the Rift

Chilled to the bone (Closed)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
It was late, far too late for reasonable boys and girls to be stomping around in the dark. Midas had felt the dry caking of thirst lace his throat with reasonable request; it was what first woke him from a peaceful sleep. Body lay curled beneath a bare magnolia tree, one snowy wing cast over his sleeping son protectively. Blinking with intent of helping eyes adjust, he stared out into the empty shadows. Tongue ran across his molars with scarcely a drop of saliva to lead the way. Apparently it was easier for one to get dehydrated when nightly temperatures fell. Rising slowly, to avoid bumping into his sleeping cherub Midas carefully maneuvered away and tucked wings tightly against his body. A glittering collar of gold and silvery metals graced his neck, each inch a weighted burden upon his body.

Shoulder muscles and wing tendons were getting stronger with each passing day. He no longer strained against the weight of choice, but instead took pleasure in embracing the warmed metal. It pulsed with his heartbeat, ridding the same frequency of his mind and soul. Magic. A powerful entity he had only just begun to understand. It had awakened in him during the glorious victory with his kin at the moon race, when he had first witnessed the glorious goddess of their night sky. She had embraced his soul and opened fragments of his mortal mind to greater things. In that moment, possibilities opened to him.

Sand shifted beneath his feet, stretching away from his hooves. Frame turned, angling his intentions toward the frosty waters of his home. Breath trailed above skull, each step crunched a thin layer of frost that had formed overnight. Ice had formed along muddy water edge; this winter was turning out to be especially bitter. His knowledge expanded four winters now, and this was the first that had brought chilling cold to his winter pelt.

Familiar scents of fellow clan members lingered at the watering hole, yet upon approach he saw no others. Golden hooves squished in the soft earth as the weight of his bulk was accepted across the ground. Neck muscles flexed his front half forward at a bend to finalize his reasoning for being up so late.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Tamira Posts: 60
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
RayoDeSoleil

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I noticed was that it was late. Why I had awoken, I was not sure, but somewhere deep in my subconscious, nervousness stirred. My dreams never lingered for long, leaving behind only fleeting emotions and paranoia. Who knows what I say or do in my sleep? I shook my head, sending cream-colored locks flying; bracing my front legs in the sand, I lunged to my feet. Surprisingly, perhaps, this rather ungraceful movement was silent; none in my immediate vicinity moved. I did not often sleep lying down, as I preferred the easy flight of a standing nap, but on this chilly Frostfall night, lying down had proven slightly warmer. The sand had held the heat of the sun, and although it was not warm, neither was it cold. It had been welcomed when I first lowered my bodice to the grains, but with the disappearance of the daily orb, the warmth, too, had left.

Perhaps this was what had awoken me, along with a sudden assault of a winter wind. I shivered, suddenly awake. A blast of cold will do that to a fae. Now that I was awake, I looked around me, seeking another's company. Something about this cold night made me want a friend to spend it with. I knew that the morning hours would be easier, and somewhat warmer; however, I also knew that there were many long hours until dawn yet, and I could not quite shake my unease.

A movement at the edge of the watering hole caught my eye, and I found myself moving eagerly toward my herdmate. As I approached, I spotted familiar wings, ebony- and pearl-splotched body, and those telltale golden orbs. A smile crossed my maw. Midas. He had been very kind when he had first brought me to the Throat, and should he desire to stay up, he would be good company for what would otherwise be a lonely night. As I approached, I nickered softly; not enough to wake anyone else, but an easily heard sound nonetheless. It was more polite to alert him to my presence. Alongside him now, I dipped my own maw into the cool liquid, savoring the cold taste even as it sent shivers through my bodice once more. It was one thing to be outwardly cold, and another to let the chills inside. "I see I am not the only one who cannot sleep," I murmured, now stretching my neck to give a friendly nudge to my friend's shoulder.

[W/C | 423]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
At first he didn’t notice another presence enter the area. Neck remained flexed down, lips slurping almost greedily to drawn in the chilling liquid that he so thirsted for. Quiet hoof falls of a stranger pried for his attention—velvet core swiveled back to catch tones of familiar weight and pattern. Her musky essence drifted around ebony nostrils, enticing him to rise and greet her as sister.

Even before turning gaze to match senses with the face he expected, she nickered to him and then slid parallel to quench a physical need. Familiar hues of chocolate and soft flaxen caught his eye. Tamira The lass had been one of his more favored experiences with rouges. Maw lifted from the pool, whiskers still dripping with water. A laid back smile tugged at his lips, “Good morning,” he voiced softly, his eyes catching hers.

"I see I am not the only one who cannot sleep," the hints of a chuckle rumbled free from a squared chest. She reached out to greet him; the soft touch was welcomed and returned with him brushing lips across her forelock. Pulling away he responded with a smile in his voice, “I can rest longer when the true death comes to relieve me of duties,” glance was sent across her physical features to gauge her condition to their harsh climate, “Have you settled in alright?”

The concern for her well-being wasn’t surprising, he was a general now; and as such carried a pressing weight of others upon his shoulders. More so now that he had a son to think of. The golden lad could no longer seek solitude within the refuge of the canyons when responsibly grew too heavy to bear.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

It seemed like only yesterday that our kind general had brought me to this oasis, just in time for Frostfall and the chilly nights that accompanied it. At the same time, however, it seemed as though seasons had passed since I had last seen him. There had been so much to see in this strange new land, and so much to do, that I had spent the majority of my time wandering instead of making new friends. And then there was still the buried fear that the herd would cast me out after the next blackout. I hadn't had one yet, thank the gods, but that didn't mean that I wouldn't. I had gotten my hopes up before, but ultimately it was only a matter of time.

He nipped at my forelock, a friendly greeting, and I smiled; even in the dark, the expression would be visible to him. "I suppose I am settling in just fine," I replied, low tones pleasant and cheerful. "I have yet to seek out Onni, but I intend to in the near future. I hear she has been busy lately, and I don't wish to disturb her." It would be safer to discuss my future in the herd rather than my fear of a lack thereof. I would much rather my imagination be used to fill in my new life instead of coming up with ways I could ruin it.

[W/C | 236]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
”I suppose I am settling in just fine," an easy smile followed her simple remark, it made his heart glad that she was enjoying her time in a new home. "I have yet to seek out Onni, but I intend to in the near future. I hear she has been busy lately, and I don't wish to disturb her."

Midas nodded thoughtfully and replied, “A recent battle has robbed her of time and energy,” he trailed off in remembrance, a brief burrowing of a frown formed across his maw. In a flash the disturbance evaporated, and his usual pleasantry was firmly back in place.

Assuring now he added, “Over the next few suns her energy will return and hopefully with it the desire to train an aspiring student.” The golden father had no doubt that Onni would willingly offer her knowledge for the good of the herd. Besides, the more healers, the easier battle was for those that offered themselves as shields and daggers.

He took a step back from the frozen bank, golden feet clicking against solid permafrost. Curious gaze did her a once over, each curve and sliding mold of chocolate flesh lay open for his appraisal. She appeared healthy and well fed. Had Tamira not seemed fit for the ranks of healing, he might have suggested that the woman try for a warrior position.

Feathers tightened their furled position as another morning breeze threatened to leave chill bumps along his skin, “If you have any questions now or later, please know that I am open to listen and will answer to the best of my ability,” breathing out a smoky cloud of mist he added a question, “Have you been able to meet your family?”

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

I was not surprised to hear tell of a battle; whispers had, of course, been circulating since it had been fought. I was not one to condone violence, but I was glad to know that we had not lost any in the fighting. I had not even paid close attention to the reasons the invasion of another herd's home; had they done something bad? Or perhaps an outcast band had simply become power hungry? In any case, I was surprised that they had been so easily expelled, with no loss of life on the side of the invaders. I was glad to see that Midas seemed relatively unhurt, and just as kind and confident as ever. It was a welcome personality, and his was a friendship that I cherished, though it had only recently bloomed.

I smiled. "I do hope so," I told him in response to a comment regarding Onni's willingness to train me. As he assured me that I could ask him any question, my thoughts drifted to the secret that I still kept close. What would he say if I were to tell him of my affliction? Would he have an answer, a cure? Or would he regard me with the same horror as all the others have, then cast me out? It was a risk that I did not care to take, though in my heart I knew that I should. Someone would find out, sooner or later, and I was rather inclined to think it would be sooner. I hadn't had a blackout in days, which was rather unusual. It was a constant fear in the back of my mind, which is why it had emerged so easily now.

Another question. "I haven't been able to meet as many as I should," I admitted sheepishly. "I am not the most social of mares, I'm afraid. I'm rather shy." My lashes lowered over chocolate orbs as I studied the ground demurely. I knew that I should have introduced myself, been more outgoing. Surely the herd had seen me by now, but they hadn't gotten the chance to know me, which was my own fault, of course. But why should I get to know them, when I knew full well that they would banish me once I had a fit in the coming days. They would not stay away forever, and with the next one, I would surely not be allowed to stay... would I?

[W/C | 408]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
"I haven't been able to meet as many as I should," Midas turned gaze to her earthbound ones, aware that she couldn’t see his attentive nod though lowered lashes, "I am not the most social of mares, I'm afraid. I'm rather shy." Understanding mixed with pity took opportunity to soften his heart for honest company—she was such a sweet girl; easy to get along with, and as soft spoken as a spring rain.

Though, she was different from others, pure yet mature and not as naïve as air brained fillies who bore a likeness in attitude. Slowly he reacted out, muzzle extending to try and brush hot breath across a nearby shoulder with comforting intent, “Give it time, a promising spirit shouldn’t have any problems making friends.” Tone sought to lure her pretty eyes upward in hopes that she would note gentle reassurance.

After all, he mused said lass wasn’t alone anymore. He and all others would stand beside her, as a friend, as a family, and as a supporter. Flowers eventually surrendered strength to bloom, all they needed was enough time and care; she would be no different. Or so he reasoned.
Everyone would become more active when spring came again, people tended to draw inward among themselves as the temperatures took liberty to plunge.

Features brightened with new ideals forming in his conscience, Midas added wistfully, “When you start apprentice duties, folks will flock to you and request healings of cuts and scrapes,” smiling, “you’ll be so surrounded by needy people there won’t be time for the callings of a wall flower.” Working. That was his answer to everything. When emotions flung out of control, or anger tempted his spirit to be hateful. Duties were even his answer on matters of love.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

"...a promising spirit..."

Of course I heard all of his words, as it would be impolite for me to ignore what he had to say. And I enjoyed his company, much as I had when we had first met in the Threshold. There was a certain warmth that I felt when near him, a subtle feeling that spread out from my breast into my limbs, pleasant, but not overbearing. So I did not tune out all but those three words, but they were the ones that stood out to me. It shouldn't be hard to imagine why: my spirit is far from promising. Dark, perhaps; sinister, maybe. Not promising. I had never been promising. It was for this reason that I resisted the urge to laugh, though I could not help the small smile that graced my features.

My eyes raised to meet his, chocolate brown to brilliant gold. How dull I was in comparison to such a majestic steed. For not the first time, I found myself intensely jealous of those with wings, even those with horns, though I'd heard rumors that their kind was not particularly friendly to outsiders. I pushed the envy aside; there was no use in it. I could no more change my body than I could change my mind, as unfortunate as my fate may be. My gaze held his as he mentioned beginning work, and my smile softened, a true one now rather than a wry grimace. I wished that I had not let that brief emotion slip onto my features, but it was done now. Time to move on.

I hoped that once I started working, I was not too busy to find time to spend with my friend - I considered him a friend, perhaps the only one I had as of yet in this strange land. But a thought: what would I do when I blacked out? If they looked for me, and I had disappeared, what would happen then? So many conflicting emotions, so many conflicting thoughts. How in the world was I to muddle through this on my own? "I suppose you are right," I agreed. "Though I must ask: will I still have time to myself?" I offered to reason, no explanation, and I rather hoped that one would not be needed. It was too complicated to explain to myself, much less someone else.

[W/C | 397]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

"Though I must ask: will I still have time to myself?"

The creasing a small smile widened his lips further, “Yes,” male tones uttered gently, “Your schedule should have days off, and a good deal of downtime.” Midas had never noticed many folks getting sick to the point of needing medical attention, but then again he wasn’t a medic master by any means. Their harsher winter allowed elements to soften noses, so he often heard sniffles and coughs throughout the afternoon. Usually herd healers weren’t bothered with people who had minor ailments.

“To be honest, I actually know very little about the art of healing, Tamira,” he admitted plainly, though tone was still laced with that same softness that it always had, “I’ve never had to be nursed by one before.” Gaze shifted toward the glassy surface of water, “My talents and experience lay elsewhere.” He knew about fighting, patrolling, training, strategies…and…fathering? His soul had reserves on whether or not someone like him was a fit dad.

Seeing how his work took time from homelife.

On quiet evenings during patrols, Midas sometimes wondered if Cera would do better with another parent. One that could be near, closer to him and readily available for assistance; but the thought of losing Cera pulled his heart to the point of pain. He couldn’t leave the child in the hands of another, no more than he could strip off his wings. They were as thick as thieves, blood could never be as strong as the love of a parent.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

"To be honest, I actually know very little about the art of healing, Tamira. I’ve never had to be nursed by one before."

I smiled, and I knew that my expression mirrored his in softness. "You are lucky, then," I told him, my vocals sweet as I touched my muzzle to his shoulder. He was indeed lucky. He was strong, a natural leader, and skilled in the things he knew. I counted myself lucky to consider him my friend, perhaps my only true friend here. A thought occurred to me, and I added quickly, "Or perhaps just very skilled." After all, it couldn't be luck that he had jumped through the ranks to become a general. He must be very good at everything included in his position - though I knew very little of all that.

But I did find myself considering what all he would have to give up to retain his rank. After all, it would be very different from the life of a simple trainee, as I would surely become. I would be reliant on my senior, Onni, and perhaps some of the more advanced medics-in-training. But for Midas, he was that senior that everyone else would rely on. He was in charge, he was the problem solver. So what kind of free time would he have? Midnight meetings at the watering hole such as this? Freedom that only came when he lacked the ability to sleep? Perhaps not - after all, I hadn't been here long, so I supposed I hadn't seen all there was to see. But if that was his life, I admit, I didn't envy him at all.

Then again, he seemed content, or as content as any in that position. "It seems that our respective talents and skills will be rather complimentary, once I gain mine," I joked quietly, my eyes sparkling with fondness. My former confusion was gone, for now, as I forged onward in our conversation. Perhaps this was all I needed: a calming influence, one to reassure me, even if he didn't know the full truth. "But for now, I'm afraid that you are much more interesting than I." The smile was once again upon my maw, and it was a smile of camaraderie and friendship. I rather liked our General.

[W/C | 383]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
She spoke a little more, words offering flattery that were well-received. It wasn’t often that this lad obtained an honest pat on the back. Skull leaned toward her when breath scrapped his shoulder, tone basically saying, “You do well.” Hearing what to him seemed to be complements, an unexpected warmth fell over his soul; in that same note her trust caused stress.

Midas was a person that tried to think very little on the amount of weight that had fell upon broad shoulders, and of how family relied on choices he made. Tamira proved this ideal to be true, she thought highly of a man that knew little about her and she of him. It was for this reason he was pushed to overcome something feared, not over earthly things, like pain, starvation, and war; but the terror of failure.

The general was finding reason to be grateful for this; it was good that their friendship developed. The woman’s next statement rang true in his ears, "It seems that our respective talents and skills will be rather complimentary, once I gain mine," a mimicking humorous smile was her only response, but eyes seemed to beam tenderly, liquid golden softness melting bottomless pools,"But for now, I'm afraid that you are much more interesting than I."

The collar around his neck pulsed when mind turned to scattered thoughts of battle. He always prayed for wellbeing, but the time would come when body couldn’t be spared from the horrors that surely would come. People like Tamira would heal his physical self. Gazing outward he answered, “I pray that your talents go unneeded, though I doubt my vain prayers put you out of work.”

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The first reaches of dawn were becoming evident in the east. The stars were beginning to disappear, winking in the distance, fading until they were no more. The sky, a deep indigo in the west, faded across the half-globe to a dull grey, except for the very beginnings of gold on the horizon. Day was soon to break, and I hadn't had much sleep. Yet, I felt oddly rested. Our general had a very calming effect, or so it seemed to me. My chocolate orbs observed the changing scenery with serenity, then made their way back to Midas' face. I'm sure that the amount of peace emanating from me was similar to the waves of heat from my body in this cold Frostfall.

Despite this, his words saddened me. Why must the world be so obsessed with war and hatred? Why can't we simply agree to disagree? Why can't we get along? Why was a general a necessity? Why was my position-to-be so riddled with bloodshed rather than simple illnesses and birthing and the like? I shook my head. "The world is a backwards place, I fear," I murmured, almost to myself. And then, louder now: "I hope for a day when such talents as yours and mine are simply stories we tell to keep our children in line." A small smile at the thought of a family graced my lips. I had always wanted a family. But who would grant such a wish for me?

[W/C | 246]
[OOC | Ick. I'm so sorry.]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Why indeed was a general a necessity? He often pondered such inner thinking on his own, often thinking that it was a solo process in most points of sense. It was for the reason of war that he now wore a coat of armor. To better protect those that meant something, and even those that did not. Features continued to be pleasant, "The world is a backwards place, I fear," a nod seemed appropriate. A knowing look acknowledged her words, he didn’t need to speak for the blunt feelings of his own option to be made loud and clear.

"I hope for a day when such talents as yours and mine are simply stories we tell to keep our children in line."

“If only it was that easy,” he voiced at a whisper. If souls like them could birth a generation of kindness and modest ways, “I’m only a simple warrior, but—…” he turned to meet her gaze with plain expression, “I can’t think of a place I would rather defend from the horrors of this world, and if my life could mean something for this family; then it was well spent.” Meaning for existence was the emotion that drove everything else forward.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

I can't imagine the strength that it would take to fill Midas' hooves. His steadfast dedication to not only his own blood-family, but also to his herd-family, was truly a blessing, and one I'm not sure that others would give with the same fervor. I began to understand how the Qian had been able to drive the racist unicorns from their herdland (though I still could see no reason for it). And now, I could rest easy knowing that the painted stallion was watching over me, and the rest of us. I smiled at him, having no words, but simply the expression of agreement. "We are lucky to have you," I told him kindly. I was beginning to feel the effects of my sleepless night, and I could not stop the yawn that forced my jaws to open. Sheepishly, I glanced away; it was rude, where I came from, to allow yourself to do such things. "I should sleep, I suppose," I admitted with a slight smile. Yes, some sleep would be good, and then I could wander. That was the blessing I had for now; no job and so infinite ability to meander through the lands.

[W/C | 197]
[OOC | End it here, perhaps?]