the Rift

[PRIVATE] three minus one plus two [birth, eventually]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

Who might have thought that is would be with a renewed vigor and sense of confidence that Megaera would touch the sands of the Dragon's Throat again. She had gone to the veins with a worried heart, her foundation unsettled by all the things she could not control. Since her appointment as Sultana she had wavered between self-assuredness and insecurity; what had she done, after all, to deserve the position, how could she ever measure up to Gaucho, would could she ever be worthy of the Sun's faith? It seemed those were questions she could never have answered herself but now, looking back, she had realized that by their very notion that she was worthy was enough to give her the confidence to be so. Her conversation with the God of the Sun had perhaps been brief, but what more could he have given her? Who could she believe if not her God? And he believed in her.

The Sultana had not liked leaving Mesec, but she had done what she could for him now, and trusted that he would find his way home when he could. She needed to be home now, in the handful of days she had been away her pregnancy seemed to have progressed from a hill to a mointain and given her first experience in childbirth she wouldn't risk being away or being alone. She took the bridge from the Heart, finally acquiescing to Gwaihir's insistence that unassisted flight was no longer a good idea (or possible, but she was certainly not going to admit to that). He soared around her, the spear the Sun God had graced her with clutched safely in his talons. She watched him ad the fire carried her and she envied the free movement of flight "With another child you'll soon be moving plenty." quipped the eagle and Meg laughed as she touched down upon the sandy shore. Home again, she could start to look forward to the excitement the joy, that new life could bring. It has hard to imagine any room for more love when Einarr, Mordecai, Nizho and Asavvi (and Gwaihir) already made her heart so full but even from that first little kick in her womb she'd known she'd find it. 

"."
ooc::  Open on a few conditions: 1) let Einarr post first 2)the thread keeps moving change of plans :)

Megaera
there is a war inside my heart gone silent
both sides dissatisfied and somewhat violent
image credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Heaving chest of the sea
Carry both of us
Carry her, carry me

This was obviously not their first rodeo when it came to children, and Einarr had been watching carefully as the days dragged closer to the time when Megaera would be expected to birth their child. His child. Her child. His heart beat and throbbed for another strong son to carry on his lineage. Nizho was his only son now, and he lived up to all of the expectations Einarr had. His daughters, Mordecai and Asavvi, were beautiful and also living up to his expectations. But oh how glorious it would be to have another son.

He did not know it now, but fate was laughing in his white-marked face.

Tilting a massive, black wing, Einarr circled in large, slow arcs around Megaera. "Megaera! Hash yer dothrae chek asshekh?" He called out, cloven hooves hitting the sand and sending him toward her in a rolling canter. Sienna eyes raked over the woman, his newly-acquainted-with lion's tail twitching behind him. He closed the distance between them with ease, his long, clean legs trotting, walking, and then falling silent before her. He reached forward with his dark muzzle, breathing warm air into the bay's nostrils.

"Where Asavvi?" He asked, looking around for the girl. The Gladiator expected his young daughter to be with her mother, as he had not seen her in the desert for many days now. He had seen glimpses of Mordecai and Nizho training, sleeping, and grazing near the Oasis. Asavvi, on the other hoof, was supposed to be with Meg. Einarr took a step back, his tail curling around one of his hind legs. His wings folded in at his sides as he looked the Sultana in the eye curiously, ears pressed forward with a sense of alertness.

EINARR

aud is a boss

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

The mare saw the shadow cross the ground just before that felt the jolt of recognition from the soaring eagle and saw the flash of a dark shape thought his golden orbs. Dark desert-eyes lifted, a smile already painting itself over the lightly scarred canvas of her lips for she knew that she would see Einarr in the skies above. She stopped in her ungainly trek to watch as Gwaihir flew forward for a greeting and the black pegasus circled his way down toward her. “Sek, k’athjilari!” She called in response to his greeting as the stallion touched down magnificently to the warmed sands.

He reached for her as long strides brought him closer and she extended her neck to greet him in kind. “Akka yer, shekh ma shieraki anni?” she murmured, inhaling the the familiar scent of of the man and giving him her own life’s breath in return. The exchange of scents was remarkably grounding, a sure sign of being home at last with her believes and Meg let herself be comforted by it.

“Vosma adakha ajjin sash, mahrazhkem.” The leonine tail was an unexpected change; she had seen it at the meeting before her departure, but Meg had been far to preoccupied to marvel at her mates new feature. Now, she arched her neck to peer at it before returning to give him a flirtatious look. “Mezahhe.”

But Einarr it seemed, was not in the mood for flirtations and she had a swift moment of disappointment as he stepped away from her. His question about their daughter’s whereabouts took Meg rather of guard and for a moment he lips twitch like she might laugh at the joke. It was foolish—at least in her mind—that the Gladiator would think she knew; he must have just seen her arrive! But she searched her mate’s face and saw only ernest inquiry, his eyes and just moved around to look for the girl, and now he gazed and Meg, expectant and she remembered that Einarr didn’t joke, not when his stare was so direct and not about his children’s whereabouts.

Meg’s brow arched in honest confusion, and through their bond Gwaihir’s attention was again captured and he came down to rest atop her folded wings. “She is not with me. I would not have endangered her like that. Mesec needed help to control his dark magic, not pick daisies.” It was ludicrous for hime to think that she would have taken her daughter along on a road trip with a (potentially) dangerous and unpredictable beast in tow. But….But she hadn’t told Einarr that… She hadn’t explained why she had taken Mesec to the veins and now it seemed in the long days since she had left Einarr had not seen their precious girl. “Einarr.” the word demanded an answer, as in her mind began to creep the fear that something was very, very wrong. Her eyes widened, the lines of her face becoming more severe, if Einarr had chosen this as his way to start his career as a practical joker, he was going the right way for a set of badly bruised ribs. “Einarr, tell me you have seen Asavvi!” In her forceful tone, the strained worry of a plea echoed as well.

Dwarfed in her mind as she waited for the stallion's answer, the muscles in her abdomen gave a swift, sharp tug. Not long now...

"."

Megaera
image credits

@Einarr
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

The first time Meg had become a mother it had been the Earth God’s magic that had forced her body through several months’ worth of changes in a matter of seconds, she had been made a nurse mare for a child of another’s body, and her heart had followed soon enough. Her second time around, Meg had carried not one but two children to term, and given birth in a long and bloody battle. This time it, seemed would be something between the two: speed and fear all rolled in to one…. And just minutes ago she had been so very happy.

Einarr’s ominous silence had both the mare and the eagle flare in temper and in fear. Immediately, Gwahir spread his wings to take to the sky once more, rocketing upward  to cast his sharp eyes over the expanses of the Dragon’s Throat in hopes of spying his little niece. Meg’s mind tripped over itself at the rising panic, and she wanted to scream at her husband for bringer this news but could find the words. Desperately, she flung her head, black eyes searching even as her thoughts searched for ways to deny the possibility that anything could have happened to her precious girl. A few days… that’s not so very long. But her fear would not release her.

Of all her children why did it have to be Asavvi? Mordecai was grown now, independent, and more than capable… She would not have been really that surprised if Nizho had found himself on a little solo adventure, but he was bold and scrappy and fierce but Asavvi…. Meg had always worried about Asavvi. The  she was too gentle, too trusting, and it would be so unlike her to be gone this long.

Unwilling to wait for the worst, Meg turned to head back to the bridge, intent on finding her daughter but even as she started to move a contraction hit her like a ton of bricks. Not now! You can’t come now, my darlings, please! She winced, faltering in her step as the muscles in her abdomen seized powerfully. When it passed, she  started to move forward again only to find herself firmly blocked by the iron wills of both Einarr and Gwaihir. She snapped her teeth at both, taking out her futile anger even as she knew so could go no farther now. In her mind she battled with the eagle, ignoring his attempts to sooth her, furious at his refusal to leave her side. GO!” She finally shouted aloud, tears swamping her eyes as the warrior succumbed the the tidal wave of churning emotions and physical limitations combined. “Go. Find her. Please!” she whimpered at Einarr, at Gwaihir, the two she desperately needed by her side. The eagle, at least did not listen, as much as he cared for Asavvi, he remembered how his bonded had almost been lost the last time; he could not leave he now.

Labor came on Meg quickly, like a storm that rolled off the sea in a matter of minutes to obscure a sunny day. Amidst the first inklings of panic at Asavvi’s apparent disappearance, Meg had ignored the first warnings that her new children would not be kept waiting and so when the final stages came she had no time to prepare. There’s be no safe spot in the oasis for this birth, no cool cover of night to protect them now. Gwaihir circled overhead, giving what strength he could to Meg as she lay in the warm red sand, bathed in sweat as the sun beat down upon her and she brought not one but two more lives into this world. The colt came first, a perfect match to his mother’s bay coloring, and his sister came in quick succession, the color of fire and sand.

The eagle’s fears abated, it was over now, and he could feel that though Meg was exhausted, she was well. He landed on the sands and hopped forward to rest his golden head against hers. “Rest now, my Meg.” he cooed, clicking his beak at her softly “I will go. Asavvi is nearly a year old, she has a good head and a strong heart, you know this. We shall find her and all will be well, but for their sake you must rest.” His wings extended and he took to the sky again, soon out of sight as his search began. In assent, the mare gave a heavy sigh and lifted her head to look at the two tiny babes nestled against her side. She nuzzled each, breathing in the scent of their warm little bodies as if she had been starved for them. Tears of joy stained her eyes for here were two healthy, beautiful children—two more little stars for her and Einarr to cherish—but they mixed with those of sorrow, how could she be content when her little stargazer was gone? Not for long. she prayed and spoke two names worthy of stars. “Vastra… Castor…”

"."

Megaera
image credits

Permission from Time to skip/pp a bit. Tried to leave it open so Einarr can do whatever when she has time :)

@Einarr @Vastra (I'll post Castor tomorrow)
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

My first memory is of sand. Hard, gritty, sticky sand.

It felt like I was swimming in it - gone the sensation of being safe, cradled. Those were not so much memories but feelings and with each moment I spent exposed and in the sand (that I didn’t have a word for, really, but knew it must be a terrible word) those sensations were pulling further and further away from me. There was a brief, terrifying moment where I felt lonely in that gritty substance - as though I had been cast out and abandoned there.

But soon my eyes opened, rich brown eyes opening to a world that was too bright and too big and overall too much... until I found them. Another my size and two that were larger.

Instinct told me that despite the sand, despite the brightness, with these three I was still safe.

I was close to them but not as close as I wanted to be so I began to squirm, trying to figure out which way was supposed to be up, how I was supposed to get closer to them.

One, mother, nuzzled me and I felt warmth course through me at her touch and it reaffirmed those feelings of being safe, of belonging here, and I reached out to do the same to her. Only, my motions were jerky and uncoordinated even where I was lying so that I toppled forward and potentially hit brother instead of her. I squealed a little bit in indignation but as I fell forward I managed to get my forelegs beneath my body and that felt like a victory.

Slowly, carefully, I tried to continue and get the rest of my legs beneath as well - pushing on them and against that nasty sand so that I could try to stand.

It took a couple tries - each fall punctuated with a squeal and on the final attempt, I snorted (almost angrily) with the effort but finally succeeded in getting my legs beneath me.

But now that I was standing, I didn’t know what to do next.

image from flickr

Castor Posts: 17
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 h (wfg) :: Three Seasons
Laine

In later years, the memory of my birth would be a faded blur, and thank all the gods for that. Silly ninnies might coo over it “Oh it’s the most natural thing in the world! It’s magical and lovely and beautiful!”  Bullshit. Ok, I’ll give you natural, but beautiful? no way in hell. It’s gross, and sticky and uncomfortable and scary. I can’t, now thankfully will I ever, understand how it felt for mother, but I didn’t like it one damn bit.

I went from one warm thing to another, but where the first warm thing was dark and smooth and kind of woosh-y, the second was about a thousand percent less awesome. Sand. I’d come to know the word well, but now it was categorizeded in my mind as “UGHHHH!” it scratched my nose—hell, actually got IN my nose, the little grainy bastards.

All of the sudden there was something near me upon the plain of UGHHHH, though it was a thing I knew well: “The One Who Kicks!” We’d been together since who even knows how long. Now though, finally free of our confines and not forced to fight with her for space, I didn’t like being so far away from her. We were pals! Or at least we were familiarities that would be pals once we work out that concept. In opening my eyes I discover that they’re literally the coolest. Everything is bright and crazy but there’s just so MUCH to see! First, a wet-orangey-squirmy thing….OH! It’s Kicky McKickerson, I like her. And another thing…. omgomgomgomg its touching me what even is that?! Oh, a mom. She’s brown and warm and still slightly woosh-y (I don’t know what sighing or exhaustion is so cut me some slack!) and I like her too.

Kicks McGee smacks into me again and I turn my indignant muddy red eyes toward her to see what the heck she’s up to. Standing looks like more work than it’s worth, to be honest but what mad worth his salt lets his sister beat him. Up I get! Or try… It’s an arduous process. Front legs up? Check, but then I shift my focus a little to thoroughly to my back legs and no sooner do i get them straight than my front legs forget what legs are supposed to to and I fall into a gangly kind of summersault.

Well, she beat me to it. I peer, mostly upside-down and only mildly annoyed at my sister as the stands like a pro and all I can think is how I want to do it to. Withe more that a few heave-ho’s to get myself right side up again I give standing another try, and smack my ass and call me cupid if I don’t make it all the way up this time! Excited beyond belief, I look up at  my sister—what was it that the mom called her? “Vassa!” I chirp, evidently super proud of both of us and take a tottering step or two towards her before trying to gum one of her ears.

castor(Hey!)
image credit

The little ones stand before their mother, she is tired, exhausted. The frothy sweat still slicks her dusky hide and to it clings the red sands. She is painted in earth and to the Earth she prays. He, who first made her a mother is invoked again and again in the mare’s heart even as the cannot bear to speak with the thought already parched from the dry air and her own tears. Earth, hold my children safe. Earth have mercy. She opens her eyes, and sees so much to bring her joy: the colt is standing, following is sister’s example with a glorious enthusiasm. The filly is beautiful, striking as the sunset over dunes with soft brown eyes. Both are strong and happy and whole, untouched by any hurt, any sin, the purest creatures on this earth.

But Meg’s eyes lift from them, and there is nothing, and that make her heart clutch with grief. Einarr is gone, and so is Gwaihir. All at once she wished they where back at her side (to see what wonders her two new little stars were) and yet she wished to take to the sky herself and follow them in search of Asavvi. How could she not go in search of her gentle second daughter? How could she leave her two new babes? She looked at the two again, tears of frustration leaving tracks upon her face even as love shone through the watery haze. Sun give me strength, Earth, protect my children. There really was no choice to be made, she had to trust in Einarr and Gwaihir, her heart and her soul, for her body was most needed here. And so she arose.

It was a struggle, finding her feet again, but she could have to hell and back for less. The twins had made it to their feet, but here in the center of of the span of dunes they were too exposed. “Here little ones. Vastra, Castor, here to me.” the mare spoke in the soft voice reserved only for her children. She reached out with her wings, shading them from the afternoon sun and gently pulling them close, guiding them. They would eat, stretch, build a little strength and then they would make their way (slowly) to the oasis.

"."

Megaera
image credits

@Vastra
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

As I’m looking around, trying to figure out what came after this instinct and need to stand, my dark brown eyes are drawn to the form of my brother - still on the ground but now moving to join me at this new height. It wasn’t nearly as sandy up here which made it vastly preferable. That one fact seemed to make everything worth it, even if it was a little confusing. But my attention was stuck on watching with bated breath, hoping that my brother, my twin, would be standing with me soon. As it had with me, it took him a few tries but soon he was standing and I felt a rush of delight at his success - more than I had with my own.

The sound that I was learning was my name is chirped from him and I’m impressed with how he was able to make the same noises as or mother - how he could make words! And then he was moving instead of just standing there and I whicker in delight at this development. “Cas!” I respond brightly with a rush of warmth and affection as he started to gum one of my ears. Tentatively I reach out to touch his neck, prodding him curiously and softly as though checking to see whether he was real.

I almost forgot that we weren’t alone and my attention is drawn back to our mother when she spoke to us again, beckoning us and using her great wings to encourage us toward her. I spread out my own small red wings, mimicking her action and taking my first few tentative steps toward her, wobbly and shaky and I lose my balance once, falling back to that awful stand before standing back up again and continuing the journey forward.

New instincts are replacing the one to stand and the empty sensation in my belly is suddenly one that I can no longer stand. Checking to make sure that my brother was coming too, I move closer to our mother and nose about before finally finding her milk.

But I’m aware of my brother’s needs so I keep checking to defer to him and make sure that he got his turn too.

image from flickr

@Castor