the Rift

Figure in Gray [open]

Iathraia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Iathraia
I see the world in only black and gray

A dark shadow in the vague shape of an equine slunk across the thick snow covered ground, leaving behind petite hoof print sized indentions, marring the pristine blanket of white.

The chilly breeze nipped at my spotted hide, leaving thousands of needles littering my body and teasing my dished face. My blue predatory-like eyes focused intently from behind a thick curtain of chocolate brown frock, purple and yellow swirling inside of them like the crystal snowflakes dancing in the Frostfall’s breath. The narrowed pupils flitted back and forth repeatedly, searching for any sign of danger in the barren winter forest. With the leaves dead and shriveled up from the freezing temperatures, the long spindling boughs left naked without the cover of the green foliage, it was easy to scope out the desolate terrain.

My neck arched in a gentle slope as my charred maw gingerly nudged the white fluff. The snow masked most of the scents, though I managed to pick out the musty essence of various equines, all of which were stale and vulgar in my nostrils, their owners long gone and forgotten. Satisfied, I sat back on my hocks, muscles lax yet ears on high alert, constantly swiveling on the top of my tanned head.

Behind me, the sun waned in the bare frost-bitten canopy, surrendering its hold on the world and casting fiery oranges, pinks, and purples across the dull gray winter sky—a last battle before the yellow star's exile from its welkin throne. The iridescent light played across my hide, tickling my skin with its warm tendrils. My thin eyelids slowly slid closed as I gratefully took in the warmth of the setting sun. The winter was brutal from the Sun God's banishment, and it was only just peeking out after the short Orangemoon. I knew the chilling temperatures would soon devour the lands completely and mercilessly, coating the world in a blanket of frost and leaving my beloved forest frozen in time.

[OOC: I would prefer that no one asks her to join a herd, as she's most likely going to be in the Grey, though anyone may post. :)]

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi

Will your smile always be beautiful?

Even if you hide your true self.

Time was stretching the young Ghost's limbs as her floundering days as a foal were left behind. There was no emotion in those eyes, no recognition to where she walked and no care to who she smelt. She hated and loved none with no sense of loneliness touching her empty bodice. The little femme knew nothing of names or why her mother cared naught for her so. Hooves carried growing wings, a memento from her dead father, that sat awkwardly on her sides in colours of white, red and black. Not quite tucked in but not quite unfurled. Like a bird who learns flight by themselves so had she, the filly saw no difference between sky and ground. A horn, almost full grown now was the darkest shade of black and dangerously sharp at it's point. It was because she possessed both of these mythical features that frosted Mauja had seen fit to banish her and her mother. The elusive Worlds Edge she must never return to.

Word had not quite reached the young ears of Ghost about it's take over.

Her short absent stride flowed into the Threshold and straight into the path of a stranger who had spots on his hide. The little Ghost stopped to look at him, wondering if he knew what it was like to feel the world of emotion. Her mother had always said it was bad to have any, but even she was an exception to her own rule. It made the little femme want to know why. Why should she not feel nor think. Why did others feel the need to put labels on things, have names and ties to one another.

Ghost watched Iathraia and wondered if he knew why. The little girl was beginning to grow one emotion without even noticing it. Hope.

[Image: ghosttable.png]
image © imi
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Unregistered

Iathraia

The muted sound of snow shifting underfoot ricocheted off my white-tipped ears, sounding like the loud booms of a thunder storm compared to the deathly silence that encompassed the frosted forest. I felt my muscles tense beneath my hide as my eyelids snapped open, revealing the sharp cerulean orbs, various hues of gold and indigo churning inside of the irises like a tempest of brilliant color. From underneath the shade of a thick cocoa forelock, my eyes skimmed the surroundings for the threat of danger. My thin spotted pelt rippled over my neck as I turned my face slightly to view behind me.

A black figure then entered my peripheral vision, causing the turmoil inside my head to diminish. It was but a filly, or a young yearling, trailing behind my path like a shadow or apparition. Surprise distorted the delicate features of my amber face before returning to its normal mask. How the young creature had been able to move without a sound seemed to stupefy me, as normally foals were often clumsy on their lanky limbs. Maybe this one had grown out of that awkward stage, or maybe it was just a misgiving on my part. I had never liked being around the younger ones so I did not truly know of their habits, and my own foal-hood seemed dim in the depths of my mind, tucked firmly away to avoid any further pain of my past.

My tanned brow furrowed and my head cocked to the side as I wondered how to approach this child. A quiet irritated snout passed my nostrils at my own lack of social skills, sending a puff of tiny crystals into the chilly air. I then pivoted my body and took a few easy lithe strides toward the small filly, closing the small space between us.

I struggled to form my features to what I supposed one would approach a child—nurturing and soft compared to my normal sharp, cold glare. "Hello, little one." I purred, my average vocals transformed into the tender tone I recalled hearing in my own youth. "Why are you wandering in the forest alone and so close to dusk?" While keeping my open façade, I let my eyes examine the young fae, still ever so cautious.

The filly had an obsidian pelt darker than the night sky, but that was not what intrigued me the most. What was most interesting out the yearling was the stub of an onyx horn jutting out from her skull, paired with two black, red, and white feathery appendages. In my life, I had come across many winged beasts of the sky and horned unicorns, but never have I seen one adorning both rarities.

As my strange predatory eyes traveled back to the onyx orbs of the creature in front of me, curiosity caused the colored flecks in them to twinkle, and my ashy maw flickered slightly upward in a whisper of a smile.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA                

Light lives in the darkness beauty lives in pain
In destruction we may lose ourselves

But still I will remain

Ophelia's spirit was renewed with the idea of a force in the world of grey intentions. Neither wicked nor pure. Neither dark nor light. Simply reality. Simply the grey. She would never engage in the violence that was murder, but often, power and balance came simply from words, simply from knowing. Secrets were powerful tools, and the crimson and pale creature who now glided through snow-filled boughs was perfectly equipped for espionage. With a mind that remembered all in perfect detail, magic that allowed her to read others' thoughts, and a silver dragon with eyes that could see for miles, she was the perfect spy.

But, an honest spy, if ever there was such a things. Ophelia's heart was damaged but forgiving. She could find goodness in places where shadows pervasively seized the living. Even when her life, love and well being hung in the balance, she was able to forget the sins of others and embrace the kindness in her own soul. Still, she was not a fool. Extending such emotions would only injure her further, and she needed ammunition. Knowledge was her sword.

The mare's figure was a banner for the grey. White, pure coat with long, tendrils of hair dipped in bloody crimson. One eye a clear blue, and the other eye a bloody ruby. She was stunning against the white background, and her cloven hooves picked their way through the forest of the Threshold, wondering whether newcomers would be interested in becoming a part of this new, strange band of mercenaries, knowledge seekers and healers. Tinek flew quietly by her side, still much smaller than his potential size. He was young, and his thoughts in his mind were wild, vivid pictures and raw emotions. The dragon spied two creatures ahead, and Ophelia tucked her head to the side in curiosity, sliding forward delicately.

A young creature, too young to be alone, stood as an onyx ornament upon the white powder, but upon closer inspection, inky features depicted her in a much crueler light. The horn on her brow was sharp and crude in its color, and her eyes were pools of nothingness. Two wings were dipped in violence, just like her own mane and tail. Ophelia furrowed her brows in sorrow and why such a young, innocent creature was cursed with distancing features. What make this filly so undeserving of the world's affections or a mother's love?

In contrast to the two, monochromatic, winter creatures stood a mare of golden, butterscotch hues, dotted in warm chocolate. Her concern warmed Ophelia's heart, and the mare was pleased that she would not have to defend the foal's honor and make an enemy. Instead, she approached quietly, long, slender legs easily picking through the snow in a delicate, feminine gait. Evening was fast approaching, casting the leafless forest in a glow that danced upon their coats in a golden array of light. "Greetings," she said, her voice like distance chimes. "You are new here, yes?" she asked, addressing the spotted mare with a kind smile.

"And you, love, where is your mum?" she asked, turning her gaze to the young, obsidian filly. Open concern and care sparkled in her two toned, crystalline eyes.

[OOC: Sorry for the wait! D:]

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Nail my soul to the middle of a cross that fills this hole
I never understood the Written Word</style>

Her approach would have been silent if not for the rambunctious little bear cub that ran ahead, shaking every bush and snapping every twig in his path. Ktulu had quickly grown exasperated with the little bear, not knowing what to do to keep him occupied. Her tail was losing precious hair from her using it to bait the little bear along. She didn't remember Hototo being this wild as a foal. Ktulu frowned, the mere thought of her son like ripping a scab off of a mending wound. He was growing far too fast for her liking and was already venturing off on his own.

The dark mare paused when the little cub did, her ears tipping forward and her head tilting as he looked around. Then he was tearing off through the bushes again and Ktulu took off after him at a trot. He managed to slip from sight, but when she caught the scent of her sister and Tinek in the air she knew exactly where the bear was heading. She came upon the scene of her sister and another mare along with a young foal standing together. Ktulu looked up when she heard Eytan's claws scratching against tree bark and sighed quietly.

"Hello." She said as she swung her head around to gaze at the two strangers. Ktulu stepped to Ophelia and bumped her muzzle against her sister's shoulder. An ear tilted in Eytan's direction as the bear squalled in protest at Ophelia's dragon who was sitting in a tree branch that the bear would never be able to reach.

Red eyes studied the young foal, taking in the wings and the horn that adorned the child. "Do you have a place to call home?" She asked, concerned for the child's well being. Eytan squalled again then finally abandoned the tree and settled for gnawing on his bonded's tail in frustration.

Icon by Tay

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
[feel free to go around me guys! My replies are likely to get slower as the week goes on and I don't want to hold up anything important :3]
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Unregistered

Iathraia

With my full intention on the young ghost, I almost missed the ivory mare. Her steps were soundless, muted by the thick blanket of white snowflakes, and her scent was lost in the icy breeze that seeped into my thin spotted hide mercilessly. The only indication of an approach was the slight sound of leathery wings beating against the winter gale and the sigh of a tree bough as the flying creature perched. Though the sound was barely audible, like a whisper in a crowded room, my frost-tipped ears instantly became alert.

A shadow slipped in beside me as the graceful gait of a dame came to a halt. Taking my gaze off of the obsidian filly before me, I inclined my head toward the stranger. There stood a mare with a pelt of alabaster, the pure white of her bodice mirroring the crystal blanket coating the ground. Blood-dipped mane framed her duel colored eyes, one crimson and one ice blue, which radiated warmth and kindness. The two orbs matched her tone, which rang in my ears like the sweet chime of a bell. "Greetings. You are new here, yes?" A smile formed on her face, which seemed fitting for the ivory dame.

"Yes, I’m new to this land." I averred, returning her smile, though it seemed foreign to my face. I had no doubt that it would not look as genuine as the pale and crimson mare’s, though it was one none the less. "And from what I have seen so far, it is beautiful." I replied truthfully, as it was a remarkable land, unlike any other. The sinking sun seemed to cast a golden glow across the forest, causing the snowflakes littering the ground to twinkle in various hues of rainbow.

My wonderment was cut short by the bundle of brown fur that popped out of the underbrush before dashing toward a tree that a young dragon rested upon. It scratched at the frozen bark of the tree as if trying to climb the barren trunk to get to the silver creature, but obviously failing. I smiled internally at the bear cub’s futile attempts.

The rustle of foliage caught my attention, causing my cobalt eyes to return to the spot of which the furry beast emerged. A unicorn of the night stepped out onto the snow, her darkened pelt seemingly unaffected by the bright amber sun rays. A white pearly horn rested proudly upon her crown, the sharp pointed tip dipped in blood. Ruby gems glanced at the brown bear from behind a white forelock with the certain softness that a mother got while looking at their child, a small sigh escaping her charred maw, before resting her intense gaze on me.

"Hello," the dame said, her voice strangely familiar to the pale fae’s. I nodded in greeting, my darkened muzzle pulled into a small smile. My predatory orbs followed the ebony femme as she gently nudged the ivory and crimson mare’s shoulder. The resemblance of the two beings standing beside each other shocked me, their opposite colored hides mixing like yin and yang.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA                

Light lives in the darkness beauty lives in pain
In destruction we may lose ourselves

But still I will remain

Sad, that such a joyous expression such as a smile had not had an occasion to alight on the mare's soft, buttery face. Ophelia mused that she looked rather lovely with a smile, but she held her thoughts and allowed the other her space to speak. Helovia was a beautiful place, and the forests were pristine and white during frostfall, her favorite time of year. "This place is indeed beautiful, and very large," she agreed softly, her gaze wandering proudly from tree to tree. "The natives call it 'Helovia', and we have followed suit."

A loving smile spread across Ophelia's lips, and she dipped her own muzzle to touch her sister's cheek, returning her kind greeting. The black and white mare stood in such stark contrast to her own pale figure, but they were obviously very close. A baby bear tumbled into the scene with an air of destruction, and Tinek snicked in a dragon-like way when he was unable to climb the tree. Frost puffed from the dragon's throat, and he watched as the bear took to chewing on Ktulu's tail. With a flash of fangs in a grin, the dragon leapt from the tree, wings catching his mass on the wind and he ambushed the bear playfully.

Her sister asked the buttery and caramel mare with the lovely, chocolate spots if she had a place to live, and Ophelia seconded that question. "If you do not, my sister here, Ktulu, and I lead a small group of mercenaries, spies and healers who adhere to reality and truth instead of the fantasy most like to clothe themselves with." The crimson and pale wraith took a few steps forward on delicate, cloven hooves. "I am Ophelia, and the silver child is my dragon, Tinek." The mare closed the gap between them so they stood closer, like a tightly knit, familiar group.

"What may we call you?" she asked, gentle curiosity fixed in her strange, two-colored eyes.

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Nail my soul to the middle of a cross that fills this hole
I never understood the Written Word</style>

Ktulu tilted an ear back when she heard a grunt from Eytan and a sudden tug on her tail before it went slack. In her mind's eye she could see flashes of silver and white mixed with crimson and black and she knew that her and Ophelia's bonded were wrestling once more. She angled her head to peek at them, smiling to herself as she watched them writhe in the snow. Eytan tried valiantly to pin the dragon down, but the dragon was much more agile than the bear cub.

The dark mare flicked her tail then turned her head back toward the mare Ophelia had begun speaking to. "We do not condone racisim within our group." She said evenly. "Racism is nothing more than foolishness that blinds one to the truths of the world and life." She was no fool herself, though. She knew that there would be those that hid their racism and would wait for the perfect moment to strike. The only thing she could do was be prepared because there would always be someone who would let simple physical differences blind them.

"I am Ktulu the Constrictor." The dark mare said after her sister had introduced herself. "I lead the warriors of the Grey. The young bear is my bonded, Eytan." Ophelia moved closer to the new mare, but Ktulu held her ground and stood at a comfortable distance.

Icon by Tay