the Rift

[PRIVATE] Therefore I'm Mr. Misty Eyed

Kvasir Posts: 25
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 2 years
Adoptable

He had come to visit! Mother had let me go off by myself (She couldn't bear to look at him.. Did she hate papa?) to greet him. She had wished me luck, and I had bounded off without much thought on her. I was to excited to see him! In fact everything seemed to be great today! The sun was shining and the smell of the sea while strong was not overbearing. The wind wasn't bad either. A soft breeze whispered through the tree's, promising the summer heat and sweet caresses.

Ah yes. A perfect day. I pranced about, headed towards the border. Occasionally I just couldn't control it and SSSSSSSSSSPSHHHHHHHH!
Steam would explode out of my grey spots and I'd go galloping and bucking. Wings flapped wildly, sometimes I got air, but in a wild flopping manner I would land in a heap. So most of the time in my fits of excitement and steam I would pin them back so that they touched to gain as much speed as possible.

If I needed to slow down, well that was easy. Especially if I needed to fast! I would throw my wings out and the air would catch them and soon I was sliding into a stop. But not slipping. It was hard to get the hang of, but it was great once you got it. It happened to be something I employed as I galloped past the wall and threw my wings out to halt. My head swung upwards to search the skies for a black creature I called Papa. When would he be here? Would he be happy to see me?! Would he teach me his special language? Like what he had called me? Rizh.

It was something that I felt was special for me. Only me.

A grin formed as I searched the skies and my haunches lowered to the ground to sit. Steam rose from me as I waited for him. Papa was coming.

"Talk."

Kvasir
mama, just killed a man
put a gun against his head
pulled my trigger, now he's dead
mama, life had just begun
but now i've gone and thrown it all away
mama, ooo
didn't mean to make you cry

Notes:

@Rhoa
I tried writing it another way but it wasn't working. I figured somehow they had found a time for Rhoa to come see Kvasir and this is just how it went <3
[Image: 56a07107f15a9]

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
rhoa
        I WALK IN THE AIR, BETWEEN THE RAIN, THROUGH MYSELF & BACK AGAIN.
           To where? I don't know

In all that I had expected of parenthood, never had I even considered that I would only have limited access to my child. But that was the way it had gone, and I? I had let it. Already I was failing,  but my inability to understand and navigate the complexities of Glacia fixed me like stone.

She hadn't given up the child as she initially wanted to, but nor had she returned to the hot sands of the desert like I might have wanted. There hadn't been any point in arguing because there hadn't even really been a conversation. She had gone, with Mauja, to the Edge, a place I knew almost nothing about. They had gone, and I had just waited, until I was instructed that I might come and visit my child.

I burned with sadness and fury on my entire flight towards the Edge, but it was only as I got closer that I wondered and worried about what this meeting might actually be like. What was Kvasir like now?

The boy was not easy to miss - he was a perfect combination of myself and Glacia. The way that steam rolled off of him made me smile dully, for it was quite reminiscent of the way my wings embered rather than actually burned. I thought of Gaucho, and wondered what he would think to know that his magic had forged itself into two generations now.

"Kvasir!" I called down to him, spiralling towards the ground and landing lightly. My wings were open from my withers, wondering if he would embrace me ... or perhaps he was not as excited for this meeting as I was?

Outcast
Adoptable

I wasn't kept waiting long. Soon my eyes caught sight of the dark mass that was my father. I am quickly standing again, my excitement growing causing more steam to billow off of my body. Ears prick forward and my legs dance back and forth. I can feel the excitement deep in my gut. But also fear. What if he doesn't like me? What if papa is boring? What if he doesn't want me either?

The last thought is almost crippling and my wings and head lower to droop, my ears slowly lowering to the side of my head. It could be plausible. But why would he be here if he didn't want me? But I had shaken myself, caused doubt in my young heart. With a nervous stomach I waited. He circled above me, and the shuffle in my stomach grew worse, but it lifted as soon as I heard his soft baritones calling my name. My head raised again and my ears perked a bit. I remained where I stood however, waiting for him to land.

I wish I could fly like that...

The thought is fleeting and I look at my wings slowly flapping them. I could create strong winds, but I did not yet know how to fly. Returning my gaze to papa I find him grounded, and with wings open. A grin splits my face and I rush towards him for an embrace. My head struggles to reach his withers, but I manage it and my wings wraps what I can (mostly shoulder) tightly. He is fire, mother is ice, I am the in between. I watch in wonder as his under-wing dances in ember, yet give no heat other than the heat his body produces, and slowly my spots release the hot steam. He wanted me. He was here, and he wanted me. "Hello Papa." The words come out softly, as I was trying to contain my excitement. They where laced with joy however, and a small smile lifted my lips, and I snuggled even closer.

"Talk."

Kvasir
mama, just killed a man
mama, ooo

Notes:
[color=#000000][size=x-small][font=monospace]

@Rhoa

Odd
rhoa
           To where? I don't know

My wings wrap tightly around the small body before me, and I am suprised at how natural it feels. I would have thought I would have felt some hesitation, but I didn't. I had helped create him after all, but now, feeling him pressed against me beneath the halo of my wings, I knew he was my son.

"My rizh." I mumbled into the softness of his colt-fluff mane. Then quickly, because I realize he won't know what I said, "my son."

I pull back slightly so that I can get a better look at him. My sea-green gaze roams over his body, taking in the parts that come from me and the parts that come from his mother. His mother... My ears flicker and I force the thought from my mind. 

"Here - I brought you something." I turn my head, reaching in behind my wing where I had tucked the small charm. I clenched it gently between my teeth, bringing the bronzey branch out and holding it towards Kvasir. "The God of the Earth gave me this, a long, long time ago." I mumbled with a small smile, recalling the memory. "Every morning a small flower will bloom. And when you look upon it, no matter how far away I am or how long its been since we've seen each other, you can look at the bloom, and know that I love you."

Almost tentatively I held the charm out to my son. My son. My Father had never given me anything, but I knew it would have meant the world to me if he did. Then again, at least we had been in the same herd ... Would Kvasir even want a way to remember me? Would he want a daily reminder of an absent father who lived half a world away from him, in a land unrecognizable compared to the Edge?

"How do you like living in the Edge?" I ask curiously, part of me wanting him to say that he didn't so that I could suggest him coming to the Throat (Am I ready for that? Would I be a good Father to him? Do I want to try?)

Outcast
Adoptable
"My rizh." The warm sound of papa's voice echoes into my ears. "My son." I was his son. That's what rizh meant. Big wings wrapped around me, warm. Comforting. I was protected by this behemoth, by my father.

And he pulls away. Eyes of the same shade look at me, and my ears shift uncomfortably. Did he find fault in my design? I was half of him, but there could be something wrong. I glanced up, and for a moment his ears shift. But then he is speaking again. A gift? He brought me something... I watched curiously as he pulled a charm from his wing, and listened intently as he told me about it. He held it out to me, and for a moment I almost cry. Almost.

I take a deep breath, knowing I had to be manly. Papa was watching. And I reach and take the charm from him. It was really touching. "Thank you papa." I mumble softly. He loved me, and gave me something so I would always know he did. Momma didn't do that. I lift my wing, and spend a few moments placing it safely inside. My heart swelled as I did so. The gift meant a lot to me, and more than I was letting on. Just as I am finishing papa speaks to me, asking if I liked living in the Edge. I turned back to him, tilting my head. "Its nice. You have to be really careful though, because of the mists and the cliffs. It gets cold too. What is the Throat like? Is it really all sand? Can I come with you to see? Is it far away?" As I answered and asked excitement grew, before a sheepish grin fell on my features and I went silent. A slight shrug lifted my wings upwards and downwards as I looked up at my father through eyes he had given me.

"Talk."

Kvasir
mama, just killed a man
mama, ooo

Notes: You almost made me cry with that. <3 @Rhoa

Odd
rhoa
           To where? I don't know

I feel breathless hope and a great deal of apprehension give way to a torrential feeling of relief as Kvasir - my son - takes the gift offered. He seems to genuinely like the charm and I can feel my body begin to sag with happiness. I don't know why I'm holding onto this feeling that my son will reject me as a parent ... perhaps it is because the thoughts of rejection lurked so near the surface when I was his age. But he doesn't. He accepts me and the things I bring him.

"You are very welcome Kvasir." I say, my voice revealing some of the pride and happiness that I felt.

As he speaks I listen intently. My ears flicker back slightly as he mentions needing to be careful due to the mists. I had never considered that his safety might be in jeopardy here. Was the danger really so wide? Did he even know how to fly, should he fall off? I swallowed hard. Clearly his mother would not be able to teach him that skill. It would be up to me.

"No, no. The Throat is not all sand." I say with a warm smile, thinking fondly of my home. " There are large rocky canyons and other beautiful formations. There is also an inland lake - the Oasis, for drinking water and cooling off. It is very warm, but you get used to it." As he mentions visiting (seemingly no interest in moving), I bite the inside of my lip and force a smile. "Of course you can. The journey takes a few days, but we could do it together anytime you like. It is even faster when you fly. Have you learned to fly yet?"

I look down at him, the memory of practicing flying with Ivezho bright and tangible in my mind. 

Outcast
Adoptable

My eyes look up at him. He's my papa, and he was so much cooler than I thought. If only momma could be like he was. Or least as present. My bright eyes watched his face, and my ears stayed tuned to catch every single word. "It sounds so wonderful there... Maybe if I like it I could stay with you?" There is a lift in my voice, hopeful. Would he want me to be with him? Maybe it was more convenient to have me here with momma. He didn't have a kid cramping his style otherwise.

And excitement is released again in a bout of steam when he asks about flying. "Sometimes I catch air! But I don't know how to fly. Would you teach me?! Then I can be as awesome as you are papa!" A grin is permanently stuck on my face now, and my legs lift every so often in pure joy at the thought that maybe my papa would teach me how to fly. Then I could go wherever when ever...

The prospect of freedom. The idea that I could get places faster, and have my own independence. Even if momma did get mad. Sh couldn't take my wings away, and I could be free. I could fly off the cliffs and their would be no more worries. It would just be... Super awesome.

"Talk."

Kvasir
mama, just killed a man
mama, ooo

Notes: @Rhoa
I'M SO SORRY I TOOK SO LONG!
[color=#000000][size=x-small][font=monospace]

Odd
rhoa
           To where? I don't know

(I am 100% the worst. I am SO sorry)

His words strike me as if in a dream. Would he truly come to the Throat? Joy fills me so suddenly and strongly that I almost feel as though I need to take a step to steady myself. Instead, my wings shift to help me balance this emotional high I am suddenly flying on. Images of us flying over the bloody sands, of introducing him to my Father – who would be his Khal and grandfather – fill my mind. I could show him the Oasis, the fire bridge … Show him where Ivezho and I learned to fly and all the secret places that only boys who have grown up on the sands of the Throat know. I could take him away from this place of cold and mist, from his mother who tried to abandon him to an even colder world, and bring him to the light and the sun.

But is he only saying that to appease me? Would he willingly go, or is this some misguided attempt to merely bridge the gulf between us?

“Nothing would make me happier than to have you with me. But remember, it must be your choice. Even though you are young, this life is yours to live.”

He speaks of flying, and I can’t but help laugh a little. “That’s another benefit of the Throat my son,” I point towards the rocky cliffs and boulders that surround us with one of my wings, “the sand is much more forgiving when you fall on it.” I laugh, for I have fallen many and many a time into the warm embrace of the sands. “And of course I will teach you. Have all of your flight feathers come in?” I consider him showing him exercises to strengthen the muscles in his wings even before he tries to fly, but halt my enthusiasm. One step at a time.