the Rift

[PRIVATE] So long reprise

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
[Oh look. RPing with myself again. Here’s lookin’ at you Sarah and Heather.]

I see her, like some dark mirage against the horizon. She is beautiful, and strong, and seemingly still unwanting of my company and then… and then she is leaving.

I had heard her call out for Cera and my Father – I would know her voice anywhere of course – and it had drawn me closer. It was not out of jealousy that I had come, you must believe me. But I had heard her voice and was simply drawn here…I know it was not me that she wanted to see, I did understand that.

But to be in the same place as she was? Well …

It was a free herd, right?

I lingered on the top of a sand dune, watching the events unfurl below. Ranjiri looked upset perhaps, and soon she was embracing both my Father and Cera. Was she crying? Perhaps it was only sweat glistening against her ebony cheeks but …

Ah! Suddenly she was in the air, gliding away. I felt myself frown slightly, and now curiosity bore me forward towards my Father who was walking away from the impromptu meeting that had been called and seemingly ended.  I spread my wings which burned and pulsed like the embers of a dying fire, and launched myself off of the dune that I had been standing upon. The air was warm and the thermals were more than buoyant enough to have carried me quite far, should I have wished it. But I didn’t – and so I angled myself downwards, spiralling in a gentle arc to land near my Father.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO

Gaucho turned away from Jiji, full of nothing but love and respect for the golden touched mare, but with the weariness of her decision painted in long dark lines upon his face. He had done his best to remove all signs of sadness from himself when Jiji was still before him – the decision was clearly weighty enough without his blubbering adding to it – but as he had turned away from her and towards the desert, he had allowed the sadness he felt inside of his soul to bubble over. She had been, after all, like a daughter to him. A daughter called away by her real family, and while Gaucho had always placed family on a pedestal, it didn’t help to dull the sting that he felt welling within his heart.

He had expected to patrol extra hard that day, to tire himself out, collapse into sleep, and see things with a more fresh set of eyes in the morning. What he hadn’t expected to see, was his son suddenly standing before him, slack jawed and staring.

”Rhoa?” The dun muttered, his thoughts still clouded by Ranjiri’s departure. Only Gaucho’s companions kept their manners, and both Mara and Vorsa offered an eager hello to Gaucho’s son.

The Wildfire’s countenance immediately stiffened as he fought to force his appearance back into the semblance of stoicism that it normally portrayed. Rhoa was an emotional boy at the best of times, and Gaucho doubted whether it would do him good to see his Father upset.

”You have new sister. Vinati. You meet her yet?” Gaucho inquired, trying his hand at being conversational. That was the type of thing Rhoa liked, wasn’t it?

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!

Odd

I peer around his shoulder, hoping to see my beautiful blackbird merely flying in a large arc. She didn’t need to come back here, but she did need to come back. To the Throat (if not to me). But she disappeared over the horizon, and I felt my panicked sea-green gaze immediately return to Father’s.

He was saying something about a sister, and it was almost enough to distract me. After all, it wasn’t often that Gaucho’s offspring came in single sets, but then again it wasn’t surprising that there was another of us running around. Mother had only returned … Well, I’ll bet that she returned exactly the age that Vinati is plus the amount of time it takes to fully cook a foal. I love my parents – I do – but sometimes I think there’s only sex between them. Oh sure, they’re affectionate with one another (though not lately?), but who doesn’t like affection? Even better if it comes from one of the strongest members of the herd and your chosen fuck buddy.

I swallow hard and force myself to dispel with this line of thinking. Mother raised me to be better than that, and I need to be.

I shake my head, causing my ashen forelock to sway slightly. “Not yet Faither.” I say, and then add quickly: ”But I will.”

Just not right now. Right now is about her.

”Father…where did she go?” I say, without context, my eyes staring plainly and pleadingly into his. Please say that you know, I silently plead. And please say that she’s coming back.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho grunted and merely nodded, displeased with his son’s answer. Not yet? The girl was already flapping about, exploring her magic, and her brother hadn’t even bothered to visit yet? What was it that Rhoa occupied his days with, if not tending to his family? He didn’t spar, didn’t help the crafters, wasn’t interest in healing. He simply seemed to be, without any real purpose. I will, Rhoa had promised. You better. Gaucho thought with a mental huff.

Because Gaucho didn’t know that his son had come to him with the intention of asking about Ranjiri already formed, he concluded that he had not done a particularly good job of hiding his emotions, and that it was his fault that the boy was asking. After all, that was the only ‘she’ he could be referring to.

Right?

Or was it perhaps Sohalia? Had worked leaked of his transgressions with Nyx? The ramifications of what that meant for He and Sohalia? Had Tae perhaps said something? It wasn’t long ago that he had divulged the information to his pale-faced child, but she hadn’t seemed as though she was planning on using the information against him.

”She who?” He grunted, ears flickering slightly as his eyes narrowed.

Which would it be? Sohalia, or Ranjiri? Neither was a conversation that he was particularly looking forward to having. But, he supposed, regardless of which, he did owe Rhoa this. Sohalia was his mother, and Ranjiri was more than just a member of the herd (well, ex-member). So, with an exhale, the sultan and khal of the sands waited to see which bad news his son was asking for.

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!

Odd
She who?

I keep my composure. I am nothing if not Sohalia’s son. I have seen my mother endure terrible knees with a face that an angel would weep at, and though my expression is far from the pristine alabaster mask that she often wears, I do not let what is on the inside, out.

Outside, I stare politely back at my Father.

Inside, I am dying. Dying, because everyone second my thick-skulled parent wastes is another moment that she is gone. Gone. I know it isn’t Gaucho’s fault that he was not raised with the Helovian tongue as his first, but for the Sun Lord’s sake. Ranjiri just flew away - who else would I be speaking of?

”Ranjiri.” I answered simply. Then, after a moments thought, I continued: ”I just saw you and Cera speaking with her. She appeared to be flying away from the Throat. I wonder where it is you’ve sent her. Where she is going.”  There. Is that clear enough? I certainly hope so.

I can feel adrenaline rushing in sloshy paths through my body, and I desperately want to bypass whatever it is Gaucho might have to say, and simply take off after her. She isn’t much faster than I am, is she? Surely I could catch her? But I know that Father wouldn’t approve, and that such acts would be entirely improper. No, I will learn from him what I can, for he surely knows. Then, I will make a plan based on that.

Perhaps she is merely going on a patrol somewhere outside of our borders.

Perhaps it is nothing at all.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Ahh. Ranjiri. At least that’s the easier conversation to have, though it is the one which weighs upon him more heavily in this moment. Gaucho waits until Rhoa has finished asking his questions, raising a questioning brow during the process as if wondering when it is the boy will finish. When it does, the Wildfire stands silent for a moment, as if wondering how best to respond.

Gaucho turned his blue-gray gaze upwards to the clouds, regarding them steadily. He wished that his problems could dissipate as easily as the storm clouds above did, but knew that they would not. Such was the burden of life. He inhaled deeply before turning his antlered skull back to regard Rhoa once again.

”Ranjiri gone.” He said after a long pause. His voice was thick and low sounding, trying to disguise the emotion that lingered below his thoughts. He considered adding more, but decided against it. Jiji had after all only called to he and Cera. If she had wanted others to know of her decision, why not tell them herself? He respected her privacy enough to hedge his answer with caution. That, and really, what more was there to say? She was gone, and he doubted if she was coming back. Family after all, had a way of getting into your heart and pinning you down.

Vorsa trilled sadly, bobbing her orangey-red head in agreement and flying around Rhoa’s head as if trying to offer encouragement. She couldn’t sit on the boy for fear of burning him, so this was the closest she could come to a cuddle of affection.

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!

Odd
I wait, because surely there will be more that he has to say. He took enough time gazing at the sky before responding, that he must have been thinking about something more than just she’s gone. Yes Father. I see that, that is why I am asking the things that I am. But the words remain on my tongue, and I only stare silently at him.

My father. My khal. The words demand respect, but unlike some of my siblings, such admiration for my Father has not always come easily. He was away for much of my life in the worst kind of way: because he was here the whole time. Simply too busy for his son. Which, might have been alright had nothing and Ivezho not left me to my own devices for so long and –

I realize that my mind is just rambling on and on as I wait for him to answer, but still he stands mute. This time he doesn’t even appear to be thinking about anything. I furrow my brows slightly, eyes widening as if encouraging him to continue. To go on. To answer the other things that I had asked of I'm.

I smile gently at Vorsa who circles me, offering her warm rays of fire as comfort. She is a comfort, but even her radiant brightness of enthusiasm is not enough for me right now. Right now I need to know about her, the one I love and have wronged and now might never get the chance to rectify. Helovia is a big place, and without more information from my Father my only choice is to leave after her immediately. If I lose sight of her with nothing to go on, it may take years to find her again. And I’ve already lost years with her once. I won’t do it again.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho misinterprets Rhoa’s expression is one of acceptance. In truth, it fills the dun with an inward gush of relief. To know that he doesn’t need to stand her palavering with his son anymore about Ranjiri’s whereabouts eases his mind. He doesn’t have the mental energy to wait on Rhoa’s ever question. He loves the boy and his inquisitive nature, but what business is it of his where Ranjiri goes? Gaucho is his khal, and as such, the boy should trust that whatever information he needed to have would be adequately given to him.

Perhaps if he had taken more time to speak with Rhoa, or if Rhoa had taken more opportunities to seek him out instead, Gaucho might have known about the boy’s … What? Crush? But Gaucho was busy and was almost everyone knew, was not the best at intuiting the emotional needs of others. If it was Rhoa’s desire to have a Father who could have tipped him off to Ranjiri’s departure, then perhaps the boy should have sought him out and offered the information up himself.

Exhaling slightly, Gaucho nodded his antlered skull in a gesture that said, Good. Then we’re done here. He moved forward, meaning to press himself against Rhoa’s flank as he passed as a gesture of … What? Strength? Fatherly affection? He wasn’t exactly sure, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. Knowing Rhoa, the boy would take it as some act of displeasure and send him spiralling off into a sulk for the remainder of the week. Gaucho hoped not, but his shoulder was already moving towards his son’s. Let the chips fall where they may.

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!

Odd
Father nods, and before I can register what this gesture is meant to convey, he’s moving towards me.

Is he going to hug me? Is this the part where he tells me that she’s deathly ill and is the way to say goodbye to a few others? Does he think I am so weak that I’ll need him to hold me up (will I, should that be his news? My legs quake at the thought). My mind continues to imagine scenarios which would cause me to need his physical support, but no hug comes. His wings do not spread. Instead, his massively blue-striped shoulder merely presses against mine as he pushed past me, almost as if we are standing in a crowded hall and this is the only avenue through.

I can feel that my mouth is open, but my brain is too busy fending off alarm bells of confusion to bother with my mouth. It does however control my feet, and I spin around abruptly watching his heavily muscled body continue to walk away from me.

What? What?

What just happened None of this was making sense, and now he was just … Walking away from me?

”Stop!” I called, and then realized how inappropriate it was for me to hale my father in such a way. Still, what choice did I have? ”I can see that she’s gone,” I began, trotting after him to close the distance he had placed between us, all the while grasping at diplomacy and striving to keep my voice level and neutral. ”But where has she gone? When is she coming back?” Despite my efforts, my voice sounds panicky and childlike. But now isn’t the time to worry about such things. Now is the time to milk my father for this information, no matter how long it takes.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Stop!

Gaucho’s ears pin against his skull, but only for a moment. He is not used to having others give him orders and his instinct is to immediately retaliate against it. But quickly his instincts calm. He means to turn around and face his son, but already Rhoa has trotted to his side. The dun raises a brow, for such impatience looks odd upon this son – this son who is normally so thoughtful and careful.

He can see the look of raw need that pools in Rhoa’s eyes, but doesn’t know why it is there. He supposes that it is none of his business, but in another sense, it matters in so far as what information he will just give out. There is Ranjiri to think of, of course, and what it is she would want divulged to his seemingly impatient man-child. As he had thought before, she hadn’t called to him to say goodbye.

Sternly, Gaucho looked at his son. He did have a far amount of trust for the boy, and the intuitions that all of his children bore and listened to were well honed. In actuality, he did think that Rhoa likely had a reason for this barrage of questions, and also a reason for not citing his need upright. He was keeping something from Gaucho … But that alone did not bother the dun. What bothered the dun was the idea he might say something Ranjiri wouldn’t want him to.

With a grunt, Gaucho exhaled again considering. At length, he decided that her location would be common knowledge soon enough. He wouldn’t tell the boy her reason for leaving, but surely her location was something Rhoa could find out sooner or later, on his own.

” Hidden Falls.” he grunted simply.

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!

Odd
I don’t know what is going to happen next.

Would I be surprised if Father showered me in a wall of flames for my rudeness? No.
Would I be surprised if he simply continued to walk away from me, ignoring my hale? No.
Would I be surprised if he gave me another one of those uncomprehending looks? No
Would I be surprised if he gave me another one of his non-answers? No.

After what felt like an eternity (though perhaps time just felt like it was running slowly because I was in such a hurry to be off), he spoke two words.

TWO. WORDS. I need answers, preferably in full sentences . But… Ah. I suppose I would take what I could get at this point.

Hidden Falls.

Why there? Hadn’t her Father died long, long ago? And Cera was here? I assume she has a mother, but it isn’t like anything has changed with regards to her, has there?

My mind whirls, and despite the fact that Father has finally given me an answer that I didn’t know, it isn’t good enough. If she’s just going to visit, going on a holiday, or going on a mission, that is one thing. But why call Cera and Gaucho to her before she left? What need for them did she have, if her departure was not expected to be lengthy.

I looked into my Father’s eyes pleadingly.

“She isn’t coming back, is she. “ Not  a question, not really. I figured it would be easier for him to affirm something that he thought I already knew, than to offer up his own answers. “She’s no longer a member of the Dragon’s Throat.”

Tell me I’m wrong. Tell me that I’m a foolish child who judged things too soon. Tell me anything other than yes.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Part of Gaucho wanted to ask what this was about – why Rhoa was suddenly so interested in what Jiji was and wasn’t doing, but his emotional fatigue had finally got the best of him. It took almost all of his patience to stare calmly at his son. What the Wilfire wanted was to fly until his wings burned and then sleep. He wanted to think of Ranjiri only with a fresh mind, and not with one that still stung as if he had been betrayed. He hadn’t of course, but in his current condition it certainly felt as though he had. First Sohalia and now Ranjiri? And both leaving him for a member of the Falls? Ahh…such comparisons were not fair, and that was precisely why Gaucho didn’t want to let any more of them create themselves in his brain. At least not tonight.

But Rhoa was still going on about it.

Clenching his teeth together to keep his composure, Gaucho offered one, deft, unmistakable nod of confirmation. Yes. Gone for good.

The Wildfire paused for a moment staring at Rhoa, as if challenging the boy to open his mouth and ask anything else. That, and Gaucho didn’t want to have to repeat this little song that they had just finished. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Or at least hold it until morning.

When Rhoa said nothing, Gaucho nodded again, though this time as more of a conclusion to their conversing.

”Don’t let family without saying goodbye.” He said after a moment, though it was unclear whether this was meant to be about Ranjiri, or if it was advice to Rhoa. ”And visit new sister if planning on being away for long.”

Image by Yewrezz/Nikki!