the Rift

[PRIVATE] silence like a cancer grows [goodbye]

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
The Poisoner

We made it, Aodaun, she murmured weakly into his head. The bear would cry if he could, if the Gods had ever given him the physical ability to shed his tears over the woman who had saved and sheltered him. She will watch over him, Aodaun comforted softly where he was laying beside his princess. She will love him. We will love him too, no matter where we are. And while the bear could not cry, the Poisoner still could, and a quiet trail glimmered down her cheek as she turned her face into the soft fur of her companion. I'm so sorry my love. I did not want to drag you into this, to take you with me. It's unfair. Aodaun made a soft whining noise in his throat and pressed closer to the skinny frame of his beloved. Glimmering eyes stared peacefully into Lakota's. 

I go where you go. Always.

And she cried, the devil of a woman who had been strong for too long. She cried in the face of her companion's unfettered affection, too pure for the likes of her damaged soul. She didn't deserve him or the love he always offered her. He didn't deserve to die alongside her, but she was selfish. She did not want to face the darkness alone, for surely a sinner like she would not face the light of the heavens. 

At her gentle, tired bidding, the bear rose. He left her crumpled in the leaves, too small, too delicate. A forgotten tangle of limbs. He could feel the poison killing her, the cancer that would take her tonight. She knew, as many knew instinctively, that this would be her last day. And he would fetch those that she loved so she may say her goodbyes. It was not how she wanted to be remembered, this broken, weak creature before them. She wanted to die valiant and beautiful. But life was cruel. 

At least here on her death bed, in this pitiful way, she would at least be granted the privilege of last words and closure. Even if it meant seeing for herself the pain she would cause. 

She would be forgotten too quickly. But the dead could not feel the sting of loss and abandonment. And that was the only thing she looked forward to, the bliss of oblivion. Of not knowing how quickly they moved on from her. 

Chunga-Stock

Lakota's death thread. @Archibald @Ktulu @Murtagh And whoever else if you think your character liked her lol
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah
if I don't reply to this, will she still die? :|

M
U
R
T
A
G
H
The boy and his cub had been stargazing, lying beside each other on their backs in an open meadow in the Falls - close to where they often slept with one or both of Murtagh’s mothers (and, rarely, on their own). Their heads laid beside each other as their bodies sprawled out in opposing directions, cheeks brushing when one moved with excitement to point out a new constellation that they were naming - a new cluster that reminded them of someone they knew and loved. Already Murtagh had found both of his parents, with their accompanying bears, and his sister. He wished that they could find Sorellina’s parents too, but she had hatched for him and didn’t know who they might have been.

The thought made him sad, to which she gestured with a small growl toward the stars of his family - which had become her own.

With the soft fur of Sorellina’s cream and brown face brushing against his cheek, Murtagh had been starting to drift to sleep when the rustling noise of what was unmistakably a bear. His lavender eyes flashed open and a lazy smile lit them up as he flopped over on his side to greet whichever one it was. “Nevoso!!” The nickname for the polar bear was habit and he scrambled to his feet to greet him with enthusiasm - Sorellina doing the same as she bounded toward the other bear. They were both checked, however, by his mood. Something was wrong.

Sorellina called out in a cautious cry as she tried to figure it out and Murtagh was just as baffled. Why was he being so serious?

They followed him in anxious silence, finally coming to find Lakota where she lay. “Mammina?” Murtagh hurried forward, hurried to stand near her and reached out to nudge her gently. “Mammina what’s wrong?” Maybe she was sad! Or feeling a little sick! It was a good thing Aodaun came to get him, he’d be sure to make her feel better. “Sorellina and I were stargazing, do you wanna join? We found our family! I can show you.”
Image Credit
table by Sevin
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Lakota & Ktulu
The Poisoner & The Constrictor

It wasn't often that Ktulu slept during the night. She usually stood awake watching Murtagn and Lakota as they slept. She was often away patrolling and sparring, so the evening were the time that she got to spend with her family. it was that time that she got to watch them, to see them and appreaciate the time she had with them even if they were asleep. She sacrificed the time that she could be spending with them in their waking hours in favor of making sure they were kept safe. The mare often wondered if they understaood or if they resented her position and the time she spent away.

She was dozing when  Eytan roused her as his closest friend came near. Ktulu blinked the bleariness from her eyes and listened the two bears exchanged their greetings. Ktulu, thinking that Aoduan had simply come to fetch Eytan for a game began to drift back to sleep only for Eytan to rouse her again. 'We have to go.' The grizzly grunted as he began to follow behund his pale counterpart. "What? Where?" Ktulu muttered sleepily. 'Kota.' The bear replied. 'Something wrong.

Ktulu felt as if she had been doused with cold water. She was wide awake and was following behind the two bears as they lead the way to Lakota. Anxiety made the dark mare's skin crawl because there was many different reasons why Lakota would need her and would send her companion to get her. None of what Ktulu could think of was good and  it lead to a sense of dread weighing her down as she moved through trees and bushes.

When the trio finally made it to Lakota, Murtagh and Sorellina were already there. Her crimson eyes traced over the thin form of her mate and Ktulu frowned deeply. It had been a long time since she'd seen her that thin and she wondered if the Poisoner were starving herself again, but why? Why would she do something like that again, it didn't make sense. "Kota..." Ktulu murmured as she drifted closer. Her head dipped down as she reached to brush her muzzle against Lakota's cheek. Tell me whats wrong.

"."

Icon by Tay

Lakota
The Poisoner

The bear cannot hold his princess accountable for the pain he feels upon seeing the excited, naive expression on his cub's face when he comes to fetch him, or the worried pinch of Ktulu's expression when she awakens to find him encouraging her helplessly forward. But it hurts his heart to feel the shadows of death on his own doorstep, to know he and she - they - will soon leave these beautiful souls alone and broken with their absence. He is glad he cannot speak to them as he can his princess, because he would not know what to say. That terrible pain will be reserved for his bonded, and he does not envy her the agony of telling the two most precious to her that she is fading forever. When he returns to her he helps to prop her up once more, for she is too weak to stand any longer. 

Lakota knows it is what she asked for, but the fact that it is her beloved son who arrives first makes this so much harder. He does not understand, cannot, and she knows that before his innocent words caress her ears. He has never seen a sickness like this, and she regrets that hers will be the first, the one that takes her from him. "Buonasera, mio bambino," she murmurs, too weak to lift her voice much louder. Her dark lips turned to embrace him as he nudged against her, drinking in his scent desperately, needing it to embolden herself. "Not now, mio amato. Mammina is feeling very sick, and we need to wait for your Papa." Her voice chokes, because then Ktulu is rushing in, clearly tired and still haggard with work and worry. 

Ktulu's touch both strengthened and shattered the Poisoner, who turned her face into her lover's dark visage, face crumpling with pain that transcended all physical and mental borders. She had never wanted to die like this, where she had to watch her family suffer in her last prolonged moments, and maybe that selfish desire had created this backlash of unfair departure. "Ktu," she hushed in a strained voice. 

But she can't leave this any longer. She doesn't know how much time she has left. 

"I love you both so much," she chokes, and she can't even recover her pride enough to hate herself for the weakness she is showing. Lakota scarcely blinks, wanting the image of her family to carry her on into death. "I have been sick for a while now," she manages to spit out, because if she doesn't start now she fears she never will. "Since Archibald sent you on your journey," is explained quietly to Ktulu. Everything hurts, but she cannot leave them without an explanation. 

"Resplendence disappeared at the same time. I thought it was just the season...but it did not go away. And I was watching over you, bambino, and did not want to leave you alone for the moons it would take to visit another herd. And your mammina is not always the nicest, I could not ensure they would accept me." A wry grin crosses her tired, drawn face. She had not had the energy to make it by that time either. Her violet eyes flicker to Ktulu, wondering if she knows, now. If she suspects where this is going. 

"By the time I finally found a healer..." her voice chokes and she can scarcely breathe. "There is nothing they can do for me now. It will take me. I just wanted to last long enough for you to come home, Ktulu," and a silent tear creases her cheek, gritting her teeth against the pain of all of this. Perhaps it's her just desserts, to go out in such a painful way when she had caused so much of it herself in her lifetime. 

"Mammina is dying, baby," she cries softly to her son, her heart convulsing with agony. That she must be the one to explain this passing to him, that her own death will be the first he experiences. 

Chunga-Stock
Plot with me here!

Lakota & Ktulu
Nothing good ever came from a choked confession of love. A sense of impending doom shrouded itself over Ktulu as she listened to Lakota tell her and their son that she loved them. "No..." She caught herself whispering as if denying it would change what she could feel in the very marrow of her bones was coming. Her head shakes when Lakota admits to being sick, another denial that is meaningless against whatever sickness has invaded her love's body. She felt as though Lakota had driven a dagger right into her heart and twisted it mercilessly. "I.. I wouldn't have gone if I had known." She breathed, but it changed nothing. Lakota had suffered while she had been away, lingered and waited for her to get back and even when she'd returned her duties had consumed her. "I'm sorry."

The Constrictor fell silent as her love continued to speak and, in her desperation, her mind latched onto one name. Resplendence. Resplendence disappeared. Resplendence, the mare who was supposed to make sure the herd was healthy. Resplendence, Resplendence, Resplendence. This was her fault. This was all her fault for not being here. For not caring.

And now there was nothing they could do.

Ktulu stared with disbelief. "What?" There was nothing that they could do? "Damnit Kota." She said, her voice strained under the weight of a thousand different emotions. "Damnit! You can't go out like this!" She refused to accept that Lakota would just lay down and die. No, the Lakota that she knew and loved would fight tooth and nail to stay with her family. The Lakota she knew wouldn't allow some sickness to dictate when her life would come to an end. "You have to fight it! You can't leave us. You can't leave me. I need you.

"Mammina is dying, baby."

"No!" Ktulu said and she shoved her muzzle against Lakota's neck in an attempt to make her rise and stand. "Fight it, damnit!" But even as she demanded Lakota to fight she knew that the other mare had nothing left. She'd hung on and fought for so long and ... it was just to say goodbye. The realization hit Ktulu like a kick in the gut. "Don't you tell us goodbye, damn you!" Her voice cracked. "Tell me what to do. I'll fight for you. Just ... just tell me what to do."

"."

Icon by Tay

Lakota
The Poisoner

Sad violets turn to Ktulu, struggling and coming to terms with what Lakota was revealing to her. She was so strong, so beautiful, and it meant something to know that Lakota's death was effecting her this way. A bittersweet reminder of Ktulu's love for her. Even if it hurt her even more to see the clench of pain across Ktulu's face, the denial of what Lakota was saying. But Lakota did not blame her for her loyalty to Archibald and the Falls, for taking up her rank that she had always excelled in. "I did not know until you'd already gone," she consoled softly, never wanting Ktulu to feel guilty for this course of nature. It was nobody's fault, and Lakota had had ample time to come to that realization and comfort herself with it. "Don't apologize, il mio amore. I would never have let you stay for me, not when I thought it was only a cold." For that's all she had thought it was, back then. Neither of them would have thought twice about it, especially not when Lakota had been a healer herself. 

The woman had anticipated Ktulu's outburst and brought her eyes to her beloved's with a calm, steady stare. "I'm fighting every day, Ktulu. This isn't...this isn't an enemy I can strike down, it's my own body turning against me. But Murtagh came first, you know that." Her voice cracked on the last sentence, pleading for Ktulu to understand that Lakota wasn't just laying down and accepting it. Every day of life had been a challenge, every breath an effort. Her beloved's brisk, hard rub against her neck finally roused the exhausted dame. And with Aodaun's gratuitous help she managed to climb slowly and painfully to her hooves, lungs caustic and wheezing. It had started there, after all, and it made moving so much more difficult when she relied upon them so much. 

She turned and drew Ktulu close, limply grasping her mate's mane and tugging her in. "I've gone to every healer I know. But I'm not ready to go, Ktu. I don't know what else to do, my love," she admitted. And like a spark going off, Aodaun jerked against where he was waiting beside her, a sudden idea flaming to life in his head. What about the Gods? We could not leave cub before, but now with Ktulu... Lakota didn't want the daring hope that he presented her with, but if it would soothe Ktulu, if it would give Lakota another chance at life...

"If you can help me to the Veins...maybe there is something the Gods can do. I love you Ktulu, I will fight as long as this body can sustain me to stay with you," she vowed, eyes like violet fire as she stared into Ktulu's rubies. How long her body could last was debatable, but Lakota would fight and claw for every beat of her withered heart if it meant consoling Ktulu. 

Chunga-Stock
Plot with me here!

Lakota & Ktulu
"I'm fighting everyday, Ktulu."

The admittance forced the air out of Ktulu's lungs sharply. Of course she knew that Lakota was fighing. And she knew that it wasn't an enemy that they could take on and defeat together like they had so many times before. But she didn't know what to do or what to say. What can you say when the one you love tells you that they're dying? What do you say when you know there's nothing you can do to stop it or to protect them? Ktulu wasn't used to feeling weak and powerless and as she stood there listening to Lakota that was exactly what she felt.

"But Murtagh came first, you know that."

"Yes." She whispered, but she wanted to say so much more. She wanted to shout, to scream, to demand what Murtagh would do without his mother because she didn't take the time to tend to herself. What good would it do to throw that at Lakota? What good would it do to make her feel worse? Still, their child needed his mammina. He needed both of them to be there for him. "There has to be something we can do." She mumbled as Lakota rose to finally stand. "There has to be..." because you can't leave me yet. You can't leave me. I need you.

Ktulu was compliant as Lakota tugged her closer, her hooves shuffling and her head lifting so she could drape her neck over Lakota's and pull her closer. Again, Lakota said that she'd been to every healer, but Ktulu wasn't ready to give up. There had to be something that they could do. "I know." She whispered. "I'm not ready to let you go." But what could they do? How could they make her better?

Lakota's sudden suggestion that they go to the gods gave Ktulu a little bit of hope to grasp on to. Maybe they could help. She could quest and find a way to save Lakota. She could even trade places with her if they allowed it so their son could still have his mammina. "Okay." She agreed, her voice strained under the weight of her emotions. "Okay, we'll go."

"."

Icon by Tay