the Rift

[OPEN] I Wanna Try Everything [Maren, apostles]

Xolani Posts: 39
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 hh :: 6 years (ages in Orangemoon)
ChaoticMelodies

She had grown used to the desert in the short weeks that she had spent upon its sands. So, too, had she grown used to the herd that she now called her own. Though she had not become well-acquainted with any besides Ilios and the sweet filly at the oasis, she was growing more confident every day in her ability to communicate in semi-effective ways with the rest of the herd. Perhaps, one day, they would even come to see her as family. She had not chosen her blood-family, but this... this place, she had chosen. She was beginning to love it, to consider it the home that she had never had. She hoped that its inhabitants would begin to see her the same way that she saw them.

On this particular morning near what she hoped would be the end of Frostfall, the watercolor mare was seeking out the herd's Diviner. Since her arrival in the Dragon's Throat, Xolani had been wondering what she would be able to contribute to earn her place amongst her new family. She could not fight (the sight of blood made her ill), so she could not offer protection. She could not heal (the sight of blood, remember?), so she could not offer healing. She was silent, allowing her to hear much that others might not, and had briefly considered gathering information; but she could not bear to bring harm to others, even indirectly, and so she could not be a spy. She could not create anything of permanence, and so she could not craft.

What she could do, and do quite well, was learn and pass on history and stories about the land. She could offer her services to the gods, could use her newly-formed magic to put their tales on display. She could offer guidance and wisdom, if she was given the chance to earn it for herself. And she she sought out Maren, hoping to adequately explain her predicament and be given the opportunity to assist in even the smallest of ways. The memory of Ampere's greeting brought hesitance to her steps, for she remembered the frown that had creased the dark mare's brow upon learning of Xolani's inability to speak. Would her disability (Gods, how she hated to call it that, it left such a bitter taste in her mouth!) make her somehow undesirable for herd life?

No, she told herself firmly. I can show them. I can prove myself. And onward she marched, determined to find her place in the Dragon's Throat.

Thoughts.

I won't give up; no, I won't give in till I reach the end and then I'll start again.

@Maren - I hope you don't mind! No rush at all, but Lani needs to figure out her life since she's an apostle!
Please tag Xolani in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Xolani? Visit her plot page here!

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

The dew-coated sand glimmered in the soon to arrive birdsong morning. Thick, puffy clouds trailed in formation above land and sea, fast, as if trying to quicken the pace of the arrival for the new season. A cloudy day. Strong winds were marching from the southeast along with it, already forging paths along the vertical tongues — erupting — flames from the diviners fire. The gold from Maren's eyes flickered from the fiery reflections as she stood around the holy place.

Perhaps it is the wind, she thought absentmindedly, referring to the adjustment to the height of the flames. Blowing a misty puff from her nose into the dusty air, the mare slowly let out a sigh. She turned her head, glanced over her shoulder and looked through the sandy haze. Framed by dust, it showed a white figure drawing closer — ...Perhaps it is something else,” she murmured to herself, perhaps just to fuel her wasteful thinking. Patterns of thought crossed as always, but lately things had been... dull. (Then again, what was she comparing to?) She had to find threads to knot together, fuel the fires of riddles within her mind, do with what she found to keep the waters of her mind clear and prepared. Besides, if she didn’t have something to murmur to herself about to let out that little bit of madness, how would she deserve being called a wise one?

She swallowed the morning slime that had shaped puddles around her tongue. The wings besides her ears shook, feathers puffing and stretching in the sea-breeze. She wasn’t sure if the mare that was approaching had meant to visit Maren, but she couldn't stop her interest from reaching her tongue. “Goodday to you, stranger,” she called as the cremello mare had gotten a bit closer, her pale skin shimmering around a brightly colored marking. “You look like you are heading somewhere,” the tiger mare noticed with a smile, eyes (as always) covered in their coat of silence. Her outlandish tunes perfectly hiding her nosiness that crawled her tongue. What fueled this mare that made her steps cross the sand with such determination?   

@Xolani <3 sorry for the lateness!
Please tag me 

Outcast
ChaoticMelodies

The girl was not used to searching for anyone in particular; in her homeland, she had been left largely to her own devices, wandering here and there, always returning to a home where she was unwanted at the end of the day. After realizing the depths of her parents' resentment, she had stopped seeking them out, preferring to be left to her own devices rather than receive their angry, disappointed looks. When they weren't irritated by her very existence, they were at each others' throats. Before long, the mute began to slip out of the family home, spending time in the marketplace, among the commoners. At least they did not stare at her in disgust as a result of her bare coat.

Shaking her head to dispel the memories, the ivory mare trudged on, peering into the morning shadows cast by the palm trees surrounding the oasis. Despite her best efforts, the Diviner she sought was nowhere to be found. A small frown creased her forehead as she paused, wading to her knees in the oasis to take a thoughtful sip of the cool liquid. As she drank, a thought occurred: perhaps the Diviner was not at to oasis. The girl had heard tell of a fire that never went out, though she had not yet been to see it for herself. She nodded to herself, as though affirming the thought to herself, and then leaped excitedly from the pool and began to trot across the sands.

If she hadn't known better, she might have thought that Maren had been expected her: as she crested a dune and caught sight of the Fire in the distance, she realized that the tiger-colored mare was waiting for her. Xolani smiled warmly as she approached, bobbing her head excitedly in a friendly, respectful greeting. Not for the first time, she worried at the reception of her so-called disability. Would the Diviner look upon her with he same disgust that she had grown so used to in her homeland? Would she send the mute away, tell her that it was impossible for her to pursue her interested in disciple-hood?

Orange excitement and anticipation danced cheerfully across her pelt, weaving a blur of shapes too quickly to discern any of them for sure. The soft blue-green hue of apprehension interrupted the prettier, lighter colors here and there, betraying the girl's nerves. As she came to a stop before the Diviner, curiously gazing upon the tiny wings behind the tiger-mare's ears, a sheepish, almost shy feeling overtook her. She felt small and insignificant as she realized that she would be unable to communicate her desires effectively. What was I thinking?

She focused with all her might on her wish to join the ranks of the apostles. Upon her coat, there grew a silhouette: a white equine, lined with orange and green, stepped towards a flickering flame. The figure walked without hesitation into the fire, which grew to encompass it without being devoured. The mare looked to Maren hopefully; perhaps her magic would display her goals in a way that the other mare would be able to decipher.

Thoughts.

I won't give up; no, I won't give in till I reach the end and then I'll start again.

@Maren - no worries and no rush at all! :D
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

The brightly gleaming patch on the girl's coat had changed to evolve like a reflection of a sunset, but into a greenish hue. Maren did not know why it had, or what it meant — or if she even was supposed to (know), but perhaps there was indeed a thought deep in the back of her mind that was aware of the fact that it had something to do with the diviner’s presence. Was the girl aware of who she was? The tiger mare could only guess, since she had yet to speak.

However, she did nod her head as she approached, accompanied by a warm smile. “Was it perhaps here you were heading to?” Maren tried again as the diviner’s fire crackled in the background, indicating its presence. The same smile still burned on her lips, still without reaching the sinister stark, yet; smoldering gold of her eyes (as it rarely did). The silence crept as a familiar friend outside of the cloud of thought; softly nudging it as if it were to ask Maren to notice the absence of a reply. However, Maren did not. From a subtle, sideway glance at the stranger’s coat she noticed that the green had developed into shades of orange. It intrigued her, more now so that the silence was simply forgotten as the colors on the mare’s coat spoke for her. What did she want? Had her hooves truly stopped because she had not merely been wandering, had been headed here from the beginning? Happy with the puzzle that the girl seemed to be applying her with for the day, Maren’s gaze now turned to glance blatantly at the changing hide of the ivory girl. A figure of a horse  was trotting amidst the colorful hues, seemingly — like she had concluded before — headed towards something. Almost a replica of what had been just before. Then a fire appeared and, to Maren’s surprise, the mare walked straight into it. There was a click in Maren’s wishful mind, which had been pressed upon for years now by the loneliness of her job.

“I would ask for your name…, but it would seem you do not speak,” she said, a questioning intriguement flowing through her words. She felt like it wasn’t simply shyness. After all, if she had been, why avert her attention to her body instead — It didn’t make sense, so she had let her words jump to conclusions. But then again… Would her communication suffice in the spiritual tasks that await her, would she be to join me in my holy quests? There was a sparkle of doubt glowing in her eyes. Then again; there was something else too, perhaps something more dangerous; longing, to not be just alone anymore in her quest. “... Well then. The gold in her eyes twinkled in the reflecting sunlight as she gave the nameless mare a warm nod. “Some time from now I will call upon you so that we may pray and call upon our Patron God, the God of the Sun, together. But you should know… If you wish to be one of my students be prepared to aid in the protection of what is our herd's religion — for those who are lost, for those that seek enlightenment — regardless the shortcomings you may or may not have.” Her smiling lips said, meaning the lack of words from her part. Yet, she felt like the vibrancy of her body-language suited her well and would perhaps even prove to be of more worth to them than she would be able to foresee.

@Xolani <3 you said no rush but errr... ; v ; This was probably not what you meant. :| (Once again forgive me please) There will be a new thread soon for all the new apostles/disciples! Feel free to pretend some time passed since now in that thread >> once again my apologies ; A ;
Please tag me 

Outcast
ChaoticMelodies

The warm smile with which the winged mare greeted her was encouraging, though shame and insecurity shadowed the brilliant orange hues of excitement on the silent equine's boat. It was foolhardy, this desire that she had to help her new herd; what would she be able to do while working in silence? She could have become a warrior, she supposed, though she would have been useless in that regard. I wasn't looking for a suicide mission. She might have made an excellent spy, what with her keen eye for body language and her (unwilling) silence. I don't want to hurt people. And too often were words used as daggers at the throat. No, she wouldn't have been a capable spy, either. Out of all the disciplines she might have chosen, something had drawn her to this. Despite her obvious shortcomings, it was all that she wanted to do.

"Was it perhaps here you were heading to?"

She nodded enthusiastically at that, her ears pricking forward and a grin lighting her face. The Diviner seemed lost in thought for a moment as she studied the watercolor that bloomed upon Xolani's hide. The silent mare waited patiently, concentrating on her desire to be of service and little else, thus tricking her magic into showing Maren exactly what she wanted. Something clicked; understanding appeared in the other mare's eyes. "I would ask for your name..." she began, and Xolani wilted slightly beneath the scrutiny. Her ears relaxed, leaning uncertainly to the side; her cheerful stance drooped, dismay appearing in the petite lines of her face.

"Well then."

Whatever the Diviner's doubts, she nodded, her golden gaze shining in the sun. Words of acceptance and warning were spoken, bringing the silent girl back to life. A smile split her features as she nodded excitedly. Whatever tasks lay ahead of her, she would embrace them. She would not let her disability hinder her from doing what she wanted.

@Maren - haha, no, it's fine! I've been really busy myself up until the past few days. ;D This is awful, btw. I'm sorry about that ;_;