the Rift

so i cover my eyes

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

It seemed forever ago that I had talked to Rhoa in the Dragon's Throat. After finding out from him that he was going to be a father I just needed some time to myself. I needed to mull over the feelings I'd started to develop for him that were so similar to what I'd felt for Dragomir. I needed to just squash it down because it was nothing but a silly crush. That was all. Just a stupid one sided crush. But even as I flew the short distance from the Throat to the other shore all I could feel was hurt and anger and confusion. All I could think about was that he was going to be a father, that he was going to have a child with a mare that he admitted to not loving. I felt terrible for her even though I didn't know her and I felt bad for the child and for myself.

I never expected that I would end up at the Threshold but I ended up there and I didn't even hesitate. I just marched over the border and out of Helova and left everything and everyone behind and I didn't even feel bad about it. After all how many times had I been left behind by my friends and family? And there was a small part of me that was hopeful that by leaving Helovia I would find Dragomir. It was a small, foolish part of myself that was also squashed down as I roamed around outside of the land that I had been born in.

I hadn't made any plans on coming back to Helovia, it just happened sort of like my leaving did.I didn't know how long I was gone and I didn't care to know because it didn't really matter. The only thing that really mattered to me was that I had finally done it. I had finally left Helovia and I had done it on my own. I didn't need Rhoa or Ivezho or even Ros to go with me. I took care of myself in unfamiliar lands and I had made it back. I just wasn't sure of what to do next. Go back to the Throat and check in with Cera and get back to making things? Go to the Falls and visit momma and Murtagh and Uncle Archi? Stay own my own and not worry about anyone else but myself?

A sigh slipped past my lips as I moved through the trees and I stopped thinking about it because I didn't know what to do. The easiest thing would be to just walk and let my legs (and fate) decide where I went, so that was what I did.

"."

I cover my face
so nobody can see
the tears that fall onto my cheeks
or the holes inside of me

aud pixel!

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

I was better. At least today, I wasn't under the shadow of utter depression and misery. Today I had taken some care to my own personal hygiene. I had bathed in the warm stream I had come across, and combed my mane in some branches I had seen. Appearance wasn't nearly as haggard. However, I still passed jutting hips and sucked rump where it had once been perfectly sculpted round, and smooth. Ribs where faintly outlined in my still shedding fur. I had lost weight in my lack of interest in the food I had. It wasn't good, for me neither Kvasir. Yet he was still strong.

Stronger than I was.

Soft breaths pushed from my nostrils as I pushed my son out of my mind. Today I would think of bringing another home. Home to the beautiful World's Edge, or not, but making a friend in the process.

As I made my way through the threshold, I passed few. Those I saw where surrounded by many others. I didn't have the strength for that just yet. Not so many creatures. Not ones that knew Rhoa. I preyed on those who where alone instead.

My patience led me to someone very alone. And quiet beautiful. She was only slightly smaller than I, with gold dashing brilliantly across her black body. She was so lovely. And I didn't know her, and she didn't know me. I put on my best smile (which was still so sad, it was pathetic.) and moved towards the beautiful hybrid mare. "Hello! Welcome to helovia. I'm Glacia of the World's Edge. I can help you if you wish it." My vocals are soft, grown into my woman body. Not naive as it once was. Sad however. It might never hold joy again. But it sounded void. Like I had a hard time trying anymore. Like I was still learning to live again. Tired as I felt, because I wasn't sure if I could learn again. But yet the blue eyes watched her red ones, trying anyways. Because I had to try. Even if it hurt and exhausted me.

"Speech goes here."

Glacia
Slow down, it's a science
Credit

@Ranjiri

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

The Threshold is a good place to overhear a few things that, hopefully, no one will be that mad about me hearing. Who talks about deep shit in a place like this? All I’ve ever heard are peoples’ names and pompous descriptions of herd values and assets, the occasional tearful “I’ve missed you!” or crossly demanded, “where have you been?!” breaking what would otherwise be a monotonous show. Besides, the trees are tall and broad, easy to slip behind, the approach of spring bringing life to the naked branches in small green splashes. The birds chirp, the deer rustle away with rabbits scurrying in the brush, a thousand small noises to cover my own across the silent, moss riddled ground. My nose and ears seek through the distraction of the wilderness, so green, so tempting in my youth (the urge to run burning strong through me), utilizing the amplified emotions I feel after the long breadth of this Frostfall and its breaking to fuel the eagerness with which I prowl.

So, it’s with some measure of surprise that one particular nearby scent draws me closer, to come to a shocked stand still in the shadow.

Is that… Glacia?

Why is she so thin?

The stranger with her is a pretty bauble in the blur of the background as I feel my eyes hone in on her, remembering her so clearly in my head as broadly pregnant. She had not been this shade of herself at all. A rarely felt concern folds my brows down as the delight of my game of Spy falls to shambles at the sight of her haggard pelt, once glistening like snow dusted obsidian, now limp and coarse, almost like the burlap satchel father had made me all those long seasons ago laying across her bones.

The shadow abandoned, I reveal myself, coming to stand alongside Glacia, all covered in the marks from my fight with Volterra, the most obvious being the thick, scabbed ridges of the wound on my right hip, where his dragon had clenched down with its insidious fangs. I wear these marks like badges, evident in the confident pace with which I enter the scene.

She said she’s from the World’s Edge just before I stepped out. Any other time, I’d ask if she’d seen my dad. All I can think right now is to ask her if she’s okay; the presence of the gold trimmed raven stills my womanly concern. I grew up with Glacia, and really owe her an apology if she’s had a dead kid or something (considering I had made fun of her for being pregnant in the first place), but I don’t know the hybrid at all. I’m not the sort of guy to go around sounding like some bleeding heart in front of strange women.

"Glacia," I greet with a nod, my tenor voice breaking ever so slightly. I gruffly clear my throat, tearing my glistening gaze from her to the stranger. I feel like I have seen her somewhere, but can’t quite place it. Maybe she’s not as new as she seems, I think.

"I’m Rikyn," I say, having lost all motivation to be the crafty master of disguises in the depressing state of the once bouncy girl next to me, "of no where, currently."

Searching your eyes for a hint or a trace of humility;
searching your eyes for the saint is an act of futility.

Image by Ghostly - Code by Tamme

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The king did not spend a great deal of time in the Threshold, but today he was glad he had decided to traverse the forest.

He found her.

His body moved quickly, canine eyes flashing images of the gold and black and crimson girl into his mind. Knees lifted and long legs extended, an earth-shaking canter carrying him forward. He moved with purpose, intention written in every bulge of his muscles. His cur appeared at his side, galloping alongside him with her salmon tongue lolling from the side of her mouth. Go they both pressed to each other, until suddenly they came to a stop. "Ranjiri." He spoke, his voice deep and thunderous as he stepped toward her, the trees parting for him and his power.

For a moment he paid no mind to the others in her presence, his golden eyes merely resting on her. She did not look like she should--she was thinner, wilder, solemn. His gaze narrowed, his chin lifting some. His face was hard, cold, chiseled handsomely from ice. To the strangers it could be intimidating--his size, his presence, his gaze--but Ranjiri would know him well enough to see the concern laced in the tightness of his jawline. Blinking, he nodded to her. Loretta's tail wagged some, curling up over her strong back. The Dauntless turned his head to greet the strangers as well, their bodies coming into his mind fully.

They were both smaller than he was--well, as everyone was that he had met in Helovia--thinner, weaker. He nodded to them each in turn, however, noticing the wildness that clung to their pelts. It was a sign of a vagabond's life. Archibald knew it well, and even though the speckled mare introduced herself as a World's Edge member, Archibald was smart enough to know that the forest would make sure their herd members did not look in such a way she did--it had been quite some time since this mare found solace within the mists. The other held some familiarity. Little did Archibald know that he was well acquainted with both of his parents. "I am Archibald the Dauntless, Czar of the Hidden Falls."

archibald & loretta
Ever since the day that I was made I've been deciding the end
And I was made of wood and stone and won't diminish or bend
So when the heavy hand of death is here to take me away
I'll be the solid grip of time, forever holding my stay

i-mi

@Ranjiri

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

I knew that the Threshold was essentially a place for members from herds to hang out and wait for newcomers to wander through so they could take them home, so I wasn't surprised when that happened to me. The mare that showed up to try and tempt me to go with her was rather ragged in her appearance and very skinny. Usually you only saw someone that skinny during Frostfall when food was scarce. Seeing her like that now made me assume that she was sick and tempted me to say 'come to the Dragon's Throat with me, one of our physicians will fix you up, but when she said her name I could feel a lump in my throat.

"Glacia. Mauja's daughter."

"Oh... you're...." I didn't know what to say, suddenly coming face to face with the mare that had Rhoa's kid. "You're ... Rhoa...." told me all about you. I could see why Rhoa had bred with her, though. Even though she was too thin and looked ragged I could still see just how pretty she could be. Thankfully another unicorn showed, one that seemed to know Glacia as well. I hadn't seen or met him before, I definitely would have remembered if I had.

"I'm Ranjiri." I finally spoke because his introduction had knocked me out of the stupor Glacia had put me in. "Artisan of the Dragon's Throat." Sorry you wasted your time on trying to recruit me.

But there was someone else that showed up and when I saw him the breath rushed out of my lungs as though I'd been kicked in the chest. "Uncle Archi." I hadn't realized just how much I'd missed my family until he showed up and it made tears sting my eyes. At that point Uncle Archi had my full attention. It was almost as if there were no one else there, like I had completely forgotten about them. I ran to him and I practically threw myself against his chest. I mean come on, he's Uncle Archi, nothing can hurt him.

"."

I cover my face
so nobody can see

@Glacia @Rikyn @Archibald

aud pixel!

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

As who I was registered to the unknown mare in front of me my smile faded. She was from here. She knew who I was, and I got the feeling she wasn't overly happy to meet me.

"Oh.. you're..."

I hadn't met the hybrid before, and for a moment I was puzzled as to how she had come to know my name.

"You're... Rhoa...

Oh. That was how. The name hits me like a brick, and my head lowered, trying to calm my frazzled nerves. Rhoa must have talked about me. Why? Why to her? Did she know? What did she know? Did she know everything? Did she know I lost one? Obviously she had to know something. Another fracture to the glass that was my already shattered heart. Stop.

Stop...

"Glacia,"

My blue eyes open and my head turns to find the voice that broke just that little bit saying my name. Rikyn. I know you. You mocked my pregnancy then, yet now you look at me with your worried eyes?

It's all to much. Rikyn introduces himself, but I don't really pay attention. I'm to withdrawn to possibly pay attention. It's all to much to handle, and I'm panicking. I felt foolish to think I could go out and do this, to handle being with the others. The worried looks, and the mentions of names of those I had let down.

One more arrives. He says the hybrids name, causing my ears to flick forward and to capture the information. Ranjiri. Her name was Ranjiri. What did she mean to Rhoa? I wonder, and I wish to ask, but my vocals refuse to work. Frozen. He introduces himself as Archibald the Dauntless, Czar of the hidden falls. Ranjiri knows him, and expresses her joy at seeing him. I watch for a moment. I feel awkward in such an exchange. Out of place, overstaying my welcome. I didn't know much she knew of Rhoa and I, nor did I want to now, or what they meant to each other, if anything. It would become clear in time. With a shaky breath I turn away, hesitating as I pass Rikyn. Should I tell him? Or at least invite him so that maybe I could try? Explain? Gently I nudge my muzzle at his shoulder. If I touched him I wasn't sure. It was an invitation to follow, if he wished of course, but other than that I nodded to the other two, and hurried on my way. I couldn't deal with the questions.

"Speech goes here."

@Rikyn @Ranjiri @Archibald

Glacia is out. Rikyn is welcome to follow her to ask questions and I'm sure Jiji and Glacia will eventually have another run in ;D

Glacia
Slow down, it's a science
Credit

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

Ranjiri (the Artisan; I file her away in my list of important acquaintances, even manage a nod that makes my throat clench and stomach lean into itself) greets me after barely managing to hold it together after seeing Glacia, but it’s not pity that lines her face, that strikes her voice. It’s… pain? And it involves some person named Rhoa.

Any other time I’d smirk, and taunt, ‘so that’s his name, huh?’ A playful shoulder nudge, maybe. But one look at my childhood friend’s drawn expression and an earful of Ranjiri’s own sorrow make their way even through my dense sensibilities. Instead, my lips twitch ever so slightly – the only way I could feel tenser was if I suddenly farted, as loud as I’d ever farted in my life.

And that fart caught on fire.

As if it wasn’t already the most awkward Threshold gathering in the universe, a fourth arrival adds a big, black cherry to the top of it all. Archibald the Dauntless, Czar of the Hidden Falls, he announces (does that mean Midas is the Czar no more?). Even though he has no horn, I can’t help but like the cool, boss man demeanor of this guy, and nod with less emotional turmoil than I had to his winged niece (though I still don’t care much for it). His name rings with history lessons; he’s an opponent of the Aurora Basin, or had been at one point in his life. He’s a warrior, old blood, a man that even mother had been wary of when she’d gone waltzing up to the neighbor’s doors, her harlequin smiles all painted in place.

Uncle Archi, Ranjiri oozes, the emotional break that had swallowed her as I’d arrived completely vanishing for a new one.

I feel Glacia as she makes her leave, figuratively, and literally; her gentle touch to my shoulder draws my golden eyes away from the tearful reunion of the two strangers. She’s right. I have no place here, with these two, all happy and a family and shit.

A different tightness grabs me. It hurts, the way being lonely and not admitting it always does. I cover that emotional weakness by clearing my throat, making a graceful bob of my crown in farewell.

"I see you’ve no need for strangers, Ranjiri," I say with a smile, "though I do hope to meet with you again in the future."

A bow is given to the Czar, the prince in me knocking the outcast brigand over the head a few times to achieve this show of respect. I want to nod is all, but I shouldn’t shame my kin; the thought of mother’s face if I were to act like a classless shunt in front of the leader of the Falls almost makes me shiver.

"And an honor to meet you, Czar Archibald."

As you see, I have to deal with a girl…

Ugh.

I make my exit, a frown having swallowed my smiles the instant I was turned about to follow Glacia.

Image by Ghostly - Code by Tamme

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The strangers did not stick around long, and Archibald was glad for that. He did not have many intentions of trying to recruit them for his herd--what a bad king, Loretta mocked--though he did nod to each of them in turn as they left.

He only cared about Ranjiri. Seeing her face, when so recently he had seen her mother's, was a breath of fresh air that the Dauntless could not describe. The words fell from her lips like liquid gold--Uncle Archi--but the Czar had always partly felt this child his own. Midas had never been the father she deserved, and through his rank in the Grey and his standing in her adult life, inwardly Archibald claimed her as his daughter. This idea of his made even more sense when one looked at the pairing he and Ktulu took part in, declaring their love for another, and the way that Lakota seemed so cold at the Constrictor's return. Ktulu was his. Ranjiri was his. They would always be his just as Circe, Callisto, Reginald, Abraham and Macaria were and would be.

His broad neck arched and he coiled himself around her, letting her fall into his strong chest. He breathed his relief in her mane, resting his chin on the tangled white crest. "Jiji." He whispered, the shortened version of her name sounding sweet on his tongue, just the same taste as when he called Macaria, Mac. Archibald did not hesitate in sharing his thoughts with her, as they embraced, and he felt her muscles relax. "Come home with me."

archibald & loretta
Ever since the day that I was made I've been deciding the end
And I was made of wood and stone and won't diminish or bend
So when the heavy hand of death is here to take me away
I'll be the solid grip of time, forever holding my stay

i-mi

@Ranjiri

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

There was nothing quite like being held by Uncle Archi. He was warm and strong and comfortable and always made me feel safe when he was around. I hadn't had that feeling of comfort and safety since I'd left Helovia and I wasn't too keen on giving it up too quickly. I sighed against Uncle Archi's neck. I probably would have stayed wrapped up in his embrace for longer if he hadn't spoken and asked me to go home with him. I knew the implications of it. Leave the Throat and join the Falls.

Leave the Dragon's Throat.

The Throat had been my home for ... forever since ... since before the Hidden Falls had become the Hidden Falls. I'd made friends there, Cera was there, Gaucho and Rhoa and Mesec, and so many others that I cared about. Could I just leave? What would they think? Would they be angry with me? Would I hurt their feelings?

But Momma was in the Falls. Momma and Uncle Archi and Murtagh and Lakota... And my dad was buried there. I pulled myself away from Uncle Archi and I stared at him, still wondering. "I..." I paused, frowning. "I don't know..." What was I supposed to say? I just needed to think about it and weigh my options, as ridiculous as that sounded. I mean my mom and my little brother were there. "I'll think about it." I finally said and that would have to do because I couldn't make a decision like that spur of the moment.

"."

I cover my face
so nobody can see

aud pixel!