pulled the appendages close, snorted at the effort it took and headed toward the southern border.

I was looking for a man I hardly knew, a unicorn, a fellow Protector of the Edge. Well, he was a Sergeant of the Edge. I didn't overlook his name, or his promotion, at the last meeting. His title assured me he was to be a formidable opponent. I could only hope he wouldn't evoke memories I had so carefully buried, like the other men who I had sparred against had done.

The thought caused a twinge of pain to flare in my breast, one I could only hope to use as kindle for a brighter flame, a victory. I had lost, but I had also learned. 'I can do this,' I reassured myself, trying to quiet the nervousness brewing in my chest.

I paused at the border, lingering away from it's deteriorating glass wall. The winds weren't as bad here as they were by the cliffs. 'This'll do,' I dolefully decided. Although I was sure I could make it through the fight, I dreaded it (because what if I can't do it after all?). But I had to, for our fight was long overdue. The nerves that bubbled within me, mixed with my affliction over fighting at all, made my call for the stallion tentative. I repeated my whinny a second time, though, with more vigor as I channeled my nerves into yelling for the man.

@Caenan
0/3
281/800

Setting: Forested southern border of the World's Edge, windy, solid ground and clear skies. It's the afternoon, around 1 or 2 o'clock, pretty chilly.
she belongs to the fire
Image Credit
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Caenan Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
"It's the heart and the soul and the body and the brain
Driving me insane
But the wind and the land and the fire and the rain
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

Caenan's ears perked up at the Captain's call. Since being promoted he paid more attention to those above him. The small taste he had gotten of what it was to be noticed; to be deemed worthy, was enough to make him thirst for it more. And though he liked his 'superiors' well enough, the rogue would never be content with being beneath someone else. Caenan would throw his efforts into becoming stronger. Into climbing the ranks further. For the herd that accepted and gave him the comfort of family but that did not try to halt his wandering hooves Caenan would give his all.

His pride made sure that the pirate amble over to Auriel in no particular hurry. Caenan walked a thin line with those of authority. His nature called for him to press boundaries. It demanded that he make sure that they knew that he listened to them but that he did not obey. The actions that Caenan took were still his own.

To reward himself for the promotion he had taken a few days down at the seashore. He could still taste the salty kisses of the ocean on his lips as he spoke, "Auriel," the recklessness of the sea waves still coursed through him, "ready for that spar?" Caenan approached her head on with his ears thrust forward in anticipation. He had trained for this spar and now with promotions in place the pirate was fighting against his Captain; it made his competitiveness spring to life.  

Caenan took his dancing emerald eyes from the somber grey tendrils of smoke that curled around his captain's nostrils and began to size her up as he had done so many times before; as he had done with all of his fellow Protectors. His eyes took her in as his opponent, no longer as a comrade. Auriel was slightly taller than he, but only by a breath. She was well built. The pegasus' build made for strength and speed greater than his own but Caenan was more agile on his hooves.

The bay used his greater agility for all that it was worth. Giving no warning, not even halting in front of her, Caenan sprung forward towards Auriel's right side. He angled himself to thrust his shoulder into hers. His hooves moved straight from his amble of a walk to the lithe movements that he hoped would give him the first attack. Though he was a good hearted man he was also a born rogue. Caenan saw no reason to delicately dance around what was to be a spar, what he hoped to be a good spar. He took a thrill in fights that did not follow well placed, thoroughly discussed rules. Who got the first attack would not be decided upon in battle.

Crashing towards Auriel Caenan flashed a grin as he passed by her head. He attempted to throw his weight into her shoulder. With her strength being greater than his he hoped to throw her off from the beginning. Following shortly after his first attempt at landing a hit Caenan gleefully called upon his magic that he received upon being given an official rank. Stomping a hoof he mirrored the shaking of the ground on his own frame as laughter leapt from him. "Been wanting to try that!"

Already Caenan felt his body warming. As a warrior's magic should, the magic that he had been gifted; the war stomp, required some strength to call upon. The stallion's heart raced from exertion, adrenaline was there too. Caenan was unable to feel the bite of the frigid Frostfall afternoon. He was lost to the spar.

Wordcount: 606
Attack: 1/3
Summary: He walks up to Auriel and gets right to it. What is the point in asking if she is there for the spar if you don't even wait for an answer, Caenan? He starts with leaping towards her right side, hoping to push his shoulder against hers to throw her off balance. Following that attempt he uses War Stomp to try to throw her off even further.

@Auriel I hope that it is okay with you that I took the first attack!

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
[Image: caenan_pixel_by_danjahmouse-d9wbjhj.gif]

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel
My tail swished against my hocks in anticipation. Could the pirate be any slower? Once I saw him meander towards me, I felt that he could be, if he so desired.

My features faltered for a moment, my nerves cracking and flooding as I saw how calm he was. I could only dream of being as relaxed as he, for I was anxious that he would make me hurt the same way Volterra and Sparky did—through tear stained memories and vengeful bloodlust. I swallowed a lump that formed in my throat, and pieced together a pathetic smile for the stallion. I was as ready as I would ever be (which wasn't very ready). "Born ready," I sang back, doing my best to make sure my voice wouldn't shake with my growing, burning trepidation.

My pale gaze roamed his body eagerly, sizing him up to keep my mind from becoming too apprehensive. I was taller than him, but not by much. I was stronger, built far rougher than he. Perhaps I could be faster than him, too. Whether or not I could match his endurance or agility I deemed questionable, though. As he neared closer to me, I began to suspect that I couldn't.

My heart raced as he shot towards me, a mahogany blur amongst the pine verdant. His oceanic aroma washed over me and immediately overwhelmed my senses, for I had never known a scent so sea stained. I didn't even realize he was attacking me until it was far too late to do anything about it. I gasped sharply, tucking my wings close to my body and braced for the worst. His grin filled me with frustration, for in the seconds that followed it, I knew I was helpless him.

He crashed into my right shoulder, forcing me to stumble to the left as unbearable pain began to seep into my senses. I had never been on fire before, but I imagined it had to be something like that. I bit my tongue to keep myself from crying out, for the stallion had hurt my flesh far more than he would ever know. I had to wonder if it were broken, if the stallion I had deemed to be no threat at all had broken me so quickly, but I could still move it. I was agonizingly battered, but not broken.

I stumbled away from the stallion, barely having time to catch my breath before the ground beneath my hooves began to shake. Panic rose and bubbled in my chest, my breathing becoming rapid and my smoke thin, reflecting only the anxiety I was feeling. That magic felt familiar, it felt like Volterra. I picked up my right leg, scared to return it to the ground and feel it's searing throb further. But the quake left me no choice but to set it down, to intensify the pain and suffer through it. I couldn't let myself fall so soon; not as I did with Volterra and his magic.

I splayed out my wings, doing my best to steady myself and put as little pressure on my leg as possible. Unfortunately, that did little to ease the pulsating pain that came from my shoulder. I glared back at Caenan, hearing jovial words fall from his carefree, salty lips. "Lucky hit," I panted with an exasperated cloud of smoke. I had underestimated the might of his agility.

I would have to fix that. I had to level the playing field, so to speak.

'Leg for a leg,' I thought crossly, furrowing my pale brow as my gaze flicked to his legs. I twisted to the right, to face the stallion once again. I pushed off the ground with my hind legs and left leg the best I could, for getting used to using only three limbs was still a foreign concept to me. The wind was little help as it fought my motions. I managed well enough, landing with a stumble, having to put my leg down only for a brief, excruciating second. I turned my head down and to it's right side as I attempted to plunge my teeth into his right upper forearm, lower elbow area. I simultaneously pulled my left wing up and around my face, hoping to provide protection from his teeth, and try to smack his jaw in the process.

Vengeful rage filled my senses, as I was concerned only with making him taste what being on three legs was like, and oh, how it hurt. If my plan worked, and he felt my pain, then his superior agility would be hindered. That was an added bonus to my attack; with that advantage over me gone, then I could work on using my strength to plow through him as Volterra once did to me.

1/3
800/800
@Caenan
I cut so much wtf..anyway auri gets mad and tries to bite him in the right upper forearm/lower elbow area and smack him in the jaw with her left wing

she belongs to the fire
Image Credit
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Time the Dice Queen Posts: 144
OOC Account atk: 50 | def: 50 | dam: 50
Mare :: Other :: 5'7 :: 22 HP: 5050 | Buff: DROPKICK
Time
Caenan defaults to Auriel.