the Rift

[OPEN] the weight of love

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

The trip north had taken longer than he had expected, the constant indecision and confusion about whether or not this was a terrible idea kept Mesec and Lucius circling and made their route long and indirect. But no matter how far east they drifted, their course corrected itself back north eventually and the more they travelled, the more it felt inevitable. The thought of children, his children was all-consuming in his mind - selfishly and recklessly pushing aside the thoughts about his quest which would, upon completion, actually make him safe to be around those foals.

He just needed to see them once - that was all. Just once and then he could leave them safely alone until he was no longer dangerous, until he was fixed.

It had not been so long since he had been here - since he had seen Ophelia on a trip with other members of the Throat. Did she still live here, he wondered, as he drew closer to the entrance. Was it possible for so much of his family to find ties to this mountain herd land? Despite the cool breeze through the mountains, Mesec felt sweaty and nervous - his heartbeat picking up a faster and faster rhythm with each step. Questions plagued him and he tried to ignore them, tried to focus on this moment because he simply didn’t know anything else. What Ki’irha was like outside of their brief meeting, whether the foals had been born, what they were like... His mother had told him they could be blessed because of his blood, god's blood, but what that meant still remained to be seen.

The sentinel looked decrepit and rusting but Mesec knew better than to waltz in without permission. He lingered on the border - calling out with a whinny for Ki’irha - while Lucius took to the skies and circled high above, seeking out the star-mare. It was just as likely that someone else would come to greet the demigod as it was her (he didn’t even know what her role was in this herd or if she was here today) but he hoped that he wouldn’t have to explain who he was looking for or why he was here to anyone else.

Too nervous to stand still, the black and silver tribrid fidgeted constantly in his spot - stopping himself from pacing (pacing along the border of another herd didn’t exactly seem like a friendly activity) - too afraid to even blink in case he missed her arrival.

Mesec
the nightshade

image credits

@Ki'irha @Virga @Vesper <33333333333

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone besides the family that wanted to jump in would ask me first (or at least wait and give Mesec a chance to meet his kids :| )
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

I knew I’d been gone far to long and that mother was probably worried.  Worry bloomed hot in my gut, and at the sensation Everly let out a concerned squeak.  I just hoped mother understood that I hadn’t meant to be away for so long.  First there was the lynx kittens, and then the whole game with the mother fish, and then Everly had hatched.  By then it had been too late to head back north.  Everly hadn’t managed to peek her head out of her shell until the sun had already disappeared beneath the trees. 

It had been scary at first, terrifying really, the prospect of being alone.  I’d never been alone. Not ever.  Not even before I was born.  I’d always had mother and Virga.  It was only now that the true weight of what I’d done came crashing down upon me.  But before I could panic, before the crushing reality of loneliness could crash down upon me I realized that there was no wave cresting over my head threatening to drag me under.  Even though I was far from home, from my family, I wasn’t alone.  I would never be alone again. As if to affirm the thought, Everly let out a rather loud chirp for one so small.  Sensing my troubles, the little zephyr shuffled closer, knowing what I needed before I knew.  It was too late to travel now, so we slept there by the bank of the lake, nestled together in a pile of downy feathers. 

Everly was the one who woke me in the morning, just as the sun began to crest the trees, pulling on my bushy forelock and chirping directly in my baby-ears. I let out a less than ladylike yawn and rose on spindly legs, more than ready to make the journey home. “Time to go home,” I said, quietly, more for my own benefit than for Everly’s.  However she chirped in assent nonetheless, excitement filling the newly developed bond between the two of us.  The very same bond that had staved off the fear and the loneliness in the dark last night.

The little zephyr clung tightly my short mane as I navigated my way home in reverse.  I could feel her getting tired as we grew closer to the Basin so I quickened my pace, traveling as fast as was safe with a baby bird riding along.  It was then that I saw it, and the sight caused a gasp to escape me, startling Everly alert.  Curiosity and confusion flooded my head as Everly followed my gaze to the magnificent four-winged bird rising through the skies over the Basin.  “Look, Ev! Another whale! Like you!”  I only got a chirp in response but continued down the pass towards the metal behemoth that I knew meant home.  I didn’t even notice someone standing there, since I was too busy chasing after the bird that looked so much like mine until I almost ran into him.  I slid to a halt, abashed and out of breath, and looked up at the stranger.  “Is that your whale?!” I asked, panting after having run so far, looking from the stranger to the bird and back again.  Perhaps if I had been older I would have recognized the similarities between myself and the stranger.  Perhaps I would have put the pieces together.  For the moment, however, I had different priorities.

I needed to know about the whale. 

Vesper
the evening star
image credits

@Virga @Ki'irha @Mesec
(vesper thinks zephyrs are called whales because of something in her drop, fyi :X)

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Mesec had his attention forward, waiting for Ki’irha or someone from the Basin to come and greet him, greet the strange stallion lingering around the border but he hadn’t been paying too much attention to anyone approaching from behind.

So lost in his own head, he actually jumped in his skin a little bit at the first exclamation behind him - about a whale. It was too high and unfamiliar of a voice to be Zero but the talk of whales inevitably reminded him of the little lightning colt (causing an ugly wrench in his heart). Lucius immediately descended further at this alarming shock of distress but when Mesec spotted the filly who had spoken - the pain evaporated.

For a moment all he could do was stare, his breath catching. She was perfect. Her coat bright with black and silver and stars, her eyes the same as his - the same as his mother’s. Almost missing the next thing she said as she rushed over, panting and excited, asking him about his whale. It took him a moment to connect the dots, turning to spot his companion as he got closer and wondering if - for whatever possible reason - this girl thought zephyrs were whales.

“Yes! That.. whale is mine.” Mesec cautiously applied the term, feeling Lucius bristle at the idea as he got close enough to get a really good look at the girl and her zephyr. The large roc released a happy call as he recognized one of his kin - and a brand new one at that! Abandoning his search for Ki’irha, Lucius swooped closer so that the star-draped girl could get a better look before landing on the ground just before her - peering up at her with silver and violet eyes before chirping a hello. It seemed safe to abandon the search for Ki’irha - this daughter had to be the result of the union between his bonded and the star mare and surely the mother would be along any moment. He tilted his head curiously, glancing back and forth between Mesec and this small filly, all the while yelling for joy through their bond. Babies! Baby foals and baby zephyrs!!

Mesec tried to stay practical, tried to not let his heart race ahead of the knowledge that he didn’t have. This filly could belong to someone else, their similarities could be a coincidence - and Lucius actually scoffed out loud at these ridiculous thoughts.

He did agree that whoever the mother of this girl was (and oh, with each passing moment he hoped it would be Ki’irha) would be along any moment and then they would know for certain either way. The moon had told him there were two foals, after all, and this girl seemed to be alone.

His heart was pounding so loudly that he feared he might accidentally trigger a shift just out of the odd combination of joy and caution that was pumping through his veins. Gulping quickly, Mesec tried to get the war of uncertainty under control so that… what? So he could figure out if this was his daughter.

Just the idea caused his eyes to sting with the start of tears.

But he managed a smile, watching as Lucius behaved ridiculously with his joy, hopping slightly on the spot while greeting the young girl and her companion. “His name is Lucius and I’m Mesec. What’s your name?”

Mesec
the nightshade

image credits

couldn't resist posting him again <3

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae

Alone.

Your ears twitch every time one of your tiny feet hits the ground. Habit - you expect to hear the fall of other feet. For however long you can remember, there have always been more. The three of you - the two of you - a many-legged beast, its hearts all pumping to the same song. Now there is only your own heart. Now there is only the music of your own feet, and it's dull. Your eyes dance, huge and full of shadows, from one rocky feature to the next. And your heart beats too fast without the slow pulse of Mama's beside it. Blood slicks through your veins hot and restless. You search. You don't call it searching because you can't bear to call Mama lost, but you search. Every now and then your walk pitter-patters into a trot and your head lifts, swan'ts throat elongating, vocal cords fluttering out an imperceptible hum. Why don't you cry out, Virga? You want to, but you swallow the noise before it comes out. You can't. You don't know why, except something like fear shifts in your eyes and now you hesitate, your nostrils flaring to suck anxiously at the cool wind.

(Where are you?)

The breeze, so slight, bears any suggestion of familial blood away from you. So you can't be blamed if you don't notice the pair (trio?) on the ridge, at first. You don't even know the big one, and the little one is so small, anyway, so easily lost in this labyrinth of rock and snow...

When you do notice, everything freezes.

And your sister - you know her like breathing - is no longer familiar as breath to you. How? What is that thing tumbling in the air and around her head like a lost angel? Who is that, so much bigger than her, patterned black and silver, towering above her? Your first reaction is fear. This isn't surprising though, is it, Virga? Your first reaction is always fear.

Your second reaction would be deadly if you were older.

You run.

Your body, your fragile body made of spindles and black porcelain, launches forward. Hooves once so unreliable upon the rocks of your homeland find purchase easily, and everything in you sails hard, fast, immediate up up up. You make the last two strides a leap; wings flutter uselessly at your sides, baby fluff molting slowly into what will - of course - be one day magnificent. Your landing is a crash, an almost-tangle of long legs twisting and then untangling, and you thrust your dainty nose at Vesper urgently, breathing in - breathing in. All the while, your body screams in its quiet language, rough and anxious, twitching, hovering, begging (please let us be reunited). It's almost like a prayer. You crave so dearly what has recently been gone; you almost convince yourself you don't care about the change in her scent, or the bundle of wind-scent upon her back, soft too with baby fluff. You want her to greet you, tell you everything is fine. You want to be whole again. But it's not just the two of you here, now - there is another (intruder).

Resentful, your black gaze finds the giant dwarfing you both. You should maybe thank him for keeping an eye on your sister, but you're so upset about your sister gone you're apt to take it out on the nearest unimportant thing. So wild-eyed you glare, no menace in your tiny body as your wings fluff like a songbird's and your little ears twist, muzzle wrinkling like an old man's. What are you? says the look. You are not mine.

You forget, in your innocence, how often wrong you are.

Virga
silver horses chased down moonbeams in your dark eyes

image credits

@Mesec @Vesper @Ki'irha
Wow I haven't written him in a while x_x

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

“I’m Vesper!” I trill, happily, because to be perfectly honest I couldn’t believe my luck. “This is Everly. A fish gave her to me! Did Lucius come from a fish too?” I ask, genuinely curious now. Lucius was much bigger than Everly and had extra wings to boot - he must be very special. Everly chirped in agreement before continuing to dance impatiently between my ears.  I lowered my head and let her slide down the planes of nose to the ground so she could be properly introduced to the other whale.  It was obvious enough that she was excited to see one of her kind because she pulled at my hair with her talons that were small, but still sharp.  That and I could feel how excited she was...and impatient.  That was a new sensation. I was certainly close to Virga and Mama, but never quite like this.  However, I was curious as to how Mesec found his whale.  If his had come from a fish, maybe I could look in the big lake and see if there was an egg in there for Virga too!

The thought of Virga sends a spike of anxiety through my belly. I’d been gone for too long. I was sure that he and mother would be worried. I was so very sure because I was worried. But I just couldn’t bring myself to leave this stranger to go find them, but my eyes flick to the interior of the Basin at regular intervals nonetheless.  I’d never been quite this torn - wanting to run away and find Mama and Virga but also so very enraptured with who I’d found.  I’d always been comfortable around strangers but this seemed different.  I didn’t have the words or the sense to explain how, but being around Mesec wasn’t like being around other strangers.

As if to ease my own worry that I was right not to run into the heart of the Basin in search of mama and Virga, I began a rather thorough appraisal of this stranger I’d stumbled upon.  I’d neglected any sort of reasonable  observations after becoming so distracted by what he’d brought with him.  It was only then that I began to realize what Mesec (and Lucius) had already realized. 

Quietly I looked at Mesec with a clearly appraising gaze.  Mesec had a coat as black as the night sky, interrupted only by silver...just like mine.  He had no stars, but of course I got my stars from Mama. Mesec had a twisted horn spiraling from his forehead, just like mine.  Virga’s was growing straight like Mama’s.  And Mesec had wings, which Mama did not have, but both she and Virga did.  Perhaps most significantly though were his eyes.  The same eyes that stared back at me when I saw my saw her reflection in the water.  “We match,” I said, simply, though there was some hesitation in my voice because I wasn’t at all certain what all of this actually meant. 

And then again my mind was spinning because before I can make the pieces fit together in a way that makes sense, Virga comes running and my heart leaps somewhere up closer to my throat. My little heart beats faster in expectation for the long put off reunion and relief washes over me when he’s just there in a tangle of legs and all his ungraceful glory.  But he’s here and he’s mine and I’m whole again.  I press my nose against his skin and inhale the scent that I’ve known since forever. “Virga,” I sigh against his skin, content for the first time since I’d left on the adventure filled with kittens and fish and mysterious places. I slide over so that I’m standing closer to him, but cannot peel myself from his side.  Everly is curious with the arrival of this person she knows to be important, and it’s enough to distract her from her kin.  She peeps out a greeting to Virga, looking expectantly at the dark colt who had appeared so suddenly. 

I then remember our audience, and I turn back to Mesec and Lucius wearing a somewhat sheepish smile.  “This is Mesec, I met him when I was coming back after a fish gave me Everly’s egg,” I managed, hurriedly, nodding at the smaller zephyr, “and then it hatched and look he has a whale too!” The words are a jumble and come out too fast, no doubt as a function of being so overwhelmed.  I huff out a deep breath before trying to continue but I hesitate for another moment as I look from Mesec, to Virga, and back over my own silver-touched shoulder.  “Virga look we all match, don’t we?” I said, quietly, but I hoped that my brother could at least affirm what I was seeing. 

Vesper
the evening star
image credits

@Virga @Mesec
(I WASN'T READY TO LET IT DIE SORRY Y'ALL)

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

“No, I actually got him from a cat, believe it or not.” No wonder Vesper thought her zephyr was a whale, if she had received it from a fish. “Maybe that’s why he looks different from your whale!” He offered with enthusiasm, earning another rush of annoyance from Lucius. But while Mesec was focused on the foal, the zephyr was happily greeting Everly, releasing a small coo as he inched towards the smaller zephyr. He was very aware of how small she was and didn’t want to accidentally hurt her.

While Mesec was trying very hard not to stare at the filly - was that rude to do to a foal that you thought was your own? - he found that she was looking at him - giving an appraising look as though she were trying to figure something out. And not just something. The bright filly commented on the subject that was racing through Mesec’s own mind  - they matched.

Before the demi-god could say anything (what would he even say?) they were no longer alone.

The sound of small hooves scrambling over the ground grabbed the attention of Mesec and Lucius and they were both surprised to see a small, winged and horned colt that almost perfectly matched Vesper appear and bee-line it right for his, presumably, sister.

So there were two.

A son, a son!! Mesec’s mind raced ahead with his heart, ignoring his feeble attempts at being pragmatic and the lack of actual proof.

But he wanted this, wanted to find out that he was their father, and any revelation to the contrary could not be thought about in these precious moments where it was a possibility. Even Vesper had made a comment about it - they did match.  

He watched as the two greeted each other, the actions filled with affection. Mesec felt like he was intruding but he couldn’t bring himself to move away just yet - feeling that same strong pull that he did when he was around a family. He wanted that, desperately wanted to be a part of one - he was a shadow on the outskirts of so many it would be wonderful to actually become a part of one.

After a moment, Vesper pulled away from her brother long enough to make introductions and though Mesec’s smile was shaky - he tried his best to make sure that it was a bright smile.

“It’s nice to meet you Virga.” Mesec lowered his head a little and tried to smile encouragingly to the nearly all black colt. How do you even talk to foals? Was he supposed to be talking to them differently? Or was it good to talk to them like anyone else? Mesec tried to remember how he talked when he was with Zero, but they just talked. And it was hard for his mind to pick out the happier memories of Zero when he had been repressing the most recent ones for so long. Well, hopefully he would figure it out soon.

“Is your mom around? Can I help you guys find her?”

Mesec
the nightwind

image credits

god I hope that made sense
MESEC'S MIND IS GOING CRAZY