the Rift

[OPEN] but ten times out of nine, I'm only human

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
Nymeria & Lilómiel
And everybody wants to know 'bout how it felt to hear you scream / They know you walk like you're a god, they can't believe I made you weak

The sun was setting over the ocean as she crossed the bridge.

It glowed in fiery white, bathing the ocean in red and yellow. It watched on like a single white eye, blind and seeing all at once; Nymeria could feel it watching. Light pressed against her skin, warm and comforting, turning her coat from shadow to steel. It illuminated the path ahead. Wet rock glistened. The ocean roared. Gulls cried. And there she was—silhouetted against the sunset, black against red, the waves crashing around her and foaming up in a furious crescendo of white.

She had never been to the other side.

She remembered that once she had stood on this bridge, crafting with her magic, making shapes out of the dark water below. There had been a boy at the time as well—a winged boy, electrified earth. At the time she'd thought his eyes remarkable; now she remembered nothing of his eyes, or even his words, at all. Would I regret this, were I still my younger self? It was hard to say for certain. Her younger her had been a fickle thing, both more vain and more self-conscious than she was now.

How rapidly she was becoming accustomed to change.

Lilómiel flexed his wings, coasting above her in the sea-salt air. The smell of the ocean, the way it pressed in on her, was both unsettling and comforting (it reminded her of Abraham; it reminded her of her.) As she walked she lowered her head, stride lengthening, mind wandering. She didn't want to taint her—her optimism—with unfortunate realities.

(Realities like: I need to hold my ground, do what is right, do what is necessary. Realities like: I need to leave the Falls.)

Sweat begins to shine on her skin as she takes the final steps, breath coming a little shorter as she halts before the shrines. The ledge looks out over the sea; above is the rim of the volcano mouth, glowing an eerie blue. Viscous lava flows and streams around the path, emanating heat. It is not hard to avoid, and instead only enhances the divine atmosphere.

Her pupils dilate in the darkening light.

Prayer does not come easy to her but she says them anyways.

Words, rising and falling: a stream, a river, flowing and ebbing, sometimes poetic, sometimes mournful, sometimes thankful. And in the end she finishes simply, without request, without animosity. "Show me the way."

image credits

@Ranjiri

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Going to the Veins wasn't something that I did often. I found that the place held a certain melancholy feel to it that made my heart ache. I knew why, though. I couldn't go there without looking at the Earth God's shrine. And I couldn't look at his shrine without thinking about my brother. I couldn't think about Hototo without reliving the events that lead to his death. I could still see Gaucho in my mind as he attacked my brother, I could still hear my mother's scream and her pleas to take her instead. Obviously it wasn't something that I liked to think about, but in the times where I found myself missing my brother so badly I would go there and I would stand in front of that shrine and I would think about Hototo. Sometimes I would talk to him like he was really there and it wasn't just a slab of stone that I was talking to. And I would always end by telling him that I loved him and I would ask the Earth God to tell him for me just in case he couldn't hear me.

Normally I would fly up and land at the shrines, but for some reason I didn't this time. I walked up the path and as I did I thought about the very last time I'd walked up it. I'd practically dragged a very reluctant Cathun with me because I'd wanted to save him.  He'd disappeared shortly after and I still wondered about where he'd gone and hoped that he would be okay. I decided as I walked up the path that I would pray for him even though I knew that he would hate to know that I did. He was such a jerk, but he was still one of my friends.

"Show me the way."

"Oh!" Never before had I gone to the shrines to find someone already there. Even when I'd met Cathun he was already on the path leaving the shrines. "I'm sorry, I didn't know there was someone already here." I apologized. I knew that prayer was something sacred and so very personal. "I'll ... I'll come back later." I offered before glancing at the Earth God's shrine. It would be there later, so i didn't mind waiting. I didn't want the mare (why did she look familiar?) to cut her time short just because of me, but I also hoped she'd say that she didn't mind and that we could share the shrines.

"."
wishing on a shooting star
     but dreams alone won't get you far
image credits

@Nymeria

aud pixel!