the Rift

[PRIVATE] It's the storm that I believe in

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

It was snowing again. Like pale down fallen from an angels fluttering wings the flakes drifted down from a gray sky and blanketed the ground and the barren boughs of every shrub and tree in sight. With no wind to speak of the forest of the Edge was eerily silent, not so much because the stillness was unpleasant but rather due to it's rarity. With no leaves to rustle in a restless breeze and the falling snow to cushion the impact of your feet against the ground all that was left were the sound of your own strained breathing where you picked your way through the underbrush. In the deep, reverberating stillness that remained every action made seemed to amplify with importance, so that you ended up weighing your words, if indeed you dared speak at all. In the monochrome landscape of white and black the trunks of the trees turned into living columns, the arching canopy a natural cathedral hallowed to wintertime and murmured, intimate conversation.

Naturally, this overarching feel of peaceful serenity made Erthë restless. More than ever the girl wished to wreak havoc somehow, shatter the stillness like a fox exploding a peck of hens in the henhouse, not so much out of spite as to see them squawk and run about. She had been home for no more than a day or two, returned from the extended exodus to find that nothing had changed, for good and bad - and already she was itching to leave again.

Like a pale ghost, silent and writhing in soulful agony she paced through the forest, seeking something, anything to occupy her thoughts with. Time and time again she thought about seeking out this person or that, but the effort it involved seemed insurmountable. To actually talk to someone, wasn't that the most bothersome thing imaginable? How did you even start a conversation... it had been so long since she addressed anyone that the words had gone stale in her throat, clinging to the tongue and refusing to let go.

And yet.

If she kept silent any longer the filly feared she might burst from all the pent up emotion.

With something wild and impishly wicked about the eyes she turned abruptly and made for the cliffs, recklessly approaching the mist-veiled edge until teeny cloves teetered on the very edge, scraping loose pebbles that tumbled off into the soft, white nothingness that was open air. For a heartbeat she listened to the deafening silence - and then she shattered it with a scream that came from the very depths of her soul. On and on it went, reverberating back and forth throughout the silent landscape - a wordless cry of rebellious teen spirit that couldn't care less about consideration, politeness or proper mannerisms.

She screamed until her throat felt sore. Then she quieted and listened, breathlessly waiting to see what effect would be of this sinful act - peace shattered, silence disturbed, havoc wreaked.

She would be so disappointed if it turned out no one had even noticed.

Waiting for the rain I'm bracing for the thunder
A twig that wouldn't sway in the wind

@Tembovu

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu & Mbwene
He the interior of the Edge, leaving his childhood friend and their bloody sparring-grounds behind. It seemed, as he took account of the shredded and bleeding hide over his shoulder, that the the serpent had learned much in the ways of self-dense in the time they had spent apart. He supposed (perhaps conceitedly, but wholly truthfully) that Kiuaji’s protection fled with his own disappearance. Though his poisons were deadly, they did not make up for brute strength when one comes to kill you. So, he mused, in his limping gait, the serpent needed to hone his battle skills.

In the calm and quiet (too quiet), he kept his mind turning — lest he let it wanted to darker, shadowed places. His new magic, that of shifting into an Elephant, was so much easier to control than the first magic; the enraged magmaphants. It was a strange transformation, so immobile, yet the power and strength he felt after… it was intoxicating. For the first time, he felt small in his own hide, compared to the gargantuan elephant bull he had been—

His head snapped up, looking through the trees towards the near cliffs. The scream that rent the stillness went on and on— familiar and foreign in the same breath. Regardless, his limping walk burst into a slow, sore lope towards the source of the sound. He was in no state to truly defend, but he felt his duty as King pull him towards the sound.

Erthe? The question is out of his thick lips the moment he sees the pearlest, white rump of the filly. Though, as he knows, she is a filly no longer. She is a yearling, long legs and lanky frame; but the Elephant still things of her as the foal-fuzz youth that barged into the Threshold, full of curiosity and pomp. Perhaps he always would.

Mbwene shuffled behind him, bumping into his haunches at his sudden halt when he his navy gaze had alighted on the filly young woman. “Where have you been? And what are you screaming for?” His low rumble sounds the two, most pressing questions on his mind, while Mbwene meandered forward, trunk covered in some of his dried blood, ears flapping in greeting and bright blue eyes curiously studying this filly. She had felt many things through their bond, but this feeling, of protective care, was new.

SORRY I TOOK SO LONG <3
I also set it after his spar with Kiuaji, so I left his wounds nebulous :P

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan

Earth-shattering steps approached, so heavy and resolute that the very foundations of the world quivering and quaking. In the reverberating silence that lingered after her voice faded Erthë felt her restlessness give way for a wild, jubilant elation, because she knew those steps, recognized the familiar steady stride like she did the looming mountains in the north, from the sudden flare of affectionate warmth that erupted within her heart.

Tembovu came as she knew hoped he would, and the smile she gave him over a lean shoulder as he questioned her was as wild and fierce as it was cheeky, brazen.

"Because I shouldn't" came her replies, a bit hoarse and breathless but with something vibrant in the tone as if life overflowed from the grandness of her soul, the fragile porcelain vessel too small to contain it. "It would upset people, that's why I did it!"

She laughed and turned to face him, pale eyes - one green as sea foam, the other milky and deadened, yet seeing none the less - raking across his frame, hungrily absorbing everything that had changed since last she laid eyes on her King. Frowning slightly she lingered on the fresh cuts and bruises, on new lines around vivid sapphire eyes that should not have appeared for many years, but though she longed to know what had caused them (was the crown that heavy a burden, or was there something else weighing on him) her attention was stolen by the approach of something big, gray and wrinkly, a small creature so immediately endearing that Erthë forgot to be afraid even though she had never seen anything remotely like it in her life.

"Oh, it's adorable!" she squealed and reached out a small, pink nose towards the creature, her friendly excitement palpable and perhaps a bit overpowering for a first greeting. "What is it, what's his name - or is it a she? Where did you find it?"

Positively trembling with curiosity she made to examine the peculiar little creature should it allow her to, gentle kissers longing to touch the wrinkly skin and see if it was soft, rough, if it was thick and unfeeling or whether she could cause the sweet babe to wriggle by tickling its stubby, squared sides. Hungrily she studied the big ears and noted how they flapped back and forth in vivid display of emotion, the incredible flexibility of the long, dangling appendage - was it a nose? and how she - he? - used it to explore the world, the ground, maybe even her.  

Tembovu & Mbwene
The blood was tried on his shoulder, and the wound was mostly congealed. Some of his sweeping strides had dislodged parts of clots, and so small dribbles of ruby blood sluggishly bead and roll over is hide. His right shoulder twitched against the droplets instinctively, as they mimic the tickling of insects. Though none are to be found this late in Frostfall.

His ears jerk slightly at her reply— finding her newfound brazenness surprising and amusing in the same breath; eyes crinkle in amusement at the wild smile amid her angelic features. Because, as he had realized on his arrival, Erthe would the spunky and sassy filly to him. But a brow did raise as she laughed and swung to face him, “You enjoy upsetting others, now, Erthe?” The question is bland on his low rumbling, more interested than reprimanding.

He was surprised by the close inspection she gave his face— the yearling was growing up. A foal would never think to look for the signs time left on a face, and here Erthe was frowning slightly at what she found on his. Though, he knew his time in Helovia (and as King) were leaving its mark on his mind and body. He felt it was much as any could see it.

His brow dropped and grin grew to a smile at the squeals over his elephant calf. “This is Mbwene, an elephant— my namesake from my native land,” he answered her questions— though his words were interrupted by a chuckle as Mbwene’s trunk reached out to bump the girl’s muzzle. A short, brassy squeak escaped her as she found her muzzle to be cold, trunk jerking back for a moment. Allowing her muzzle to sweep along her wrinkled skin, her own trunk reached to further inspect the icy skin of the woman, a questioning trumpet reverberating from small chest.

“I found her egg in the maze where we fought the Wolf God,” even though she didn’t deserve to be bound to me, though he did not speak that aloud. He did not want to relive the events preceding finding the elephant’s egg.

Shifting his gaze from the pushy inspection of the elephant calf back to Erthe, he re-asked the question she had not answered, “What trouble have you been causing?” Amusement colored his tone and gleaming, navy eyes.

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan

Enraptured by the elephant child, the feel and sound and sight of her, Erthë gave only minor signs of actually hearing the reply to her many queries. Humming and nodding it would be easy to mistake her lack of response for disinterest - but only if one missed the eyes that narrowed in calculation or the brow that furrowed in concentration as she added these new puzzle pieces to some unseen canvas of sprawling information within her mind.

But she wasn't so busy examining the King's young companion that she forgot to reply to his questions. Grinning happily Erthë looked up from a curiously prodding little trunk and said:

"Not so much upsetting them, Tembu, it's more that I enjoy seeing what they do when something unexpected happens." She used the nickname she had given him - for what seemed like ages ago now - with affection and without much thought to it, even though she was more than capable now of pronouncing the man's name properly.

"I love the Edge but it can get very dull here sometimes, don't you agree?"

A sudden prod of little Mbwene made the filly wriggle and sidestep, squealing in mock offense at the tickling sensation. Pearly hooves scraped over barren rocks as the hybrid girl inched out of reach, a wily twist of rose-tinted lips tempting - no daring - the companion to do that again.

"It's why I went away for a bit, you see. Not to make trouble" she continued, gaze focused on Mbwene while a soft woolen ear remained fixed in Tembovu's direction. "I was exploring Helovia, and... well, looking for my brother too I suppose. I have one, did you know? Though for some reason mother refrained from telling me until her dying day, and now I don't even know what he looks like - only his name."

Something bitter and angry flashed through her gaze at the thought, and with a sigh Erthë turned back to the big stallion.

"Do you think that's fair, Tembu?" she asked the man, bluntly straightforward as always.

"Mother never told me about having a brother, Father mentioned having a brother too but haven't said another word on the matter, I don't know who their parents were either... I could have family everywhere or nowhere, but there is no way of finding out because right now I can't even seem to find the ones I do know about."

"Should parents really be allowed to keep secrets from their kids?"

The girl came to a halt as she spoke and took her eyes off the elephant, mulling thoughts carrying her attention away from the game she had initiated.

Tembovu & Mbwene
A grin crinkled the corners of his navy eyes as she voiced her childhood nickname for him, despite her leggy yearling body betraying the receding of her youth. It warmed his chest, despite the shadows and conflicted emotions that warred there— it was a relief. Unknowingly, a soft sigh push out his dark nostrils as she spoke.

Though his black brows swept up as she proclaimed the Edge to be boring, “I can’t say that I’ve found the Edge ‘boring,’ Erthe. Though, I suppose there haven’t been many foals for you to be with; but,” he paused, thinking, “Nyx just brought two fillies into the Edge. Perhaps that will make it less dull?” His head cocked to the side, slightly, wondering if younger foals would really be diverting to the energetic Erthe. Perhaps not…

His lips opened to offer another distraction from boredom for the hybrid yearling, but quickly closed them as she continued to speak, revealing that she had a brother. His brows raised further at the bitter and angry flash in her eyes, challenging question rammed through the air at him.

Mbwene, feeling the surprise and loosing the attention of the cold, velveteen yearling, huffed softly, wrapping her trunk gently around her crooked, white foreleg. Gently the tip of her trunk traced the uneven lines of bones beneath the surface, but she remained quiet as the winged, little equid addressed her big bonded.

Tembovu remained silent during the blind assault of Erthe’s words. Only a single backward tilt of his ear betrayed the discontent that suddenly rushed through him at accosting words. A long, contemplative silence held after her tirade, dark eyes studying her even as he lost her eyes. “No, I do not think it is fair,” he finally spoke, “But do you tell your parents everything?” A brow raise slightly as he asked this question, pausing for an answer.

“While I do not advocate keeping secrets, Erthe, I cannot speak for your Mother or Father. Perhaps they had fair reasons for it… Perhaps some understanding is needed,” his low voice ended quietly, closely watching the yearling for her reaction.

I have NO idea when this is set in his timeline, so I had him know about Nyx's foals but not his own? I don't know.

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan

The child considered the king's words behind a grimace of reluctance, lips pressed tightly together as eyes flashed in the age old protestation of youthful arrogance against reason. Tembovu had a point there, she did keep a lot from her one remaining parent... mostly because he simply wasn't around that often to hear what she had to say, but also because some things were too... not complicated, and not strictly private either, because Erthë would gladly share all her secrets with someone she loved, but certain things just didn't translate well into words. Somehow she couldn't really equal her childish transgressions to the withholding of such important facts as family members however, and she drew breath as lips parted to quip this at Tembovu.

Before she had the chance of spilling her frustration onto him, a soft gray trunk wrapped around her leg and held it gently, a touch so warm and kind that the girl lost track of her own anger in sheer surprise. Blinking she gazed down at the young elephant, seeking out the small, dark eyes that to her seemed ancient and wise and infinitely beautiful - and sighed, deflating from whatever answer she thought herself able to see within Mbwene's soul.

"No, I guess I don't. Nor do either of us stick in one place long enough to actually talk about things... Heh!" She suddenly laughed, a quip of mirthful irony too old for her years. "I sure inherited their wanderlust too" she said. "Both of them were vagabonds and I can't seem to stomach staying in one place for more than a few days."

Shaking her head in a gesture of dry amusement, the filly eventually shrugged to herself and let the matters drop, realizing she would get nowhere by mulling over it. Instead she reached down to nuzzle the little elephant child, smiling despite herself as she inhaled the sweet scent that seemed to cling to every baby throughout the animal kingdom - save reptiles, perhaps, for they were never truly young in their ways.

"Sorry, Tembu. How have you been? And the rest of the herd? I've no doubt missed things while I was away..."

Pale eyes were simultaneously apologetic and curious as she glanced up at her friend. No doubt the reason for his lack of boredom within the herd was due to the fact that he as King likely was at the center of much that went on within the forest realm - not left out on the sidelines and waved off as a child too small and too dumb to be of use. Erthë was as relieved of not having that responsibility as she was jealous over his being allowed to help with things, and for all that she tried to pull the old 'If I can't do it I won't bother with anything', her longing to be of use for the herd she called family simply wouldn't go away.

The news of Nyx's kids was curious indeed and brought her mind to the twins she had seen born on the other side of winter. Was it d'Arcy and Libertad he meant? Or had the General gotten herself pregnant again so soon?

Intrigue painted a smile across the face of the cygnet, and once again Erthë's mercurial temperament swayed back towards happiness. It felt so good to be home again.  

Tembovu & Mbwene
The Elephant quietly watches the reluctance, the tight pressing of her pink muzzle. But whatever contrary words were about to spill out of the filly died in Mbwene’s bright blue gaze. The elephant calf’s vast ears flap softly as she gained the turquoise eyes of the yearling. A murmured, brassy snort came from her trunk in reply to the look— before the mercurial child’s attention shifted back to the King.

Her question catches him by surprise. Just what had happened while the youth was gone, embracing her wanderlust? The King thought for a long, few moments— when had he last seen the pale hybrid shuffling around the Edge? When she had greeted Dacianna with Kiuaji. A long, low breath expelled from his nostrils.

So much had happened.

He had lit Mauja aflame, he had shared intimacy with Elsa, he had grown closer to Orithia and tried to put both himself and Katerina at ease, he had spoken with Rexanna and learned that demons from her own past were haunting her. He alienated Alysanne, his head Moon Doctor. “Many things have happened, Erthe,” he started, his low rumble burdened with darkness, “Not all good.”

He paused, thinking just what to tell the yearling— who was wise beyond her years. “The Edge trades with both the Basin and the Throat, now. We are gaining a tent and a drawbridge. And Tilney is now one of our Moon Doctors,” he began with Edge-related things, before delving lightly into personal matters, “But there is some unease within the Edge. And there are things I must atone for…” He trailed of quietly for a moment. “But I will,” was his offhand dismissal of such a dark and tedious discussion.

“I think you’ve won over Mbwene,” his attention shifts from inward to outward, navy eyes lightening as the ghost of a lopsided grin turned up a corner of his muzzle. “That’s not an easy task,” his grin grew full-fledged (even if it didn’t entirely meet his eyes) at the indignant snort of the elephant calf, who unwrapped her trunk from Erthe’s legs to threateningly point it towards her bonded.

Do you want this thread to turn into their fake-spar thread? I was thinking we could end this one and have a new on in BS? But I'm open to either :D

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan

The man held things back, that much was certain. Pale eyes lingered on him, narrowing at half-spoken confessions and muttered promises of repentance, things she knew nothing of and thus made little sense. Atonement? Unease? Cuts and bruises she could understand, the sweat of sparring and running told tales where no words were needed, but Erthë was not a mind reader. She could tell that he was thinking of something, but when the king shrugged and tried to change the subject (one he had brought up in the first place) Erthë was left wondering what on earth he was talking about.

This, she had to admit, was a scenario she was not good at handling. On one hand she was curious and frank enough to press Tembovu for answers if she decided to appease this craving to know. He would probably answer, something in his manners hinted to her that he might even wish for her to ask... but then again, maybe he didn't. Maybe the change of topic was a way to cover up a slip of the tongue, to gloss over a mistake and a plea for her to not pursue the subject. With a stranger she might not even have noticed such a cue, let alone cared about it, but Tembovu was a friend. If he was uncomfortable talking about something then Erthë didn't want to be a source of agony... but again, if he wanted to confide in someone she wanted nothing more than to be of help, of comfort to someone who had come to mean so much to her.

If only he could be more clear about which option she ought to pick. To ask, or not to ask? To prod, or leave the matters lie?  

Suppressing a sigh of frustration the lanky yearling stalled for time and focused her attention on the other things Tembovu revealed. Tilney's name came without a face at first, an expression of blank politeness reaching her face until the memory of a lantern and a welcoming group on the borders brought his features back to her.

"Ah, yes, Tilney. That's good, I'll have to remember to congratulate him next time" she commented. "What are the tent and the... drawbridge for?" The unfamiliar word lingered for a while on her tongue, a puzzled glance at Tembovu inquiring what the thing was, as well as what it did.

His comment about Mbwene brought a smile to her lips and Erthë glanced down at the little creature, eyes glittering upon noticing the gesturing trunk; the silent communication did not go by unnoticed. While left out on the more intricate parts of the interaction, she had grown up with such a bond close at hand. Vadim and Vlasi were two parts of a whole, completing the other in a way she had no words to describe. It was a beautiful thing to behold, this growing bond between companion souls, but it made her feel somewhat left out. A joke exchanged in a language unfamiliar to her, the knowing smiles of longtime friends behind her back; a sensation of being incomplete, broken.

It nettled her, even though she knew they weren't doing it on purpose, and whatever concerns she might have held towards the king's tender feelings vanished as Erthë began to walk towards the forest edge, guessing her seasoned comrade would fall in beside her and follow.

"Tell me about the 'not so good' things, Tembu" she said as she reached his side. "What happened, that you must atone and that caused such unease to spread?"  

Though her tone was even and the gaze steady as she regarded him, something about her made it clear she had little patience for riddles. In fact, happy as she was to be home and in the company of one she considered kin, the root and cause of her restlessness still remained, the barb that was the source of the initial itch. Anger and impatience came as easily as smiles lately, mercurial moods that swayed back and forth like seaweed in a tidal pool.

It wasn't Tembovu's fault, but he was the only one present at the time - so unfortunately he was the only one upon whom she could vent. Good thing he was a big boy; no doubt he would be able to shoulder the burden of frustrations from someone as small as she.

I tried to wrap it up but she has so many questions xD I'm all for placing the play-spar in birdsong, I can set up a thread later this week? I'm loathe to interrupt this one, we're finally getting to the juicy parts x3

@Tembovu

Tembovu & Mbwene
His great skull dipped once as recognition flashed across her youthful face with her comments about congratulating Tilney, “Indeed, you should,” he lowly murmured in agreement. But then his brows drew up as she further questioned him. Always, Tembovu could rely on Erthe to have questions. The pert, intelligent filly was forever seeking to know, understand, experience all that she could.

And the Elephant, if sometimes concerned for her safety (given the state of her legs), was glad for it. It had been a blessing, once stolen from him by flame, to see a child grow. And, after that day in the Threshold, he had been able to watch this young filly blossom into a pale pearl, opalescent in energy, excitement, and ability.

So, the King answered her questions as best as he could, “The tent will be a meeting place for the herd. Sheltered from wind and rain, it should be a useful meeting place. And a drawbridge is… it is a plank over water— or a moat at our boarders— that may be raised and lowered. The Edge’s borders need to be better protected, we’ve already had some intruders. Though, perhaps—“ he broke off thoughtfully for a moment, lips pursed, before continuing, “Do you remember the spikes you watched me craft so long ago? Perhaps those will span the Edge’s borders. And we will have a gate instead of a bridge.”

His explanation ended, and with it so did Mbwene’s attention. The calf wandered a short distance away (still in eyesight), trunk foraging through the new shrubs and old snow for snacks. Though her rummaging was halted as Tembovu fell instep with Erthe’s limping ones, following her into the forest. The calf squeaked in protest, before falling behind them in a trundling walk.

Though the King’s brows raised as more questions came from her soft foal-mouth. These were probing for knowledge— but personal knowledge, not information about the world or the Edge. His brow then knit, as his mind turned over the dark events that had occurred. What should he tell the filly? Did she need to know?

He shook his head— he wasn’t one to hide his shortcomings or faults. That wasn’t right or just. And hadn’t he, just moments before, stated he ’didn’t advocate keeping secrets’? He sighed to himself, before his muzzle parted and he abridged his failures, “I’ve followed my heart, my emotions, for a long time. Both in this life, and my life in Dorobo. And, as time has made things clearer, I realize that it often brings mistakes and darkness to me. In this darkness, I turned against Mauja and hurt him— which Alysanne, Evangeline, and Naerys witnessed…” he trailed off, maneuvering through trees on autopilot as his thoughts turned dark.

“But I have grown closer with Elsa, my Queen, because of it,” he didn’t mean to, but the possessive pronoun was endearingly said, “However, I still need to mend things with the others.” He finished quietly, Mbwene whining softly behind them as feelings of sadness and guilt billowed from the Elephant King.

@Erthë Since the moat is no longer happening, I brought up the spikes/gate!

Please tag Tembovu.