the Rift

[OPEN] fame

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Long, sharp claws dug into the soft earth of the Hidden Falls after spending far too much time away. Ktulu couldn't really remember how long ago it was that she had taken her leave of the Falls, per Archibald's request, to thoroughly explore the lands newly acquired by the Helovian gods.She was tired and sore, battered and bruised and for a full night's sleep. After calling the Falls home for so long she'd forgotten how exhausting it was to constantly be looking over her shoulder for some form of danger. In some ways it was invigorating and in some ways it was exhausting.

Her trip into the new lands wasn't without results. The Blood Falls had been her first stop and it was there that she came face to face with a trio of horses from the Rift that were desperate to get back home. Their encounter had started off civil enough, but when Ktulu said that she could not help them return home it made the three agitated. The dark mare had tried to leave them behind and continue on her mission, but they refused to let her leave and she'd been forced to fight them. She'd used her magic on them and for a few moments that had been enough to scare them. But there was one who refused to just let her go and she'd been forced to fight him. It was his fault that his body now lay rotting in the sun, picked apart by vultures and other scavengers.

In the Labyrinth she did not run into any stray Rifters, but had to deal with predators that had moved into the area.Wolves had stalked her for a time before they finally made their move to attack and she'd been forced into yet another fight. After that she'd started travelling as a bear because no one in their right mind would attack a bear the size of a horse. The Flats were a lot of nothing for as far as the eye could see.

Then there was the island out in the middle of the ocean. It was, perhaps, the land that Ktulu hated the most. Fighting the current to get there was a huge pain in her ass. Once she was there she allowed her body to change back into her normal form because the island seemed empty. As she explored she found other horses on the island, but none of them posed any significant threat. She stayed until she had thoroughly explored the island then she foemught the current back to Helovia's mainland so she could finally go home.

It was her trip back home where she encountered her third fight with a rogue stallion who was gathering 'stray mares' for himself. He approached under the guise of offering protection, but Ktulu was a mare that could fend for herself. She tried to brush him off, but he was persistent. Eventually his patience wore thin and his temper got the better of him and he tried tp force her to go with him. That was when the fight started. Ktulu could have killed him. She should have, actually, but once she'd finally had enough of his bullshit and shifted back into a bear he'd taken off.

Now she shifted forms as she moved farther into the Falls and finally breathed a sigh of relief. "Eytan, go find Archibald." She said to the bear that had been by her side through the journey. Once the Dauntless spotted Eytan he would know that she had returned and had a report for him and he would find her. Until then she wanted to relax for a moment and tend to her newly acquired wounds.

"."

Credits

@Archibald @Murtagh @Lakota

Icon by Tay

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Touch my world with your fingertips and we can have forever

He was anticipating her return. Everyday he lingered on the borders a little longer after his patrols, his gold eyes sweeping coldly back and forth across the grassy knolls that surrounded their homeland. He would send Loretta out to search for her, but for weeks now Loretta would come home alone. Archibald was beginning to grow worried--for his herdmate, his Champion, his love. He knew Ktulu could handle herself, but the winter had been harsh and the horses had been desperate. Archibald had fought off a few scavengers that attempted to raid the Hidden Falls throughout the winter, and it helped him make the decision to send his spies out to gain outcasts.

He hoped on one of those scouting missions someone would find Ktulu and accompany her home. No one had.

While he had not admitted defeat, Archibald was beginning to prepare himself for the worst. He would not admit that to anyone, but Loretta shared his heart. Stepping forward, the bitch pressed her forehead into his right knee and whined lowly, tail wagging in a banner-like fashion. She will come home, she always does. She followed you to the World's Edge, after all, and we didn't even know it. Loretta sent all the waves of comfort she could to her bonded, her salmon tongue rolling over his white-touched knee. She's coming. Just wait.

Archibald stayed silent and statuesque as hiss bonded tried to comfort him. When she finished, he blinked molten eyes and lowered his great head. With soft, white lips he massaged along her spine. Their bond was amazing, Archibald knew that, but it was times like these where only Loretta knew the hurricane berating his ribcage and heart cavity that he truly understood the depth and beauty of the gift the Earth God had given him.

A twig snapped in the distance and both members of the bonded pair shot their head up, blood going cold. Archibald's eyes narrowed and Loretta's head lowered, a small snarl starting in the base of her throat. "Eytan." Archibald breathed, however, stepping forward quickly when the bear lumbered out of the forest. The small grizzly did not waste any time--he turned and began to lumber through the forest again. Loretta rocketed after him, and Archibald came barreling behind, his body shaking the earth upon his arrival. He did not know how long they ran, but it felt like forever with burs and thorns grasping at his sides and feathers.

Finally he burst through the forest and she was there, standing, ragged and tired and bloody. Archibald did not stop. His gallop turned into a purposeful walk, but the momentum stayed. He closed the distance between them, ears pressed forward with curiosity, before lowering his head to breathe warm, comforting air into her nostrils. "Tell me."

art by semper

@Ktulu

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

They had been exploring, the boy and his cub - enjoying the rush of life that Birdsong brought to the Falls. There were new smells for them to explore - particularly Sorellina, as her nose was superior to his own. Although they couldn’t speak to each other yet he felt waves of excitement and curiosity roll through their bond whenever she discovered something new. Although he was still getting used to the fact that she needed to eat flesh. It had seemed so simple when it was someone else’s companion, like Najya’s! Thankfully Aodaun had been around to help teach the little bear cub to hunt, to help her own when she was too young to do it for herself.

Sorellina was the one who caught the scent of another bear, one she didn’t know, and she started to follow the scent. All Murtagh noticed was that she was even more excited than normal and felt it coursing through him as well - all of it exploding in absolute joy when he looked ahead and saw what the trail was leading them too. A very familiar black and white mare! “Oh my GOSH SORELLINA!!” Hearing her name shouted caused the small brown and white cub to look away from the trail and ahead, recognizing who it was from Murtagh’s memories although they had never met.

His eyes pricked with the joyful tears and his heart raced - and his body was soon to follow. “PAPA!!!” Murtagh, still gangly and knobby-kneed but growing faster and taller each season, hurried forward to greet his Papa, who had been sorely missed. It didn’t occur to him to think that the proximity in which Archibald was greeting Ktulu was strange, his entire focus was on her as he skidded clumsily to a stop before intended when he saw the wounds on her. “Papa are you okay?” All thoughts of greeting Archibald, of introducing Papa to the very special latest addition to their bear family, evaporated quickly. He had seen her with wounds before - part of the job, literally - but that hardly stopped the boy from caring about his mother.

forever isn't long enough
when I'm with you

@Ktulu :D
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
belladonna, in italian a beautiful lady; in english a deadly poison.

Ktulu has returned. She is calling for Archibald. Cub is with her. Of all the hard things Aodaun had ever had to say to her, this was surely the hardest. She could feel the waves of regret, the tentativeness with which he let their consciousnesses meld to relay the words to her. He had ambled upon them in his constant circling of Murtagh's general location, and as he spoke stood on the fringes of the beautiful reunion. The snow could not hide the shock of his pale fur any longer with the turning of the seasons, but he had no real reason to hide himself from their gazes. They were family after all. 

Lakota didn't respond for many long minutes, watching through flickering images, sharing her bonded's eyes. Archibald's intimate, relieved touch. Murtagh's jumping and bouncing. Sorellina's playful fumbling. Ktulu's tired breaths and battered hide. I can do nothing for them, she responded in monotone, hooves still rooted to the earth. Unmoving. Unwilling. Aodaun's voice was a quiet sigh in her head. You still love her. Lakota snorted a bitter laugh. 

So does he.

There was no heartbreak because she had no pieces left to tarnish. There was no jealousy because her pitiful love enveloped all of them entirely. There was no contest to be won, no joy or anger to be felt on either side of the spectrum. A simple, almost peaceful void that she never bothered to crawl out of. She held his orders above - Aodaun abruptly broke apart her thoughts with a sharp jab of emotion. If he let her finish she would never recover. If she could at all with the poison in her body and her veins. Eating her, killing her in the most profoundly poetic way. 

Come. Please.

But Lakota could do nothing for her beloved. She had no magic to heal, no poison to numb. What love she could offer was already being offered by Murtagh and Archibald. 

Please, Lakota.

She turned. 

- - -

The gathering looked the same as it had been through her bear's eyes. A small bundle of herbs lay tied in her mane - her flimsy excuse for her lateness and slow gait. How do I tell her? Aodaun had no answer for her but a deep, abiding sadness. 

"Welcome home," she murmured softly as she approached, turning to rip the herbs free from her mane, chewing them to a pulp and gently smearing her muzzle across her mate's skin. There was nothing to be said that had not already been. No questions to pose that had not already been asked. Nothing she could give or do. 

Tomorrow, Aodaun.

The bear's breaking heart was the only answer she received. 

Lakota the Poisoner

veerdesigns | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

when your eyes are red and emptiness is all you know
with the darkness fed i will be your scarecrow</style>

Ktulu heard Archibald before she saw him, but when he finally crashed through the foliage she breathed another sigh of relief. She stood strong, her head raised high as he approached. Despite her resolve to appear strong and capable, hough Archibald already knew she was, her eyes slipped shut as he breathed against her. She sighed again, soaking in his presence and enjoying the brief moment of comfort before he spoke.

"Tell me."

Tell him what, though? That she had thought about him far too often while she was investigating the new lands? That she had missed him terribly while she was away? That he invaded her dreams in the brief hours that she was able to sleep? That she loved him? That she was tired and sore and wanted to sleep for a few days? Or did he simply want to know what she had found in the new lands?

But Ktulu knew the Czar and figured that he likely wanted her report on the new lands before they discussed anything else. She sighed and shifted her weight into a more comfortable position as she thought back on her scouting trip. "I investigated the Blood Falls first. I found several horses from the Rift that wanted to get back to their home, but when I told them that I couldn't help them they became ... agitated." Ktulu began. "I was forced to fight them when they attacked me. I killed one of them before the others ran off." And she felt absolutely no remorse for doing so. 

"I didn't find anyone from the Rift in the Labyrinth, but it seems as though predators have moved into the land already. I was tracked by a pack of wolves." Her head tilted as she thought about it. "They take advantage of the landscape. Its easy for them to stay hidden and someone who doesn't know their way around to get lost." She did not want to dwell on the fact that she had gotten turned around afew times while trying to navigate the labyrinth, so she moved on.

"I found very little in the Flats. The island was the biggest pain in the ass to get to" She continued on. "I did find others on the island, but they were no trouble. The biggest issues is fighting the current to get there and back. I'll keep that in mind when I assign patrols." Because she did not want to send someone weak to fight the currents.

"I ran into trouble on my way back here, though." Ktulu said. "A stallion collecting mares and offering protection." She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I had to fight him when I refused to join his harem." She should have killed him, but it was done and there was no going back.

She had only just finished giving her report when she heard "PAPA!" The voice made her turn and she blinked as she watched her son running toward her with a bear cub in tow. How long had she been gone? "Murtagh..." Eytan grunted and lumbered forward to meet the other cub, the newest addition to their family. "Yeah, I'm okay." She answered then grinned. "You finally found your cub, huh. What's her name?"

"Welcome home."

Ktulu's head turned and her body froze as she took in the form of the mare that she loved. "Kota..." She murmured the other mare's name and remained still as her wounds were tended to. After a moment, though, Ktulu sighed and nuzzled Lakota's ears. "I love you." She whispered, because after being gone for so long she needed to say it and Kota needed to hear it.

"."

Credits