the Rift

[OPEN] Dial Tone

Enyo Posts: 27
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14hh :: 2
Onei :: Gyrfalcon :: None M.E.

It’s small and squawking and it’s uglier than you expected. You’ve been standing there watching it hatch, unblinking, and you’re beginning to feel the burn in your retinas for it—but it doesn’t stop you from staring. It’s pale beak is smaller than you expected, after watching Father’s and Sister’s giant birds wing their way about. Its body is naked and bony, and it scares you slightly. But it’s such a numb scare, such a dull one, because what you mostly feel is…blank.

Anticlimactic, almost.

You’re not sure how you’re supposed to feel.

You remember how you cried that day you tried to face the wolf; you remember your Sister’s triumph, the blood hanging in the air like a pungent cologne, and how she won her Ker that day. She had spilled blood, taken a life, conquered. And what did you do, little Enyo?

You…stumbled upon it. On accident.

It doesn’t feel whole to you, it doesn’t feel right. You always imagined this moment would come when you have finally faced your fears bravely, snarling in the eyes of your opponents, becoming a monster in full as you were always meant to be. Redeeming yourself of the sniveling, the bold, ugly crying you had displayed upon the hill. You did not expect to find an egg so soon, while you were still like this, the crying so easily accessed behind your eyes, the fear still alive in your breast. All that has changed is that the tears can fall now on command, the fear can be shuttered carefully, glazed over with a mask you have been learning to polish and polish and polish into a respectable, believable gleam. But monsters don’t wear masks, and you still feel the fear, and tears do not live in monster eyes.

You have not grown at all like you wanted, and you do not feel as though you are anywhere near ready for an egg such as this. And yet here it is before you, cracked open and stinking with a new baby who is alone, who looks at you and meeps so pitifully. You feel something touching the edges of your mind, soft cotton balls rubbing themselves against your temple, abrasive until you decide to allow them in, and you haven’t yet. You’re still staring down at this pale, too-ugly, too-small chick, and it’s almost like looking in a mirror, except you’re not so pale.

“Are you cold?” you ask—for, remarkably, you feel very little as you observe the chickling before you. But you feel as though you must say something to it anyway, display some sort of caring for a babe that’s been abandoned by the world. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to be, anyway?

The cotton balls are still there, prodding, prodding, and you’re still not sure whether you should pick up the phone. 

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

[Hatching Thread for Onei!]
[Image: pixelcomm4_by_sourful-d9xl8aw.png]
Pixel by Sourful!

Please tag Enyo in all posts!
All force is permitted against her!

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
"I'll let them know what bad means."
Mother seemed displeased after I'd run off after her most severe beating, she eagerly praises me when she can, smiling in the most grueling fashion every time I do something she approves of— I shouldn't complain (I love compliments, really), but it doesn't feel right coming from her. Yes— mothers are supposed to praise and cherish and adore their children, but Mother has never done that, and up until recently, I was very sure she never would.

Yet as the deep, rugged scars begin to fade into the backdrop of monochrome fur along my back, Mother grows ever kinder. Each week is a gruesome new discovery of a mare I never knew hid behind that hardened facade— the beatings did not just vanish, no, they still happened but at a less frequent rate then before. Perhaps she finally took a step back to realize that she was only putting me on a path riddled with anxiety and paranoia, a ticking fear of anything loud and thunderous— and such conditions were not fit for kings. Maybe she finally learned that through firm reinforcement and praise (in a well fashioned balance) would great the most respectable king, rather than harsh collision of hoof and tooth to skin.  

Today she had nothing planned (no profound lessons on the importance of secrecy, no mock fights where she always won, no target practice where she would prove how poor my aim was), and thus I was free to do as I pleased (almost). So I took this opportunity to strut around the forest, keeping my eyes peeled for something particularly interesting to observe (or someone to bother, either or).

And just my luck— a snow white shape sticks out in my bleary vision, a stark contrast to the brittle black and greens and browns in the background. From where it (they) stand, I can smell something wretched, my nose wrinkling in disgust (not another one). I get closer, able to make out that it's another foal (she's very small), and her recently birthed companion. The most immediate thought is (again), 'another one?' There seems to be a trend here with all these ugly little chics, what's so entertaining about them? What good will they do you with their unfeathered masses and narrow beaks? Why settle for less when there's so much more?

Maybe the real question I should be asking, is why not me? Why do I keep spotting others (Nymeria, that sass mass filly, Zhu's mother, Volterra) who bear companions— and now this girl. So where is mine? I'm sure they don't just fall out of the sky, but I really wish they did (and I was lucky enough to get one) so I didn't have to feel like the odd man out. Sabre and Mother don't have companions, which gives me all the more reason to get one. I'll be the first (of the three of us), which will be just amazing for the ego I've got (the crop is bountiful this year!).

"Where did you get that?"

"Talk."
kid
the boy king
image credits

@Enyo probably shouldnt bu t i wanted a smithers thread sooo

made by reli

tag me in everything

Oizys Posts: 134
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 7.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 17hh :: 2 HP: 73.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ker :: Philippine Eagle :: Curse Snow

OIZYS

she's the giggle at a funeral

Ker leads her like a moth to a flame, to the sweet smell of Sister - and to the creature who will bond itself to Sister's soul.

As Oizys runs at a headlong gallop after her raptor, enticed by the shrieks of excitement coming from the bird's beak, she muses over her opinions on her sibling bonding. It makes her jealous that she will no longer be the sole twin to Enyo, and yet her own hypocrisy makes her ache, because she herself bonded when she was a mere week old. Too young for such responsibility, for the pressure of nurturing a Thing. For a long time, she wondered why she bothered, when the ball of hideous grey fluff did little else but eat, shit and squawk.

But Ker has grown fast, and grown well. She isn't ugly anymore, although she has not yet reached her adult size. She's brown and black and white and fierce, with broad wings bred for speed and a savagely hooked beak meant for tearing. Instead of resembling an useless grey blob of feathers, she now just looks like a smaller version of her mother, and Oizys has finally decided that bonding to her wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Now, it's Sister's turn. The gargoyle slows her stride gradually, because sudden lurches in momentum can trigger the Cough, and she doesn't want that. An angry scream from the eaglet draws her attention to the other one on the scene, and she rolls her eyes in exasperation when she sees who it is. "Not you again," snaps the bitch, pinning her ears and edging away from the colt and towards Enyo. Ker circles, lands on Oizys' withers and glowers down at the boy with a considerably more impressive air than she possessed last time, when she was a small, fluffy thing with nothing but a big attitude.

Oizys looks down at her sister's bonded, the lump of feathery nothingness that is so familiar. "Your own raptor! Congratulations, sister." She feels it is a fairly safe guess to assume it is a raptor - no child of the basilisk will bond to a pigeon or a duck, will she?

She shifts her muzzle, aiming to touch it to Sister's withers in a gesture of greeting and affection quite at odds with the tenseness of her muscles brought on from the proximity of the skull-faced shitbag. She shoots him another filthy glare, but decides she won't let him ruin her sister's special Bonding Day.

Image Credits

@Enyo

[ the gargoyle queen ]
OIZYS IS ALWAYS RATED M FOR STRONG LANGAUGE IN HER POSTS

Outcast

The ugly, chittering thing at your feet continues to squirm, rolling itself out of its eggy prison, gradually chipping its way onto the earth, into real life. You’re still not sure how you feel about it, even as someone else (someone new) approaches before you’re even sure how to perceive the little cotton balls at the corner of your mind. You have to admit, though. It’s intriguing watching this tiny chicklet struggle for life without once lifting a finger to help it. My, my, so cold you are sometimes. I’ll admit; I do understand it’s not out of any malice against the poor bird for you to care so little. It’s simply who you are, and also because you’re not quite sure what to do at this point. It hasn’t answered your question yet; you do not know if it’s cold.

My apologies, I mentioned someone had arrive and we’ve barely paid attention to him! Our mistake. Your golden gaze rises from the bird to see a deplorably marked little boy some moons older than you, slender in his legs and chest than you’d think he would be at such an age, for you’re quite sure dear Oizys is thicker and broader in both those places already. You don’t know what this means—that either Ozzy is fat or this child is small f or what he is. Does that make him weak? Does that make him hungry?. You eye the white marking blazing across his face like a skull, the uneven, unflattering red splashing across his chest. The bones that line his leg. Those red eyes gleaming at you as he spits words into your lap. Where did you get that?

You blink at him, large, golden blinks. You’re not quite sure how to answer him. “Right here,” you say rather bluntly, potentially missing some hostility on his breath. You decide anyway that the time is ripe for a taunt, and you scuff your hoof delicately upon the ground while casting your gaze demurely to the side. “I guess I got here first,” you sigh, wondering if you are rubbing salt on a wound. You know how it feels to be left out of the companion game, and yet you still cannot find mercy within your bones.

You smell her before you see her, that big-boned sister you had just been thinking about, and Ozzy’s pale, piercing eyes cut through the gloom of the forest as she approaches. Enyo’s eye is drawn to Ker upon her sister’s back—such a large creature now, so beautifully plumed out, so much larger even as a chickling than this gray blob right here. Sister touches you and lashes out almost in the same instant, against the slender boy. The click in your mind is instantaneous. “You know each other?” It’s a question bordering on a pout, feeling almost left out again, petty and angry that someone new and strange would know your sister without your consent. You wrestle with it quietly, and the cotton balls prod your mind.

You’re not sure how to take your sister’s congratulations; you smile at her quietly, a gentle sunbeam with your muzzle, and yet you feel more confused than ever. Cotton balls prod, they push. You lower your face near the little chick, and it nibbles the soft skin there. This is a bonding moment, y’know. Even if you’re not aware.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

@Kid
Pixel by Sourful!

dark
I watch the lack of interaction between bird and bonded, wondering what the hesitation is (maybe she's too young to fully understand the needs of young? I am too, honestly— I don't know how to take care of babies, I just know you should take care of them). And as this chick struggles out of the remains of its pearly shell, the filly just watches, waits. I look the small girl over, wondering why her features are so familiar (who?), furrowing ivory brows as my eyes take in the details of her hornless appearance— a Mother approved interaction (she'd be proud).

I shrug at her words, accented with a careless sidelong glance and her tan hoof playing at the earth. The only muscles that moved were my shoulders to shrug, my face absent of expression as I gaze at the egg and then her. Her taunt didn't strike me, didn't bring me to my knees or make me weep with my miss of an opportunity. "I wouldn't want that anyway, little birds aren't fit for future kings." I answer nonchalantly, feeling full well that this is the truth— I wouldn't take a bird as my companion, they're so small and feeble— a king needs something better. "But I'm sure you two will be great together." Both small, both weak. A false smile finds its way to my two tone lips, looking down at the leonine tailed filly and her ugly chick.

I could of left her taunt as is and just shrugged it off, but I had been itching to respond with more than just a shrug of the shoulders. Besides, I wanted to make sure this girl knew she wasn't going to get anywhere with making feel bad (sorry, you've been beaten to it)— I've been insulted so many times by Mother that I don't think anyone else's insults affect me.

An ear splitting screech signals that we're not alone, ears falling flat and head turning to see exactly who I wouldn't expect— the sooty filly from months ago, the one I bantered with until finally things got deep and she fled (still don't know why). I smile sweetly at her, innocently raising the corners of my lips in her direction. "I was expecting kinder greeting, but that'll do." I wasn't actually (the next time she saw me I was sure she'd try to and sick her eaglet on me) expecting any sort of nice greeting in fact, I wasn't even expecting to see her.

I cast a glance in the direction of the feisty babe and her equally as fierce companion, I wouldn't say that we exactly know each other. We just had an interesting commonality between us that was a rather touchy subject (as shown when she high tailed it away). "You could say that." Bubblegum eyes sweep over the not-so-subtly grown filly and her barely increased bulk, face falling back to slack as she pushes forward to brush her muzzle against the recently bonded filly's withers.

Oh, they're sisters (what an exciting twist). As the sooty girl affectionately congratulates her sister, she casts a fiendish glare my way— I grin innocently and bat my lashes at her, tail flicking at my thighs casually as the twins have their moment. "You should have told me you have a sister— now we've got even more in common." If only Sabre was here with me, we could have so much fun with these two (a roast circle! Although I don't know about that little black one). I'm sure I could get her, she shouldn't be far— but it's not guaranteed that she'd even hear me (these woods are massive and go on for ages), and if she did hear, it might take her a bit to locate us (like needles in a haystack).

"Talk."
kid
the boy king
image credits

@Oizys

made by reli

tag me in everything

OIZYS

The colt's remark bids her ears to flatten irritably again, and Ker gives a low, ominous gargle in the depths of her beak. It is so much easier to be nasty and confrontational towards him than it is to remember the Deep Feels she felt prior to her quick farewell last time they met. God dammit, sympathy is not a thing the gargoyle queen should be feeling, and it infuriates her how weird she felt around this skull-marked colt once she learnt of his mother. The thought that they could be kindred spirits, both beholden to a parent that they fear and adore, sickens her.

So it's far better for her to be unpleasant towards him than to risk feeling more Feels.

At Enyo's question as to them knowing each other, the filly snorts. "You could say that." Only, she says it at exactly the same moment the colt does, and her nostrils flare with distaste at the notion of doing something he does, again. Her tail twines between her ankles and she narrows her gaze at him, desperately trying to summon up some hatred but finding herself unable to. How can she hate him, when a quirk of fate means that they've got more in common than either of them care to admit? Even her old daydream of Father bringing mayhem onto him doesn't seem to work anymore.

But this is Sister's special day, and it shouldn't be ruined by anything. She studiously ignores his sister comment, because like hell do they need any more similarities, and focuses instead on the grey bundle of fluff that is Enny's new companion. "Can you feel it in your head yet? Have you given it a name?" Such a bombardment of questions, bringing back such wonderful memories of when she found Ker! The young eagle herself scrutinises the chick with a sharp and curious eye, tilting her head from side to side and chirping a happy greeting in the general direction of the feathery bundle.

Image Credits

@Enyo

[ the gargoyle queen ]

Outcast

The little beak scratching tickles--it brings a smile to your lips. A small, hesitant smile, and yet it’s a smile nonetheless, and you wish at that moment that the boy really would just leave. You’re done at the moment with interacting with strangers, and the cotton balls against your head are becoming seductive in their softness, their infectious curiosity. You wonder what will happen if you allow them in, but you do no dare give in to the impulse, because there is someone else here and they are strange and you’re not sure if you like them or not.

"I wouldn't want that anyway, little birds aren't fit for future kings. But I'm sure you two will be great together."

“Oh, thank you,” you say with a sweet, smile-less voice as you lift your head from the little beak-scratching, meeting his weird-colored eyes. The insult doesn’t escape you, and you wonder how to retaliate, if it’s even worth retaliating. He calls himself a king. He is already wrong. He does not know what you know. “I’m sure you’ll be as great of a king as your companion.” The thin air next to the boy, in front of him, surrounding him, becomes thicker as it is addressed, as though happy to be acknowledged finally.

"You could say that," they both say in unison. Your sister, and this stranger.

You’re mad, then. Livid. Furious. It comes across your eyes in a shadow, as though obscuring the dazzling, glamorous gold into something flatter and subdued. You hate what has just happened, that something could tie these two together in a way that never tied you or Sister like this. And you hate how he says—now they have even more in common, as though there were other things tying them together. You don’t like this boy. You don’t want him around anymore, you want him gone, you want him away forever. You want him killed; you wish he was dead.

You smile at him.

Sister asks about the cotton balls, and your theory is proven correct, that this was a thing that happens between bonded. “Yes, I feel it,” you say, and even though you speak with the same delicate tones as always, there is something shaded about the silks of your voice, “it’s really small.” You duck down to the chick again, for it’s beginning to wobble itself from the egg, throwing itself from the prison of it, wiggling to its feet and nibbling anything that comes close. Your nose comes close. It nibbles. “I haven’t thought of a name, though,” you confess. I didn’t expect to meet it today, of all days, at all times. Goodness, I’m –very- unprepared.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

@Kid
Pixel by Sourful!

dark
The insult hits just as planned, a direct target to the smaller child's ears as her bittersweet voice flows from unsmiling lips (bull's eye). There was indeed an affect, a victory I'd rightfully earned. "Something the matter?" I sing to her, sly and mischievous— careful in my tone of voice and choice of words. I'd have my fun while I could, eager to keep myself entertained while her blob of a chick remains on the forest floor surrounded by crumpled wet eggshell (upstaging a baby, how kind of me).

"And I'm sure you're as bird-brained as that companion of yours." I offer a false smile, looking down at the girl and her companion seething with anger. How lucky of her to get a companion, while I was here all alone. As much as I didn't want a bird or some measly animal to bond to— I didn't want to be alone either. I wanted the company of someone else at my side (not Sabre, not Zhu as much as I adore him and his fine body) but another half that will understand my internal turmoil, that I know will remain with me until the end.

Unfortunately for me— the sooty, blue-eyed filly and I speak in unison, our voices overlapping as we respond word for word to the black babe. Bubblegum reaches for stormy grey, seeking out the sparks of hatred and malcontent that had been present when they'd first encountered one another— I find it indeed, unspoken fury only displayed in the flaring of small nostrils and subtly unpleasant features. My normally impassive features suddenly scrunch up into a shit eating grin, eyes peering towards the filly and her now grown eaglet with sickening glee (let her suffer, this was hilarious). "Well, that was unexpected." I comment unnecessarily, looking at the onyx babe and her flickering golden eyes (the eyes are the window to the soul after all)— and this girl's soul was out for blood. It's dark and haunting, a killer stare from a toddler— how amusing. Her golden gaze burns into me as I snicker quietly to myself (let her get angry at me, I couldn't care less whether she wanted my guts or not), enjoying her fury (try me) I wish to tell her, seeking to tease her a little more.

I look towards the taller of the two, trying to not so subtly mouth out: 'someone's looking a little grumpy'. My eyes pass between them— waiting for the one previously met to show some sign of knowing what I'd silently spoken, in the meantime looking down at them and marking the similarities and differences between their childish builds. Already there were differences in the way they were growing, the charcoal limbed filly sprouting above her sister by a few inches (barely a noticeable difference), and my sympathy goes out to the smaller one (welcome to the tiny tots club kid, you'll probably be stuck here the rest of your life).

The sisters' attention falls back to the newly hatched eaglet wallowing on the ground (the bird takes back the spotlight), an ugly grey mass of teetering legs and soft down— it wasn't appealing on the eyes. Dragons certainly never looked this unappealing, always an aesthetically pleasing sight with their glittering scales and powerful tendons pushing them into the sky and jagged claws clutching their prey with a vice grip— threatening ivory and billowing flames, they were the definition of everything a future king like me needs.

I keep my lips sealed while the two have their moment, distanced expression observing the interaction between bonded and child, questioning what it felt like to be newly bonded (was it weird? Did you actually feel anything?). From what the taller says, you feel your companion in your head— how peculiar. What was it like to have to minds bound together to one another? All these questions rise to my lips, hesitating there as I realize this is not the right crowd to be asking, if anything I should be seeking out Nymeria or Volterra for the answers, not two salty sisters.

"Talk."
kid
the boy king
image credits

@Oizys

made by reli

tag me in everything

OIZYS

Sister does not look happy.

Immediately, Oizys begins to fret. Does Sister think she is friends with this boy, simply because they spoke in tandem? Oh, no! The grey shuffles closer to her sibling, to try and reassure her that her and only her is the gargoyle's friend. Enyo comments that her bird is really small, and Oizys flashes her a grin. "It'll grow." Ker ruffles her feathers importantly. She too had started out as small, useless and weak, so much so that Oizys had often contemplated killing her just to get rid of her and find something better to bond to. But she'd decided against it, partly because she wasn't sure what would happen to her mind if she tore away the eaglet that had, unfortunately, become such a massive part of it, but because she'd also harboured faith that the bird could grow and flourish.

And she had. Sister's bird will, as well.

Her cold grey eyes dart around in time to see the colt miming something to her - her ears pin and she stomps her small hoof. "Being around you could bring out the grumpiness in the fucking Chief of the Happy Society," she growls. She looks swiftly around, between the colt, her sister, and the baby bird on the floor; she wonders if the boy is jealous of the fact the two inferior girls have bonded. Oizys knows nothing of dragons - to her, the ultimate predator is the raptor, and both she and Enyo have one apiece.

She wonders if his mother would be proud if he returned to her with a bird. She smothers that thought, because it makes her belly do that stupid flip-flop, makes her horrible sympathy begin to bubble beneath her skin. God dammit! The gargoyle stomps it firmly down, crushing it like a rat's skull. She much preferred when he made her so angry she itched - because she knows how to handle anger and hatred. The one thing she cannot handle is empathy, so she needs to purge it the hell out of her body before it invades her like a fucking parasite.

Image Credits

@Enyo

[ the gargoyle queen ]