the Rift

[PRIVATE] Darkravun [Isopia Wit Contest for God's Blood]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Rain.

It's been a while, so when it falls the hunter is pleased to meet it again. To feel it. To really, truly, remember it. The night hides it from his vision but he can hear it everywhere, falling on and breaking the thin layers of ice that cover the falls' lakes. Everything is beautiful on nights like this--everything except the past. But Knox has company to come, and so he treats the night as if it is just like any other. He will get through it, he must.

He walks the woods as his father. It is a rare form to take, one with glittering gold eyes and dripping red on its cheeks. It is the most immediate ghost. The ancestor has hung the prized vial on its chain over a spindly branch that reaches out in the dark, either seeking comfort or distancing itself from the world around it.

When he thinks he hears a rustling in the wood he doesn't take a moment to consider whether or not he should stay quiet.

"A chuyuld I once knew, he dreamed uf yuh, darkravun..." Roanne's heavy accent cuts through the rain, causing a hush in nature's pattering buzz. "I wus a burd once too..."

What use are your memories now, old man? Knox thinks dejectedly. He has heard Roanne's stories of flying through the air on wide, dark eagle's wings. He has heard of swimming through the river as an otter, no, swimming down into the very depths of the sea to greet a monster. Silverline (or was it another?) above on the shore, a monster below, all of Isilme before him...

Quiet. These are not your glory days any longer. You are only a ghost, permitted to walk by my graciousness.

And though Roanne knows his son is wrong, he has too much graciousness to correct him. He only borrows the clarity, but not sound, of his son's voice to recite the beauty of a riddle, and continues through the rain.

"Oh translate me Arabaidd!
If not for your bright mask I'd have lost you in this blood moon night,
Are you sure that you have always been alone?
Perhaps your pushy humor has isolated some."

""

@Isopia, you have 48 hours to make your guess and post your own mock stealth! The target might be anyone in the Hidden Falls (regardless of absence) except Isopia or Knox. So as not to mix IC and OOC knowledge, your IC comment can be anything but as far as IC goes, Knox's stealth isn't about anyone and Isopia might not know who, even if it were (otherwise options would be too limited!) Your guess should be made in an OOC comment. If you want pmed comments on yours/explanations of how I did mine, let me know in the bottom of your post. When making your guess, make it like in the real stealth boards with backup clues.

Knox Stealth: 1/3
Knox Points: 0
Item: Vial of Tiger God Blood

Point chart:
+1 for correctly guessing a stealth
-.5 for guessing late
-1 for making a stealth that was too difficult to guess

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia

Isopia does not have to wait long but then .... she didn't expect to.

The creature before her is large and dark - almost as large as she was in her regular form - with eyes that almost mirrored her own. Though the golden depths of his spoke of infinity and unfathomable depths, while hers were mere pools of constant thought.

The words he speaks mean nothing to her, but the sound of his voice is like a velvet fog over her senses, and for perhaps the first time in her life, she recognizes the feeling of liking it. She likes the ancient, gated way that he speaks, and so instead of calling attention to the missed meaning of his introduction, she merely lets him continue.

I wus a burd once too..

"No longer?" She inquires, almost sadly, despite the fact that sadness is not an emotion that she is well acquainted with. Still, her voice hints at some loss or lack, but there is no judgement there. 

She feels the need to ruffle her wings but quiets her senses and her body submits.

He is speaking again now - this time a riddle - and the cadence of his voice nearly causes her body to sway to its meter, but this too the girl forbids. Her sentinel posture is not meant to be a comment on their interaction, moreso merely a continual test of her own will over her body.

As he finishes, his words inspire an immediate response, and without pausing to think, the girl opens her beak to return the refrain: 

"Half dotty, half crusader;
loyal 
& yet you left two to seek out one.
I won't look down on you for that,
so long as you don't fault me for my wings."

Image Credits

Isopia guesses EZITAL

Oh translate me Arabaidd!
Arabaidd is a welsh word meaning "Arab". Ezital is an Arab x Welsh

If not for your bright mask I'd have lost you in this blood moon night,
Bright white facial marking. Also red eye markings

Are you sure that you have always been alone?
From his profile, ... and he's been on his own for as long as he can remember.

Perhaps your pushy humor has isolated some.
He's described as forceful and sassy, with a childish temperament.

DID I DO IT RIGHT

Isopia Stealth: 1/3
Isopia Points: /

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

Jen

Her question is almost innocent. Knox tries only halfheartedly to delve into the the memories he has of the mare. Zsoka is struggling to make sense of her more than the others. Is it hate or affection? He has two memories, intermingled, and neither seem as if they could ever be real. Then again, does anything?

"Yus, but no longur. Maguc doesn't last forevur," Roanne says sagely as Knox turns away from his father in his mind.

You are wrong, father. Here, it lasts forever. This is not your land. Knox hisses with self importance and misplaced dignity. Surely his magic will never leave him, and didn't it only leave Roanne in death? Does Roanne really not know he is dead?

No, he must, he must know... if he didn't, would he ever yield to Knox again? The hunter swallows at the thought, and on the exterior of his being his father's gold eyes dart to the side, as if looking for something in the woods. It isn't fear, exactly, but it's hesitation--maybe not the sort visible in the dark, as the rain streams over his face, but still hesitation.

Magic here is a permanent gift, Knox repeats to his ancestor to reassert himself. But Roanne is too wise and sees through it all.

{Roanne:} Thun where is Manhattun?

Quiet as Knox is stuck with the knife, the painful memory that his father forces upon him like so many unwanted platitudes.

{Manhattan:} Where am I?

Her voice, a ghost of his illness, summoned by his father's insolence, sparks rage and sadness within the hunter. But just as he is about to speak no scream no cry into his own mind, to tear his father down, Roanne takes his voice away and speaks another riddle for the mare:

"My ancestor swam rivers as you did to your lover,
Not the only beauty who was party to your triplicate sins.
Perhaps once you were higher than us all
but now we stand shoulder to shoulder.
Am I blinded by your looks, or am I blinded by your warmth?"

""

Ezital was sought.
Congratulations! All clues were correct.

________

Knox guesses Daetiin.

Half dotty,
--Appearance: Marking reference

half crusader;
loyal
--Personality: Directly from profile

--History: Leaves the two remaining members of the outcast band in search of Oultik

so long as you don't fault me for my wings.
--Distrusts pegasi

Knox Stealth: 1/3
Knox Points: 0
Isopia Points: 1

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia

Unlike the interior voice of Knox, Isopia agrees  Though, perhaps it is because she is still soul-struck by this feeling of attraction to Roanne. The giantess interprets this as a sort of sweeping metaphor. A commentary that mildly shrugs and says, Nothing lasts forever. Mountains crumble, rivers dry up, planets implode.  Everything collapses into a response of, no longer. She smiles at this - or at least, her beak parts. Part of her is tempted to step into her normal body as if ...

as if what?

She doesn't know. So that he can see her? But what would that mean? There is nothing about her physical body that expresses any tangible information about her, nothing important. And yet the vacant raven body feels stifling.

Is this part of your game, trickster? She wonders. Is there some sort magic at work here, to make her cry off her challenge and instead day dream with this heavenly-voiced man? She thinks perhaps there is.

And she is both disappointed and relieved by this.

"I've heard of your devotion and loyalty,
yet did you not try to ruin the one you love? Words can be just as painful as sticks and stones, after all.
& how will you provide protection, when you can't even fight?
Or have I forgotten something?"

Hubris trilled gently as she spoke, as if trying to lend his own melodic aid to the girl's words. Isopia's voice was too used to be academic and monotone, that when she did try to break into something that resembled rhythm, her syllables were suddenly stilted and awkward.  

Image Credits

Daetiin was sought!

Half dotty, half crusader;
-- Appaloosa x warlander breed

loyal 
-- Personality, from profile.

-- History reference

-- Isopia is taller than she is

so long as you don't fault me for my wings.
-- Doesn't like Pegasi.

Isopia guesses MIYKAEL ??

My ancestor swam rivers as you did to your lover,
-- Was in a lake the first time he saw Alysanne, his love?

-- Original sin/fallen angel reference?

Perhaps once you were higher than us all
-- Lived in a place called "Heaven's Gate", also died, and presumably Heaven is 'above' us?

but now we stand shoulder to shoulder.
-- Same height as Knox

Am I blinded by your looks, or am I blinded by your warmth?
-- Profile says that he's attractive. Also has healing magic which is warming.

Isopia Stealth: 2/3
Isopia Points: 1
Knox Points: 1

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Jen

There's a sort of peace between them. It's quiet, contemplative. Knox can't say he cares much for it but Roanne basks in the opportunity to be silent and take in nature. The rain falls about them with purity. His challenger's beak is a sound he recalls from memory, something heard in his own head, in his own ancient body. He was great once, can he not be still, even as a ghost?

The dragon's tittering is yet another recollection, another thing on his mind. Quietly he murmurs into the blanket of nature: "Tallus..." perhaps not even loud enough for her to hear. Something like a smile comes across his face. The cool rain slides across old scars--the memory of where a bridle once rested.

"Whut is his name?" The Sentinel asks, daring to step forward even in the dark. Will he really find her or her companion? No, maybe not. They seem distant visions. But the sounds, the sounds... these are what Roanne the sentinel, a beats that lived his whole life in shadow, knows best. As if in courtesy, Knox dims his father's sight to mere shadows and shapes with his magic.

"Dus he like the ridduls?" Roanne asks again, less concerned with the mare's opinion. He can't help but see Tallis in this dragon. Can't help but miss Evangeline, miss home... no matter the leaf litter covering the falls, that heady scent of the wood, these are not the Mystic Woodlands of Isilme. He'll never return to that. Softly, perhaps in resignation, he exhales another riddle. Within him, Knox seethes.

"Little one,
I could just make biscuits out of you.
You do look like you might break in pieces.
Will you take care of me?
Though historically I'm not your specialty."

""

Miykael was sought.
Congratulations! The following are the only clues that differed:

My ancestor swam rivers as you did to your lover,
-- Roanne and Miykael could both shapeshift into otters, Miykael was an otter swimming in a lake when he first saw Alysanne.

-- Has three children all by different mothers

____

Knox guesses ??? WTF I DON'T EVEN KNOW I WENT THROUGH THE WHOLE HERD APOLLO I GUESS

--Personality ref

yet did you not try to ruin the one you love? Words can be just as painful as sticks and stones, after all.
--Loved lots of ladies, maybe they would get jealous or something?

--Pacifist

Knox Stealth: 2/3
Isopia Points: 2

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

Isopia

For a moment Isopia isn't sure who mysterious creature before her is referring to.  She's so drawn into herself, so completely unraveled due to her past actions and so focused upon getting the vial of blood that she thinks will soothe some defeated and destroyed part of her, that for a painstaking moment she thinks the him the wise-ish creature refers to, is actually her son.

her dead son

her murdered son

and had it not been for Hubris' quick mental prod, she might have-- done what? She didn't know, but nor did she have to find out.

"Hubris." She answered, and the bronze creature nodded and then trilled a respectful greeting. His quad-horned skull dipped slightly towards the elder equine.

Dus he like the ridduls? Isopia's golden stare drifted towards Hubris, allowing the dragon to answer for himself. Hubris' clawed hands interlocked and revolved around each other as his pretty skull nodded emphatically. He did. Sparks glistened off of his coat and frost exited his nostrils with his enthusiasm at communicating his answer of yes.

He really really did.

Isopia watched this display, and had her beak been able to part into a smile, it would have. As it was, it merely clicked once, before her hard golden stare moved back to Roanne and the challenge.

"I think you could make me feel happy...
but what about you?
Do you dream about the wolves? Do they frighten you?
Watch your step - if you fall I fear there would be glass everywhere.
Didn't you hear me?
Never mind. I don't think you're very interesting, either."

Image Credits

MIKYAEL WAS SOUGHT

I've heard of your devotion and loyalty,
-- Straight from his profile

-- From his profile, Infected wraith miykael lures alysanne out of the sanctuary and attempts (with words) to break her down, mentally, for abandoning him.

-- Constantly says that he will be a protector of Aly and of others, but he doesn't have stats and so he can't fight.

Or have I forgotten something
-- Magic reference: Can block unwanted memories in an individual without permission and/or can unblock any memory he has previously blocked.

Isopia guesses AGNODICE?

Little one,
-- Is only 14.2, so small.

I could just make biscuits out of you.
-- Is a 'buttermilk' dun?? Or you make biscuits out of flour and she's whiteish?

You do look like you might break in pieces.
-- Has lines around her face? Also her profile says that she looks frail?

Will you take care of me?
-- Healing Magic And is a caretaker

Though historically I'm not your specialty.
-- Trained to heal so that she could heal mares, not stallions like Knox.

Isopia Stealth: 3/3
Isopia Points: 2

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

Jen

The obvious pleasure of the dragon illicits the same response in the sentinel. He steps forward again, seeing everything in a shadowy haze but recognizing the subtle movement, hearing the brush of scales on scales and the icy crackle of electric exhalations. A little less certain than Knox would be of where he stands, Roanne still dares to step forward. That old stag of the mystic woodlands was never afraid to step forward into darkness, even when it threatened to kill him.

"Hubrus," he offers with a kind nod. He proffers his nose for the dragon to hold with its small hands. He expects heat, the same fire that Ruske burned him with once on Isilme. The fire that, throughout a long ancestral line, Knox's family has never been able to escape. The fire that burned down the old country still follows them, even today in Milo's aching breast. But the boy's silence spares them for now. For now, the Sentinel's first son is safe.

For some reason, though, Roanne does not balk at the prospect of being burned. Perhaps it is because this body is no longer his. Knox, still feeling the hurt of Amaris' flame on his face, tried to turn away but cannot overpower Roanne's gentility.

"Yuh must be careful who yuh choose tuh trick, littul one. But use whut yuh hurd tuday tuh be wise."

Roanne takes care to not look at the raven when he speaks, though perhaps with his unbroken gold eyes she would not know even if he did. But the words... are they truly meant only for her companion?

Roanne was a shifter once. Roanne knew how to fly. But he also knew how to land, and with that knowledge he had become a powerful and respected leader. Could this stranger, this darkraven, do the same?

The rain clogs up Roanne's mane, catching in the leaves tangled there and causing a chill to spread across his ghost of a frame. In the dark, silence is the only answer.

""

Agnodice was sought.
All clues are spot on.

________

Knox guesses Resplendence.
I think you could make me feel happy...
--Can create false emotions when she hums, Isopia is not very happy

but what about you?
--Isn't too happy of a character, tragic past.

Do you dream about the wolves? Do they frighten you?
--Wolves attacked family in history. Personality says she is scared of things.

Watch your step - if you fall I fear there would be glass everywhere.
--Has a glass box that would shatter if she fell.

Didn't you hear me?
--Missing one ear from a birth defect.

Never mind. I don't think you're very interesting, either.

Knox Stealth: x/x
Knox Points: 2
Isopia Points: 3

Point chart:
-.5 for guessing late

_______

You do not need to reply in any sort of time limit but the sooner the less suspense. Time/Archibald will judge the un-guessed stealths and deduct points as needed before announcing the winner. In your post tag him/Time and copy and copy and paste the reveals for the unguessed stealths, noting who made them (your Miykael one and perhaps this as well.) Archibald has the final say in the matter and has the right as herd lead to overrule. Should you not win, the item will go back in the pile and you can challenge for it again in whatever manner you wish. It's up to Time whether or not she wishes to join the thread IC or PM us the judging results.

Isopia

The dragon's claws happily find the soft folds of Roanne's nose, and he touches them gently but with interest. What comes off of his bronzey body is not heat, but cold. Cold accompanied by electricity. The smell of it - as small sparks and frost-swirls fall off of his wings - is similar to petrichor, though not nearly sweet.

Hubris whistles a low and long note into the dark man's nose to show his careful and astute understanding. Gently, he lets go of the velvety nostril-hoods and backs away. Meanwhile, Isopia hasn't moved. She doesn't have ears to flicker, and so relies on holding her breath to catch the sentinels words without having to move to hear them. For some reason, she's worried that if she breaks the stillness something will snap. That he'll disappear, or that his prophetic words will turn out to be a parting comment and that he'll just wisp away into the darkness.

As the rain droned on through the silence, Isopia sighed to herself.

In one graceful action, the raven glided from the tree, transformed in mid-air, with Isopia's forelegs landing neatly on the ground as the rest of her body completed the transformation in time for her hind legs to touch down as well. She folded her large wings against her flanks and regarded Roanne's hard golden stare with her own - though now hers was much larger and at his eye level.

"Thank you." She offered, though it was unclear as to whether she meant that for his soundbite of advice, or for the challenge.

The girl fought the urge to look around, to inquire as to whether or not she had won, and if so, to race back to her clearing with the blood. She imagined it pouring onto the sculpture, colouring the pure snow as she did so, and it soothed her. But only for a moment - the way that a sip of cold water momentarily calms heartburn. Quickly though, the fire in her belly flared up once more.

Still, she remained silent, staring at Roanne. Perhaps this too was part of the game.  This waiting.

Image Credits

Yep! All of your clues were spot on! The last line, Never mind. I don't think you're very interesting, either. In her profile it says that she doesn't think that she's interesting.

Tagging @Time for either IC or OOC judging! This is the only one not guessed:

Jen's guess:

Knox guesses ??? WTF I DON'T EVEN KNOW I WENT THROUGH THE WHOLE HERD APOLLO I GUESS

--Personality ref

--Loved lots of ladies, maybe they would get jealous or something?

--Pacifist

Reveal:

MIKYAEL WAS SOUGHT

I've heard of your devotion and loyalty,
-- Straight from his profile

-- From his profile, Infected wraith miykael lures alysanne out of the sanctuary and attempts (with words) to break her down, mentally, for abandoning him.

-- Constantly says that he will be a protector of Aly and of others, but he doesn't have stats and so he can't fight.

Or have I forgotten something
-- Magic reference: Can block unwanted memories in an individual without permission and/or can unblock any memory he has previously blocked.

Jen

The cold is a welcome surprise. A wide smile reaches across Roanne's features, banishing the last of Knox's hindering gloom. Perhaps that's necessary, though, in order for the gift to be given. Try as he might, the hunter is not so good at being selfless as Archibald would want him to be.

The dragon's claws in his nose are something that force him to be still, if only on instinct alone. Roanne isn't scared of dragons but others in the family line are, and they cower in fear at such closeness. What the sentinel views as mere kindness and connection is bravery to others.

The sparks and frost mix with the rain and create a unique scent that the partially blind stag does not recognize but hopes to encounter again. It is clear that this meeting is coming to an end, but he senses there is still more to come. When the dragon releases him he turns and lets his limited gaze follow the shifting raven.

He is not surprised at her secondary form, but he is perhaps surprised that she has shown it to him so readily.

Foolish, Knox thinks with an internal snort, impressing his penchant for maintaining secrets upon the mare.
{Roanne:} Trusting.
Do you really think they aren't the same thing?

Roanne turns to the mare and nods at her thanks. "Yuh are wulcome," Roanne answers softly, before moving slowly towards the branch where he remembers hanging the prize. It slides from its perch and onto his nose with ease--from there, he offers it to the mare. He winks at the dragon as he passes him, having formed an affection for the beast.

"Use it wull," he adds as he drops it before her on the ground, his eyes staring vaguely into the distance and her shadow. There time together is over, for now. He doesn't think she will stay long.

""

@Isopia, congratulations! The god's blood is yours. Thanks for participating!

Isopia

Were Isopia to hear Knox's thoughts, she might have smiled slyly.
Foolish, no... Merely showing you how much there is about me that you do not know.

Perhaps you are the fool, for underestimating me so quickly.

But she didn't, and so these thoughts remained silently locked inside of her brain, unthought.

Hubris gushes - or as much as a reptile can gush - at Roanne's wink. The dragon cannot wink yet, but tries just the same. Instead of blinking one eye, sparks fall from his snout, and he sneezes.

Isopia however, has eyes only for the vial. It stirs inside of her some haphazard anxiety, a whirlwind of need. But she knows that showing her urgency would be foolish, and so she lets the sentinel drop it before her and stands solidly. Briefly she considers asking him questions - how did you come by this?, who are you?, but it all seems so unimportant.  He has shown her his mind, and that is all she really needs to know.

"Until we meet again." She says, two parts prophecy, one part ominous promise. In fact, she does hope that they meet again, but with all others, she is in no real rush. Isopia does not need others in her life, and finds it only happenstance when they prove to be useful or nice to be around.

For a moment her mind shudders to Volterra, the root of all of her problems. Had he ever been nice to be around, really? She had wanted him, from their second or third encounter (she remembered vividly the way her body had dropped onto his after the fire, and she had felt nothing), and that want had consumed her. But had her mind ever wanted him?

She looked at Roanne and realized that she did want to linger longer, but couldn't. She needed to take care of the blood, the baby.

With a final sweeping nod of her quad horned skull, the demigoddess turned and began to slowly disappear into the thick foliage. With a happy trill and a wave of his tail, Hubris grabbed the blood and disappeared after his bonded.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here