the Rift

[PRIVATE] glorious things

Nizho Posts: 17
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 2 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time

He was nearly a yearling, even though this winter droned on and on. He had seen the mighty Zephyr cross the sky, and it had given him some semblance of determination. He needed to learn to fly, and he needed to learn well. His parents were too busy to teach him, and his older sister seemed to disappear. She had always had a penchant for roaming the Wilds, but it had been several weeks since the colt had seen Mordecai. Frowning, he snuck his way out of the herdland. His father was on patrol, and his mother was tending to the flock. It was the perfect opportunity to slip through the border on the flaming wings with some dutiful wingless out for a patrol. He had become skilled in it, waiting at the shoreline for someone to leave the Throat. The act no longer held the heart-pumping thrust of thrill and excitement, instead it had transformed into a solid, gold medal of pride. He was skilled.

Trotting his way away from the red sands, the colt found himself at a river cross in the Thistle Meadow. It was too wide to jump, too quick to swim. He knew exactly what he needed to do. Trotting back the way he had come some paces, he suddenly shifted and threw his dappled body into a ferocious gallop. His thin, tall legs carried him quickly and he thrust his wings out. He felt his feathers wiggle with the wind catching at them, and as he drew near the river he felt his stomach flip and turn inside of his gut. He was going to do this. He was Really going to do this. One, two, three, four strides and, he counted before leaping, legs tucking up into his undercarriage and wings catching the warm wind.

He glided--not flew--over the river. It did not matter, however, for as cloven hooves hit the other side of the river he rejoiced. He was entirely ungraceful in his landing, and he stumbled and tripped and rolled into the waning snow. He did not care, however, and he let his roars of laughter fill the meadow. He got to his feet quickly and started cantering, lacing his run with bucks and twists of joy. He understood now why his father spent so much time in the sky. It was absolutely the best thing he had ever done in his life.

"chat chat"

I lose my balance on these eggshells you tell me to tread
I'd rather be a wild one instead
image credits 

@Tae @Enyo

Enyo Posts: 27
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14hh :: 2
Onei :: Gyrfalcon :: None M.E.

It smells like Father here. It makes you pine.

You do not know that Father had been here recently, instructing your sister without your knowledge. It’s for the best, anyway. It would’ve given you a stomach ache if you had known. Now, only your heart aches because you miss Paaapaaa and you want him to see your treasure, your prize, your gift.

Onei sits upon your back, so docile and fluffy, so unlike Ker. He is a pale little bauble gracing the black of your coat, and it’s astounding how attached you’ve grown to him already. Those little cotton balls, you had allowed them in your head, and it’s amazing how he makes you feel. Nothing specific, mind. His mind is much too vague, much too new, to form solid opinions and facts. But he is so curious and there is a vibrance there that feeds the gaping chasm in your breast. He is not so boring, and you are not so bored.

So you explore, because he wants to learn and so do you, but his learning makes everything so colorful bright. The thistles, for instance, underneath the melting, re-frozen snow. You are both dying to see what a world can look like when it is not snowy and cold all the time. Winter is all the either of you have ever known. Onei is eager for the melt of spring, and suddenly, you find yourself eager as well.

You watch a shadow—no, wait, shadows are not brown. You are a shadow, truly, with only a speck of blue to mar your coat, yet shadows do have blue lining sometimes don’t they? They’re certainly not burned brown at the joints. But you do not care, because you approach anyway, watching them kinda sorta fly to your side of the river.

It reminds you of the scene in the Edge, and how that spittling of a boy had danced with death at the edge of a cliff. This one—this boy (now that you’re near enough to smell it) is not so small and has many, many more legs, so you’re not sure how old he seems. He’s certainly skinnier than Father and all the other adult males you’ve seen. Does that make him young, or unfortunate?

“Hello,” you say, eyeing the line of his broad wings as he shoots past you in obvious glee. You suppose it might be exciting to fly through the air—Onei is certainly impressed, cheeping animatedly from his perch at the young colt—although you yourself have never felt the urge to soar. You think it might become boring after a while, because there’s nothing up there, nothing but clouds and the sun and moon and stars—and you can see those from the ground anyway, so what’s the point of flapping? “Would you jump from a cliff?” you call out to the boy suddenly—a nonsensical thing to say, of course, but you cannot help it, because you’re becoming bored already and yet Onei wants to stay.

talk talk talk

Enyo

Screaming like a siren
Alive and burning brighter
I am the fire
credits
[Image: pixelcomm4_by_sourful-d9xl8aw.png]
Pixel by Sourful!

Please tag Enyo in all posts!
All force is permitted against her!

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Large pale eyes watched the activities below with something like a distrustful interest.

As soon as Tae saw Nizho, she wanted to go down and join him. She liked the boy - even if Grusha disapproved of her interest. He was strong and captivating, and perhaps even a little handsome in his boyishness. But being only a girl herself she was not detracted by his youthful looks. However as the other entered, the girl immediately stopped. Her dark ears pinned against her skull and her mandible-marked jaw clenched disapprovingly.

Boy or girl? she wondered, but from her vantage point it was far too hard to tell. It just looked like a blackish thing, one that interrupted the tentative day-dream that had begun to spin inside of her mind. Had the other not been there, Tae might have tried to glide all the way from her hill down to him, but as it was, she was not about to make a fool of herself in front of an outsider. Nizho was practically family (in that non-incesty way, of course), but the other?

Tae snorted, looking at the two large black shapes that sat on either side of her. The wolves, if nothing else, were a good excuse to walk.

"Be watchful." She murmured to her canine companions, who growled and nodded in response.

Picking up the most elegant canter that she could, Tae descended down to where Enyo and Nizho stood. Her body was still quite small - she knew that she would never grow to be as robust as Grusha or anywhere near as tall as her Father, but she didn't mind the hardness or compactness of her body. She took after Ampere, and if she knew one thing about her Mother, it was that she was fast. Both Mal and Hel kept up with her easily, though their strides had to be much longer than Tae's did in order to keep up.

"M'ath Nizho!" She called to her herd-mate in their mutual shared language, before with calculating accuracy, letting her ghostly white gaze slip towards Enyo. 

A girl.

Was Tae the jealous or coveting type? She was too young to know. 

But maybe.

"Hello." She offered placidly, her word now in the common tongue so that she would understand. 

The hellhound and wolf sat at her side like two black sentinels. They had eyes only for Tae, but occasionally those eyes swept over Nizho and Enyo, mutely warning them about getting too close with their permission.

tae
We're speeding through red lights into paradise
'Cause we've no time for getting old
Mortal bodies, timeless souls
Cross your fingers, here we go
Image Credits

Time

His laughter continued to fill the snow dusted landscape, birds rising from their roosts and cackling their beaks in discontentment. "HAH!" He verbally struck them, another buck rocketing from his hind legs. His wings spread and his feathers glittered brilliantly in the Frostfall sun. Slowing to a high-kneed trot, Nizho circled around until he stopped, breathing heavily. Mirth filled his coldfire eyes, his tail flashing wildly behind him and striking his long legs. He had not even noticed he had galloped past another being, he was so caught up in his celebration. The other's words suddenly hit him, like a bullet, and he swung to face her. He did not take a moment to process her words before he spoke, confidence lacing each syllable. "I will, eventually!" His chest puffed with all of the gusto of youth, his coldfire eyes shining as he looked her up and down. 

She was awfully short, though compact, but there was still the young scrawniness behind her dark coat. Nizho lifted a brow, trotting carefully to come closer to her. He looked to the bird upon her back, and spoke again. "My mother has a bird companion. Gwahir." Ears flicked back some as the sound of paws padding in the snow caught his attention. Turning his head, Nizho watched as his death-marked herdmate made her way toward them. She had been there when his father was promoted to Gladiator. She was the Sultan's daughter. She was khalakki just as he was khalakka, though their parents were not in union. Her father was the Khal, his mother was the Khaleesi. Nizho cared not for politics, though Asavvi had attempted to explain it to him on more than one acount. Dark lips brightened with a smile and he called out to Tae. "M'ath, Tae!" He took a step back, wings extending some to welcome his herdmate into their conversation.

His eyes swept between the two ladies before him, and he was keen to observe that each of them was tied to more souls. "How did you get your companions?"

image credits 

@Tae @Enyo

Enyo Posts: 27
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14hh :: 2
Onei :: Gyrfalcon :: None M.E.

He was certainly built of fire, you think to yourself. Bursting everywhere, throwing his limbs in a display of cocky, boyish energy you find yourself attracted to, a dull little moth fluttering hesitantly around a vibrant, explosive flame. He’s pretty large, too, with all the legs he has. And it seems as though he screams at the poor birds fluttering from the trees with victory, as though he achieved something that escapes you.

Onei peeps loudly. He says obediently upon your rump, and yet he flaps some himself, immersed in the display wrought by the boy. You yourself are compelled to stay, now, especially since he comes to look at you. Hmm, but what’s this? This is interesting, but there’s something annoying you—ah, yes, the fact that he realizes you are here, that your presence jerks into his vision instead of bleeding into it naturally and immediately. He should’ve noticed you before you arrived; he should’ve picked up your scent, your gorgeous golden eyes, and should’ve awaited your presence, laying prostrate as you walked towards him—as you deigned to walk toward him—

It’s something you didn’t know you needed until this moment. It’s an awakening in your breast, something stirring out of the dull boredom that dominates your core. It is a greed, a need to be—beheld.

You give him your most glittery eyes, so that he knows what he’s missed. You smile at him—but not too much of a smile, it’s a quiet one, it’s intrigued and satiny upon your dark lips. It’s becoming automatic now, this shift into a mask, whatever mask is appropriate for the time. Whatever mask is most fitting, whatever will capture the most interest, whatever will make them gaze at a glowingness in your—

"My mother has a bird companion. Gwahir."

Goddammit.

You give your most sparkly self—and yet his eyes fall onto the fluttering pale puff on your rump that is Onei. Is this boy blind? Not that Onei is ugly or lesser—he’s certainly a piece of your soul, so maybe this boy’s interest in him speaks of deeper things that he notices? Except you do not want that. You want him to melt at the sight of you. You want something shallow, because that’s easier to create, and control.

“Oh,” you respond delicately, because you do not know how to respond to that. You don’t care if his mother has a bird companion. You don’t know who she is, and why she should matter. And you’re upset he’s not looking into your beautiful, beautiful eyes—so it’s hard to play along, to play interesting when someone’s not interested. “They’re nice,” you try to build a conversation, “My…I’ve known lots of people with bird companions, I’ve always loved them.” My father has two harpies, my sister has her own eagle. But you cannot speak of a Father that is dead, and you keep your sister hidden for now. You’re selfish like that.

Your selfishness also manifests in the appearance of another, one who is female now, and ugly. You look to the approaching figure with mild eyes, gazing at the bone marking on her face—this seems to be a trend, and an ugly one, or perhaps there is a serial rapist flying about the earth with bones marked all over his hide—and weird pale eyes that do not have a color and sit strikingly upon an otherwise dark body. If it weren’t for the markings of her face, this girl would’ve been pretty, or at least acceptable. You suppress a sigh, bracing yourself to share company with this girl and the two shadows that follow her—

Oh dear.

Oh yes, oh yes little Enyo, those are wolves. Great black canine creatures with twitching noses and eyes shifting from place to place. You feel your heart quicken and Onei chirps in curiosity. That fear is back, that shame settles on your shoulders again. And here is this little girl (who isn’t so little), not only able to conquer a wolf, but to tame one. No, two. She tamed two wolves. You decide, right then and there, that you dislike this girl. You cannot stand it. You smile at her too, just as satiny and demure, and you do not like this girl.

They speak—to each other, ignoring you for a second, which is completely unacceptable. And they are using words you do not understand, which gets you livid, which makes your eyes widen with curiosity and interest. “Is that another language?” You are interested, truthfully, as much as you are furious. You’re always compelled to learn something new, and this is the ultimate of things, another tongue that one can speak, and still be understood. And like everything else you are ignorant to—you want it.

"How did you get your companions?” asks the boy of fire.

I simply stumbled upon mine, is the natural answer. But it tastes like ash in your mouth, to admit that you do not deserve the brilliant little bundle on your back. So you scuff your hoof and avert your eyes a little, looking for the right spices to make the story better. “His egg… it was abandoned, see,” you start, and you revel in the truth that you’re able to make tastier, “I found it in the snow, I don’t know how long it had sat cold. So I laid on it, or around it, and hoped that whatever was inside wasn’t…hadn’t…” Ah, there’s the lie now. But that’s okay. How would he know?

You smile back at Onei, who peeps just in time with affection. “And he hadn’t,” you finish grandly.

talk talk talk

Enyo

Screaming like a siren
Alive and burning brighter
I am the fire
credits

@Tae
[Image: pixelcomm4_by_sourful-d9xl8aw.png]
Pixel by Sourful!

Please tag Enyo in all posts!
All force is permitted against her!

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Is that another language?

Tae's pale but sharp gaze snapped from Nizho's and fell upon Enyo. Her posture remained the same, but something in the smokey depths of her gaze was laughing. Only it wasn't mirthful, it was venomous and triumphant. However the character of her eyes did not extended to her mandible-masking, and her lips remained politely closed for a moment.

It obviously is, her eyes glimmered condescendingly, Are you too stupid to know that? Or perhaps your ears are still too full of birthing-goo that you can't even hear properly?

"Yes." Tae said, her voice even and bordering on something like political politeness.

Her ears perked forward, listening to Nizho's question, and then at Enyo's answering of it. Tae didn't consider this little meeting to be a competition. She was older than the other girl, knew Nizho better, was far more atheltic and attractive, had two companions, one of which was a royal, oh and-

-her findings of them were so much better than, I found it in the snow and warmed it with my fat ass.

Patiently and politely Tae waited until Enyo had finished speaking, offering cold smile and a feigned eyebrow-raise of interest. Mal and Hel stared at Onei with unabashed hungry interest, which Tae made no attempt to deter.

"With Mal -" Tae looked to the older of the two canines, the pure black wolf, "Grusha and I came upon a monster terrorizing a female wolf and her litter of pups. We had told them to hide in the cave, while we distracted the monster away." Her pale gaze focused slowly on Nizho, and she found that she rather liked relying this tale to him. "Have you seen our magic combined? We can do quite interesting things." Her smile widened. "We drew the monster away, and the wolf and her litter were able to escape. She offered me this wolf hide as a thank you-" Tae indicated to the pelt resting on her haunches comfortably. "It was in that cave that we heard the pups breaking themselves from their eggs."

Her gaze moved to Enyo, losing all of its warmth in a subtle shift of her features. And that's only one of them, she thought. Had she known about Enyo's exaggerating, she might have looked even more victorious. She didn't have to lie about her conquests.

"With Hel-" At the sound of his name, the fiery hellhound's dark stare moved to Tae. "-your sister was with me, actually. There was a sea-monster near the beach. Mal had been left to drown inside of his egg, and the creature was looking to eat him for lunch."

The girl paused for a moment, studying the lines of Nizho's face. "You can imagine what mother thought of all that." She concluded with a wink in his direction, before giving Enyo a look that said, Oh? Sorry, was that more things that we know, that you don't?

"What about you, ao lajak? Will you take a companion?"

ao lajak = dark warrior

tae
We're speeding through red lights into paradise
'Cause we've no time for getting old
Mortal bodies, timeless souls
Cross your fingers, here we go
Image Credits

@Nizho

Time

Boys were so stupid when they were young, and Nizho was no exception to that.

He did not understand how blessed he was to have two girls before him, having a pissing contest between the two of them for his favor. All he cared about, all he noticed, was that he was making friends, and that he was getting closer with an already friend. A stupid, youthful smile cracked his dark lips.

The feathers on his wings ruffled with excitement as each filly told their story. His coldfire eyes were wide and bright, sparking with some sort of plan, some idea, some wonder that manifested deep in his mind. Megaera, his mother, was blessed with her bond to Gwahir. Einarr, his father, knew inside of his heart that he was destined to be bound to a zephyr of fire, a phoenix. He told Nizho that -- all great Khals have vorsa zir. Nizho understood his father's desire. His grandfather--the one Nizho was named after--was a great Khal and was bound to two zephyrs. Gaucho even had a zephyr. It only made sense for Einarr to bond with one as well.

Did Nizho want one? Coldfire eyes moved to Tae from where they had fallen while the two girls spoke. He lifted his wings some again, exposing his white-tickled sides. He snorted some at the comment of Ampere and her anti-companion ways. Nizho had heard many stories of Ampere's rage at bonding. He did not understand it. He had always thought it was something beautiful, since Megaera had explained it to him. His smile broadened. "I want to bond. I also want magic." His smile faded some, and he lifted a cloven hoof. "All of my family has magic, and I know Ave wants to find a companion." He said, eyes then turning towards Enyo. "My name is Nizho, by the way." He smiled again, the warmth and mirth wrinkling the corners of his eyes. "Our fathers share the tongue. Our mothers speak the common language of Helovia. Don't you have anything special to just your family?"

image credits 

@Tae @Enyo