the Rift

[OPEN] Sleeping where the falcons fly

Sean Posts: 12
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Angel

Heavy shutters ascend. I can’t help but admire the lush terrain as it melts into familiar knolls -- nor can my soul be leashed to quell the spark of wild excitement that heats my blood. Four yards from where we stand the solid mound ends at a sharp drop-off. Beyond and below the jagged threshold a razor reef is exposed on the down stroke of crashing waves. I stand at the end of a line, we are a clutch of yearling adolescents born in either spring or summer. We wait on the cliff with our wings half tucked. The long primaries fan back and our coverts flutter quietly in the tangy wind. Parents and neighbors have gathered behind us in a semi-circle. Chatter, music and laughter rise from the group. Young ones sing and dance to the drumbeat of a dozen feet. The atmosphere is charged with the buzz and pride that boils our blood. On my left, a boy with bright amber eyes and a milky hide, Ailbe, or Be'be as we call him… His rump tips right, butting sharply against my hip. I glance over with a smile that mirrors his nervous laugh and shinning eyes. “Is é seo an lá is fearr riamh !!” He chortles, all but dancing in place.

From the corner of my vision, I see Ma coming forward -- her lovely patchwork frame sways gently to the rhythm of distant drums. I start to turn her way...but the rebuke on her face reminds me to hold my position. Ma steps up behind me, on my right. Ailbe beams and leans away to talk with another sham – giving us a moment of privacy. I feel her breath on my short spine. Her lips and teeth scratch gently against my withers. “Coinnigh do cheann,” that voice hums gentle encouragement, “Beidh tú a dhéanamh go maith.” My heart skips around like the ripples in the tide. Today we are celebrating the festival of an chéad eitilt. One of many stepping stones in the life of a son or daughter born to these misty hills.

Our elder one comes from the collection of adults to face us. His beard and heavy wings are dappled with silver, “Sa lá atá inniu cheiliúradh linn óige,” those steel grey eyes regard our line sternly. Ma steps away and turns from me. Our smaller bodies straighten, his stoic words send a hush to fall over us all, “Agus do chéad eitilt!” This is our first ‘official’ flight. But it isn’t our first mounting -- my parents (and all the others) have been coaching us privately for months. They taught us secretly until our test runs were perfect.

A shaky breath rivets through me…and his voice drowns away…

I wake abruptly. Cuing a brown bellied robin to startle and take wing for a nearby branch. For a few blissful seconds I’m trapped in the haze of that memory; my attention travels from left to right with dumb expectations. Above me, an unblemished sky allows full access to the midday sun. She beams down brightly through a thin canopy of hollow branches. Those warm rays are a welcome caress compared to the chill of fog. Life returns to the land and new buds of green to appear on trees and shrubbery.

But...this wasn’t my home.

Leaning back, I stretch my hindfeet and wince as a sharp ache travels up the length of each leg. Howya reality. A muffled groan blossoms in the back of my throat. These thick bones are stiff, sore from travel and my muscles ache from overuse. To make things worse -- the binding around my barrel is creating a plethora of issues. The muscles in these wings are almost numb as they beg for release from their cramped hold. There are multiple raw spots that those threads have rubbed and it is becoming more than just an irritant. I reach back, straining in vain for the cord, while knowing that I wouldn’t be able to reach it.

SEAN

@Vu

Hildegunn Posts: 14
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 13.3hh :: 2 | Birdsong HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

One of Hildegunn’s priorities in the days that followed that first interaction with Vu, was to find the feather-flanked stallion who had more or less stormed from their company, in the deep, dark dead of night; she’d not caught the name after all, which had been whispered so carelessly into the thieving course of the wintry wind. Naturally however, he was not at the very forefront of her lazy mind, and concern for his welfare never once touched her thoughts. He (or something about him), apparently haunted the taller black she followed though - she had lead boldly out and away from the old redwood forest after him, and still tracked him many suns after with sound, solemn purpose. Her quiet determination was thoroughly fascinating in truth.

Shameless chocolate eyes roamed ahead to trace the leaner backside of Vu, intrigued as well, that one so svelte (who also appeared not to share her own keen fondness for regular meal breaks), found energy enough to pursue another so doggedly. Such was the belief of her primordial tribe back home in Skjoervø, that never should the groan of a gut be ignored. Truly nourishing browse upon their beloved island - that un-touched by ice and wind, was so scarce, that any shunned favour of food from the deities could lead swiftly to starvation and agonising death (it was vital to have stores of fat to draw from). Neither too did they want to insult the benevolence of their divine carers.

On and on they walked. 

Hildegunn lagged behind thoughtlessly and without any real sense of urgency to thrust her forward, for the most part enjoying the ambience; absorbing the curious phenomenon which had consumed the world around them in barely the length of time they’d been travelling. Skaði, it seemed, had at last relinquished her cruel, wintry hold on the world and the warmth thereafter, felt immediate - in fact, glistening, silvery sweat soon stained the heavy coat worn about the Fjord’s girth and thighs. Again she paused. After a brief glance to secure the path of her focused friend, lips sank eagerly to fish out infant tendrils of sugary grass concealed beneath the slushy mat of melting snow, and sour, flattened vegetation (preserved from a season some time before), by her hooves. The greedy girl’s tastebuds tingled with delight, not for one second disappointed by the decision.

As her young, mousy-hued face lifted once more, the billowy breeze offered taste of an unmistakably familiar scent; he was near, the stallion, and the round mare stirred her short, nimble legs into a brisk trot (nothing particularly energetic of course). “Vu!” she called brightly, excited, exotic tone shattering the tranquility of the open, airy atmosphere. Her gaze danced by tall rows of spindly green almost everywhere about them, but settled soon after on her friend ahead. “Han er nær, jeg kan lukte ham. Tror du han reiste ned på den måten?” Eyes hastened about the near vicinity, hunting half-heartedly for his dark mottled frame (the clash of dim colours which had been noted through the darkness prior), before wandering at last down a close, curious laneway - one hedged oddly on both sides by the same towering trees. Never had she seen a forest like it. Hildegunn waited unambitiously for the other to lead, seizing opportunity again to scout for new spring shoots. 

Cheeky me, buahaha! Always happy to change things to suit... @Vu & @Sean

Vu Posts: 28
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3 :: 3 (Orangemoon)
Istina

I turn to check on my companion, ever present behind me as we search for the unnamed who fled our presence during the worst of the extended Frostfall. For the first several days tracking him was blissfully easy due to the snow he left impressions on, but as the weather shifted to allow the sun its turn to play it became difficult. The language barrier between Hildegunn and I only complicated matters as I could not ask her thoughts on giving up the search…but I would not trade her faithful company for anything. All I have ever known is how to be alone while pretending it does not affect me and searching, tracking, my brother Rift. To have the compact, lovely mare as a companion is a first and though I wonder why she pursues this stallion with me, I am beginning to count her as a friend. Friend.. I think the word before whispering it to the warm air, tasting the foreign word, “Friend.”

Blackened peaks twitch back to catch the sound of fading steps as Hildegunn slows.

Relentless in my endeavor to locate the confused man I realize I may have pushed too hard with too little rest and sustenance. A singular goal filled my thoughts leaving the absence of all else save the constant checks to assure my friend’s safety. Endurance is a well documented trait of my desert heritage, something I easily forgot the cold-crafted Hildegunn does not possess. There is a reason for her stockier build versus my narrow one and dark lids drift closed in troubled shame. Graceful legs slow to match the pace of the one behind me before coming to a complete stop just out of her sight. The absence of sound from her direction tells me she has decided to pause and I, in my guilt, stop as well. Shifting so I face the area she stopped in eyes scan the area ever on the watch for danger, strangers and an unnamed chimera.

It is during this scan I begin to despair fearing a loss of trail and the light in a blue-gray gaze dims.

My attention is ripped from the emerald forest to the now rumbling path as Hildegunn’s familiar steps call it there. The sound of my name from excited lips brings this melancholic form to meet with her before she reaches me. Quick to continue she speaks in the tongue I have scarcely dented but I cannot miss the word “han” when it falls from her mouth a second time. Han…he There is no other I know of that would bring such excitement to the mare’s voice except the one we seek. Eagerly, as hope crashes against reinforced barriers, I softly reply. “Han er her?” Hoping the words are correct in my rushed state I join her shifting gaze before eyes catch the sight of him. Seeking the mare’s  cocoa gaze I find her once more on the prowl for breakfast (or lunch? I have not kept track of time, it may even be dinner)

“Hildegunn!” my turn to nearly shout as charcoal limbs move to where the beast stands attempting to remove the band circling his midsection.

Hesitant steps bring me within range of his reach as relief for his survival begins to fall away upon review of raw, torn flesh where that infernal band lay. I do not need to wonder why he attempts to grab it and quietly I breathe out, “Chimera, would you like some help?” Too late, I realize I called him by the name I gave him when he failed to introduce himself those many nights ago. Delicate lips twitch into a small smile at this even while an indifferent mask struggles to drop into place. Mental fingers take this moment of indecision and stretch toward that darkened room where all emotion is locked away. The little girl of my memories screams, begging me to follow through with the small steps I begun to take toward regaining all I lost; in essence the entirety of myself.

Mental fingers fervently grasp at the wooden barrier, finding purchase on a loosened plank and beginning to tug before I quickly regain that ever present control.

"speech"

OOC:haha you know I don't mind powerplaying and you're right, Vu would not stop for many food breaks. XD  

-All magic and force are permitted barring serious injury and/or death-
-Powerplay outside of fighting is permitted-
-Please tag in all replies-

Angel
The blasted cord digs just out of reach and no matter how hard these lips pucker, the ivories gashing – I’m denied the privilege to snag it and loosen that painful knot. I’d already come to the conclusion (formed on past experience) that straining for the unreachable is heedless...which only left one logical choice. Abandon trying. Sadly, the determination that moves me is bull-headed to a fault. Subtly the air currents alter their course, sending a red flag musk to nip at my attention. That savory fragrance tightens my sore muscles and surges my blood to race beneath this flesh coat. It couldn't be. Despite the natural rejection that sooths me to ignore the sign, their memory -- that insane, dream-like evening replays in my mind. I shake my head, a wild spray of dirty hairs spur me gently across the face. Nostrils flare apart, sucking deep. When Vu's sudden cry lifts into the air, my vexing predicament is forgotten. I knew before she came into view. The folds of my throat compress until my breath is strangled. Eyes and ears jolt over to the unseen pair in one motion  – though both senses are skeptical (bordering disbelief) until the wingless duo shuffle past that thicket trail of hollow twigs. 

The aspiring deadpan of a woman appears, with a foreign shadow in tow.

My tongue prys itself from the figurative ground and recovers a bit of cheek, "Crikey...imagine that. What brought you about?" I've obviously no talent in masking the astonishment that leaks into my voice. This crown shifts forefront to regard them, cuing a perfectly numb stupor to settle on my face. The memory of our parting words rise to haunt me, bringing an uninvited flush of heat to both cheeks. When I walked away…there was never a moment of consideration that we would be standing face to face again anytime soon. If ever. Stunned lilacs study her veiled expression with a mix of uncertainty and vexation; my sore muscles ache in anticipation for that delicate snout to part with sarcasm dripping from her tongue like poison. Internally, I’m suspended – prepping myself for her scorn. But when Vu speaks, those words land softly; with no hint of sore humor. She is concerned...about me? Had her attention shifted elsewhere, I might've been tempted to glance away in search of the one called, Chimera. But there was no other fool standing before her scrutiny. Temples furrow slightly, confusion replaces the dumbstruck haze that fogs me. Why is she--or rather...why are THEY here? Irises narrow, studying the greyblue ring that guards Vu like a shield. My long, trail worn banner lifts to flick mindlessly at my heels. The silence between us is stagnant, baited. Amethysts flick momentarily to the one called, Hildegunn.

Her question still bounces around in my frontal lobe, awaiting a response. Agreeing to accept help would mean a release from physical discomfort... but it also signified a choice...and I'd given a good deal of thought toward that. My subconscious peeks over his wall of confinement, urging a response "actually," I admit, "...you can," the admission is whispered under the next breath. I've circled for days to no avail, without a path to guide me -- what was the point of this discipline? I turn in slow circle until my barrel, the biting rope and dark feathers are exposed. Chocolate shutters slide to half mast, cloaking the unease that sits behind my eyes.

SEAN

Adoptable

As Vu launched towards their presumably unknowing quarry, sooty lips and pearly-white teeth worked in perfect unison to gather quickly and artfully a generous helping of the new grass into her mouth. What might have appeared to the undiscerning eye to be churned slush and part-rotten mulch, quickly became a delectable meal that only served to excite her gluttonous appetite more. Given the rising temperature of the day, and a sudden disinclination to divert her attention to anywhere other than the earth, Hildegunn continued on in much the same manner - heeding the words exchanged with very slim interest..

Never through her upbringing on the wintry archipelago back north, had the little round mare witnessed such a visible turn in weather - warmth so unexpectedly dense that she felt the need to lean a little harder into every step; sunlight so loud, so bountiful, that she was reminded of Skjoervø’s teeming waterfalls at the end of many thawing rivers. The foreigner could not deny its effect, even if she wore it alone. It was as stunning as it was exhausting, and after the journey just taken from the timber threshold, young Hildegunn felt rather uninspired to venture much further. Her grey skin, forever buried beneath thick-thermals, purged fluid at a great rate of knots and the soft silvery dampness thereon, soon looked a lot more like running rivulets down each leg. So too did her thick pink tongue lap at smoky lips (whenever they weren’t nibbling), cleansing the constant dribble as it poured from her puffing nostrils - allergy was a bother she’d not before known.

At about that time she began to notice the lack of moisture in her rather parched throat.

The understanding between she and Vu was another small victory; a second fracture in the vastly overwhelming, seemingly insurmountable wall which was their frustratingly unalike languages. Chewing steadily, Hildegunn’s sandy face lifted at last to acknowledge her companions, and she swallowed hard a final succulent mouthful before stepping forward casually to join them. Her wandering gaze, quickly discovered the (afore missed) array of interwoven brown, black and white encasing him - she thought with a fond smile, like the bedraggled wild-forests of her home. He was pleasing to behold make no mistake, and even as she halted by the taller girl, the little mare let herself inspect him properly; without the concealment of midnight’s shadow.

Twin ears, pricked as always listen as he speaks, but without any way of unravelling his tongue she settles herself one again to observe and take notes - and to watch with mild amusement the flutter of small birdlife returning to the budding twigs overhead.

Outcast
Istina

I doubt I will ever know the reason why I felt such a desire to ensure this chimera’s safety those dreary weeks ago but I do know that it became a small adventure for the lost girl in my head. Even now I sense the child I was pushing stubbornly against the crate I shoved her into just eight months into my existence; the night my mother left. This journey with Hildegunn forces me to drop the neutrality worn as a shield every day just so we can communicate through gestures and expressions. The child inside nearly screams in frustration when the sun sets, our efforts still and the façade erects itself back into place. Admittedly it is growing increasingly difficult to easily push it back to the forefront and that is something I will need to face..but for now, I remain committed to these small measures.

Pitch-black lips tilt upward in the slightest and rarest traces of a smile.

His accented chords sing to my ears and I nearly chuckle knowing it must be surprising to see Hildegunn and myself again. Should I tell him? I ponder the possible outcomes of revealing our mission to recover his presence but quickly realize the risks outweigh the benefits as far as my mind can see. Cerulean eyes turn to my companion as she joins us, eyes widening a fraction at her current state. A sibling suffers from the allergies that also appear to plague her a surge of affection and concern warms my heart. We will have to seek out water for the Frostfall meant mare to cool off and ease what symptoms she can. Eyes shift and land on the nameless once more in time to see hints of confusion constrict his temples. Unsure as to the cause I can only stare back into his lilacs as they bore into me...though my gaze is far less penetrating.

A darkened mask solidifies against unspoken inquiry as cerulean eyes dart away.

An internal audit quickly suggests that perhaps I am perceiving his gaze as more than what it truly is and internally I squirm at the thought he may know we tracked him. My eyes find his as charcoal lips part to form a semblance of response and possibly an excuse for what some may deem stalking. Breath stops before it can be expelled in speech at his soft words. Shock lines my face for a moment, he appears such a proud beast, but swiftly I recover and morph my features into a passable version of politeness. I never expected to hear him wish for assistance, not after the careless words he threw at the end of our first encounter. “We-no I- needed to know.” Quiet voice leaks out as I step to his proffered side. It is not fair to include Hildegunn in my obsession as she merely followed and put up with my military-like march. I owe her for putting up with this. Inky lips part to reveal ivories as they close on the cord and use a combined chewing and tugging method to free his previously unseen wings.

While ivories pull and wrest a midnight mask lies on the floor baring a lost girl for the entire world to see.

"speech"

OOC: FREE WINGS.   

Angel

My splayed nostrils widen subtly, encouraging these thick lungs to suck serrated gulps of fragrant air when Vu scoots closer. She is baffling at a distance -- but up close...her scent and physical presence stirs something slumbering within me. Grateful for any distraction, my subconscious focuses on the explanation she offers for this unexpected interaction. Though it would seem Vu is clambering to sooth my bewilderment, her clarification only serves to entice further disorientation. Puzzlement is habit that grows increasingly exhausting. I wonder why this wingless granite has me continuously scurrying for balance. What did she have to know? One discouraged ear draws back against the roof of my head, I’m struggling not to be dubious of them both, “Why waste worry on a complete stranger?” The question comes more sarcastic than intended, doubtlessly obtuse...but it is an honest one.

Other unanswered/unspoken questions freeze in their tracks when her aromatic breath washes my feathers with unexpected warmth; the path those dark lips take send the closest nerve endings to spark and crackle. I unwittingly stiffen while she works, absently constricting more than one gruff breathe. Abruptly the pain around my midsection tapers off, granting a sample of sour relief. Ivory molars grind in the back of my mouth; I slowly ease down these muscles and exhale. That's when the blasted rope falls away. Liberation sweeps through me and their foreign company slips from my concern. Those pinions ache for the freedom to rustle apart, I move them slightly so not to bump into anything. Those cramped muscles cry in joy – even though our unchaining is bittersweet. As a creature of sensation, I’m lost in this moment. Shutters pinch shut, testing the tendons as they strain further apart in sluggish rapture.

Eyelids crease open, they flit to the sandy girl, then to Vu. “Go raibh maith agat,” my subconscious basks in the afterglow, warbling his appreciation in the common tongue. She won't understand. The stern ring encircling my pupil softens, “That bloody bind was horrible.” Forelegs shuffle me from their circle, granting a little distance for safe unfurling. These creaking tendons are numb and tingling, they act slow to broaden on command. I wince, leaning into the stretch; after a few moments the sore sensation dims, sweet savor follows. A slight breeze ruffles between my feathers. By standing stark still, I'm slowly allowing those underused muscles to acclimate. Irises solidify, veering heavenward with renewed sharpness. Since being cut loose, I’ve avoided looking upon the woven cord that lay in a discarded mound behind me. It was useless now. “My given name is, Sean.” I inwardly shrug against the knots that form in the back of my throat, “You called this place…” words pause as my scrambled brain recollects itself and attempts to get the pronunciation of that garbled memory in order, “Hell’ova?” Orbs slide to Vu, wordlessly searching for confirmation or correction, "Have you heard of Éireann?"

SEAN

Adoptable

It was a lone, colourful bird sitting apart from his kin that attracted her whole attention, pulling her clear at last from the warbling conversation she could not understand - it seemed not to require her involvement much anyway. The tiny creature wore a burning red cloak atop her breast of drab-grey. Beady black eyes, nestled against a rich, auburn feather-mask, glinted and shone in the golden sunlight as it fell in lazy shafts through the patchy canopy above. She was not as lovely as the ostentatious males who flirted in the branches around her; they flicked long, forked tails, fluttered and fanned dazzling metallic-black wings; though she seemed, to their loud discontent, not fancy their show. Theirs was a world Hildegunn scarcely understood. Could hardly relate to for more reasons than one.

For a moment her eyes drifted by the chatting pair - the glossy black with her startling sapphire eyes, starlight flecked exquisitely between her finely narrowed hips, and the painted, chimera stallion with luxuriously long locks curtained about his brawny shoulders; powerful, poised haunches and a superfluous, lavish coat of silky feathers skirting his waist; they were not so different to the twittering, flittering birds. Tawny skin flinched as she then considered herself in a rare and fleeting second of introspection. Hildegunn and her family looked all rather alike. Theirs was a pure and almost primordial line in which one or two variations in colour existed - slightly lighter or darker, nothing more fancy at all; so too did they share the same build, frame, short and meaty, designed solely for the purpose of surviving wild Skjoervø.

There was no more complexity to her placid personality then there was to her matted, overgrown pelt.

At last the little hen’s interest seemed to peak. With a face skewed left and the eye opposite fixed to one suitor above (they all looked uncannily the same to the watching horse), the bird began her own courtship waltz. Bright and piercing was the rousing chorus of their impulsive lust combined, and young Hildegunn coyly diverted her eyes down towards the familiarity of shadow flanked earth below.

With little desire to strike out by herself again after finally arriving in Vu’s company, (any company), there had been little choice but to pursue the irritable, violet-eyed beast. It had been neither a positive or negative motion; she was passive by nature, unsuspecting, and certainly too lazy to challenge ideals. And so it was that the small Fjord returned her concentration to the rambling conversation at hand - just in time too it seemed, for her friend was reaching with snapping teeth to seize her quarry. Hildegunn choked as a bubble of air inhaled, stuck fast in her windpipe. She almost cried out, but soon noticed the lack of animosity between her friends, their ‘cool, calm, collection', and quickly that bubble came loose. Within minutes, the lean appaloosa had chewed through a bind holding down that blanket of strange quills, though only the cord fell free to the floor.

Undeniably puzzled, the stout girl could not drag her eyes from the limp snake, vine, whatever implement it was - apparently previously unnoticed. While he waffled and fidgeted off to the side, Hildegunn remained characteristically oblivious, again distracted, shuffling nearer to his enslaver. With nostrils pumping suspiciously and twin ears twirling with instinctive apprehension, her dark face lowered to investigate; thoughts not for a moment dwelling on the consequence of it coming suddenly back to life. It never moved and she was almost certain it wore not the scaly skin of snake, so soon enough she lifted her nose away and turned to find her companions. It was then that the girl realised that he too bore bird’s wings (like the speckled girl in the forest); what she had presumed naturally to be some kind of extra insulation, had become instead weird added appendages.

With a preoccupied snort and firm distance between them both, Hildegun set herself once more to the task of trying to unravel what Vu and the decorated male were saying - it was fairly pointless to contribute, she had by then realised. 

@Sean & @Vu

Outcast
Istina

I hear the birds calling out in their love language during their twisting dances but for once, clear eyes do not turn excitedly to them. All my life winged creatures have fascinated me but the idea of uncovering previously hidden wings on this chimera intrigues me more than even the birds…the birds whom the majority of my life I have conversed with. His brusque, perhaps harsh, words reach out to me and to my shame I flinch a hairsbreadth away and ignore the question. Fear that his pride may chafe the way this horrible cord does imprisons my tongue as focus is forced to the task. As the cord begins to fray my excitement over his status as a pegasus  begins to grow and obsessively ordered thoughts begin to fall to the floor of my brain. Just one touch…a single feather.

Cerulean eyes gleam in ardent desire to stroke newfound feathers with darkened lips.

I begin to scramble as lips tempt all known reason and stretch over the cord stopping millimeters from a freed feather. Lids slide closed even as my mouth is dragged back to its task and ivories resume gnawing until as last I feel it give and slide down. Indolently hooves carry my slender frame a few steps away to the lost girl’s bitter disappointment. I can see her face, a younger version of mine, as she chokes back a sob and never before have I felt so thoroughly broken. Chest tightens uncomfortably for the first time in too long to measure; charcoal feet slide further away. Eyes turn to Hildegunn in barely concealed uncertainty but she appears to be so intent on her examination of the now ruined binding I doubt she notices. Thankfully the stallion’s eyes seem to remain closed while curtains are drawn over the room where the broken girl cries.

Auds prick forward as the lilting language flows into a tattered brain.

Pitch-black head dips down in agreement, features carefully masked in the life-saving neutrality I wear so frequently. I watch as he moves from our group to stretch out those gloriously bird-like wings and as he does so my feet slide forward a fraction involuntarily; a slight spark returning to now clouded eyes. He calls out announcing his name Sean and posing a question. Before I respond to his jumbled pronunciation of Helovia I look at Hildegunn and speak, “Hildegunn” to draw her attention. Gesturing with a half-socked leg I continue, “This is Sean” and lips curl upward in a slight smile enjoying the sound of his name on my tongue. The nameless is now named. Cerulean gaze returns to Sean and the barely formed smile grows at the thought of saying his name a second time. “It is nice to finally know your name. As for this land, it is called Helovia.” I stop here for a breath and to sort through the files in my mind of all the locations I have been to or at least heard of. “I have not heard of it. Is that where you are from, Sean?” A small mental thrill at the name rolling off a pink tongue.

Charcoal hooves step toward him as sparked eyes peer markedly at three-hued wings and the sobs of a broken girl ease into silent admiration.

Just one touch…a single feather…

"speech"

OOC:   

Angel

I politely tail Vu’s gesture, her introduction sends a cue for the wild carline to become something more than a simple ornament in the tangled, hollow backdrop. Thus far, the third member of our party has sat pretty on the back burner; though it isn’t in my hard-nose agenda to neglect her. She is seemingly gifted with a candid impartial, and smallish stature – a flower that pales in the glare of loud distraction. My passive scrutiny skips across her tawny features; I note the tuffs of creamy hide poking through that fuzzy winter shawl she bore. I wonder for an instant what the mysterious foreigner would say if her quiet heed wasn’t forced due to cultural differences. One caramel ear tugs back. The concept of foreigners has always been something told from the viewpoint of a historian. Generations ago, our ancestors came from alien lands – they built their homes on the hills and mountains of rich country side…

Persuasion pulls me from mulling and summons a bemused snort to puff free in response to Vu’s correction. I gander her way, working internally to curb my tongue until she finishes speaking. Aching pinions descend partially, “Aye,” my lips part, releasing the word in an undertow of disquiet. Home…the reality amid a dream. Simultaneously, my subconscious isn’t paying attention to the uncertainty that churns within me like a mushrooming storm – instead he is watching Vu, the inch worm. I yank him into focus by taking a purposeful sidestep away from them. The tips of my feathers rustle in the light breeze and shadow the faded turf. A dull smile skitters partway up my right cheek, “Be right back, lassies,” and without another word, these wispy forelegs pull me into a fullout sprint. A familiar pocket of air gathers beneath my outstretched wings. The first down-stroke sends a burst of sharp pain shooting through those tingling wing joints. My face distorts into a grimace and layers of crinkles form on my snout. “Argh!”

Given the flat terrain and scratchy flora, it takes double the taunt blows before at last...the ground disappears. With all muscles fuming from those impromptu demands, I climb awkwardly into the sky. The stiff upstrokes make me want to blanch, but once these wings are clear of earthly hindrance, that sweet sensation of a gale whisking by is...like an overdue embrace from a friend or lover. I circle tightly, drawing myself higher. Only when the rising air currents give me permission to glide do I look out across the narrowing landscape. At first, I naturally focus on finding that cobbled road -- previous knowledge left an impression that it was large enough to leave a noticeable mark. But as my eyes trace one horizon after another…dread begins to race my blood and pool in the back of my throat.

Directly north, another sparse canopy sits – and beyond them, mountains rise above the foothills. I study their tallest lines intently, but only feel disappointment throwing more weight on me. There is nothing I recognize. The west declines into yet another grove; this one is much thicker than the one before. When at last I lean south, my wings are working hard once more to keep me adrift. The trees grow thin and the land is pale on the horizon. My brow constricts and the tightness in my chest grows – this wasn’t Éireann.

I lean forward, thrashing hard and breathing even harder. The ground rises to meet me, and though I’ve been an aviator for a full year, my landing is rough and graceless. Forelimbs shrink into the ground, nearly buckling as I stumble into a canter and stop. Sunlight spills across the shallow meadow, accenting a calico trail of sweat that flecks my underarms and groin. My walk back to them is a slow one. “Your right,” vocals grate when we are near enough to speak, I drag another breath and add, “This isn’t Éireann...” at last…a semblance of forced acknowledgement would caress her ears. There is nothing to gain from her accuracy aside from the powerful wave of nausea which sits thickly on my belly. Temples furrow in pent frustration and vulnerable bewilderment, both of which continue to have me scrambling for a solution. How…?

“I don’t understand…” A riddled admission springs from the pit of me, offering a glimpse into the vortex of doubt and bafflement. They couldn’t understand either. “C-ca…” amethyst stones sink, they drill new figurative holes into the ground, “I can’t remember…” It had been an assumption that I’d merely trekked slightly off course. Since that shadowed part of my mind couldn’t produce feedback to verify or deny the assumption, it was only natural to cling to reasonable theories rather than unbelievable facts. “This is all arseways,” ice drips from me, but the chill is directed toward myself, “I don’t understand how I came to be here.” That faint ember of hope fades into the darkness. I’d been foolish enough to scheme...and lost.

SEAN

Adoptable

There was a mad fluttering of tiny wings ascending still further, higher into the leafy green mesh of canopy overhead, yet this time little Hildegunn was more than occupied. Her bright inquisitive eyes were set upon the intuitive expression dressing the fine, chiselled features of the black; Vu was smiling as she gestured towards their peculiar companion, 'Sean'. Though shrewd she was not, the small, stout mare understood well enough that her friend was introducing the pair (hence the mention of her own name seconds before), and her soft face lifted into an all encompassing grin. "Ja, Sean. Hallo," she responded simply and cheerfully - enjoying too the sudden shift in her swarthy friend’s mood. He gestured also in what appeared to be a pleasantly cordial approach (at last), though still held his element of mystery in her stretched mind, and his eccentricity; lavish feather’s gleaming in the grace of the good sun.

Her company continued their conversation in much the same way they had always - a little less tension, still the same rambling nonsense. There were a few words repeated here and there which struck Hildegunn’s fancy; Helovia, was one, and filler words presumably like it and is, seemed to be used over and over. She couldn’t place their context, though practiced their sound all the same beneath silent breath. There was no doubting the queer nature of this land. It was such a stark contrast against everything she had ever believed - every comfort ever known, but the little fjord was (casually) excited about the direction this life had taken. How she would have loved to share it with her family. Her round barrel expanded then before a loud, profound sigh burst from its midst; perhaps once they had settled somewhere, she could venture again to the path which had found her here in the first place. Diligently she held onto hope that her brother would discover it, or already had, just as she had done many weeks before.

Sean moved suddenly, slipped sidewards, and spoke fleetingly through a half-smile (that looked most out of place on the face which had seldom seemed warm) before slipping away from their spot at a sprint. It was an interesting, if not baffling turn of events and with a glazed, disbelieving look falling across tanned features, Hildegunn turned to Vu. “Sean?” she hummed disappointedly, unsure just what had turned his attention so bluntly from their companionship. With eyes agape and reasonably stunned, the little horse watched as the stallion took flight - a spectacular sight to behold, and one she compared quickly to a fish striding along earth’s plane. Indeed he seemed like barely a leaf on the breast of pale wind as he circled higher, and she shifted awkwardly, uncomfortably beneath the turn of his hefty shadow as he sailed almost serenely above.

Much like that fish out of water, Sean soon fell, or floundered back down to ground-level; back to join those apparently still bound by the chains of fond gravity. There appeared to be new stress throughout him however, seething like the surface of the sea, wrought through brawn there beneath his murky skin as it rippled in the glow of merry sunlight. Hildegunn saw it swiftly with a kind eye and moved for the first time to tend him, to try to sooth a worry she was yet to understand. “Det vil være i orden Sean, vil du se. Du, Vu og jeg, kan vi se opp for hverandre - hjelpe hverandre.” It was a pointless ambition to console him with words she knew, but laced with compassion risen from her throbbing heart, the little horse hoped he might recognise her meaning.

Outcast
Istina

Oh to take flight as birds so often do…

I know he is speaking in my direction but all I can do is watch as a memory rolls across my mind’s eye; though it is hazy through the lens of youth. One of my sisters, Reverie, and I are roaming around in the area our mother marked as safe for us to play in. I cannot be certain but it must have been at least springtime if not summer because I can still recall the sun’s warmth from that day. Reverie! Look over here! This sibling often indulged my whimsical nature and came to my side to peer down at a small red-breasted creature laying perfectly still on the ground. What’s the matter with it? A tiny black hoof gently prods at it as Reverie whispers the truth of its state; it is dead, her voice somber. My slim form visibly droops as downcast eyes fill with tears and yet before a tear can fall to the earth the creature stirs and peers up at its audience before sluggishly darting into the skies. With widened eyes I squealed in delightful fascination and my sister informed it that the bird must have been stunned. Bird… and thus a love for birds grew in my child’s heart as I eagerly soaked up all known knowledge on them from my family.

Cerulean eyes brighten as a mask falls to the side for a broken moment in time.

Loose dirt and sticks shaking draw my focus back in time to see Sean soar into the sky much like the bird from my memory; sluggish but determined. My gaze tracks him through the overhang for as long as possible, pure delight radiating from blackened features until I can no longer see his chimera form. Hildegunn’s soft voice sends my attention her way and I quickly speak to reassure; though she may not understand, she hopefully at least recognizes my tone is not one of distress or concern. “He is coming back.” Excited eyes seek out hers and I continue, “His wings are magnificent, Hildegunn, are they not?” I desperately wish we could communicate freely but the road to mutual understand is a slow, unpaved, journey…I know someday though our vocabularies will catch up to one another.

Lips curl upward in a rare effortless smile as eyes train themselves back to the sky.

At that moment I watch Sean circle back to return to our group and anxiously watch for the grace that seems to permeate from all winged creatures as they descend. I am hard-pressed to keep my lips clamped shut and the laughter at bay as I am humorously disappointed by his landing. What can only be felt as his own disappointment to me while he speaks cracks an already tattered heart. I take a step closer to him. “Oh Sean, I am sorry to be the one to tell you.” I very nearly continue with an inquiry to see if he is all right but I stop myself…how could anyone be consider well under these circumstances? Even I can relate on some level as I feel lost the majority of the time; unwanted and alone, so completely alone. Hildegunn’s voice drifts over me and I pick up on a few words that I have learned in my time with the sandy mare. Du..you….hjelpe…helping I do not quite understand what she is attempting to convey but even a blind man could tell by her sweet pitch she means only the best for the defeated stallion. I nod in her direction not doubting for even a moment that I would agree with her if I understood. “Is there anything you can remember about your journey?” Inky head swivels back to Sean, eyes far less animated than before.

Weary heart beats sadly as a darkened nose is offered to the chimera.

"speech"

OOC: