the Rift

This is all I ever was

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

A clump of snow fell from the branch it had rested upon and landed with a resounding thump beneath the tree. As if this was the starting shot everything had been waiting for the still silence of the morning was shattered. A round of robins erupted from a nearby bush accompanied by such a raucous cacophony of chirps that a red fox was running from its snowy den. No sooner had the fleeing scavenger been spotted than the whole forest reverberated with a sound like ringing bells; waxwings by the hundreds had perched in the barren trees overnight and seemed determined to decide that if they couldn't have a sleep in, no one should.

Smiling quite despite the deafening tweets, the initial cause of this disturbance kept rubbing her rump against the tree trunk until the persistent itching resided. With a wide yawn and subsequent sigh of drowsy contentment Erthë bowed herself out from beneath the sheltering branches of the spruce, blinking against the brightness of the rising sun and breathing deeply the cold, crisp air.

The world was beautiful, and never more so than on days like this. The heavy snowfall from the previous days had subsided during the night and left the forest blanketed in white, painting the picture of a heart-wrenching fairy tail landscape of sugar and flour. Each tiny crystal reflected the light of the sky in an array of color, from the palest whispers of pink and blue to radiant pinpricks of yellows and amber that stung the eyes; it was dazzling, mind blowing, breathtaking. It was, Erthë suspected, winter's way of apologizing for the sometimes brutal temperatures that came riding upon the nipping winds. Though she personally rarely if ever felt cold she had studied the progression from relief to increased discomfort on the faces of the herd-members, and it had quickly become clear that she was among the few who actually relished the season.

Musing lazily over the varying tastes in regard to season and weather, the filly began to pick her way through the forest, no particular destination in mind though with the course shifting gradually more towards the west. She had an inclination that she ought to return home again soon, that she had been gone for a bit too long this time, but as much as the thought of her father, Tembovu and the many familiar, beloved faces warmed her the girl was also reluctant. It was nice to be out there on her own, to answer to no one but herself and have control over her own time. The time when she was able to romp around freely was growing shorter with each passing day; much like every teenager the young snowdrop was torn between relishing the lack of responsibility and cursing her own powerlessness. Maybe, once she had grown into her full height and had proper hips, the rest of the world would actually listen to what she had to say. Maybe they wouldn't overlook her anymore when the tip of an arrow reached higher than their kneecaps...

But at this thought the girl could only sigh. The Edge seemed to attract nothing but giants lately. Everyone she knew, with the exception of a few of the mares, had an advantage of several hands of height over her, and if she didn't fall into a growth-spurt really soon she was destined to gnaw at elbows for the rest of her life. Times like these the fay missed her mother more than ever. Shadow could have told her how to live with being a midget. The Blackbird could have imparted secrets on how to gain respect in the eyes of giants and men without screaming, and might even have a few ideas on how to further utilize the ivory bow... Maybe. Fact remained, Erthë had never spent enough time with the black pegasus to know what her actual thoughts on a magical weapon would be. Their time together had been too short, cruelly stolen through acts of violence and pointless bravery...

Blowing a silken curl away from her eyes the filly shook her head and re-focused her gaze upon the surrounding landscape. Maybe it really was time to return back home - with thoughts roaming like this she would likely step straight into a bear's cave before even realizing that it was dangerous. Not even an enchanted weapon would save her from carelessness or stupidity.

"Come on girl, time to shape up.." she murmured to herself, lips curving into a grin even as she did so; it delighted her to think how crazy she must look, shuffling this way and that while muttering to herself.

"Talking to yourself? Definitely a sign that you've been out here a tad too long. Home it is then..."

But there was no need to hurry, not yet. Heading west was good enough, wasn't it? South and west, south and west. She would get there eventually.

Waiting for the rain I'm bracing for the thunder
A twig that wouldn't sway in the wind

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Riel Posts: 15
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
LovellaTorendo
riel
"and I'll follow the sun"

if the end should come for me
I hope and pray that it shall be
in golden sunlight and destiny

Sunrise…

It colors the Helovian sky in brilliant hues promising kisses of warmth for those that stand in the rays of the morning star. Winter is still clinging desperately to the landscape in a dusty white blanket but soon enough the chill and snow both will fade away and leave spring in their wake. The flowers are not yet growing but the birds are returning, slowly. Owls, ravens and the like never left to begin with. Some small song birds remained through the cold months as well and it is these small, fluffy, chirping avians that take to the skies now singing the sun to its throne.

Riel joins the birds…

She’d flown throughout the night but she is not too tired to play with her feathered friends. Her elegant, compact frame dips, soars and spins dancing among the tiny creatures with care. Four shining wings adorn her glittering golden shoulders moving her strongly through the air. This game brings her over the western edge of the Threshold Forest before long. Eventually she happens to look down and take note of this fact. Calling sing-song farewells to the flock growing around her she dives groundward. Her speed is pulled up short a safe distance from the earth and she glides easily to a landing in a clearing at the edge of the forest.

“Well, this is not where I meant to find myself this morning. I must have overshot in the night...”

A huff of confusion leaves her lips but she does not seem terribly dismayed.

It feels like only yesterday that I arrived, for a second time, in the very forest that stretches before me now. In truth it has been three seasons, nearly in full. Najya welcomed me then and brought me back home, back to the Dragon’s Throat where she assured me Ampere was still a well known face. I’ve not sought out this former acquaintance or any of the friends I’ve made since. I’ve been keeping to myself… greeting the sun with each down, listening to the great tree, exploring the board sands, but all on my own. There are just so very many warriors in the desert. This of course makes it a safe and comfortable place to call home but, I am ashamed to admit, I find their presence in such numbers to be more than a little intimidating. This is the reason behind my recent reclusiveness. I will have to shake it off eventually, I know I will, maybe when spring comes…

That unreasonable intimidation is no excuse for shirking my duties however. So, now that winter is nearly ended, I’ve gone out to complete the task given me. Patrol the Thistle Meadow. Somehow, I’ve managed to lose said meadow. At least I landed somewhere I am familiar with, if I just turn myself back towards the south and start traveling I’m sure to come across the meadow eventually. Wait, what is that...

The petite golden mare is starting to turn away from vast spread of towering trees when a sound catches her attention. Her ears prick alertly and she wuffs questioningly before make a snap decision. With folded wings tucked tight against her side she trots out of the clearing and into the trees. It is not long before these quick strides bring another equine-type being within her view. Halting quickly she peers around one very large tree trunk.

She is youthful, this other, but clearly filling herself out with some speed. She lacks the obvious, long-legged awkwardness of the very young but is still something less than full grown. Her figure is delicate, like that of her observer, and lovely. If Riel is a beam of sunlight and stardust then this woman-child is a drop of snow. The wings the downy wings that hang over her back look like they could belong to a very large swan and these features are accented by multiple shimmering horns and the occasional piece of dangling jewelry.

“Beautiful...”

Riel breaths the word as she slinks forward, exposing her full form. She comes near to the younger girl and stops again just a few body lengths away.

“Hello, are you lost too?”

(Image Credits | table by Odd | quote from "I'll Follow the Sun" by The Beatles)

Helovia Hard Mode
(pixel by Chan | pixel base by BronzeHalo)
Actions: No killing | Tagging: Yes
Riel was designed, characterized and originally played by Chan

Chan

As though caught in the act, a little sheepish and lacking the social grace to hide it Erthë flinched and turned in the direction of the voice. It ought not have been sudden. In fact it was the part of realizing that someone had gotten so close to her without she becoming aware of them that alarmed her, rather than the golden mare herself. It would be stretching the truth to claim that the filly was any good at sneaking, but ought she not at least be able to detect the presence of someone who clearly didn't try to hide?

"No", she replied. "I know exactly where I am."

It was embarrassing to say the least, and the offense she took in her own clumsiness made the tone of her voice flat and rather less cordial than intended. Pursing her lips Erthë collected herself into a more flattering posture, gathered up legs and downy wings and a coiling tail, all while studying the stranger through narrowed eyes. It was a pretty thing she had stumbled across, all legs and neck and golden shimmer, with a voice like gleaming nectar and hair that rivaled silver in steely luster. As though drawn there by some invisible force her gaze fell upon the lean shoulders and the double wing-pairs that rested there so casually, big and glossy and certainly deserving of the jealous jolt that course through the filly's innards.

The mare looked like she could be a sister to the Sun God himself, and yet she had the nerve to speak of beauty while looking at Erthë's scrawny, adolescent self? The audacity to look past chafed elbows, knobbly knees and knotted hair and see what the girl couldn't even comprehend, let alone care about?

It was laughable, yet somehow the girl felt more annoyed than amused. She shook the crowned head as though doing so might let her unhear the unintended compliment, and with another shift in stance the tension in the slight, slender body expressed no gratitude, only wariness and suspicion.

"Who are you? I've never seen you around here..."

Not surprising, of course, considering how many horses that inhabited Helovia and passed through the threshold forest on a daily basis. But the Erthë was at a loss for words, unsure of whether she ought to run, fight or crack a joke - so this was the next best option. All hail rudeness; Tembovu would probably roll his eyes and sigh if he ever got wind on this conversation.

@Riel

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

The goliath marches through the now-familiar embrace of the Threshold, the ground quaking and quivering beneath the force of his colossal hooves. He creates a war-drum rhythm on the snowy ground, a cacophony of size and sheer brute strength. He is alone, his dragons hunting in the depths of this strange forest - he has commanded them to co-operate and bring down larger prey, so reluctantly they both pursue a large deer together.

Aside from the ravenous emotions of his companions that ebb into his mind, Volterra feels nothing. He is pure beast, a creature of impulses and needs, even moreso than he was before. This is what Isopia has done to him. All he knows is the ground beneath his feet and the chill winter wind in his mane, the tickle of frigid air on his sweating, heaving flesh. He knows only the gnawing of hunger in his belly, the twitch of lust in his loins, and the quivering of his thick muscles which demand to be sated on the battlefield.

He has come here just once before, when he met his brother - there is nothing here for him, not really. Most who come here are seeking homes, or heading out into the wilderness; he half-contemplates following them, to see what he can take outside Helovia. Perhaps he could go and live with his father, and be raised to princehood with his dragons; no doubt his sire would secure him many women to indulge in. After all, what is the point of anything else but the simple cravings of the flesh? The loss of Isopia has left him numb, his emotions turned off to be replaced only with simplistic, animal want.

That, and anger. They are all he knows. When this all passes, when he's normal again, he will look back on this dark, dark period in his life and think it has made him stronger. But now, in the depths of it, he sees no end, no light at the end of the tunnel. So he chooses not to think about it at all.

Then, he smells mare. His nostrils flare, his hunger erupts. He prowls towards her, his neck arched to display each rugged muscle and toned sinew. He bursts out of the trees, sees her, drinks her in.

She is a fine broad, a delicious example of woman. He thinks he would rather like to take her, to delve beneath those four wings and sate his thirst; the fact she is golden only increases her beauty, as the stallion has a keen eye for such royalty. He has gold bonded to his mind, after all. His eyes darken dangerously, the thrill of the hunt, the take...

But then he sees the other. His head jerks away from the grown mare and shifts towards the filly nearby, the familiar white filly... "Erthë?" She has grown since last time they met, at Vadir's hatching - but what is she doing here? Has she been outside Helovia, to those strange untamed lands beyond the Threshold?

The beast looks back to the golden mare, but his desire is somewhat tempered by Erthë's presence. Like a little white cockblock, she's taken his mind away from the woman and onto her - she has a knack for that. He remembers their first meeting, when she distracted him from his newfound two-year-old desires and gave him a few precious moments of relief from the then-unknown aches of his body. "What are you doing here?" His voice is toneless, lacking passion; a clear indication of the nothingness inside.

V O L T E R R A

FIFTY WORDS FOR MURDER AND I'M EVERY ONE OF THEM
image credits

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Riel Posts: 15
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
LovellaTorendo
riel
"and I'll follow the sun"

if the end should come for me
I hope and pray that it shall be
in golden sunlight and destiny

Riel has never in her life tried to hide from anything.  Avoid, yes, but never hide from.  Someday this is sure to get her in trouble.  There are things out there that certainly should be hidden from and it is unlikely that she will recognize those things for what they are if she ever meets them.  This time it does not matter so much, at least not at first.  Still, despite her lack of camouflage or attempts at a silent approach, she seems to have startled the stranger she has come upon in the white blanketed wood.  It is almost as if the girl had been doing something she shouldn’t have been for her surprised start is much larger than the situation truly warrants.  Her expression is tightly contained by the time she rounds to face her golden watcher however.

As the younger female ruffles her feathers and pulls herself together, drawing up to a more correct posture, Riel inches closer.  The tone with which she finds herself addressed leaves something to be desired.  If Riel’s voice is all sunlight and warmth, a perfect match to her glittering outward appearance, then this lass is just as fine a match in speech to her own outward appearance.  The words that fall on the golden ears are all chill and frost but Riel is not bothered by such small things as lacking social graces.  She certainly can’t hold any claim to unwavering politeness afterall.  While unfailingly kind in all things, her forward manner still frequently falls short of strictly “polite”.  Her smile only widens as the assertive reply reaches her.

“Oh, how lucky!  Maybe you can help me then.  You see, I know where here is… I’ve been to this Threshold forest before.  I seem to have gotten turned around in the darkness though and now I’m not entirely sure how to find the place I’m actually supposed to be...”

Despite her direct admission about being lost, Riel doesn’t seem too terribly concerned with the fact.  Her ears remain pricked happily forward and her eyes shine with wild joy.  Even the continued stiffness and narrow-eyed, almost sullen gaze of the adolescent girl does not appear to dampen her mood in the least.

There are few things I enjoy more than meeting people I have never met before.  Regardless of whether or not they are as pleased to be meeting me.  Just now, this new face is almost enough to distract me from my very important task.  It has certainly sidelined things for the moment.  Still, if this girl knows her way in our world as well as she claims I am sure I can convince her to at least point me in the right direction when we are finished talking.  She definitely seemed sure about that claim, so I see no reason at all for concern.  Even if it turns out that she can’t, or isn’t willing, to give me directions I’m sure I can get myself right all on my own.  It will just be less convenient and delay me a little longer is all.  I am about to rush on with a series of eager questions when my companion continues the conversation all on her own...

“No, you wouldn’t have.  I’ve only lived here for a few seasons and I don’t get out as much as I should.  I’m Riel of the Dragon’s Throat.  Where do you live and what is your…”

The golden lady is then interrupted by a voice from behind her supplying half of the answer to the question she hadn’t quite finished asking.  This new arrival made no greater attempt to hide than Riel had and yet Riel, like Erthe, is startled enough to flinch.  Her flinch manifests in a small sideways hop and sudden loosening of her previously pinned wings.  The feathered appendages unfold slightly but not far enough to bump into anyone or anything.  She quickly side steps shifting so that she can easily see both parties involved in the impromptu meeting.  Her head turns to the left and right causing the silver bells in her mane to tinkle merrily as she glances between them.  In the end her sunny smile settles on the male.  There is no sheepish chagrin or other indication of embarrassment in her expression or her voice as she offers open welcome to this stallion.

“Hello, friend of Erthe.  May I know your name?”

She is completely oblivious to the hungry manner with which her ass had been assessed as the man exited the trees.  Because she was not clued in to the possible danger in the first place, she has no idea that the mere presence of the snow-white teen has saved her from sure ravishment brought on by uncontrolled testosterone.

(Image Credits | table by Odd | quote from "I'll Follow the Sun" by The Beatles)

@Erthë 
@Volterra

Helovia Hard Mode
(pixel by Chan | pixel base by BronzeHalo)
Actions: No killing | Tagging: Yes
Riel was designed, characterized and originally played by Chan

Chan

"Riel, huh..." She tried the name with a thoughtful expression and found that it rolled easily from the tongue, foreign yet pleasant enough - suitable indeed to the gilded angel whose appearance alone warranted a sweet title. To the shame of the ill-mannered young dove it turned out her personality was equally pleasant. Instead of baring down on the rude curtness of the response Riel simply conversed pleasantly, spilling words with a speed and enthusiasm that was almost alarming. It brought the ghost of a smile onto the lips of the frosty teen, a bit hesitant at first but with a suggestion it might widen, like the warmth of sun thawing away ice from budding flowers.

"From the Throat? I have friends there, an uncle... I live in the Edge myself though. If you tell me where..."

She was interrupted by the sound of approaching feet. Riel started beside her and mostly in response to her sudden agitation, paired also with her own frazzled nerves perhaps, Erthë turned sharply when the sound of anothers words disrupted the stillness of the morning. Even before she laid eyes on him however she recognized the deep rumbling voice of Volterra; surprise mingled with apprehension and delight as she turned to face him, the smile widening even as brows traveled up the face.

"I could ask you the same" she retaliated with a lopsided grin. "Riel, this is Volterra. Not sure if I want to call him a friend exactly... he's a bit too grumpy for my tastes. I bet it's the size of his butt that's the reason, I wouldn't be too happy either with all that flabbing going on."

With their first encounter in vivid recall she poked her tongue out towards the big stallion, eagerly expecting him to quip back like he usually did. Large alabaster wings extended out from shoulders that seemed much too frail to support their collective weight as she stretched, tense muscles relaxing now in the presence of a familiar face. As they settled back down it was against sides no longer childishly chubby but curved, subtly rounded hips explaining what her cheeky words failed to convey. It had been a long time since they last met and the wild swan was growing into herself more and more with each passing day. She did not even realize it herself, but there was nothing childish about the way she stepped in close on slender legs to jokingly nudge him in the shoulder or how she lingered in his presence, delicate and tantalizing like the first berries of summer.

"To be honest I was just on my way home" she continued to say, smiling as she peered up - always up - at Volterra. "It's about time I got back, before they send out a search party!" She laughed, then looked about around the stud for his usual companions. After searching both trees and sky she came up empty however; "Where are the dragons? Off playing hooky?"

It was too bad, Erthë loved watching them. There weren't that many dragons around in the Edge, and she knew no other person who had two. As much as she envied him for his luck there was also respect there, for the strength of mind required to sustain and control the connection with such magnificent creatures.

She hardly realized it but her attention had shifted almost entirely towards the stallion as he entered the scene. Though she had been in the middle of saying something before, the words had left thought and memory already in favor of her over-sized friend - he had a knack for taking over the stage where he went, and she merrily allowed herself to be dragged along.

Well. At least for the time being.

@Volterra

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

His ravenous eyes return to the golden mare as she flinches, twitches away from him - is she afraid, daunted by the reek of man? Is she frightened by the wicked gleam in his eye, which leaves nothing to the imagination? She is delicious, and he continues to stare lecherously and openly at her, momentarily disregarding Erthë's presence.

Part of him wants to see how the filly reacts - she is older now, and perhaps she knows things from her time outside Helovia, if indeed that's where she's been during these past months. Perhaps she knows the salacious song of the birds and the bees - or, in Volterra's case, the beast and his beauties. Perhaps she will be intrigued by the feral way in which he is looking at Riel, and perhaps she will look forward to the day she can create those feelings in stallions, too.

But no, there are some things young girls should not see - and she is still a young girl, even if his eye is naturally drawn to her newfound curves and edges. She is not yet a woman grown and flowered, her tender eyes not ready for such things. With what little sanity he has left, the monolith tears his gaze away from the golden mare, bids his burning blood to temper itself, and fixes his attention on Erthë instead.

Is it his imagination, or does she look pleased to see him? Indeed, he is...fond of her, too, in a strange, reluctant way. If only he was in the right mental state to return her smile - alas, he is not, and can only offer a slightly less menacing twist of his scarred face in a crude approximation of a greeting.

He's a bit too grumpy for my tastes. I bet it's the size of his butt that's the reason, I wouldn't be too happy either with all that flabbing going on.

He laughs; a snort, a genuine, joyous exhale of air. It is the first time he has laughed in weeks, and it feels strange, wrong. Like pissing on the casket at a funeral. Like swearing at his sister. But it feels good, too, to experience his ability to create something pure and innocent, something not twisted and tainted by the darkness that froths inside him. There is something childlike about it, something...happier. The stoic, stern-faced behemoth is not one to show levity, but he thinks in this circumstance he wants something to ignite a different emotion inside him, an emotion he does not normally feel even when he is fully sane. He wants something to remind him that there's a light at the end of this dark, dark tunnel, that this numbness is not what the rest of his life is doomed to be.

"My 'butt', as you so eloquently put it, needs to be big - after all, you need a big hammer for a big nail." There's a filthy glimmer in his eye and a deep, satisfying undercurrent of innuendo in his voice; a voice that actually has tone, instead of the cold monotone he's been doomed to since Isopia left. Will the girl know what he means, or will his vulgarity and masculine pride in his size go right over her head? Will she blush?

She moves close, nudges his shoulder. The physical contact feels...odd, and he tells himself that the frisson of heat in his groin is purely because of the joke he's just made. She talks of home, then asks about his dragons. He glances to the heavens, feeling a sudden spark of bloodlust as they swoop at the deer, slashing chunks from its terrified, fleeing flesh...The thrill of the hunt threatens to overwhelm him, and he is forced to sever his link with them down to the smallest tendril. "They are hunting, dear girl. They have needs, as I do." Another glance over to Riel, his eyes hooded and wicked. They flicker unbidden across the new curves of Erthë's body, but it feels wrong, and they slide swiftly to her face instead. "And where is home?"

The other mare speaks, then, the glimmering golden beauty who ignites such things inside him. The filly has already introduced him, so he sees no need to respond to that. "And what is your name?" he questions, having entered after she gave it.

V O L T E R R A

FIFTY WORDS FOR MURDER AND I'M EVERY ONE OF THEM
image credits

@Riel

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]