Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: III
Eshye
@eshye
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

She was afraid.

Her brother’s voice echoed in her mind, and though it had kept her company since their separation, the words haunted her. He’d made promises she wasn’t sure he could keep, but she was certain that her heart couldn’t break any more than it already had.

She felt such mixed emotions as she wandered west, and at times she wondered if they would consume her entirely and she, too, would disappear. But still she carried on, driven by her brother’s words.

After days of chasing the setting sun, she finally found herself amongst the trees. She’d always liked the idea of forests, but they were difficult for her to manage. Those silvery broken eyes of hers stared off into nothing as she moved slowly, precisely, through the woods.

She had wondered what it would feel like, to cross the Threshold. Her brother’s theory was a sound one. He’d learned from their father that the Void was undoubtedly magic in nature, and he was certain that Helovia could be the cure to their family’s curse.

But she felt nothing, except a twisting loneliness that had made its home in her belly.

As she slowly picked her way through the trees, she wondered if the forest would ever end. She stopped, tired, and stood with her head held up. She strained to listen, wondering if someone would find her, help her…

And a part of her felt butterflies keeping that writhing loneliness company in her belly, as she held her breath and waited, wondering if that someone would be her brother.
★ harm her if it pleases you,
but death is not ready for her yet

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
I said to the sun—what's the Big Bang like?
the sun said—it hurts to become
Birdsong. I was older, I aged in the time of spring and sunshine, along with my sister. But she wasn't by my side to celebrate our aging. She wasn't by my side, again. That was no fault of hers, though. I was to blame for the miles that separated us over and over again. I couldn't help but wonder how she was doing, and whether or not I should visit her sometime soon.

Would she hate me for being an absent family member? I had my own loyalties now, to the herd (which I had left my sister for), to my rank. As a Captain, the time I had for relaxation was dwindling. I had been slacking on my duties lately, so a birthday reunion didn't seem fitting just yet. I needed to go on a patrol, I needed to spar.

But I couldn't find any of the damned Protectors of the Edge.

It was frustrating, causing me to fly from the Edge with a fire stirring in my veins. I was determined, then, to find someone to spar. I began with the Threshold, knowing my chances of running into another horse were high. Lo and behold, my search for an equine was easily fulfilled.

The shape below was dark, but wove between the trees with unmistakably equine motions. I landed a good many strides away from the horse, certain that if it wasn't a member of one of the herds, then members would flock to it. Perhaps even a Protector of the Edge might show up and I could help the lost soul, then kick the Protector's ass. At the time, this seemed like a solid plan.

So I strode up to the dark stranger, my sides heaving a little bit, my smoky breath heavy from my flight. The stranger was taller than myself, though I was stockier, and I dubbed the mare to not be a threat. I suspected that the mare wasn't of Helovia, for she didn't smell of any particular herd or land in this realm, so I decided to greet her with a vaguer tone than I would a herdmember. "Hello there! I'm Auriel, Captain of the World's Edge. Can I offer you any assistance?" I stated cheerfully with a bright smile, my amber gaze searching around the trees to see if there were any horses lurking in the shadows that I had missed.

Welcome to Helovia! :D @Ravel
image | coding
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Ravel Posts: 15
Outcast
Eshye
@Auriel
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Her ears flickered as she heard the sound of large wings working overhead. For a fleeting moment, the feeling of empty loneliness in the pit of her stomach had fear for company. It faded away and took a bit of the loneliness with it, leaving her turning her face to greet this creature as the wing sounds grew louder.

This being breathed heavily, and Ravel was thankful. If she had to fight, at least she might have some advantage.Of course, running was not quite an option for her, though she considered it still. But her brother’s words comforted her, reminded her to be brave.

And then a voice escaped her company and Ravel almost sighed with relief. This being did not seem to be a threat, at least not just yet, and Ravel nodded shortly. “Hello,” she echoed. The word was soft, hollow, and was quickly carried away on the wind.

Then she tried again, with a smile, “I am Ravel.” These words were softer yet, but the wind could not take them away so easily. She lifted her head up quite high and aimed her eyes at Auriel as best as she could, staring over the top of the captain’s back. “Am I mistaken when I assume this is Helovia’s Threshold?”

She was overwhelmingly hopeful, and the feeling filled her up until she was sure she could not move. But move she did, as she blinked, hiding and revealing those pale eyes of hers in a slow, slow blink.

prissy
Thoughts of my sister and of sparring faded rapidly from my mind, for the longer I looked upon the inky face and eerie silver gaze of the stranger, the more I was enamored by her. She was simple, but lacked no mystery. Her gaze couldn't seem to settle quite right on my body, her own thin, ebony frame moved in a way both awkward and elegant. There was something about the raven-like woman that I simply couldn't name, let alone fathom at that time.

Her voice was hollow, and delicate, a suitable mate to her inky, diaphanous bodice. Ravel, she smiled softly, oddly, somehow. My breathing slowed at last, my brow furrowed and head tilted to one side as I listened to the apparition of a woman speak. She didn't even seem to bat an eyelash at the smoke coming out my nostrils, or my wings, or my horns. My appearance, so outlandish compared to hers, didn't seem to phase her one bit.

Oh.

Blind. Gotcha.

Would the Edge be all right with their Captain bringing in a mare who lacked sight? She would be no Protector, but perhaps a healer or wise one, maybe even a crafter. Oh, but who I am to tell people who they can or cannot be! I didn't know this mare, I had no room to judge her. Besides, maybe she wasn't blind after all. Maybe she was just...feeling ill?

“Am I mistaken when I assume this is Helovia’s Threshold?”

Ohhhh.

Maybe she didn't act strange about me because she was used to the weird shit happening around Helovia. I mean, there's a lot of normal shit happening around Helovia, but it's not like weird shit is uncommon. But I was making assumptions again. I didn't know her.

"No mistakes burden you there. Welcome to Helovia, my friend," I stated slowly, delicately, my tone noticeably different than before. The woman intrigued me, afflicting my words with a cautious, perplexed vibrato. The haze of smoke that swathed my vision dissipated as I mulled over what to say next.

Do I offer more help? I already offered her help. Fuck. This Threshold stuff was hard.

image | coding

Outcast
Eshye
@Auriel
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

And as the captain spoke, Ravel’s head shifted just so, trying her best to aim her face at the words that had changed. Her friend’s voice was different then, but Ravel enjoyed both versions. A soft sigh of relief left her as the words sank in. She’d made it to Helovia. She’d survived. At least she’d fulfilled her promise, now it was his turn.

Her mind wandered then. It raced, as she hoped he soon would to her. She thought of where he could be, at that moment. If he’d found them yet. If he was on his way to her. Or if he was lost. She wondered if he missed her as much as she missed him. And even briefly, she wondered if she’d even be with him again. The thoughts caused that twisting, aching feeling in the pit of her belly to grow, to reach and claw madly at her insides, and oh! Her fractured heart felt so very, very heavy in that moment.

But she hadn’t forgotten about her friend. Perhaps this new acquaintance would think her odd as she stood there, quiet. And so she picked up her smile again, for it had fallen. She was certain her new friend’s voice could ease her mind, could strengthen her heart.

“Thank you, Auriel…” she paused for a moment, then continued. “Is the World’s Edge truly the end of our world?” The thought intrigued and amused her. A blind horse at the edge of the world? Her brother would be proud of her if she could tell him that she’d survived it.

prissy
Silence settled between us, between the raven and the hawk.

I studied her milky orbs as she quietly stood before me. She looked ghostly, as if at any moment she would cast a sorrowful smile at me and turn into a cloud of smoke, and whisk her spirit away to find better creatures to have a soiree with.

The silence didn't last. She thanked me, and I offered her a nod, which I soon realized was a pointless gesture if she lacked sight. Force of habit, I guess. I forcefully blew a lightly frustrated breath from my nose, the tendrils of smoke darker than usual when they veiled my sight. "My pleasure," I stated with a small smile, wondering again if my gestures had any use.

Fortunately, I didn't have to wonder about this for long. Ravel spoke, her delicate words softly filled my pricked ears. I had to stay quiet for a moment. I mulled over her question, tossed the words around in my head. It took me a second or two to piece together what I considered to be an adequate response. "I'm not sure. I think they call it the World's Edge because of the cliffs at the herdland's borders. It's a long way down if you fall. And beyond the cliffs there's just ocean," I stated, pausing for a moment to let my pale amber gaze slip to my hooves in thought. "Maybe it's not the end of the world, but it's the end of our world," I spoke softly, my tone changing again (three times in a handful of minutes—this has gotta be a record).

I shook my head slowly, a bemused smile coming to my lips. I exhaled a smoky breath and shut my eyes, mentally dismissing my own words, my own thoughts. "I can take you there, if you'd like. It's a bit windy, but I'm sure you'll find it more comfortable than the Threshold," I offered, trying to sound brighter, and letting a gentle smile find my pink lips.

image | coding

Outcast
Eshye
@Auriel
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Ravel enjoyed the small moments where silence filled the space between them. She enjoyed the captain’s company, even when they did not speak. But when her friend spoke again, Ravel did not miss the quiet. She thought perhaps she heard the mare smile in her words, and her own smile grew.

She listened carefully to the mare, hanging on every sweet word as though she were desperate for them. And she was, maybe, desperate for the company just then. The mare’s words were easing that sinking, twisting, horrible feeling deep inside of her and she was thankful. So thankful.

The tone of her friend’s voice changed, and Ravel tipped her face as best she could to the mare. Ravel enjoyed the way she spoke still, and the things she said would be cherished by this long legged creature. She wanted to hear more of this mare’s musings, learn what she knew and of what she thought, of this world or any other.

And then, an invitation. Ravel’s heart, broken still but now less so, swelled at the thought. The generosity of her new friend elated her. For once, Ravel did not allow the silence to stretch between them. Instead, she stepped gingerly towards her friend, placing her hooves ever so carefully. “I enjoy the wind,” she said, almost in a breathy whisper. She stretched her long, slender neck towards the mare as she moved, seeking out the warmth of her aura with her velvety muzzle.

“I would love nothing more, than to follow you to the Edge,” she breathed as she closed the divide between them.

prissy
My pale gaze flicked up, and sought every crevice of my friend's face. It wasn't that my hooves had grown to be a mundane sight, but rather, my ebony nymph had begun to dazzle. Had the light shifted, was it stroking her face differently? Was it the growth of her smile, the tip of her head, the sliding of her locks framing her oh-so delicate face?

My lips fell slightly apart as I studied her, even more so when she took soft, precise steps closer to me. She slid through the shadows, through the lights, and a thought struck me: did she know the sheen of her own coat when it the sun kissed her sides? Did she know how her milky eyes looked when they sought nothing and everything at the same time?

Stop thinking this way, I told myself dismissively, half-heartedly.

But then, “I enjoy the wind.” Oh, she breathed her lyrics in the most enamoring of tones. Every thought I dismissed broke their floodgates, and swallowed me whole (it seemed I had forgotten to dismiss them a second time—or I didn't want to). Her skin, her hair, her eyes, her lips, her, her, her. My thoughts strangulated my smoky breath, and sent me fumbling for a response. Oh, but every tender whisper my mind conjured was quickly drowned by the swells of my heart. This simply made its rhythm all the more tumultuous.

The space between us felt like an eternity to cross, to close, until my flightless raven was upon me, and when she was, all I could think was closer.

ummm I was listening to close by nick jonas when I wrote this and now auri might have a crush on ravel sorrynotsorry
@Ravel I'll tag you in a welcoming thread in the edge :D

image | coding