the Rift

[PRIVATE] fire in my soul

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
A sharp snort escaped the Thief's nose as she stumbled upon sand. The black lines surrounding her face were slightly puffy, caused by tears that had fallen out of both rage and dejection. Her face was dry by now, as the salty breeze splashed across her face. Still, she trudged further toward the water's edge, lowering her head to it and watched as the water moved up to her ashen hooves before retreating again.

It was almost like the waves had been doing the same game that the Thief and Tembovu had been playing all along. Just barely close enough to reach the other before being pulled away by the sea. Tembovu, pulled away by his own demons and his duty to his herd - and her, pulled away by her child and her own duty to her herd. Each one nearly close enough to catch the other before something ended up pulling each other away. And she hated it. She hated it with every part of herself, especially after the encounter with Orithia. That pale rose had been the barrier, stopping Rexanna's wave from crashing on the shore of Tembovu.

She had been so close, and failed.

But she had more to think about now, other than her companion who had just wandered out from the brush behind her, feeling the sands for the first time in his already short life. The Thief now had to worry about the life that was clearing growing within her belly. Albeit, it wasn't extremely noticeable, but it was there. If anyone knew what to look for, they found it. And in order to do her best to protect the child that she carried and her companion, she fled rather than stay to see what would happen. The last thing she needed in Helovia was a repeat of her experience with Calstron. She'd do anything in her power to prevent it from happening, and luckily for her she at least found her magic. She could fight if she had to. And if push came to shove, she'd fight to her last breath trying to do what was right after how many wrongs she had done.

"Talk."
I’ve become a simple souvenir of someone’s kill
And like the sea—
I’m constantly changing from calm to ill.
Rexanna
image | coding

It's kind of all over the place atm, butttt we can get this going :D @Adaeze
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Adaeze Posts: 32
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

There was very little that Tembovu could say or do that would make Adaeze stay in one place for long, especially now that she was in a place that was still very new. Every chance the cheetah got she would leave the Edge to explore the different lands. Sometimes it was only a few days that she was gone, sometimes it was nearly a week before she finally would head back to her new home. Adaeze never had a plan on where she was going or when she would be back, she just went wherever her hooves carried her.

This time she ended up on a seemingly endless stretch of beach that she had already seen before. There was beach to her left and ocean to her right that stretched until it touched the horizon. Her hooves kicked up a spray of sand as she raced along the beach and sweat had begun to break out across her neck and shoulders. She could never run as freely in the Edge as she could on the beach, which was quickly becoming one of her favorite places.

The pale form of another horse caught Ada's attention and she gradually began to slow from a headlong gallop to a trot and eventaully to a walk. The mare was not opposed to meeting locals and finding out what was what in the new place that she was calling home. As she got closer it became apparent that the other party was a mare and a very pretty one at that. "You don't mind if I join you, do you Sweetheart?" The cat scarcely waited for a reply before she parked herself near the other mare. Her sides heaved as she caught her breath and she gazed openly at the other mare rather than sneaking a peek now and then like a creepy stallion might.

Ada knew the signs because she had been through it herself. She knew what the gentle swell of a pregnant belly. Her golden eyes moved from her new-found companion's stomach to her face, which seemed to be a little puffy as if she had been crying. Happy tears or sad tears? "How far along are you?" The cheetah asked as if she had known the other woman for years.

"."

Credits

@Rexanna

The waves splashed a salty spray across the mare's ashen hooves, the wind pulling it to her as if a consolation for the hostile encounter at the border of the Edge. The thought of which only had Rexanna result in a sad stare, pretending she could see straight through the earth's surface into the fiery molten core below - to see the possible hidden destruction within such a large world. A small sigh escaped her before Remy alerted her to the presence of fast approaching hooves. The tiny polecat walked up to her left foreleg, gripping her cannon bone gently with his tiny black paws and tugging through the bond that this was a creature that she hadn't seen before. One he couldn't find in memories or possible descriptions. For that, the Thief was thankful. All she needed was to run across someone she knew in a state like this. She lowered her head further, her nose barely hovering above the ground for the polecat to grip onto the golden horn that sat perfectly caressed within her brow.

Lifting her head, Remy found a comfortable spot along her withers while she turned to allow her cerulean gaze to land on the fast approaching beast. Yet, a beast was nothing that she found. Instead, she found a remarkably beautiful spotted woman before her, trilling a question of joining her. Remy, struck by curiosity and uncertainty, looked around them to see if perhaps the mare was talking to somebody else - but let his beady eyes land on the mare with a tiny smile picking up the puffs of his mouth. Rexanna dipped her head in greeting and forced a small smile forward. "I don't mind." She commented, her voice flat and carrying a hint of defeat within her.

The next question the mare asked caused Rexanna to shift uncomfortably within the sands. Her ashen hooves sinking slightly with the movement. An ear flicked back, wavering in her internal debate of telling a stranger rather personal information. And yet, she began to realize that if Tembovu had decided to banish her away from his herd and she was forced to live as a solitary statue in the Basin, what harm could it do? She turned her head again to the mare, turning herself slightly to face her better - admiring the exotic facial markings and the beautiful spots that illuminated the woman's own lithe body. "Not very far." Her voice reached the mare, a bit more spirited than the words she spoke prior.

"You have a good eye. I didn't think I was showing that much." Rexanna offered a wink to the spotted mare, trying to lighten the mood. At least, her own mood. "Do you have children?" She questioned softly, cocking her head in curiosity. It was an honest question, and she wondered if perhaps there were more little spotted babes running around Helovia than she had met. Granted, she hadn't met many Helovians, still a fair share to ensure that perhaps someone with similar markings would be locked within her memory.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

@Adaeze

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

Ada's golden eyes found the polecat on the other mare's withers as she claimed to not mind if she was joined. She had already encountered one companion before (Tembovu's elephant) so she was sure that this little animal was amptjer just like that. It made her wonder if everyone in Helovia had a different kind of companion and if those companions hinted at qualities the one they bonded to possessed. Like Tembovu's elephant companion made her think of several qualities the king possessed; namely his stature and how he seemed to remember certain details. There was also his occasional temper and how he didn't always smell the best. As of yet she didn't know the other mare well enough to decide if her assumption about the companions were correct, but she was interested in finding out if her hunch was correct.

The cheetah noted the uncomfortable shift of the other mare when she questioned her pregnancy and she wondered if the pregnancy was wanted or unwanted. When the pale mare turned her head more toward her it made the puffiness of her face even more apparent. Her natural curiosity made her want to ask why, but she held the question back for the time being.

A soft, quiet chuckle slipped past Adaeze's lips as the mare told her she had a good eye. "Its hard not to notice the signs when you've experienced enough them yourself." She said and winked playfully back at the other mare. "When I found out I was pregnant I cried on and off for days." Mostly because she hadn't wanted to bring a child into Dorobo.

"Do you have children?"

Adaeze was quiet for a moment as the question ricocheted around her head like a stray bullet. It was a tough question to answer because it was both yes and no. Yes, she had given birth, but no she didn't have any children. The only one she'd ever spoken to about her lost had been Papa echo. "No," She finally answered. "I wasn't able to carry him to term." It had been a hard blow to her to birth her child only to find that he was already dead. "Is this your first pregnancy?"

"."

Credits

@Rexanna

Already Rexanna found herself drifting toward the mare. Somehow, it was so easy for her to talk to, to put aside her better judgement and simply just exist. Still, the Thief listened to the spotted woman speak, silently nodding along with what she had to say. Listening as she spoke of crying when she found out. And with that, Rexanna remembered her first pregnancy - how proud and joyous she had been when she found out she was carrying Cal’s child. She was ecstatic that she could bring the prince a child, hoping that perhaps it would be the solace that Cal needed to cure his insanity. Even still, it wasn’t enough.

And then the spotted mare spoke of her own lost pregnancy. The Thief looked away from her, letting her gaze drift out across the water with a minute nod. Her lips forming their way into a tight line as a sigh slipped past her nose. “I’m sorry to have asked.” Rexanna admitted, craning her head to look upon the spotted mare with a shake of her head. “No, this isn’t my first. I couldn’t carry my first one to term either.” She tried to offer the mare a sympathetic smile - to tell her she understood the horrors that went with birthing a child that wouldn’t be able to take their first breath. “This one is my third since then. I have a child here in Helovia, he lives in the Basin.” Her voice was gentle but carried a line of confidence beneath it. “It’s terrible to have that experience, but there’s always hope for the next one.” She moved closer to the mare, extending her muzzle out in the hopes of a gentle touch on her spotted shoulder in consolation. “Though I seem to be doing the complete opposite of my first pregnancy. Both of mine since then have been, uh, surprises to say the least.

Remy sat atop her withers, watching the mare with a curious gleam in his eye. Rexanna’s calmness to the woman with her beginning change in emotions was a relief for the tiny polecat. He could only carry so much of the weight that came with Rexanna’s moods, of course mostly because of his size but also because of his age. He tried to offer the spotted mare a smile as well, hoping that perhaps the words would be nice to hear - but unsure how a stranger could take them. Perhaps it was a motherly thing that he didn’t understand, bonding over children and the like. It was a strange concept for him that he was sure he wouldn’t be able to figure out for the rest of his life. Puffing out a small snort, he shook his head in his displeasure of his thoughts.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

@Adaeze

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

Ada gave a little shrug of her shoulders when Rexanna apologized for asking if she'd had any children. It was an honest question based on the conversation she'd struck up with the other mare. "Its okay." She said, offering a smile to the mare. "It was probably for the better." She admitted quietly. There was little doubt in her mind that the council would have targeted her child to get to her, just as they had her mate and her parents. But the mare she was talking to knew nothing of her past and had to think she was a monster for saying what she had. "With everything that was happening ...war ... violence ... I don't think I could have kept him alive."  She explained.

She was very thankful when the conversation shifted away from herself and back to the mare she was standing with. "Third one, huh?" She repeated  The pale and gold mare spoke of hope for future pregnancies and Ada just blinked. She'd never thought about future pregnancies after Jashi had been murdered. He'd always been the one she'd intended on being with forever. She'd planned on settling down with him and having a family after she'd done her duty of overthrowing Dorobo's corrupt leadership, but the future she'd wanted had been stolen from her.

"I'm sorry you experienced it, too. Its ... painful." The spotted mare fell silent and listened quietly as her company spoke more about her surprise pregnancy. "Have you chosen any names yet?" And then it hit Ada like a ton of bricks; they'd been standing there talking and didn't even know who the other was. "Oh, I'm Adaeze."

"."

Credits

The Thief offered the spotted mare a soft smile to her reply as well as a small nod. “I understand that.” Her gaze danced over to the girl, ears cupped and pressed forward to listen to her. As she spoke of war and violence Rexanna couldn’t agree more to the terms. She stayed silent, just listening as she thought of the time she was escaping Calstron’s wrath. So much war and violence that she, too, probably wouldn’t have been able to keep the child alive. It would have been worth a shot, but would it have been more horrific to watch your child die because you couldn’t protect him rather than never letting him have a chance to live in the first place? As terrible as it sounded, as horrible as she felt from that day, she wouldn’t have been able to figure out how to live if he died because she couldn’t save him.

Tilting her head to encourage the spotted mare she just nodded along. “I’m sorry you had to deal with it too.” Her voice was gentle, the breeze from the sea filtering through her body as though a sigh of relief. Someone that understood and knew what it was like to have such a thing happen. It was rare, she imagined, but she was grateful all the same. A look of surprise crossed over the Thief’s face at her question. Names? In all the times she had carried a child she had never thought of names. Her stillborn, she didnt even name him - it haunted her still. Rein? She didn’t even name him as well - that was Ashamin’s doing. She began to realize that if Tembovu wasn’t going to be there for her during her pregnancy that she would definitely have to name the child something. She would have to be in charge of that for the first time ever.

Oh, I’m Adaeze.” The Thief nodded, her jaw slightly ajar at the surprise that went through her. “I’m Rexanna. It’s a pleasure Adaeze.” She admitted, finally able to get past the surprise that loomed over her. “And no, I haven’t thought of names. I’m terrible with them really.” A gentle laugh escaped her throat. “Though I imagine I want something exotic sounding. Not the normal names.” A smile crossed her lips. Rein’s name seemed original enough for her. Her own name? She didn’t even know where it came from or what it meant. But the names from her home were more on the latin sounding types of names. So something a bit more extravagant sounded right up her alley. And maybe a name that Tembovu would like as well, if he ever got to meet the child.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

@Adaeze

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

What more was there to say on the subject of lost children? They both had lost their first borns, they were both sorry that the other had experienced it. But there was a small sense of comfort knowing that she wasn't the only one. That someone else knew her pain. There was also hope for the future because if she could bring a child into the world after losing one then maybe she could, too some day if she found the right someone. "Were you scared?" Ada found herself asking without thinking. "When you found out you were pregnant again, I mean." She clarified. "Were you scared it was going to happen again?" She remembered the fear that had twisted her gut when she'd discovered her own pregnancy in Dorobo. She could only imagine that fear would be much worse after losing a child.

"Rexanna." The spotted mare spoke the other's name, committing it to memory. "A pleasure, indeed." And it truly was.

Ada smiled as the other mare spoke of wanting an exotic name for her child rather than a normal one. "I think exotic means something different to everyone." The cheetah said. "Rexanna seems exotic to me." But perhaps that was because they were from different lands. Dorobian names would likely seem exotic to the pale mare. "When I was pregnant I had picked out two names. One for if it was a boy and one if it was a girl. Kiada and Kianzo. Would you consider names like that exotic?" If she did then Ada was sure that she could suggest some other names for Rexanna to consider.

"."

Credits

Were you scared?” Rexanna’s ears pivoted to the mare, listening as Ada continued. A small nod was given to her and a soft smile as the Thief remembered the terror that ripped through her throughout the pregnancy. The fear that Ashamin wouldn’t accept the idea of being a father, first, then the entire birthing experience. But the moment when she had finally given birth and Rein had breathed, stood, and even figured out how to smile, it was surreal; but all so relieving when everything worked out like it should have the first time. “Yes. Terrified.” She began, shifting her weight - her hooves sinking slightly in the sands. “There’s nothing more terrifying than that moment - but you end up being more careful the next time than the first time, more cautious about everything. I had an idea of what happened to cause my loss, but it was so early in the pregnancy I didn’t want to believe it was a possibility. Rein, my son, was very active before he was born. It was solace amid my emotional terror.” She offered a bigger smile to the mare.

Yet, as the spotted mare continued, Rexanna knew she was right. Exotic names were different to everyone. She was used to hearing names like her own, but Adaeze was quite the exotic name as well. A small laugh escaped the Thief as her blue gaze sought the spotted mare. “Fair enough. Anything that ends with Anna is more of a commoner name, where I’m from.” She admitted, her smile fading slightly but still there. As she listened, however, she let the names that the woman had picked out for her stillborn child linger in the air. Kiada and Kianzo. “Those names are beautiful.” She admitted, shifting her weight once again and taking a slight glance out to sea - internally debating with herself whether or not she should ask to borrow those names. Perhaps they were more of a situational pick. Maybe she had better names now that if she were to end up pregnant again she could choose from. Or maybe, even, she might not ever want to bear a child again. If anyone, Rexanna could understand that.

They are very exotic sounding to me.” She paused, looking back to Ada and letting her gaze rake across her elegant face to try and register any sort of facial change as she began to ask her next question. “Would you… Maybe mind if I borrowed those names? I imagine I’ll only need one of them.” She tilted her head slightly, her gaze lingering on the mare’s face in the hopes that perhaps the mare would allow her to borrow them. As she paused in waiting for the mare’s response, Remy let his attention swivel between the two of them - back and forth a bit like a yo-yo, trying to capture each one’s facial cues. He couldn’t see very well, but he did his best to try and remember things in the change that Rexanna wouldn’t be able to.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding

Outcast
ali
   Adaeze</style>
  </style>

Her full attention was on Rexanna as she answered her questions. Naturally, Ada had assumed that the other mare would have been terrified at finding out she was pregnant again after losing her first child, but then she could have been wrong. The pale mare could have been a exceptionally brave and not fearful at all. She nodded her head, understanding the sudden desire to be careful and cautious, but sometimes being careful and caution just wasn't enough. When Rex admitted to having an idea about what had caused her to lose her first child Ada had to bite her tongue to keep from asking what. She knew how personal it was and how sharing that kind of information ripped the scabs off of old wounds. She also knew how talking about it from time to time helped one to heal, at least that was what Papa Echo had told her from time to time.

"I know what caused mine." She murmured as she turned her head toward the ocean. "The land I came from was horribly corrupt and was eventually ravaged by war. There were so many deaths it would take me a month just to list them all.  My tribe trained soldiers for the military. It became my job after my father was murdered." She explained. "The deaths of civilians, of our generals' families was pinned on me and everyone was screaming for my head. I was hunted and I was beaten ... and my child became another victim of war." She frowned as she thought about it. She could still hear Mawindo's infuriated screams and the thud of his hooves against her as he attacked. And she could still hear the pity in Tembovu's voice and see the look on his face when he finally stepped in and saved her. Ada snorted and shook her head, clearing the image from her mind.

"Those names are beautiful."

Ada had thought so, herself, when she and Jeshi had finally picked them out for their child. Her head turned and she looked back at the other mare as she began to ask a question. Her eyes widened a fraction and she was a little taken aback by Rexanna's request at borrowing the names for her own child. It would have been easy for her to say no, there was a small part of her that wanted to be selfish and greedy and keep the names to herself. But there was a larger part that wanted there to be a little Kiada or a little Kianzo running around Helovia. "Only if I can be the Godmother." she teased with a wink.

"."

Credits

Ears perked to her direction as Ada looked away from the Thief. Rexanna's azure gaze studying the mares face, listening and hanging onto the words she spoke of her home being ravaged by war. She gave her the smallest of nods, a frown succumbing across her maw as she averted her gaze. "No one should have to endure that." She murmured. "I'm sorry that it happened like that." She admitted, shifting her gaze once again back to the waters, pawing at the sands beneath her feet to prevent her from sinking as she stood.

"Mine wasn't quite like that. Where I'm from, we were trying to prevent a war. Long story short, I was raised a peasant, told I was royalty and got shipped off to be the next kingdom's prize to try and prevent the war from happening. I lost mine when the prince from that kingdom used his magic on me to find out who I really was." She shifted again, lifting her head back to the spotted mare. A faint smile crossing her features. "It's all just so terrible, but at least if you ever want to talk about it I'll be around." She admitted, the smile growing slightly but still hanging onto the sadness that both of them had been subjected to such torment.

"Only if I can be the Godmother." Rexanna's eyes sought the mare's once again, her smile growing. "Of course!" She breathed, nervous from thinking that Ada would say no - but understanding if she had. She really thought those names were quite beautiful. "You most definitely have that right, Adaeze." She nodded, extending her muzzle in the hopes of brushing the spotted mare's neck as a means of saying thank you.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
Rexanna
image | coding