the Rift

[OPEN] you gotta hold on

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks

Zero didn't want to go home. Not yet. Home was too hard, too bright and unyielding. It burned with the truth of the matter: that Ma was gone, gone somewhere else where he wouldn't find her, and he had been left behind.

And when he got home and found it just like he expected, barren and full of people who were not Ma, it would be another nail in the coffin of his misery. Because a little part of him still hoped that once he got to the desert she would be there waiting, a blue bolt of lightning on the golden sands. And that part, he knew, was wrong.

Zero couldn't bear the thought of going somewhere he knew someone he loved was not, so he made the only logical choice: he turned north, where he knew someone he loved was. It was a long journey but he made it in silence, brown body pulled tight in upon itself, metal side glittering as the sun slowly sank down beneath the lip of the world. Ma had told him a story about the Sun, once, about where he went when he disappeared and yielded the world to the moon, but the lighting boy couldn't remember it now- so he decided to make up his own. It involved a whale, and a dragon, and maybe a princess who was really a thief and stole the sun until a brave knight came and challenged for it back and he was accompanied by a fish-

No, a lion-

No, a kangaroo-

No a, uh-

A frustrated scream ripped through the hills, and the boy breathed heavily, angrily, because it just wasn't good enough and Ma could do it better but she couldn't because she wasn't here because she just left.

He stopped, sides heaving, and for a few minutes just stood. Then sunbeam eyes opened and the boy looked around, confusion joining aggravation on his face. Because even though he was definitely in the Foothills... well, really, he didn't know where he was outside of that.

The night was cold, and terribly dark, which made it all the more miraculous that he found his way at all. Zero peered through the (familiar? no?) trees, suddenly realizing the stupidity of his plan. Despite his prior visit the oft-lost boy had no idea how to navigate the Foothills, and it's not like he could shout for Isopia, because someone might hear him and he wasn't supposed to tell people her name because... reasons.

So the boy wandered in what he thought might be the right way, occasionally pausing to sniff the air, or raise an ear in pursuit of his friend. That he wouldn't find her was inconceivable, because he had to find her, because she had to be there, because if she was gone and Ma was gone then, well....

He didn't want to think about that.

Had the sun been up he might have realized that his horrible sense of direction had, for once, done some good. In truth the boy was mere meters from his best friend's clearing, skirting around it like a river might a stone; but meters didn't matter in the dark, and Zero continued to stumble blindly, stubbornness and heartache the only things holding his battered body in check.

TAG;; @Isopia
Image Credits
- table by Niki -

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

the mountain that knows

In all the world, all of it, there was only one person who could even come close to 'cheering Iso up'. But Isopia hadn't even though of that possibility because ... well, because the weight and defeating power of the grief that swelled inside of, matting out her own intellectual sun, just wouldn't allow it. She had become accustomed to the remoteness of her existence, had settled into it. She now knew what it would take to become the distanced-balance-bringer that she was always meant to be. Hototo had died because of the choice he had made, and Isopia? Isopia had been made stronger for hers.

At least that's what she told herself. Inside, she was a wasteland.

And then ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubris trilled in her mind. Isopia ignored him as she made her way towards her clearing. It was too dark and too cold to linger in the trees. Whatever he saw he could wait to tell her about. 
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He screamed in her mind again, this time with some agitation but also amusement, and zoomed off into the darkness. Isopia's golden gaze peered into the inky blackness that lined the trees, debating whether or not to leave the dragon to his own devices. But, no matter how sterile her heart had become, something tugged her after him.

So she followed.  

Sparks flew off the bronze dragon as he soared towards the boy. Hubris had just begun to experiment with his elemental abilities, and although he decided that this prolonged Frostfall climate did not need any more frost, that electricity was perfectly fine. That, and it would help guide the boy towards them. So, Hubris, the draconian-dragonfly glided swiftly towards Zero, pulsing and trilling as loudly as he dared to. Like the boy, he didn't want to attract any unwanted attention.

As he near, he saw that the boy was a boy no longer. This pleased him, and he offered a bright trill in greeting before beckoning to be followed. 

Isopia could feel from Hubris (who was doing his best to hide his thoughts from her), that he had found someone. A male someone, and for a moment her stomach turned to ice and her heart began to pound so loudly in her chest she thought that it might cause some of the snow on the nearby branches to fall on top of her. 

Is it-

You wouldn't -

She feared that the dragon, with the best intentions she was sure, might be leading Volterra towards her. It would make sense, after their last encounter, that he might try to seek her out? He certainly knew where to find her..Before the panic could rise into a scream in the back of her throat, Hubris' electric arrival revealed who it actually was. The light was dim to be sure, and while she might not have recognized Zero just based on that, she knew by the size alone that it couldn't be Volterra, which left only one candidate.

Her heart did not slow its pounding, but it did melt.

"Zero?" She called, almost sounding hopeful and timid and excited all at the same time, which, for Isopia, was about the absolute limit of her emotional range. "Quickly! We're close to my clearing -" She concluded, nodding over her shoulder. All they had to do was press through the thick shielding of trees and they would be home.

And for the first time in weeks, she wouldn't be alone.

Don't hate me. I was just so excited! @Zèklè 

Image by Schwartze

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

charks

Flash

Zero started as sparks exploded in the dark, bright like lightning, shaped like a dragon- his heart caught in his throat, and for a fleeting, gorgeous, terrible second a single thought filled his mind. "Ma?" the lonely child choked, his voice little more than a whisper, heady and rushed and hopeful and- and- and-

But as the spots faded from his eyes the boy realized the error he'd made. This was not one of Ma's creatures: it was too real, too permanent, and besides, Ma would have sent him a whale, or a dolphin, or something. Like a torn tire the boy deflated, disappointment crashing like waves upon his back, sorrow rushing in to fill the empty place where hope had so briefly lived. No, Ma was gone, and this was just a bronze dragon with a weird determination to get his attention and lead him somewhere in the dark, probably to- oh.

"Hubris!" the boy cried softly (for him, anyway). Relief poured through Zero; he wanted to sob, to reach out and hug the damn dragon, but Hubris was already flying away. Zero followed diligently, happy to have a direction, delighted and desperate past anything he'd expected at the prospect of no longer being alone. Yes, he'd wanted to find Isopia, but it wasn't until now that he realized he needed it, needed her, needed someone he could talk to and be with and sit by and love.

And there she was, in the dark, calling his name. He didn't register much more than that. Exhaustion and relief and cold were a numbing cocktail in his mind; Zero nodded, his face a mask of hopeful trust, and diligently followed where the mountainous mare led, which happened to be her clearing. Though truth be told he would have followed her anywhere just then- anything, if only she would let him stay.

They crossed the threshold into her home, giant and pipsqueak side-by-side. The boy held his uncharacteristic silence for their (very) brief walk, but now he felt his voice trying to rise, his emotions churning in an attempt to break free and become- what? He opened his mouth but no words came out; helplessly Zero stared up at his skull-faced friend, wishing she could just see into his head and find what was wrong, but painfully aware that this was an impossible desire. He wasn't a child anymore, and she wasn't his Ma: he couldn't expect her to fix all his wrongs, just to be there as his friend as he figured his shit out. A small part of him knew this.

The rest was still in denial.

"I missed you, Iso," the boy said at last, his voice ripe and heavy with the weight of his words. Tears sprang to sunbeam eyes, and he shook them away, sharp anger rising in his breath. "Everything fucking sucks. Why does the world have to suck?" The words exploded into the cold night air, forceful puffs of steamy wrath dissipating into an uncaring sky.

But his anger wasn't for her- it was for them, for the world, for everyone who'd ever just given up and run away and thought he was weak and left him behind.

It was for Ma, because Zero had finally moved on to the second stage of grief, and boy was he mad.

TAG;; @Isopia
Image Credits
- table by Niki -

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

the mountain that knows

As the pair reunited, Hubris did a small flip in the air and emitted a sound which could only be described as draconian laughter, and zipped ahead of them to light their way.

Isopia was pleased and slightly relieved by Zero's silence. After all, Nymeria had recently found her little clearing and the demigoddess wasn't keen on having any more visitors. Well, except for Zero. The door to her home - and her heart it seemed - would always be open to him.

I missed you, Iso

"I-"

It's important - very important I would think - to note just how differently the demigoddess, the infamous mountain that knows - acted around the small stallion. She doesn't shrink at his exaggerated movements, nor does her heart squirm uncomfortably at his small signs of affection. Even with Volterra she was never so ... so tender. She and Volterra were like two magnets, and Isopia gave into the burning pull of him knowing that it was madness. But with Zero, it was nothing like that at all. He had found her at a time when she hadn't fully hardened herself against the world. Oh, she was awkward and uncomfortable and unfeeling, but she was not impenetrable. Not like she was now. And because he had wheedled his way into her heart with his uncompromising joy and worldly intrigue, there he had stayed.

She was going to say -missed you too, but instead she found herself moving forwards. Her wings released from their held position against her long body, and suddenly drooped forwards to wrap themselves around the small (though taller than he had been last time) lightning-streaked body. Her long neck curved around Zero's, and despite Isopia's stiffness (she might not have minded hugging Zero, but she was certainly not-practiced at it. However the moment seemed to call for it, and so..?), she exhaled something that sounded like a happy sigh into him. 

This physical contact did not remind her even in the slightest of Volterra, and although that thought occurred to her and thus did remind her of him, she did not feel the pangs of ice that gripped her heart tighten at all, and for that she was thankful. 

Isopia retreated a few steps, tucking her large wings against her flanks to defend herself from the chilly midnight air. 

Everything fucking sucks. Why does the world have to suck? Oddly, Isopia felt like she actually understood this exasperated outburst. Her golden eyes shifted across the clearing, where a small shroud of rocks stood. Oddly, no snow seemed to fall there. It was the grave of her dead (nay, murdered) child. She forced out a breath that she hadn't realized she was holding.

"I don't know Zero," She offered with a shake of her quad-horned skull. "But it does, doesn't it?" She wanted to look at the grave again, but disallowed her eyes to move. Looking at it wouldn't do any good. Besides, the image was already burned into the back of her mind and was branded darkly on her soul.

"Come on - let's go in out of the cold." The earthen girl turned and moved slowly towards her hut. It wasn't terribly large inside, but was large enough for the two of them. And, not only did it have four walls and a roof, but she had imbued the foundation and wall-stones with her magic, causing them to pulse warmly and give off heat.  

Image by Schwartze

charks

It wasn't that he didn't want her to touch him- more that he didn't expect it, at all. Zero's first instinct was to tense in surprise, followed by the rather immediate second instinct of relaxing into her touch. How long had it been since he'd been hugged? When compared with Isopia, not so long, but in his estimation it had been ages. And to be hugged by Iso? Well, that was a rare treat, something uniquely special and delightful for the boy. Zero sighed against her mane, letting the warmth of her wings and the solid comfort of her body ease him out of his distress- if only for a minute, because a minute was enough.

When Isopia drew away she took a bit of his anguish with her, and Zero felt lighter for it, though anger still burned hot in his breast. He nodded forcefully, though a part of him noticed how quick she was to agree with him. Was she okay? For perhaps the first time Zero realized that he'd never heard from Isopia about her family, her friends. Sure, there was that big black stallion he'd met at the Rift fight, but who else did Iso have? He knew she wasn't close with her Ma (an idea once incomprehensible, but perhaps he could see now that it had some merit). Had he been horribly selfish, coming here with his problems while he still had sisters and Gaucho and Mesec and even more people than he could really count waiting for him in the Throat?

Ironically Zero was too busy worrying about his adequacy as a friend to notice the way Isopia's eyes drifted in the dark. His attention only returned to her when she spoke again, turning to make her way out of the cold - thank goodness. How anybody could tolerate living in the north was beyond the lightning boy's ability to comprehend. Oh, sure, snow was cool, but at the end of the day it was way better to have a nice collection of dry rocks to hang out in than to be cold and wet and have rain rot and, well, you get the idea. Zero did not like cold, and was happy to get out of it. Besides, some of that comfortable numbness was wearing off, making it much easier for the harsh and frigid reality of the situation to set in. Ma was gone.

(And I'm so selfish, maybe she left because of that- because I'm selfish and crippled and the girls are weird and she just couldn't bear to see-

Shut up, Zero's self doubt. Nobody's got time for your shit.)

Zero sighed happily as the warmth from Isopia's cabin worked its way into his frozen joints. "Thanks," he murmured, shaking himself to get off the excess wet, tail- and wing-feathers rising into fluff. Sunbeam eyes traveled curiously around the hut, taking in the stones and craftsmanship before finally coming back to the earthen girl. It was nice, being quiet and just there with his friend, but the boy wasn't one to keep his tongue for long, and besides, if he didn't talk he'd just think more about Ma, and he wasn't going to lie about what had happened to Iso, but he wasn't sure he was willing to talk about it, not yet. And so, to distract himself from his own familial predicament, Zero cleared his throat and asked what he assumed to be a perfectly innocent question: "Do you get lonely here, Iso?"

A pause. He looked out the door, into the dark. "I get lonely sometimes. But I don't got a 'panion, I bet that makes it different. What's it like, havin' someone there all the time who can never go away? It must be nice." Wistfulness gave way to resentment, and his voice began to rise. "It must be nice, but I don't get to know because Ma always said not to get a 'panion 'cept now she has one an' my sisters have 'em an Gaucho has 'em an everyone has someone 'cept me an' I don't even know why! Why can't people explain things, or, or, or be consistent, or why can't I have a 'panion so I don't have to be the only one alone when people leave?!"

As he ranted the boy's agitation grew, and he began to shift his weight, wings rustling, teeth grinding as a rare anger flared in his eyes... but as soon as it rose the anger faded, leaving in its place a bizarre weariness. Both emotions fit the boy poorly, like a coat made for a larger man: he felt like he might drown in them, lost and lonely, and in a moment of panic sought Isopia like a life vest, pressing his body back into the comforting reality of her side. Isopia was safe. Isopia was there. In all their time as friends, Isopia had never, ever left, and never had Zero appreciated that more than now. As far as Zero was concerned, Isopia was a remarkably reliable and compassionate individual.

A great listener, too.

"'m glad you're my friend, Iso," the boy whispered into her mane. "I've had a lot'uv friends, but you're the best. How come more people can't be like us, y'know? How come more people can't just be good? Why do they gotta hurt each other all the time?"

ooc || I'M SORRY THIS TOOK FOREVER AND IDEK WHAT HIS HEAD SPACE IS RIGHT NOW.

also colored speech font yay
Image Credits
- table by Niki -

the mountain that knows

Thanks-

Isopia's quad-horned skull bobbed down only once, in acknowledgement. Her golden gaze shifted around, taking in the hut from what she thought might be Zero's first impression of it: the rustic walls, the roots that would one day push entirely through the floor, the earthen scent intermingled with her scent, the rough shelving she had built to hold a few nicknacks - a vial of God Blood, the dagger from Ampere among other things.

She thought it looked nice.

Do you get lonely here, Iso?

The girl looked towards her friend. If anyone else had asked that of her, she would have brushed it off immediately. But Zero deserved more than that from her, and so she contemplated the question. Though unlike with others, she spoke her thoughts out loud, for his benefit.

"I don't think I know what loneliness is. I think ... to be lonely you have to miss someone. Or ... loneliness is a lacking of something. It comes from recognizing that something is supposed to be there, but that it isn't." She paused, her golden gaze sweeping over Zero's smaller frame for a moment. "I don't have that. " For a second something like a wince - or at least as close to a wince as Isopia could manage - brushed her her features. Was that insulting to say? Did it imply that she didn't ever miss Zero? Because .. that wasn't quite true, now was it? She did, just not in the way he likely meant. She wasn't lonely for having missed him. She was just ... isopia.

"I don't have a family like you, Zero. I don't have anyone to miss."

Volterra raced through her mind - thundering through her thoughts unbidden. She was far too in control to let her ears flatten at his presence in her thoughts, but mentally she did just the same. I don't miss you. she spat silently, no longer sure whether or not that was a lie.

Luckily her friend began to speak again, and thoughts of the ruby-eyed stallion were pleasantly replaced by the lightning-eyed one before her. She tucked away pieces of his life that she gleamed from what he said. Gaucho...sisters...consistency. Isopia already had formed a pretty comprehensive picture of Zero from their encounters so far, but every time he spoke she seemed to pick up something more. Which was valuable for someone like Isopia, who was terrible at small talk.

Given that he was partially the subject of this conversation, Hubris had begun to nudge himself closer to Zero, perched on an earthen shelf near the lightning stallion's face. The dragon trilled softly and extended his clawed hands consolingly. Isopia watched this display impassively, her golden eyes fluttering slightly. Although Zero thought that she was a good listener and friend, the mountainous mare had no idea what to do as anger spilled out from her friend. She only watched him with large wide eyes, listening but never judging.

Who left? She wondered idly, wondering if it was indeed Ampere that he was referring to. He knew the boy loved his Ma in a way that she couldn't understand. Isopia had challenged Ampere's parenting once, and if it was the blue and black mare who left Zero, then perhaps her comments had been validated. Perhaps she should not have walked off that day on the Isles. Perhaps she should have fought for Zero harder.

"Hubris is good." She said finally. "Unlike most, I didn't choose him. He was a gift. But ... I never knew how much I would -" She paused, her mind searching for the word. Not wanting to hold up Zero for too long (she knew his mind raced as fast as hers did), she settled for a close adjective. "- enjoy having him around." At this, Hubris turned, his blue eyes beaming at her, and nodded.

Suddenly Zero was at her side, and awkwardly Iso raised a wing to allow him room. Her dark feathers teetered over his back, then fell gently across his spine, gingerly covering the place where one of his wings failed to grow.

What Zero said next resonated with her more than she could have ever communicated.

How come more people can't just be good? I'm not good- she thought have thought, but instead her thoughts pinwheeled back to Volterra and his plethora of children and mistresses (of which, if she was being honest, she was now one of). It made her feel dirty and used and naive and stupid - all things that she hated, and her body angrily shook against the feeling, until her mind got a hold of itself and stopped.

Why do they gotta hurt each other all the time? Yes. Why did you have to hurt me? which was then quickly followed by a worse thought, Why did I let myself be hurt?

"I don't know." She mumbled uselessly, dropping her skull as if the thoughts that were nestled in her brain were now too heavy to hold up. 
"But you'll always have me, Zero." Had Isopia ever made such a promise before? She didn't think so. But it didn't matter - the words and the sentiment came easily. 

@Zèklè 

Image by Schwartze

charks

I don't have anyone to miss.

"But you've got me!" the boy exclaimed immediately, instinctively, his need to be loved only overshadowed by his need to love, to assure his friend that she would always be loved, would never be alone. He decided, for once, to hold his tongue and avoid asking the questions welling in his mind - What about your Da? What about your herd? Importantly, the boys feelings were not hurt; his words were an assertion, not a protest, because he was confident (needed to be confident) in his importance in Isopia’s life.

Besides, the giantess had just said she didn’t even get lonely. And while Zero didn’t fully understand this concept, it was alright, because sometimes she didn’t understand him, either - and they were still friends.

Why couldn’t it be that way with everybody else?

Zero sighed, his body nesting easily against Isopia’s side. It felt good, to be close to someone- to have someone he could lean on, be honest with, who would listen without any condescension, and whose feelings he didn’t have to protect. It felt good, that was, until his friend started shaking- and Zero balked, blinking, his neck straining to find the source of her agitation, worry etched on his expressive face. His earlier concern returned tenfold, that feeling of guilt - Why don’t I know you better? - swelling in his breast. The lightning backed boy threw a helpless glance to Hubris, as though looking for an answer from the blue-eyed beast.

He wished that the dragon could tell him what was wrong, because he wasn’t sure his friend ever would.

She promised not to leave him, and the lightning boy believed her. He let the silence grow between them, content, for a time, to rest beneath her wing and gnaw restlessly at his lip. It was nice to just be close; in the wake of his Ma’s absence Zero’d felt like an island, floating without any sense of aim across a foreign sea. He’d questioned everything he knew and believed, buckling beneath the weight of his own doubt, but now he felt okay, even safe, and, well...

He wanted to make sure Iso felt that way, too.

Zero pulled away from his friend, just enough to turn earnest sunbeam eyes upon the mandible-marked girl. A frown marked his features; worry and affection were bright in his gaze, clouding out even his own pain. "Iso, y'know... if you wanna talk about it, you can." He didn't say what it was, or even ask. He wasn't sure she would even need to talk. But there was obviously something wrong, even he could see that, and he wanted her to know that he was there for her, too; that he would always listen, and always care. "But if you do, you can tell me. An' if you don't, that's 'k, too- we can talk about something else" he added with half of his signature smile, though pat of him worried if that was something that kept her quiet- his ability to babble on and on.

@Isopia
Image Credits
- table by Niki -

Isopia

Somebody swore me you were leaving town,
I swear I never thought you'd be the one who'd let me down
No Zero, I don't, the earthen girl thought sadly but silently. I can't miss you, because missing means needing. And I can't need you. You aren't big enough to endure what I've done. But instead of voicing these honest insecurities, despite the fact that Zero was likely the only one in all of Helovia who could hear them without judgement and love her still, Isopia remained silent, with her wing wrapped almost lazily around her small friend.

The girl hadn't actually realized her body had trembled until Zero pulled away, his bright gaze clearly wrought with worry. On his dirt-ledge, Hubris made an I don't know gesture with his shoulders and frowned. In that moment, the pleading nearly helpless but still so damned concerned look on his face caused a physical pang of pain to race through Isopia's breast. The demi-goddess fought the urge to wince, won, and stared doubtfully down at the boy who offered to hear her transgressions. Even a priest wouldn't want to talk about this. She thought doubtfully, though teetered on the edge of opening her lips and spilling everything to him.

The weight of what she had done was suddenly so much more tangible than it had ever been before. It rose in the back of her throat like bile and threatened to reduce her knees to jelly forcing her onto them like the whore she had felt she had become. But if Zero could bear this burden? Could it be shared? If she told him ... would that take away the pain? Would it lessen her grief?

But as his sunbeam gaze met her hardened golden one, the demi-goddess swallowed and stood taller. No, she thought conclusively, it wouldn't. Her gaze skirted around him for a moment, out into the cold snowy landscape where her secret was buried.
Zero was from her past, a time of adventure and learning and whatever passed for innocence in Isopia's life. His memory collided jarringly with thoughts of sex and pregnancy and murder.

"It's nothing. Just a mistake I've made, but I've taken care of it." In her mind, Hubris seethed, disappointed that she would brush off what she had done as casually as that. Isopia characteristically ignored this completely, forcing her lips to part in a smile. "I learned something new - new magic. Want to see?" She inquired, shifting the topic to something that would hopefully take hold of his interest.

sorry that sucked x.x

Image by Tamme!