the Rift

[PRIVATE] decisions made alone are often mistakes

Vu Posts: 28
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 3 (Orangemoon)
Istina

The frosted ground is beginning to thaw; warmer weather is on the horizon and a wave of eagerness ripples across my back. The clearer patches of this meadow, those free of snow, are showing signs of life. Small blades of infant grass are pushing relentlessly against the bitter cold that enveloped this unfortunate place for longer than usual. Hope glimmers in cerulean pools and lips twist into the softest of smiles; features lit in emotion not often found there. A chilled wind blows past and for a moment I consider it a warning to drop the well worn and well loved mask back into place. Under black lashes I peer around while audits pivot and dance; nostrils breathe deep. I am alone in this section as far as I can tell though there are scent trails of others nearby. I keep the neutral mask hidden away but close enough to be recalled when needed.

Emotions, oftentimes, go unexpressed.

It is truly freeing to allow myself this small pleasure and as I walk deeper into the meadow charcoal lips press back into a larger smile. Graceful legs carry me toward nothing; I have no goal or destination in mind. I simply need to think through all options presented and weigh the pros versus the cons. My brain is well trained in this regard yet I seem to find naught but struggle in this task. An offer of a home or at least a place to rest, made by a rather kind unicorn named Ciceron competes with my desire to be wherever my brother dwells though he claims to want nothing than to follow me now. Taking him from his current land is difficult as he has no doubt made it into a fine residence and  knows many there. These two options also must battle with my weakness of what is familiar. The ideas of a home, a leader to answer to and the laughable notion of “ranks” are entirely lost on me.

Words, oftentimes, go unannounced.

Grey-black hooves come to rest on the bank of a river branch and I furiously wish my brain too will rest. The upward twist of lips fades leaving a dying spark of hope in an otherwise now blank face as I fold down onto my knees. This area bears a peaceful quality and when combined with the day’s warmer sun, I begin to feel some of my tension slip blissfully away. For now, I have given no answer and truthfully have not seen Rift or Ciceron since my first night in this land…avoidance does little to ease this process but I cannot find the correct path this time. I cannot find which way will be best and the whole of my being rebels at thoughts of herd life. The wind blows harsher this time as a cerulean gaze pierces the thawing river; another warning I suppose. The only mask I can ever remember falls quickly back into place, midnight features wrapped in neutrality. This. This is why I will remain so utterly alone.  

"speech"

OOC: I'm sorry this took me so long <3

@Mauja

-All magic and force are permitted barring serious injury and/or death-
-Powerplay outside of fighting is permitted-
-Please tag in all replies-
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
[ 4000 years later I actually post... ]

He had begun to dislike this place—the Thistle Meadow had never been one of his frequent haunts, and frankly, aside from being a giant banquet for the hungry horses in summer, it was just a giant, useless piece of land making the distance between all worthwhile places longer. Want to go to the Threshold? Cross the fucking Meadow. Want to go to the Veins? Cross the fucking Meadow. Want to go up to the north? Cross parts of the fucking Meadow.

Want to go to the Thistle Meadow?
.. why the fuck would anyone want to do that?

Besides, a lot of unsavory things had happened here. He had been flirted with. Hototo had died, absorbing whatever foul magic the Moon God had thrown out. He had watched Abraham murder a dying mare. He had met Delinne here, after having killed someone identical to her; him and Psyche had split said mare from her lover in this very same place. And so, the list went on and on, until the sight of its sea of purple thistle in spring and summer made him want to set the entire thing on fire.

Maybe he should do that, once the dry heat of Tallsun set in. Just go out from the World's Edge, stand.. hm, at one edge of it; he didn't want to burn along with it, because he had no idea how that would work out with his immortal soul. But yeah. Stand there, maybe near the Throat's side of it? And just sent bird after bird to ravage the grass, until the whole thing went up in a blazing inferno.

Helovia would starve, but it seemed likely the Earth God would step in and save the precious inhabitants of his realm—and if it would be enough of a transgression against the "gift" given him by the Moon God would be interesting to see. Perhaps she'd marvel at the idiot she'd promoted to immortal and kill him on the spot.

Then again, she had claimed to "act in the best interests of Helovia", and honestly, if she hadn't been able to figure out what a loose cannon Mauja was, wasn't that on her head?

He had wended deeper into the still snow-covered meadow than he had intended. The sun was already at work melting the icy crust, though the wind blew bitterly, and Mauja raised his head and peered about. He was near one of the rivers; he could hear the water tinkling around the rocks and the broken sheet of ice. Might as well go take a drink, as he was here, anyway. And then .. then what? Go home, probably.

(Wherever the fuck 'home' is, anyway.)

Frozen hooves shuffled through the lingering snow, but once he had the river in sight, life decided to thrust another uncomfortable choice into his lap. On the other bank lay a mare—dainty, by the looks of her neatly folded slender legs—and.. did what? Sunbathed? Maybe. He didn't have any single clue, but the problem was—to acknowledge her, or not? He was sort of tired of the stupid custom to sidle up to every stranger you met and saying hi, how are you, what's your name?

His dark nostrils widened as he let out a long, heavy sigh. No, fuck that; today was a godawful day and mares sleeping on riverbanks could very well handle themselves. So, with nothing indicating he had registered her presence—simply because he had no idea how to show he was willingly ignoring her, nor did he know what good it would do to flick an ear in her direction—he came to his side of the river, stepped into it with his front feet, and lowered his black muzzle to drink from the cool spring water.

[ @Vu - apparently he's cranky today... ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here