the Rift

[OPEN] A Joke, Your Knight, or Your Brother

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

We could feel it wordlessly shift, slowly, until a morning came where the air blew fresh and fine, with only a hint of a chill. It rolled in all quiet-like on us—but me and Cheek, we were on red alert for that shift, that tick tick tock of springtime counting down on us. It didn’t sneak up on us; we were ready and waiting.

It was…early, way too early, when we decided to jet. Too early for anyone to be walking around casually except for a patrol here or there, and they were easily avoided (and I ain’t sure they were lookin’ for our asses too hard, either). It was quiet and calm with something balmy in the air, sweet, the scent of grass shoots pushing themselves from the dirt. The scent of new, shiny things to come. Of rebirth ‘n shit.

It was the first time in a long while that I strapped Sparkmarrow to me—and at once, I felt a familiar buzz that ran through the harness and the metal of the sheathed blade, reminding me of a thing that I missed without realizing I was missing it. I dunno man; it just didn’t seem right to walk around a stranger’s home, trampling on their kindness, with a sword at my side that was ready and willing for a fight. It would’ve been rude, unseemly. So, for my stay here, I had kept Sparkmarrow buried somewhere safe (and lonely), keeping myself bare and vulnerable, a peace offering.

But nah, I was done with that. It was time to hit the road, jack, and I was feeling a freeing thing from Chico as he fluttered above me, a huge, flapping owl scouting the area before me with powerful eyes. He was certainly glad to be going, and I can’t blame him. We were used to a certain kind of freedom than the Edge couldn't allow us, and it wasn’t her fault, not really, but walls are walls are walls and even though the land inside of it is big as hell, you still know you’ll eventually hit a wall (or a Cliffside, whatever, it still counts). It felt good to break free finally, to shy away from the awkward, precarious nature of our guesthood (What was cool for us to do? What was pushing it?).

What we didn’t anticipate was the heavy feeling from us, in both our hearts (Chico less so than I). He was lamenting (vaguely) over leaving his new friends behind, in the form of that lil’ elephant shortstack he adored, all those girls who just loved loved loved to offer him snuggles. As for me, well—it was a little bit harder for me to swallow. Leaving like this, before the sun even broke, without so much as a goodbye to Tembovu, a thanks again, bro, I sure do appreciate it. To be fair, I’m not sure if I could’ve done it face-to-face anyway. I fucking hate goodbyes, and besides, it ain’t like I wasn’t gonna see him again, right? It’s so weird—not too long before, I hated the Edge. But now they could probably call on my help for some shit. Ain’t life weird like that?

(Time flows, it never stops, and things get caught up in the current—)

There were other things that hit a little closer to home that really hurt me, eating at me, making my swallows go down hard and bitter. But there was no use crying over it (even though I wanted to, oh god, I really, really wanted to—) I had come here looking for Ma; she wasn’t here; Tembovu had given me until Birdsong to stay, get my thoughts straight, get out of the cold. Birdsong was here now; a whole season had passed with just me squatting in a garden, looking over a cliff at the mist beyond and wondering what it meant. Waiting for someone to show up; looking for a way to walk up to them and ask, how’re you doing?

I had no more excuses.

Time to go

image credits

For @Mauja please

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
Something hung in the early morning air.

As intangible as the filaments of mist, tendrils of fate (curses) sweeping through a mortal world; as soft as a hushed heartbeat, pulsing in time with something

(She was a lightning crack through the bones of the world.)

And he.. he was dust and death, shadows, blood, seeping softly into sand and fading; sun-bleached. He was nothing; he had become that which he had always been called—wraith. He could leave, now. He could leave this place, go to ground, hide in the dead lands by Helovia's coast, and in a decade, a century, a millennium, he could return to this place. Come back to haunt. Ghost. The smile curling his dark lips was bitter and broken, like his frostbitten heart. Had he burned his bridges here? He didn't know—he had kept on running dainty circles, dissipating like so much smoke each time someone came near.

Coward.

And fool

How could he have been so stupid? What grand, damnable notion had struck him on that night? Fucking moon-blinked, thinking he was somehow—somehow special, important, but not quite, more like, he could do something useful for once

The grandeur of it had ensnared his dreamer's heart. To be a shepherd of this world, an ageless, eternal protector, a shield: but what had he done?

He had begged his best friend to kill him.

Like, faux-kill him because he couldn't fucking die anymore.

What had he been thinking? That all of a sudden dark monsters would spring from the earth and he would charge into them, a spear of light in the darkness, a ray of moon-shine to keep his precious mortals safe? Had he, for one fucking moment, believed that the Moon was offering him salvation through eternity, a purpose for his aimless, miserable, wandering self? Had he honestly believed that?

(No.)

But it had offered him hope: a chance, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not in a week, a season, a year... But a chance somewhere down the line to hunt down the scattered pieces of his lost heart and become whole again. Happy. Sighing bitterly, he glanced at the mossy, fog-strewn ground. She had had nothing to do with it; he had damned himself. He had chosen this. No one had forced him.

(Though, ironically, the other option had frightened him; it would've put pressure on him to father more children, breed forth a new generation of blessed misery, and he was not that young anymore—)

Had he truly chosen immortality out of fear of pressuring himself into sex again?

Perhaps.

The world works in mysterious ways. Moon had claimed to only have the best interest of Helovia at heart—so where the fuck did that put him? Maybe that was where he had fooled himself, felt needed again—

Someone was coming. Someone was coming too fast, too close; he was tired beyond measure, barely sleeping, barely eating, gaunt and fragile and drawn. Too lost in the spring hanging in the early morning air he had been taken unaware, tripped, caught in the noose which had been slowly closing on his throat. He didn't even know if Tembovu had (forgiven) him. And he was too afraid to find out, but his mind spat out things like witch-hunt

But it was Elding coming out of the trees, heading for the border, and Mauja was almost straight in her path.

It almost seemed as if he had been waiting for her.

[ @Roskuld ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

Well fuck a duck. I can’t even act like I was shocked.

If I were younger I would’ve called it magic. Just think—the very moment I decide to let it all go, to move on, to get off my ass and go forward—that’s when he decides to stand in my way, teasing me with the implication that he might be the destination.

Cheek saw him first, of course—I mean, he was flying right in front of me, wasn’t he? I knew the moment Chico saw that pale speckled pelt cuz he wasn’t mentally prepared to hide it from me, and I’m not sure if he was gonna hide it anyway. It was a mark of how much older he was, how much more mature, that he didn’t immediately go looking for those super cool owls he had always looked up to; nah, what he did was zip down to the ground, zpsnk!, and suddenly he was be-maned and be-fanged and be-winged and all other types of shit, bedazzled to all fuck. A short sentinel but a sentinel nonetheless, standing, watching Lee and catching the stick across his back and a bag hanging at his side, standing and watching and waiting for me to catch up. Like…a sentinel (I said that already, right?)

Protecting me, I realize. From what, I’m not really sure. He was good at hiding that from me.

(Sick of nightmares.)

My breath caught when I saw him in my inner eye, and I hadn’t meant to do it, but there it was, my breath stopping and my heart pounding all that much faster, my insides pouring molten something. Warmth. It was warm. I wasn’t sure if it was the good warm either.

(Joy? Panic? What am I supposed to do—)

There was a part of me—a huge one, a really distinct one with a lot of clout—that wanted to turn-tail and run for it. But that didn’t make sense cuz I was trying to leave the Edge, dammit, and the way out was this way, not behind me. I’m not even sure why I wanted to run so bad—isn’t this what I wanted in the first place? (The very first place, I mean, the place I was hiding with the lie about seeing my Ma—)

And then there was the possibility of—hey why not just go around him? Casually snip that warm red thread between us out of sheer fear of something vague, like his identity (I don’t know a Mow-ya). This notion didn’t have as much pull, purely because I wasn’t sure if I had the balls to do something so shitty. I’m still not sure why I wanted to run.

I came up on him way too fast; I saw his white silhouette but I couldn’t stop myself from going forward. There was no reason to. I had every right to walk this way, dammit, there was no reason for me to stop just because he was there, I had places to go, shit.

But I did stop.

Sure enough, there was that stick up there on his back, the same one he had tried to give to Tembovu (and some crazy jealous part of me wondered: Is he gonna give it to me, next?) (Kinda sexual) (Shut up) There was that bag, too, that Chico had seen on him, a bag I don’t remember him having, all this shit hanging off of giving the idea that he had packed up all his worldly possessions (time to hit the road, jack). And there he was, too, just as big as I remembered, just as blue-eyed and sad--but he was thinner and scruffy and sad sad sad that pulled at him from all four corners, a sad I wasn’t surprised to see, even though it hurt to look at. His daughter had died; he had been a wreck way before that, years before that, and then his daughter had died. The most shocking thing is that he was still standing, looking at me.

I don’t know what my face was like cuz my brain had froze up on me; maybe my eyes were wide, and maybe they were shining with stuff, but I don’t know what kind of stuff, good or bad or whatever. “Hey,” slipped out of me like the wind knocked out my lungs—shocked, because I hadn’t expected him to be here; glad, cuz my heart had been breaking from his absence; pained, cuz it was still breaking anyway, after seeing him like this. Ruined, ruined. (Hmph, like I ever knew him any other way.)

What do I say to him?

Hey, but I already said that.

My name is Ros, because I wanted to meet him, finally.

Why didn’t you tell me you had a family? cuz there was still this green, hurt nasty thing in me that refused to tuck away its ugly head once and for all.

It always boils down to this: my speechlessness in front of him, cuz I only know how to speak the truth and I don’t always know what it is at the moment. All I can do is open my maw and let it spill and figure it out like everyone else. So that’s what I did. I opened my mouth, and out came the tiny, hesitant, glad, pained truth.

“I missed you.”  

image credits

Ascended Helovian

Grafin bein grotna í jörðunni,
eins og leyndarmálin þín
sem þú hélst forðum burt frá mér.
En blóðið þyngr´en þögnin er.

He came first, and don't ask how Mauja knew who it was; he just knew. There was just something, a hint of a scent, the curling of the fog, the sick pounding of his heart and the tail-end of a thought fed to his brain by other owls, and then it wasn't even an owl anymore. It was this .. thing, standing on four sturdy legs, built like a tiny gray tank, and the only thing that was out of place was his really blue scorpion's tail. Really, he thought, muddled, you couldn't have picked a more inconspicuous color?

But then again, when had the damned creature itself ever been inconspicuous? Mauja (Irma) remembered the tiny form caught in sharp, feather-padded talons, its heartbeat a wicked rhythm pounding against her careful, damning grip, and the elation she had smelled on him, and his grin, and staring at the lion-esque guard standing stubbornly before him it suddenly made all the sense in the world that his tail was fucking blue.

Like my eyes.

What the hell did that have to do with anything?

He was off-balance even before he saw her, his heart lurching with the meaningless realization the had the same eye color as Chico's tail—like, the fuck did that have to do with anything?

But still it made his heart stampede and world spin and he actually staggered sideways for a moment, threatening to topple over—

Slowly, he righted himself; slowly, he pulled himself together, splayed legs coming in neatly beneath him, wild-eyed head rising high upon the proud arch of his neck.

By virtue of his blood he was graceful; by virtue of his heart he was a (man) broken.

“Hey,” she said, and with his heart still attempting to choke him he marveled at the vastness of the world—far up in the northlands of his home, who knew what happened? What did his brother do? Had the fragile peace broken, or had they kept their words and hopes, striving for a better, unified tomorrow? And here, in Helovia, somewhere in this misty, godforsaken forest Tembovu lurked, with stars knew which questions buried like glass shards in his lungs, and far, far away lay Gaucho and the Throat, with the tall Dragon's Blood tree spreading its branches skyward, mourning the forest which had once stood there with it—

And in this small, insignificant corner of the world—

—they met again, at last. And his heart was doing all sorts of back-flips and excuses, snatches of conversation (—memories) blurring with the silence of reality as he stared at her.

(She had touched him, in the north, bringing him home.)

She had run, when Hototo had died, and he had run after her, and witnessed the helpless fury of her grief.

He could've screamed the sky down that day on the beach, but it wouldn't have helped. Too jaded, he had kept his.. what do you even call it, when you realize something you hold dear is taken from you? It had not yet had the chance to grow into mourning, it was simply—frustration, anger, the sheer impotence of your own meaningless existence in that moment enough to drive you mad (because no matter how much you screamed, how much you loved, it made no difference).

“I missed you.”

How long had he been staring at her in silence, tracing vague parallels between their lives? Minutes? Hours? Lifetimes?

The words were hammerstrokes falling upon the nails of guilt.

Wasn't that how it always went? I missed you— (Where were you, where were you, where were you...) Would he have to weld himself to someone's side in order for them to not miss him and greet him like he'd not been away three years or ignored them on purpose?

(But maybe, this time, she's not accusing you of something—)

It was almost surprising that ice didn't flake off of his form as he began to move, a sluggish, drunken amble, bringing him closer with no regard for the manticore; perhaps, in some distant corner of his mind, he attempted to brush it aside and not merely trample it, but he wasn't sure.

"I missed you too," he said, breathed, tear-blurred eyes closing as he made to fling his head over her back and hold her.

Svikin orð, grjót í kjafti þér,
rista dýpra en nokkur sár.
Brotin bönd aldrei verða söm.
Lygar eins og nöðrubit.

[ @Roskuld ]

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

Chico remembered the last time he had seen Lee, how he had been so excited to show him to me cuz he had wanted me to be happy finally. What I didn’t realize is that he had also remembered how that plot had backfired on him, immediately and completely, how he had almost fallen to his own death because of the blast of pain I had gotten from Lee, learning how he had been a part of a war that had needlessly torn apart so many lives (not too many). He was standing there now, watching Lee, seeing the drunken stumble and feeling the flutter in my own breast and torn between it all. Cuz he didn’t want me feeling that pain again (No more nightmares). He didn’t want me to break like that again. (No more nightmares, dammit).

But Lee was coming towards me, and Cheek had to move anyway cuz you bet your sweet ass I wasn’t just gonna let Lee shamble his way towards me like that, alone. I was meeting him halfway.

Be safe.

It was automatic and thoughtless; Lee was reaching for me and I was reaching for him, stretching my neck across his wither and getting a face-full of stick and not even caring cuz I couldn’t care cuz here was Leos, finally finally finally, and here was his bulk and his smell and his fur against my own and his voice ringing in my skull (I missed you too—) and he was grabbing me and I was grabbing him just as hard, holding him as close to me as my short ass would allow cuz here he was with a heart still beating—

--and something was breaking out of me, a weak sort of gasping laughter that didn’t make sense at first. Maybe it was just happiness—or relief, a disbelieving sort of relief that catches you off guard, a glimmer that shouldn’t have been there cuz you were so sure the world was so dark. I missed you. “Yeah?” I asked, breathless, but it was muffed against his coat cuz that’s where I wanted to be right now, “Well, here I am.” Here’s where I wanna be.

The worst part about it all was how heartbreaking it actually was: here I was, right about to leave, right about to blow this kickstand cuz I felt too out of place to try and knit myself into it. An outsider, an interloper. I was finally seeing Leos on the cusp of my departure, and it was not a moment too late—but what did these things even matter when I was trying to jet out of here anyway in the next few moments? I was seeing him just in time to say goodbye. How thoughtful.

It was a weird contrast; on one shoulder hung Sparkmarrow, bright and heavy and cold, glittering in the dying moonlight even though the magic itself wasn’t running through the blade; something deadly but still with purpose, an anchor to the whole universe around us, cuz it was born of Papa and bathed in the blood of evil things and I was going to have to fight all of them, huh. But on my other shoulder—on my other shoulder was something (someone) so much warmer and heavier, something fragile that was so much different than the seemingly indestructible strength of Pa’s sword, someone I wanted with a surprising selfishness I didn’t know I even had—and here we were alone, just us, just me and him and fuck the rest of the universe for a second, just fuck off right now, I don’t give a shit, cuz we were here and we were huggin’ and I had missed him and he had missed me.

And he still didn't know my name.

My muscles relaxed underneath him and I got comfortable in his embrace; I breathed out once, slowly, and the knots in my stomach unraveled and there was a warm feeling in my stomach that offered itself hesitantly, and I understood that it was peace. A small, precarious peace—but it was there for a moment, if only for a moment. “How they treating you here?” I asked it softly, my voice delicate as it twisted amongst the sharp, brittle spikes of him, he who was made of ice, who was covered in it from his menacing horn to his blue blue blue eyes to his frosted hooves—he who could snap and crumble just as easily. Lee. (Or Mow-ya).

image credits

Ascended Helovian

Something felt odd. Weird. Wrong. (False.) Detached.

He felt like he was watching a moment between strangers, an interloper on the scene of a reunion between (—what?)—a puppet mimicking the normalcy of life.

Pretending to be fucking normal when the truth, the truth he held so close to his heart, was that he hadn't had the sense to miss her.

(Until now, until she was here, and he realized how long he'd stumbled through the darkness, and then the breath rolling down his neck smelled familiarly of guilt—)

Mauja missed people in the abstract. He remembered them at odd times, thinking fondly of moments shared and futures lost, and his heart hurt a little, and perhaps he wept in the lonesome darkness, but then it fell back beneath the surface and he forgot again. And it went on.. and on.. and on. He missed Psyche, but how often did he think about her? He missed d'Artagnan, but now that he was out of the throes of his grief and hurt, how many thoughts did he spent on that cherry red bay? And let's not talk about Kahlua

The words were spoken, too loud to take back, too dangerous to contradict, but they left ashes in his mouth and he couldn't spit them out.

'I missed you too' was what any normal person would've said, but she deserved more than that—she deserved truth, and the truth was simple: I care about you a fuck-ton but I didn't actually miss you yet.

But how do you say that to someone holding you with such genuine affection and warmth that you're close to melting (heat-cracks, pressure-cracks, ice blowing apart—) in their embrace? Her (when had it become so difficult to think of her as female?) short, stout body pressed close to his, shoulder to shoulder, awkward in their different proportions, neck warm against his withers, heart heavy beneath his head; he had a responsibility here, to protect, to shield, from harm. Even if that meant being silent about his slip of the tongue; the truth was rather arbitrary when the words had simply tried to convey some sort of 'I care about you, too'-esque feeling. It was just.. semantics.

(A feeling like lying.)

"Mmh," he breathed in response, guilty eyes closing. Gods, she was so warm, so.. safe in some way; she fucking held him and it was nearly enough to make his knees buckle and crash him to the distant forest floor. This was—

It wasn't the tip of a horn rupturing his heart, but it was damn near the same.

Maybe he shouldn't have asked Tembovu to kill him.
Maybe he should've asked him to hug him.

Too fucking late

He was sure his head became thrice as heavy across her broad back, the muddled confusion and her question a weight he did not want to bear—thoughts he did not want to think. He had no clarity. He was lost in some.. fucking gray fog, somewhere, running around like a blind mule and he guessed the only thing he might do was trip and fall off the edge of the world, or something.

"Well," he began to say, but came up short. How were they treating him here? There was a certain memory, a certain thread of envy, of bitter resentment, curling through his existence; the memory of that Aji on the meeting, of ranks handed out, of .. Mauja's eyes clenched shut harder. "Well enough," he finally said. It wasn't their fault; they had no obligations to fix him. They.. they.. he was just some old, dusty relic of the past, a mistake someone had made.

Yeah. Just a mistake. Just a—

He didn't notice until it was too late, and by then he was already halfway to the ground.

[ @Roskuld - he's just kinda collapsing at the end xD ]

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

”Well….well enough.”

Well enough, hm? I got that feeling myself, actually, how Tembovu had welcomed me in the Edge, letting me laze about and lay around and freeload until the season turned (and I swear it was turning, I swear it was, it was the right time for it, wasn’t it, the right time, it was time to go—) And all that kindness still wasn't enough to keep me here.

My breath was coming out in little flutters, weak things, because I was using the bulk of my body to prepare for the Thing. The Goodbye. The thing I was too chickenshit to give to Tembovu but somehow I was racking up the courage to give it to Lee right here. Was it because he was here and I couldn’t just book it out of there? Was it because he was Lee?

I mean, it ain’t like I was trying to find a reason to say goodbye at all. There was just that nagging part of my mind (that snoring, farting, smelly asshole part of my mind) (Ye it me) that was telling me there was nothing else I could do, no other choices I could make. Except yeah actually I had all the choice in the world (people loved to tell me that) but there was one that I was sticking to goddammit and that was the choice to leave, to keep moving forward and onward even though they were only taking care of him well enough.

So I sucked in my breath for a deeper sigh, because all my mental and physical was prepped and all I needed were the words. “So,” I started, and I was gonna blow everything: my name, his name, what I was thinking, where I was going, and whether or not oh shit  oh shit the bastard was falling—

Like his weight was just crashing down and his neck was all over me and my shoulders were gripped and Sparkmarrow’s point dug into my shoulder (that’s a metaphor too and I still don’t understand them shits—

—and there was a soft growl behind me but I didn’t hear it cuz I was muttering Shitshitshitshitshit in a persistent hiss, all of Lee’s body and weight (and warmth) pressing down on me, pulling us both to the ground.

I didn’t make it down there with him, though. It would’ve happened if I was younger, maybe, but my legs were stockier and my breast was heavier and he was still falling but my neck was groaning and popping trying to keep him on his feet and I failed that shit but I stopped the crash, anyway. He was just lowered, softly, carefully onto the frosted grass that forgot it was supposed to be spring already.

And Chico switched forms on me while I wasn’t looking, flapping up to a tree bough on the large, heavy wings of an owl, while I looked down on Lee there on the ground with a sore neck and wide, concerned eyes. What happened? What’s wrong?”

image credits

Ascended Helovian

And that was that—a cascade of sparks, a fortress tumbling down, glaciers crashing into the sea to send up a spray of water as the secrets tumbled into the deep (—like blood soaking into sand).

His vision was split into darkness and her (but she was dark, too, looming above him like a warped memory of something—), and for some reason, his mind whispered 'sunshine'. But there was no sunshine, just a morning too early to be bright, and a seeping sense of heartache—as if the roots deep below him fell apart and with them, the world. Black rot at the heart of everything.

And her eyes—

He frowned as they seemed to spit sparks in his vision, pulsing drunkenly to the throb of his heartbeat. Her eyes had always been weird, sort of.. inverted, in a way that wasn't normal. Brown around the edges, spark-blue in the middle; as if she needed a sign hanging around her neck saying 'my pedigree is more impressive than yours'.

She didn't need anything. She was (Roskuld) lightning and fury and a sort of fumbling, bashful love, and it didn't matter how unique her body was. Her father was an asshole anyway. She was so much more than him.

A highly biased opinion coming from someone half-unconscious on the forest floor, but hey. Spark had had his chances and thrown them all away—

His freewheeling mind was brought up short against the solid walls of her voice, his far-flying psyche fetched back by the tangibility of a question: of words forming a cage for his mind to scuttle about. “What happened? What’s wrong?” And, in a somewhat absurd fashion, his mouth opened and began to shape the words: "I'm fine."

Except—he wasn't.

Everything he had ever tried to be had landed him here: fallen by her feet, spitting out the same old lie. I'm fine. I'm perfect. I can do anything. I am the machine you want. I am the heartless killer. I am the pinnacle of evolution.

(I am the vanguard of your destruction.)

A broken, smoking ruins, concrete pillars blasted apart and the stumbling mess of his bloodied heart suspended between them, pulsating like a creature dying.

"I'm not fine," he was saying instead, voice dribbling out between his dark lips as his neck struggled to lift his heavy head. He was barely aware of himself; the furthest reaches of his body were dim, lost in the fog somewhere. Wild-eyed, he stared at her. "I keep saying but it's never true, I've never been fine—" What the hell am I even talking about..?

[ Well fuck you tag, @Roskuld || Uh I have no idea what I'm doing, k. ]

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

We’ve been here before and it was weird, because it was even the same season almost. Down to the blistering cold and the still-black sky, the still-twinkling stars, it was the same details, the same setting—the same set up, almost, Leos hitting the ground, me on my feet and poised to do something about it. Except now we weren’t talking about a war he had fought in on the wrong side. (But maybe we were, I dunno, I’m just as lost here—)

It looked like he was—fluttering. Not on the outside, no, outside he was just as solid as he ever was, as large and buff and white, so blindingly white like ljós a light someone refuses to turn off, so that it burns, burns, burns itself into the ground. I was talking about his eyes and the way they looked at me so steadily, even though the words were pouring out of his mouth in a rush, in a terrified rush, like his whole insides were shaking and shaking and shaking and shaking and shaking and—

I took a breath. I counted in my head all the way to ten so I knew I was taking enough of it in. I was back to this point, like time and fate itself had given me a chance to change my actions, to do it over again because before I had grabbed his mane and that was the absolute wrong thing to do. I couldn’t help it at the time—I was mad, I was rough, I’m always rough. I was rough right now, having to count to ten to make sure my actions were just right, that I was sure enough, gentle enough, careful enough to do what I needed to do, offer what I could.

I didn’t know if it was what he needed, though. And I never knew that, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever know. I know what he is, or I guess what he isn’t, and that was “fine” (—I've never been fine—). And I remember when the roles were reversed, when I was on the ground and the frost was actually broken shards of crystal and he was standing where I was now and I was very very super not fine and I remembered what he did for me then, at least. And he was old enough, sure enough, calm enough and careful to do the thing I was gonna try doing now. It had worked for me and that’s all I know. I’m not sure if I’m wrong for that, if I’m selfish for thinking that way.

I’m not fine, he was saying to me, with eyes and teeth and heart.

“I know,” I said back to him—really, really small coming out of my mouth, because it’s not a thing you can afford to fumble.

I’m short and I’m smaller than him but I knelt down next to him anyway, like he had done with me. He had been this…solid thing, a shield from something crashing down on me or a bonding agent to keep me from blasting apart again, from losing myself in a black hole beneath me that was gonna end up threatening me daily and nightly. So that’s what I was trying to do; I laid down next to him , shoulder to shoulder, neck to neck, and I gripped him with my head and held him down, close to something warm, keeping him tethered to himself at least, even if I didn’t have the heart to keep him tied to the earth. I’m not sure if I could be that cruel.

And I thought back to Tembovu and the conversation we had, about what I was to Lee, about…about all those others, the sea of them, everyone who had a claim on Lee’s heart and how I hated it and how terrified I was of drowning, suffocating under those waves that surrounded him. Here I was, the only warm soul for miles trying to comfort my friend—and it wasn’t pride I was feeling in my actions. It wasn’t the smugness I had been feeling not too long ago, the relief that, now, it was just us for a second. It wasn’t arrogance that was driving me to this—it wasn’t anything driving me to the ground, nothing at all, because to walk away would be a thing against every single piece of me and that was a power I didn’t have. Not yet. Not now.

image credits

Ascended Helovian

Truth was difficult. Truth was unlearning twelve years of bad habits and shot-down, broken and burnt dreams. Truth was listening to the erratic spikes of pain pouring from his pulse.

Truth was accepting that he was lost: in this world, in his past, in himself. Truth was accepting that which he had forced upon her by the Rotunda: I do not exist. Truth was forcing it upon her again, until she, too, would accept it and understand it, that—

(“Your heart’s still beating.”)

It wasn't even stampeding through his chest anymore; it was just pulsing a little, struggling weakly against the black tide of darkness scourging his soul. A wounded thing struggling in the jaws of its inevitable fate—a ceaseless, endless struggle, for he would never find rest.

A curse he had brought upon himself. A curse wrapped in sweet promises (made by no one) and dreams and shiny silver gift-wrap papers, and riding high on the idea of a purpose he'd stumbled headfirst into. Swallowed it. Sink, bait, hook, line. Heart and soul, he was owned, and the only thing he saw when he stared ahead was darkness. Limitless, fathomless, infinite. A guardian, he had thought, but of what? He'd fought all his wars on the wrong side.

A ghost, he thought now, one blue eye staring vacantly up. It seemed an eternity ago that Sarazheha had looked at him and said Honesty, brother. And where had that honesty gotten him?

Nowhere, nowhere, nowhere. What was the meaning of peace? Why did he exist at all? Had he ever been anything but this, a broken vessel aspiring for things it could not be?

“I know,” she said.

Twelve years of untruth. Twelve years of chasing ghosts and sealing up his heart. Twelve years of pretense. Twelve years (—I have a heart)—

He knew that he had a heart. It was raw and rugged, had scratched his chest until it bled from within, and now it had given up. His heart wasn't the problem, not anymore, not compared to that wave of darkness rising higher and higher above his head (—like a noose, tightening). The problem was that the years had scraped away and scraped away and scraped away until the thick walls around his heart were bloodstained with the splatters of his dying heart, and the weight of the world had snapped the framework around his mind. Mauja the Frostheart—Bane of the Plague—had died, but without that persona, without those well-known habits and ways of speaking, thinking, acting, interacting, Mauja the What The Fuck Am I had no idea how to exist.

And perhaps that was why he gravitated towards familiar things—bitterness and hate, anger and violence. Grief and shame and guilt.

She laid down next to him.

She, who had found a myriad pieces of him throughout the years, and put them together; but what did she see?

What moved her to lay next to him? What moved her to remain with him? What did he give her?

What had caused so many to follow him, so blindly, so willingly? What had inspired, ensnared, enchanted? Wherever he went—and yet she was the only one here, now. She was the warmth against his back, the weight across his neck, pushing the fragments of his heart a little closer to one another, so the blood didn't have quite such a way to fall.

She was life. (He was death.)
She was hope. (He was defeat.)

He was tired beyond the point of feeling: he was numb, as if the snow had worked its way through his fur into his skin, settled like frost in his marrow. "Once," he began to say, his voice too level, too calm, too dead, "there was a man known as Mauja the Frostheart. He was King of the World's Edge half a lifetime ago. His kingdom was built upon arrogance, his vision steeped in blood, and his story built upon much the same. He was three years old."

Because Mauja had been six—but that Mauja had not existed until that night when he was three and it was just a mess how he'd come to become what he'd been.

"He began to die three years later. A year after that, he was all but destroyed—and yet he remains, like a skin I can't slough off."

Weakly, his head rose, one blue eye swirling to focus on Roskuld. What had he done to deserve her? (What had he done to miss out on how to share?) How much did he know of her; how little did she know of him? "Without him, I do not know how to be," he finally whispered, an edge of fear in his voice; an edge of white around his eyes. His breath smoked into the still-cold air, and his head fell back down into the snow.

A perfect grave for the one who is frozen.

[ I'm a scrub and I literally have no idea what I just wrote @Roskuld ]

Roskuld & Zchiraxicon

He spoke to me; I let him speak. I knew what it felt like to have words, ideas, buried so deeply inside it felt like agony to finally dig them up and find a way to spew them from your mouth. The way he was speaking, the narrative he was stitching together in my head (the math he was trying to make me do—just how old was this guy?) felt like cold, cold chips of ice spitting from his lips, cold and frozen like the rest of him—like he wanted to be, I guess, because a cold thing is a numb thing, and it sounded like there were lots of painful wounds on the inside that hadn’t quite healed over, that needed that little numbing agent to make it easier to open your eyes the next morning.

I had a taste of that, myself. And I call it a taste because it wasn’t a thing that I had been grappling with as long as Lee certainly had. My tragedies, in hindsight, were few compared to whatever he had stacked up against him—and I was beginning to accept them, and let my demons sleep with me instead of spending sleepless nights trying to fend them off. I had stopped fighting a while ago. But I wasn’t sure, in that moment, if that means I had been defeated.

I laid there and listened to him (He began to die three years later. A year after that, he was all but destroyed—and yet he remains, like a skin I can't slough off—) and I kept breathing cuz I wanted my heart to keep pumping, to keep myself warm, to keep him warm because even though cold can keep you from drowning in your own terror, it was still gonna make you sick. I breathed in his scent evenly and took in the cadence of his voice and I wondered to myself—

Without him, I do not know how to be.

—I wondered, what could I say to him? Should I even say anything, at all? Who was I to offer advice, especially as I laid there in his shadow? Was I still some kid fumbling blindly, trying to find my own way in the world—or had I grown into something beyond that, and was it okay for me to feel that way? Would I be arrogant to think I had grown at all? In the eyes of my Pa, wasn’t I still just an infant?

(But I’ll always be an infant anyway, that wasn’t even an argument there, I was trapped in the perpetual state of babyhood—)

The stars were beginning to melt a little bit, just a little, as the sky seemed to think about shifting into daytime. We both laid there and our breathing made a steam around us and I let it float around and above as I realized there was a question forming in the back of my throat. I hesitated—was it wisdom? Was it impudence? If I stuttered would I ruin the moment? I opened my mouth and I let it out as small as I could: “Do you want to be without him?”

image credits

Ascended Helovian

It trembled.

His pulse was a shiver going through aching veins—just a flutter forcing blood around. Some heat slipping just beneath his skin, trying to keep a glacier warm.

But they just don't melt, not even with her life pressed against his back. And he wondered, if there was fire burning deep in the bedrock, a roaring furnace somewhere below a hundred feet of ice and a hundred feet of stone. He had a heart, because he could feel it beating (trembling). He had a heart, but what if it was empty? Shriveled up, dead and black? What if he was what he had been called—Frostheart? Maybe it had died in the long winter which had reigned in his soul, frostbitten beyond all recognition—beyond all salvation.

(All hope—)

Could you fill a cold, dead thing up with life and have it be the same as when it had truly lived? (Cold, wild nights under distant stars, a fire in his soul, easy laughter in his throat.) Or was it once dead, always dead? (All those stars reflected in his bluer eyes.)

Their sky was breathing dawn-air, a chill hanging in the shadows like the stubborn winter, and with a warm body pressed against his back and that foreign sky easing up a little above him—

He whispered to his heart, 'Isir is dead'.

And he could make that list a whole lot longer. There were many things he had not forgiven himself for.

“Do you want to be without him?” Mauja's eyes closed. He almost seemed peaceful, bathed in the gentle starlight and dappled with shadows from the evergreen trees. The lines and planes of his face were smooth, his forelock strewn with haphazard elegance against the cold ground. He could've been asleep—could've fallen into some witch's spell and would sleep (a nightmare) for a hundred years, until some unfortunate soul found him and kissed him, freeing him from his tomb of ice.

Her voice lingered like a memory in his mind, a jumbled mess asking all the right questions but supplying no answers. And, deeper, as his tired heart began to remember something of strength, he wanted to shake it off—say, enough about me, what about you?. Turn away from the messy spikes going through his heart, turn a blind eye. Weren't they merely house decoration, anyway, with how long they had been buried in there? He was used to them.

But try running with a heart full of sharp shards.

It doesn't work very well.

"He was charming," Mauja said after a moment. He still felt numb in a way that had nothing to do with lying on his side on snow. "He was supremely confident, but cautious, unwilling to come off as a narcissistic asshole. And somehow, he commanded loyalty." Strange, to think that that driven, blood-thirsty King had been him—that these two vastly different souls had inhabited the same body. (And on the tail end of that, Gods, I was so stupid, whispered with a groan and swallowed with shame, guilt.) "He was easy, always in control, always so sure, steadfast like a mountain—no doubts, no quarter given, no mercy, just an iron sword going straight for your heart," he was whispering now, summoning the ghost of himself, "but ultimately, he was a fucking idiot."

Mauja's eyelids had gone from peacefully closed to a littler tighter, a little tauter. It was a rowdy ghost lost somewhere, still vindictive, still bitter, full of fury. "He was balanced enough, but at his core, he was hateful, and arrogant. He wasn't a brute who relished violence, but he was disciplined, skillful, detached..." His eyes opened again; one staring at snow, the other at the sky. "When there is peace, I am restless. When I am not drowning in duty—a role—I am drowning in anxiety and frustration. It's like I don't know how to exist without an ulterior motive and something to hate."

And he laughed, bitterly.

[ @Roskuld ]