the Rift

[PRIVATE] Teach me, and I'll remember

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Erthë stretched and yawned. The darkness was paling, shadows thinning and fading as the steely predawn light to the east announced the coming ascent of the sun. The meeting with the Goddess had dragged on and on, or so it felt to her at any rate, and sitting still in the midst of all that mist made her joints ache.

"I feel like an old woman" Erthë grumbled to Alune as she slowly walked around the clearing, joints popping and snapping for each step as she worked out the kinks. "Not even of age yet, and already I'm too old for allnighters like these."

It wasn't entirely true, of course. Erthë rarely slept at night even in normal circumstances. Pain, nightmares and an active mind prevented her from it while the moon was still up. Instead she used to wander about, emulating the patrols Tembovu performed at dawn - walking the borders, committing the layout of the land and all the small trails, glens, creeks and springs to memory. Some times she would play, like the foal she was, and pretend she was seer on an important quest for the sake of Goddess and Land. Only when the mists had burned away and the heat of day drove her into the shade did she usually sleep; shallow, fitful naps filled with shadows and unwanted memories.

Still, even though night was her most active time of day Erthë was not used to sitting along on meetings. Impatient and impulsive, she found it difficult to be there but say nothing, and though it was all very interesting it was generally also very boring. How the adults could do this over and over was almost more than she could understand - especially considering how their old joints must feel after all that standing around.

"Alune, about that lesson.... I can wait, if you need to sleep or so. I mean... I don't want to be a bother to you."

The girl smiled, but though she did her best to be considerate and patient - virtuous like her teacher -  she was unable to hide the reluctance she felt at having to wait even further. These lessons, if you could even call them that, were little more than kids story-time in her eyes. Alune seemed to prefer to teach by moral-building tales and examples, followed by some small task that would hammer down the message in her. It was slow going, too slow for Erthë's tastes - but, between slow teaching and no teaching, she knew which she preferred.

Waiting for the rain I'm bracing for the thunder
A twig that wouldn't sway in the wind

@Alune

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova

The dawn had stirred the blue stallion from his rest, pale eyes blinked away the last residue of dreams and fond memories revisited. The last tendrils of morning twilight highlighted his moon touched coat, coating it in brilliant hues and provoking the metallic sheen to shine where the pale speckle of stars lay upon it. Summoning's could be tedious on those who did not enjoy it as did, or those that found it a little mundane to listen to adults drone on about idea's and plans. Still, he had been cut from the Moon Goddess' tapestry from his homeland, he was designed, born for this noble duty from cradle to grave.

"So young to be calling yourself an old woman, your bones are still growing strong." He quipped gently back to the pale filly, muzzle pulled into a light smile. "I thought it was a national sport of the young, to stay up all night, playing games and causing mischief." Alune made it no secret that he worried for the filly, as he peered at her scarred legs. Too young to have seen the grisly truths of the world, too young to have willingly waded into it. Innocence had been stolen from the fair fae, though the world did not take into account the ages of it's inhabitants, it did not discriminate in who it marked and who it exalted.

Slowly, his form shifted to haul itself to it's feet with leonine tail curled across the ground, sweeping strokes to send silvered strands across the misted floor over and over. There was much to do now the summonings had ended, much to discuss with the King and Queen and relaying information to the rest of the herd. That could wait, on the Seer's account, he had promised Erthe her lesson. A lesson she should have.

As she spoke again, ears perked forward and then one slipped back against his silver hair. Alune did not find her a bother, it was refreshing to have someone so young be enthralled by the divine and the wonders beyond. The Edge seemed to be lacking in those who pondered and wandered the moonlit path. He wondered what she would think of his homeland, where the Moon Goddess walked freely among them on a daily basis and pale towers glittered towards the twilight skies. Would her bright eyes grow wide as she gazed upon his temple? With glittering waters which reflected the moons glow? One day, perhaps. When the Moon called him homeward, she might like to visit.

A more pressing thought pushed into his head, than musing inviting her to visit Thal'Sharah. Did he give the impression that she was a bother to him? He hoped not.

"Thero'shan," Alune began, a breathless chuckle rumbled from deep in his chest, "you do not bother me. You can come to me morning and night, and I would never turn you away, my lady. I've slept enough, if I feel tired later on, I'm sure I can slip in a nap somewhere." He responded with a firm nod of his crowned head, and a sly wink. The last tendrils of grogginess left his bones and his mind could fixate on the day ahead. He realized that his lessons were somewhat slow, compared to how others may teach. Hasty lessons, though time efficient, could leave holes and inconsistencies. He would rather take his time, and let the pearls of wisdom sink in.

"What would you like to learn today?"   

"talk talk talk"

The Arcweaver's Circle

Credits: Image by Danjah! @ DA

@Erthë
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

smitty the swift Posts: 22
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 1 :: 1
Unarchived per request.

Chan

Erthë returned his smile, a bit embarrassed and a lot happy to hear his reassurances. For all that she was outwardly confident and even brash at times, unabashed and never hesitating to voice her opinions, there had been a thorn of uncertainty lodged deep within her ever since her mother passed away. It made her question her right to receive help and affection from anyone, when the one she loved most had been forced to give up their life to save hers. Was it not her fault to begin with? Ought she not spend her life atoning, rather than receive so much affection and aid from the people around her?

This open declaration of her importance to such an important member of the herd made Erthë want to squirm with shame and boast to the world the extent of her pride. But she did neither, keeping a firm grip on herself as she instead turned her attention to the lesson. Woolly little ears swiveled to and fro as she considered the Seer's question, thinking about the summoning they had just attended and the Goddess' chiding words to Tembovu when he appeared alongside the subordinates.

"Well... I've been wondering about the Seers purpose. About what the role is of you, and us others who don't hold the ranks but still want to work for the Gods, within the herd."

"I mean,"
she added, trying her best to formulate her thoughts into something understandable, "you attend herd meetings, but other than that I've only seen you perform the summoning. And this time Tembu and Elsa was there and did most of the talking, and the Lady didn't seem very happy about it. Why is that? Did Tembu do something wrong? And is there anything I can do, even though I don't have a rank?"

There were more questions scrambling across her tongue, more worries and ponderings waiting at the back of her mind. But the young mare paused, her odd-colored eyes coming to rest on her teacher as she gave him a chance to formulate answers and - no doubt - pick out a good story to use as example.

Preparing herself for a lot of listening, Erthë decided that she preferred to have this class on the move. Tired of sitting still she began to pick her way towards one of the many winding paths that connected to the clearing and descended down it, sure that Alune would fall in beside her and that her slow, limping pace would be quite suitable for conversation.

In the distance she heard the muffled, drowsy chirp of an early morning bird - dawn had arrived, a new day was upon them.

@Alune

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova

There is another chuckle which rumbled from his chest, pearly silver's crinkled at the edges. She was a joy to have around, and she need not be so shy when it came to dealings with him. She was so young to carry the burden she did upon her shoulders, and he only wished that she would find sanctuary when in his presence, free from what had transpired in the past and into an existence of brief clarity and without the stones she wore around her feet.

He waited patiently for her to gather herself, there was no rush for her to simply let a tide of questions flow. Finally, she questioned the Seer's purpose — the difference between his own lofty station and those which made up the pillars he stood upon. It's an excellent question, though all questions to him, however trivial or complex.

Before he has time to form the first words of his reply within his maw, she spoke again, and the words disappeared on his tongue. His ears pressed forward, carefully and diligently Alune listened to her elaborate her earlier question and wonderings. Alune wasn't surprised to find that she brought up the last summoning, and the Moon Goddess' apparent displeasure of having Tembovu speak instead of her Seer. He himself had not been surprised, after all, Gods and Goddesses had their Wise One's for many things. They were tasked with the lore of their lands, seeing that the Goddesses divine will was carried out and to be a conduit for her to her people and vice versa. Perhaps the Goddess had taken it as a slight? That she felt that Tembovu saw him as a poor choice, that her choice was a poor one? He doubted it, but the mind of his most revered Goddess was a dark maze, filled with wonderful and terrible things at the same time. Oh, there had been tales of Equine and Dragon alike trying to delve into the realm of the Gods and being driven mad for it. One must tread carefully or be prepared for the dire consequences.

"We Seer's do many things, both of this land and not." He began, easily he slid into a pace to match his Thero'shan's. "In my homeland, for instance. I am my Goddesses Champion in all things. I am her conduit for when she cannot grace us with her presence, I am the religious leader of my people. An advisor to my Queen when Council must be called and she needs a voice that does not speak of War, and methods not followed by others who have earned her ear. On the other hand, when it comes to War and there are no more roads to be explored, I am her fury upon the field. I am her image upon the tide of battle." His goes silent for a moment, to collect his thoughts.

"We do many things, often though, we do not stand in the light as Kings and Queens do. Ours is not the path to become beloved by all." His thoughts return to his duty in Helovia and a smile appears on his hued muzzle. "Here, I am very much the same in some aspects. My role is to preserve the history of our land, and a conduit for the herd to come to when they need the Goddesses guidance. Perhaps that is why she was displeased with our King, that he would choose to talk to her personally, than let me commune with her, and from her to them. I do not lead the people as I did in Thal'Sharah however, as that task is left to the Kings and Queens of this land, I merely advise and see to my Philosophers and Sages, and we relatively work from the Shadows." Only then, a frown appeared upon Alune's dark face. "I fear the past has left a wary mark upon those in our herd and beyond, that they cannot see past their own mortality and emotions, to understand what the Goddess does is within our best interest. Many will not understand now, and many more will not in the future. Herd members do not seek me out, much less my followers."

Alune brightened though, after the brooding moment he bestowed on the past. "It is also my duty to see the other Wise One's of the other herds, something I will be doing shortly, I must know my fellow Oracles in this land. We must forge strong alliances with one another as it is the key to balance in all things divine." His head tilted to the side when his words finally turned to what those not of his position could do. "My followers, and those who are citizens of our herd can help in many ways. From spreading the word of the Moon, to finding those and bringing them to us to offer them a home and a place within our ranks — even talking about her magical gifts is enough to help. There will be tasks given at the Seer's meeting, to both those who cannot join, those that want to and those that have, to carry out to further aid our cause. If those interest you, Thero'shan."

"talk talk talk"

The Arcweaver's Circle

Credits: Image by Danjah! @ DA
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

Chan

As was her habit the young acolyte kept an ear trained steadily on her teacher as he spoke, but otherwise a casual glance might leave one with the impression that she wasn't listening at all. Her eyes roamed the surrounding landscape with restless hunger as her feet carried her down the familiar path, easily avoiding rocks and roots; if it hadn't been for the awkward shuffling of her legs she would have been graceful, and even now there was a practiced ease in the way she moved that suggested the girl was quite accustomed to her ailment.

The absent-minded look about her did not stem from lacking interest in what the Seer was saying however. Quite the opposite; the girl was so focused on listening that she barely registered anything else, the flickering gaze merely a reflection of the inner workings of her agile mind. For now she would sort the impressions her teacher imparted and separate the facts from whatever emotional response she might have to them. Later she would mull over it all as she roved the nightly forest, rephrase and repeat the wisdom until it took on a form she could remember, understand and live by.

The process was interrupted by one statement that jarred her, the swell of emotional feedback too great to set aside. Why did the Seer stand in the shadow of the King and Queen? Erthë had never thought to question this before, but now she frowned as she tried to put words to her swirling emotions, attempting to phrase and frame the indignation in a format that could be understood.

"I would love to help out if there is anything I can do" she answered, as Alune broke off with an offer he ought to know she would never refuse. "Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it!"

Erthë had a deeply rooted desire to be useful to the herd, to repay the kind souls residing in the misty forest for giving her a home to return to. Her love for the Moon was an added bonus, a clue to how she could aid her big adopted family.  The girl was curious about what it was he intended to arrange, but that one question burned so hot on her tongue now that it overshadowed even her craving for a task to complete.

"Alune?" she asked slowly, still struggling with how to phrase her concern.

"Why is it that the Seer is ranked below the King and Queen? If this is the Goddess' lands, and the Seer is her champion and voice... Shouldn't the herd benefit most from being led by the one who speak most directly to the Lady?"

As she spoke, the filly was reminded of a similar discussion she'd had with her father, and she brought it up now to hear what her teacher had to say about it; would his stance be different from Vadim's?

"I've always wondered why we accept those who aren't loyal to the Moon into the herd" she said, so interested in the reply that she turned her head to gaze avidly upon the star-speckled stallion.

"Wouldn't it be better if everyone who came here swore loyalty to Her, rather than the leaders? There are so many changes in the ranks, people come and go and the only real ruler seems to be the Goddess herself, even if she doesn't walk the forest in body. And if she is the true ruler, then I think it should follow that the Seer ought to be the highest ranked individual..."

Perhaps it was a radical idea. None of the herds in Helovia followed such a system, and no one paused to study the character and beliefs of those they accepted into their ranks. Erthë cared about all in the herd, but she was astounded by the lack of piety and respect some displayed, while others even went so far as to speak ill of the protector of the lands.

Why would anyone ever think to settle in a place when they hated the deity that governed it?

@Alune