the Rift

[OPEN] Any Kind of Beauty

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

"When do you start becoming beautiful, Manhattan?" I whisper into the silent warmth of the day.

In the distance, some faint birdcall that comes from seemingly nowhere twitters in useless reply. I step closer to the water, stare out over its mirror, and trace faint lines in the wet sand with a heavy forehoof.

I'm not particularly aware of the fact that I am what some, perhaps my mother were she still present, would call handsome. I have not felt the warmth of touch, and so without point of comparison I cannot understand the silk of my own coat. I see little outside my own world, hear little of myself from others, and so I pay no mind to the silvery sheen that crawls up my sides. There is beauty in my reflection--in the fire of my liquid gold eyes, in the watery sheen of my dapples, and my mother's mark impressed upon my brow. But I'm not capable of seeing it yet.

The day is limpid and warm. My stance is awkward, my carriage practiced to avoid the pain impressed upon my by my spine. I screw my eyes and look out into the distance, wondering there the bird call could have come from. Out there, in the endless reflection of the Halycon flats, there are no birds. There is only clarity, the distant memory of pain brought to life, and the sun.

I turn away, feeling confronted by the stark view that stretches out before me, and look back into the woods that lurk behind. Is that where the sound came from? It's certainly where I came from. I was born in shadow and wood, it was simply in the harsh and unavoidable light that I became who I am now: injured, isolated, and positively beautiful.

I have practiced silence so long
and cannot find a reason to break its embrace now.
milo

image | coding

@Vu, and open! Milo is pretty much just standing around being pretty.

Vu Posts: 28
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 3 (Orangemoon)
Istina

The loss of a life can be quite painful, the sensation of an unfathomable chasm forming inside your soul, heart, mind, your entire being. It shakes even the most steadfast, the dauntless and the brave upon their first encounter with death’s angel. The lives of those they held close gone in a forever dance of wind and leaves. But what of those who lose another not through the inescapable claws of death, but in that they are abandoned? My loved ones have always left and only one by death where it is no choice of their own to leave. All others chose to depart down a path where there can be no conclusion, no reprieve from the heartache of their absence save time.

Azure eyes turn away from the stark glimmers of a winter ocean, blinking slowly to clear invisible sand. Too often in my short life I have been alone without sufficient time and space to express my grief and heal. In all outward appearance, to prying eyes and ears, I am the embodiment of serenity; elegance. Three rules govern all I do and say. Change does not come easy. Who am I lying to? The rules are all I have. Though with the reappearance of my brother, the soul I have been chasing for more months than I care to admit, perhaps my gain will at last best my loss. My gaze leaves the frosted sands following an unseen trail back to the gray-blue water; hope glimmering ever so slightly in the corners.

Features wrapped in a mask of forever neutrality I further tally, erase and re-tally the two columns in my mind. My focus breaks for a moment as past thoughts shift back to the present and I think on an offer made not four days ago; a home. The silvered unicorn, Ciceron, offered both my brother and I a place to call home, Hidden Falls. I admit for a fleeting moment I nearly jumped and screamed, “YES” and then I remembered what a home would mean. I have never been in a herd or had much in the way of family. The prospect of answering to another is disconcerting after being my own master and keeper for the majority of my life…but what truly frightens me is another strike in the category of loss. A visible shudder passes over an otherwise still frame as the wind blows past, bellowing a feeling to echo my own. Quickly all is smothered but I know I cannot leave either Ciceron or Rift without an answer for long.

I turn to begin the trek back to the forest that will lead me to where I last spied Rift, absentmindedly spraying bouts of sand in effort to cheer myself. The sun reflecting off a surface other than the sand and shallow water draws cerulean eyes to the form of a young male and I silently debate. Perhaps, I should… Before I can finish my own thought charcoal legs move to stand closer to this stranger. Never one for unnecessary speeches, I part my lips and softly speak, “Hello.” I place myself to where I can see his face, oceanic eyes peering into sun-kissed ones.

"speech"

OOC:  Vu is just standing around being weird. xD

@Milo

-All magic and force are permitted barring serious injury and/or death-
-Powerplay outside of fighting is permitted-
-Please tag in all replies-

Outcast
Jen

She is dark, but not like my father. She stands out in the day even more than I do; no part of her is faded, no part of her dappled like the sea. There's something in the simplicity of her design that appeals to me--something that doesn't immediately put me on the defense.

I greet her hello with the closest I can get to one. As she draws close enough to look in my eyes, and look she does, I turn to do the same. Her blue is one just as deep as my gold--just as deep as the water I once swam across to the end of my best friend.

It is only now, for the first time, that I wonder what would have happened if I'd only stayed at home. It's another stab of regret, another moment of introspection, I remember that my continued existence is not worth the end of hers.

The exhale I have been holding releases, moving towards her when everything else is still. My velvet ears fall back then forward, taking in the sound of her voice. It's so different from Aquila's or my father's, but I can't entirely explain why even in the echoing silence of my own head.

Absently, haunted by old memories that I cannot shake, I step closer to offer her my nose to touch. She's not much bigger than I, despite the fact that she seems a few years older. I don't linger long before moving closer to the water, the hitch in my spine an obvious hindrance as I take even a few careful steps. The water draws me in, sucking at the one fore-hoof I place within its reach. Somehow, I can't decide if I find the endless expanse of the sea to be threatening or welcoming.

milo

image | coding

(Woohoo! Excited. :) Would you mind changing the font or background on your table though? I'm finding the color of the font hard to pick out against the black D: Also no need to tag me, just shoot me a message on skype.)

Outcast
Istina

Cerulean eyes watch him with far less caution than any other may receive. He is young but remains what I can only assume to be pensively quiet. His features do not give much away for my inspection but his eyes, like most I have encountered here, seem distracted. I, however, am no expert on body language and quickly my thoughts press onward...or rather inward. Would anyone be disappointed to know that I have met many in my travels but remain friend to none? Perhaps Rift but the mere mention of my brother sends me into a mental recoil; uneager to dwell on the subject that brought me to these flats.

The exhalation of the unknown colt draws my attention blissfully back to the present and my mask drops a fraction as blackened lips curl slightly upward in gratitude for something he cannot understand. Surprisingly I hardly notice the slip in my façade but it becomes apparent as he shifts closer with his muzzle extended. It is only a return greeting, you have done this before. The rules, no laws, drilled into my youth force me to remain unmasked and I hesitantly reach out and softly touch his dappled nose.

Almost immediately after what is a grand achievement on my part (how different I am now versus when I was his age), he moves off, his uneven gait drawing my gaze as he walks. Indifference reigns on my face once more as I suspect pity will gain no ground with the silent boy. Perhaps empathy? I am unfortunately familiar with the unfairness life seeks to destroy and maim with; an ugly weapon indeed. The call of a bird nearby lightens my features morphing the mask into happiness as cerulean eyes dart around before resting on the soaring creature not far from shore. Charcoal hooves carry me forward to stand at his right should he allow it, all the while wondering if perhaps his silence is his way of politely stating he would rather be alone.

"speech"

OOC: Sure thing, is this one better? <3

Outcast
Jen

Her touch is a stinging ripple--the unfamiliar buzz of affection, so long unfelt in my young body. When was it that my father last touched me? When was it that he last touched me with kindness? And my mother, now gone, what of her? She has abandoned me and I've done what I can do accept that, but I can't deny how good it feels to just be touched again.

Vaguely, I wonder if that's why even the cold hurt of Aquila's teeth on my spine was a comfort. To just be touched, regardless of how...

I think of how the water touches me, sweeter than the wind and more loving than any other that I've known. The water is kind and forgiving. The water always stays, never draws further from me than it does at low tide. If nothing else, I know the water will always be there.

When the dark mare comes to my side with a sort of smile, I struggle to make the own expression play out on my features. Funny to think, but when have I last smiled? Surely, it must have been before Manhattan died.

I push the thought away and step further into the water, forcing myself to move slowly so I don't strain myself, until its level reaches half-way up my side. It laps rhythmically and I sigh softly before turning back to the mare--beckoning her with a soft whinny. It's the only thing I can do to tell her that it's ok to come closer.

For once, today, I want the company.

milo

image | coding

Much better, thank you! <3

Outcast
Istina

Watching the sea, counting the waves, am I still the same?

His soft call pleases these ears more than I thought possible, the idea of his silent rejection playing a song of chaos in my mind until the sound reached me. Despite my ever present loneliness I have only been rejected a handful times during my youth (though by my family)and I do not think I would care to experience it again. Cerulean eyes wander toward the sea as blackened legs move into the swirling mass of water, content to remain in silence for a moment or two longer.

Building castles out of the sand to be washed away

I push against the soft waves until coming even with him, the quiet atmosphere nearly as soothing as the gentle caress of the water against skin. Glancing to the right I look the colt over briefly, an unknown instinct taking over to ensure his safety before resuming my stare into the nothingness at the horizon. Where did that come from? I have never experienced a surge of maternal instinct before and having only reached adulthood this past Orangemoon I admit I am taken aback. I have heard of others who are almost immediately drawn into the notion of motherhood while I continuously pushed the thought back…my constant travels taking the entirety of my conscious thought.

Singing our song, whispers to the wind, will you hear me dear?

Inked head shakes and clear eyes remain locked onto the distant form of another gull. Quietly, I break the comfortable silence, “I cannot decide if I find it peaceful here, can you?” I offer him a slight upturn of lips, my expression more open than usual but guarded. Azure eyes seek his sunray’s gaze as my mind begins to wonder if his reticent nature is through no fault of his own, a birth defect, or perhaps something more? Regardless, for as long as he wishes my company I will give it; having no desire to face my own demons the decision is remarkably easy. The previously tilting of my lips deepens as I wait to see what the rest of today will bring.

Wish you give a look, a moment on this shore, while footprints are still here

"speech"

OOC: I'm sorry it took me so long x.x Also, I'm sorry it kind of fizzled out at the end. <3

Outcast
Jen

I can't deny the fact that I'm a little surprised when she follows me further into the water. I'm suddenly more uncomfortable than I expected to be as the waters part for her the same way that they did for me. Had I thought I was special? No, that can't be. Save for my unique perspective on sorrow, my deeper understanding of things, and my grasp on language, I do not believe that I am special. So I could not have thought that the water would only welcome me, that in calling her forward I was guiding her to an unfamiliar territory that would resist her and try to fight her away.

So why, now, am I so surprised that the water parts easily? She appears to be as invited as I am into the embrace of this bright sea, and I feel a twinge of jealousy.

But when she speaks, asking me a question I cannot (or will not) answer, I am returned to my confidence. She cannot decide if it is peaceful here because, as smoothly as she may intrude, she is not as intimately acquainted with this world as I am. I was here when this land was born, or at least into helovia. I was wounded here. I was brought into a curious being, cradled into the arms of a life of pain, and I have lived it ever since. While she wonders I know, and with that knowledge I feel suddenly untouchable.

It's superiority, but I neither expect it or admit it. I only exhale a soft, chuffing neigh, offer her a quick look, and then gesture out to the wide, reflective waters. How could she not know how peaceful the mirrored threat of death here is?

milo

image | coding

@Vu sorry for the delay