the Rift

[PRIVATE] Won't Get Away so Easy

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Throughout the rest of the meeting, Alysanne knew what she would be doing afterward. With the healer business cleared up - earning her a few more heavy looks from their great and powerful king - there was nothing else to do aside from address the other looks she had been getting - the ones from her sister. They were significantly more important, anyway, whatever Tembovu thought of himself. Her sister could see right through her, no matter how Alysanne tried to master her face and get those emotions under control. Iona always knew.

Before, there hadn’t really been much to know so it was pretty easy - Alysanne had been a happy, loving soul and was free with her thoughts because they reflected those ideals.

Not anymore.

The rest of the herd started to dissipate and before turning to Iona, Alysanne reached to tug gently on Naerys’s mane where the girl was curled up beneath her wing. She was hesitant to disturb the girl but she needed to for now. “Go get warm, dear. I’ve just go to talk to your aunt a bit.” She nudged at her daughter affectionately, surprised every day with just how big she was growing.

Waiting until Naerys was gone, her smile faded but did not disappear completely as she turned to Iona. “No chance I’ll be able to just slip away too, right?” But even as she joked, the smile faded as their matching green eyes met. She didn’t even know where to begin but perhaps Iona would be able to guide her. She trusted her sister to be able to do that and she suspected that she wouldn't have to wait long.

happy is the heart that still feels pain
darkness drains and light will come again
image credits

@Iona, set right after the herd meeting :D
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

"I'd rather die my way than live yours."

Iona was proud of herself for keeping her attention focused on the meeting when she knew something was going on with Alysanne.  She had no idea what it was, but the tension was rolling off her sister in waves.  Even though she had her own business to attend to, or rather to simply state had already been attended to since sneak meetings were better had in secret, she found that she was watching her sister’s reactions with a well-practiced eye. 

Obviously she had been negligent in her sisterly duties, because standing next to her wasn’t her happy, complacent sister.  And Iona couldn’t tell if this was a positive change in her sister, or if her twin was being pulled back into the shadows that they had been chasing the pair since they had fled the cursed lands of Nocturne.  Regardless, she was determined to get to the bottom of what was clearly unsettling her sister.

She watched as Naerys’ departed for the warmth of the trees, smiling at the girl that had so quickly earned a place in the painted mare’s heart.  There was nothing she wouldn’t do for the girl and Naerys’ seemed to be equal parts Aly and equal parts Iona in personality.  What a dangerous combination. She thought to herself.  The darker of the sisters waited to see if Aly would volunteer anything, but only the shadow of a joke escaped the gentler of the two sisters. “Not unless you want me to follow you.  You should know by now I’d follow you to the ends of the earth, Aly.  I followed you here – to the literal Edge of the earth – how much further would you have me go?” It was said in jest, but she was deathly serious too.  The humor faded from her gaze as she searched Aly’s eyes for answers.

“What’s going on Aly?  You don’t seem like yourself…and you can start by telling me what’s wrong with your wing.” She offered, nodding to the appendage that her sister held ever so much more carefully than the other. 

-- I O N A --

tags: @Alysanne
quote: lauren oliver
image credit

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne ignored the instructions to start with her wing, the rest felt more important to her. Her green eyes filled with a glossy shine as tears and her weakness boiled over and she was unable to contain it any longer. “I don’t know what’s happening to me, Iona.” She whispered in despair, knowing that if there was anyone she could share these private thoughts with, it was her sister. “I’m angry so often. It’s…” And here Alysanne cast a look around to make sure that they were without company, without ears that might catch the traitorous words that were going to spill from her. “Tembovu. I don’t trust him, and certainly not as a king.”

This was the first time she was saying it out loud to anyone aside from Tembovu himself and she hoped her sister would have a more favourable reaction. “He burned Mauja. The skin…” She couldn’t bring herself to describe the terrible sights, sounds, and smells of that night. “He was so lucky that Evangeline, Tandavi, and I were all in the area. Naerys saw it too...” She never would have wished the horror that was magma-burned flesh upon anyone, especially her young daughter who saw it burning the body of one of her friends.  

The fear that had been the drive for her anger now was laid bare before her sister and she ducked her head slightly as the tears began to well over and fall. But she would not try to hide them from Iona - they had been through so much together and so much apart and she wouldn’t waste a moment trying to dodge tears.

“He’s dangerous, he could burn down this entire forest if he wanted to, burn all of us with it, and there’s nothing I can do to stop him. He acts like a benevolent king but he’s not.” She wanted so desperately for someone to believe her, to tell her that this wasn’t all in her head. Tembovu acted as though she were the crazy one when they had gotten into an argument and she feared that he was right. But surely the sickening twist of her stomach whenever she looked at him meant something. It was a warning. The peaceful herd she had fallen in love with was fracturing all around her and it felt like no one else seemed to notice or care. “I’m afraid that when you followed me here we traded demons for monsters, Iona. And I don’t know how to fix it.”

And then, finally, Alysanne explained about her wing - shifting it slightly as though expecting it to be better but the sprain still caused a wince to crease her dark face. “We fought, I got into a spar with him and pulled the muscles in my wing. Before I knew what a monster he was. It was a mistake - I thought I was ready to learn how to defend our home but I’m not. I can't do anything.” She had seized up in fear partway through the spar, as soon as she had drawn the first bit of blood from him.

image credits

@Iona that was a ridiculously easy reply to pop out
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

"I'd rather die my way than live yours."

Iona stood stock still as she listened to her sister.  It hurt to see the unshed tears fill her sister’s eyes, but Iona didn’t move to comfort here.  Not yet at least.  Because these weren’t normal tears, and she felt like Alysanne needed to process things through before she could actually be of any help to her sister.  Alysanne needed to feel not protect.  Iona stood firm so as to silently reassure her sister that the tears, the uncertainty, all of it was okay.  Her heart twisted and lurched uncomfortably as Alysanne spoke, but Iona stood, stoic.

Iona let out a soft sigh and took a step closer to Alysanne, lowering both her head and her voice. “Aly,” she said, gently. “Is this really about Tembovu?”  On a normal day, Iona would have teased her sister – raised an eyebrow and prodded her for details.  But today there was no jest or accusation.  Just a gentle question. And the questions continued.

“Do you truly believe he would burn down this forest and everyone in it with absolutely no regard for life at all? Because I have a hard time believing that.”   Iona had formed her own judgments of the elephant king.  She knew what magic was capable of.  She knew that it was a battle for some to control themselves under its influence.  Tembovu was someone she was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, even though she hadn’t seen the grisly scene Alysanne had witnessed.  She had a hard time believing it was done out of sheer malice. “Anger, however. That’s something that I can understand. That’s something I’ve been dealing with my entire life.” She paused, before explaining what she meant.

”You’re allowed to be angry, Alysanne.  You’re allowed to distrust people. You’re allowed to be skeptical of the intentions of those around you. You’re allowed to be angry with Tembovu for what happened!  But you aren’t allowed to torment yourself for having these feelings! I don’t think you’ve been angry for more than a fleeting moment in your whole life and it’s about damn time.  But own the feeling, don’t deflect it on to other people.  It will eat you alive if you do.”  Uncharacteristically, Iona’s voice never rose, and she took another step closer to her sister, reaching out to touch her twin’s shoulder.

“There are monsters everywhere, Aly.  There always have been, there always will be. That doesn’t mean you have to live your life any differently.  There’s no such thing as a perfect place.  Is this place better than Nocturne? You bet your ass it is. And regardless of whether or not you trust Tembovu’s ability to control himself and lead the Edge, that doesn’t mean this is a place worth forsaking.  There are worse things out there to worry about than the failings of one man. You’ve poured yourself into this place, you’d really all give it up?”  She waited another beat before some of Iona’s inner fire swept back through her bones. 

“And don’t tell me you don’t know how to do anything, Alysanne. Don’t do that. Don’t belittle yourself. You have abilities others don’t and you know it.  So battling is particularly your thing? So what.  If an injured soldier came to you, you’d be able to return them to battle.  How’s that not defending our home?” There was more passion in Iona’s voice now, but still no irritation.  She just wished that Aly would see what she saw – a capable woman serving her home as best she could. 

-- I O N A --

tags: @Alysanne 
quote: lauren oliver
image credit

i thought i posted this a million years ago ;-;

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

The question from Iona surprised Alysanne, enough that it actually shocked her brain into thinking it over for the first time. Was it even about Tembovu? First it had been Mauja, his close relationship to her daughter, and then her anger had even been directed at Naerys - the growing girl who could never stay still for too long and made (what she still considered to be) some questionable friendship choices. And then Tembovu had given her an excuse to be angry that outweighed both of them.

“Well maybe.” Was her petulant answer to the question of whether she really believed Tembovu would burn down this forest. Given even provocation, she was certain it could happen. Perhaps not with no regard for the life within the forest - she imagined he’d feel incredibly guilty afterward while they were all condemned to fiery graves. He had almost lost control during their conversation, what if something more serious happened?

But she didn’t explain all of that to Iona, as her sister tried to explain how it was okay to be angry.

And she knew that Iona meant what she was saying because her voice didn’t raise in annoyance or anger - she spoke passionately, trying to alleviate Alysanne’s fears - and the soft touch to her shoulder further encouraged the doctor to crumble. She shut her eyes against the tears welling there as she listened, as Iona explained things that Alysanne was ashamed of losing site of - that Helovia was so much better than Nocturne, where they had faced actual demons.

It was true, all of what she was saying was true, but these hadn’t been things Alysanne had been able to riddle out for herself lately. She needed this - needed Iona there to reassure her.

“No, I’m not ready to give it up.” She managed to breathe out a response to that question, at least.

How do I stop it from eating me alive, Iona? I feel like I’m drowning in my anger until it explodes, bringing pieces of me along with it. I don’t know how to just move on when someone provokes it when I went most of my life without this terrible emotion.” It was only getting worse as time went on - building up for years before this conversation, the first time she was allowing herself to actually address the issue. And, of course, she was only doing it now because Iona was forcing her to. “How do you manage it? How does everyone live with this fire eating at them?”

“No, I’m not useless. My profession… I wait to clean up the injuries after and do what I can so they can continue fighting. But I want to stop the fighting before it begins, Iona.”
Her sad green eyes met with her sister’s as she tried to sort out what was going on in her mind and heart so that they might both understand. “A few years ago, the herd that used to live here decided they weren’t safe with the Moon Goddess anymore and they invaded the Falls. I had seen a few spars before that but that was war. I remember freezing up as soon as I entered after the soldiers because I couldn’t believe the ferocity that my brethren were attacking those that were unsuspecting. I healed both sides during it because I was so ashamed of what my herd mates were doing, pushing out another herd because they no longer cared for their home instead of just asking to be a part of it - because some headstrong stallions wanted to keep their titles as king.” Her wings rustled in anger just at the thought but she shook her head with a snort and banished thoughts of them. “I stayed behind because I couldn’t condone what was done and because the Edge was - is - my home. I never want to see war fall on these lands again. And I thought… if I could fight, maybe I would be able to stop it somehow before it began again. Maybe they’d listen to me while I tried to stop it if I wasn’t just a healer.” A soft sigh served as her final punctuation, feeling foolish about these thoughts now that she was speaking them out loud and explaining them to someone. Hemlock did what he could and soothed what he could but the first bond Alysanne had ever formed was with Iona and if there was anyone that could help her through this, it was her other half.

image credits

@Iona <3 here's a novel for when you get back and need something to read
made by the lovely tamme