the Rift

[PRIVATE] children of the wild

Sabre Posts: 21
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 3 years
Cutlass :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Reli
show me how defenseless you really are.
“She’s asleep!”

I whisper excitedly, my eyes snapping between brother and the silhouetted mass of Ma’s silent figure. It’s well into dusk by now, the trees’ shadows stretching long and stark across the ground, still patched with snow from winter, while the sun’s waning rays filter through the boughs in hazy shafts of light. A beam falls across part of my face. I can feel its gentle heat as it highlights the yellow glow of my eyes, alight with the adrenaline that has already begun to seep into my blood. My skin prickles with the impending sense of trouble, of recklessness, and I nearly lose myself to the deliciously naughty excitement.

But I can’t give ourselves away, not now—not when we have come so close to freedom. All the same, I wouldn’t be myself without at least a little bit of foolish unruliness, now would I? I just can’t help myself. Looking to brother, I let slip a sly grin, the mischief threading into every line of my macabre-marked face. “I’ll race you,” a dare is set heavily into my hushed voice, and my smile deepens, “Just don’t wake her.” I gesture to Ma, thrilled by the danger and recklessness of the challenge.

I am sure that brother will cooperate; I know he can’t resist a dare like this, not when his pride is pushed and prodded. Oh, what fun we will have tonight! I raise a brow, widening my stance and wiggling my butt tauntingly. Come play with me, my eyes say to him, and I am sure that I won’t be disappointed.

And then I’m off!—little hooves thrusting me forward with a throaty grunt, cold dirt and grass flying up in my wake. Young and lanky muscles bunch beneath my skin, pulling and pushing me forward. My hooves stomp against the frozen ground—I am anything but graceful—and I lower my head as I charge, ears slicking back against the crest of my neck. So focused am I on the brunt of my stride, that I nearly run myself straight into a tree! Without agility on my side, I throw myself sideways, growling when my hip grazes the rough bark.

I’m pretty sure I can hear brother at this point, but I can’t see him—is he behind me? Beside me? Did that little bastard manage to get in front of me? Tossing my head with an overly dramatic a fearsome snort, I charge forward with a burst of strength. I may love him or whatever, but I definitely don’t want his haughty butt rubbing his victory in my face!

notes; SO EXCITED!!!<3
“Speech.”
You’re so cold,
but you feel alive—
lay your hand on me one last time.
@Kid @Violet @Caine | image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

[Image: pixel_i__sabre_by_xxcloudscollide_d9z9zr...9zbmnl.gif]
please tag Sabre in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
our kingdom come
"No really? I thought she was just resting her eyes."

I whisper back, looking at Mother's resting body to confirm that she was actually sleeping before turning my head to Sabre and dropping an ear to show my lack of amusement even as I spoke sarcastically. My mellow expression looks even more so next to Sabre, who's absolutely buzzing with adrenaline even before we escaped Mother's territory. Even though she made no signs of showing it, I could feel the excitement wafting from her and featured in her animated expressions.

And with the coy smile sliding along her lips, I know she has a plan in mind. So I perk up my ears half heartedly, curious as to what she could offer that could make our escape more interesting— more entertaining. She delivers. A race, where to I don't even know— but it's entirely more appealing than simply running casually to wherever we wanted to go. "It's fine, she sleeps like a fucking rock." This wasn't entirely true, for some nights the only noise I made was hushed breathes as I tiptoed carefully from our home and still Mother rose to her full height and the panic settled in my gut.

I still had nightmares and phantom aches from that night, when Mother was at her worst and my body had bled more than it ever had before— when months worth of tears had spilled flawlessly from my eyes and I sought refuge in the embrace of a stranger. I hadn't told Sabre about it, ashamed of my actions (crying— the unicorn) and scared that her success would waver if she knew the true extent of Mother's rage. So my lips were sealed and the secret hidden where none but I will find it.

Before I can ask to where we're racing, Sabre signals her own start and takes off. Bubblegum eyes narrow in frustration, legs in action as I strain to catch up to her. I want to complain that it was no fair that she got a head start— but I shut up because as I've begun to learn, life isn't fair. So I run, grinning at the advantage I had. My body was smaller, streamlined and fit for short runs (for the first time ever, thanks Mother). I run with my hind legs constantly bunching and releasing, the muscle building up in my thighs springing me forward and landing me at Sabre's side.

I waste no breath in shouting challenges at her, although a cheek to cheek grin has manifested upon my skeletal features as I run beside her. My little legs are trembling from the exercise, sweat beading my bare brow as I softly giggle. I set my plan in place, eyeing Sabre wickedly. My hind quarters tense, lips moving as I silently count down until launch. 3, my eyes lock onto the targeted area. 2, my body shifts for the perfect angle. 1, all the tension in my hind quarters releases and my body launches into the air, left shoulder pushed out in an attempt to catch Sabre and take advantage of her disorientation. I tilt my head away from her, hoping to save at least my face from any retaliation.

Now I run, determined to prove to Sabre that Mother was wrong— that I was not weak.

"Talk."
Kid & Sabre
image credits

made by reli

tag me in everything