[OPEN] Rooms of ruin

Ru'in Posts: 39
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 0 - Birdsong
Odd

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down

[Still trying to figure out how to write him. Bear with me! :D]

So far, Ru'in had no real judgements about the state of his existence. He simply was and his expectations of life, liberty, and meaning were at this point, non-existent. Though he had realized a few developing character traits. One, he liked the cold in a way that his twin did not. Likely this was because his large body was covered in an unruly mass of hair that kept him shaded from the frigid elements. Two, he liked being alone. Or perhaps more accurately, he didn't like being around others. Although Ru'in hadn't yet learned that he was a mutant, he was observant enough to see the stares of others directed towards him, were not the same as the stares they gave each other. Something about him was different, and though he didn't really care what it was, he didn't particularly care for their stares either.

Ru'in moved slowly and purposefully. His three-toed hooves made odd imprints in the fertile ground as he lumbered along, appearing already far too large for one clearly so new to the world. His tusks, piercing forward from the sides of his face, cut through the humid air before him, as the mutant-boy continued his mild exploration of the world. Bi-coloured eyes peered out, sparked with curiosity. One white, and one tan eye scoured the trees, watching the way the wind ruffled through them, how the leaves bent and swayed even after the wind was already gone. He listened to the sounds, large ears rotating with genuine interest.

There was so much energy here. So much potential.

Now all he had to do, was figure out how it worked.

Image Credits

@Castor

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

It turns out that beyond the sands of our home, there existed an entire world. Once we had found that out - once I knew that there was more to discover - I couldn’t stay still until we were out there. There was an entire world out there, filled with strange and wonderful things and I wanted to know about all of them. Instead of chasing lizards through the Throat and spying on the seabirds that nested on the rocky shores, there were other things to pick at and learn about.

As we travelled north, I became distracted as I followed a strange grey creature with a striped tail and a mask across its faces. It made a violent hissing noise when I got too close so I hung back, contenting myself with watching from a safe distance before the curiosity became too much. In a rush and a rustle of leaves, I chased after the creature (only wanting to get closer to it!) before it climbed up a tree to the safety of the tall limbs. I circled around the base, unfurling my down-covered wings and wishing I could use them to fly as the fire-wings had upon our exit from the Throat.

It was about this time that I realized Castor was no longer at my side.

Dark brown eyes widen at this discovery and for the first time in my young life I’m alone.

I notice the chill in the air at the same time, feel the stir of the wind across my pale red back before I folded my wings again, for what little protection they provided me. Compared to our homeland, this place felt frigid. “Cas?!” I call out, feeling a rush of fear as I look around. When I catch movement I gravitate toward it naturally but quickly discover that around the bushes there is someone else. He’s around my age I think, although at first I’m not entirely sure if we’re the same animal.

“Seen my brother?” I ask it - him - curiously, resisting the same urge that had propelled me to get closer to the racoon and keeping several feet between us instead. I didn’t want to chase him up a tree too, after all - especially not if he had seen my twin around.  

image by Smithers

@Ru'in @Castor <3
also still trying to figure her out xD

Outcast
Odd

The filly arrived, but her arrival did little but cause a crease of annoyance to furrow the colt's brow. He had been inspecting the way the wind whipped through the leaves, and was captivated by how they continued to sway despite the fact that the cause of their movement was gone. He tried to predict how long it would take for their movement to slow and then steady, and found it remarkably easy. Energy made sense to him.

The babbling girl before him however, did not.

One white and one tan eye lethargically moved away from the trees, and to the reddish girl. His only thought about her appearance was of his twin, Romina. The youngling boy had no stirrings of sexual desire at this age, but even so, his gaze seemed to only look appreciative when it was studying the world, or gazing upon his dainty counterpart. Blinking slowly, the mutant boy considered her question.

"Nahrr." He grumbled after a moment, his velvety lips forming the word beneath the boundaries of his two elongated tusks. His voice was oddly deep for one so young, but then again, nothing about the boy seemed to make sense. He was taller and bulkier than he should have been, had toes where he shouldn't have them, had a horn broken by mutant genes rather than war, and had two pointed bones protruding from the sides of his face.

He stared at her after his lips fell silent, weighty gaze imploring her to either respond, or go. Ru'in's leonine tail remained on the ground, tapping slightly with the gentle sway of the breeze through the trees.

@Vastra

Image Credits

Dragon's Throat Filly
Sarah

For a moment, all she did was stare.

Then she frowned at him - trying to riddle out the sound he had just made in her general direction while the wind played with the soft down of her folded wings. “Is that no?” Was it merely a sound, a clearing of the throat, or an actual word? And, if it was a word, what did it mean? The deep voice with which it had been spoken was one Vastra associated with adults and, by association, she quickly adopted the idea that this spotted, strange, wingless creature must be an adult. Albeit a very small one.

Like a troll or one of the faeries! It was a fanciful thought but Vastra met it with complete seriousness. She felt an intensely burning curiosity about this new faces but it was quickly snuffed out by the reminder of her search.

Surely, she assured herself, he held the answers she needed - she only first needed to figure out how to communicate the problem more effectively.

After a moment of contemplation, the red filly got an idea. However, far from causing her dark brown eyes to light up in excitement, it merely caused them to crease into a deeper frown - one that may very well match the one on the face of the strange small-adult she had discovered. Perhaps he was speaking another language - perhaps it was even their language. The idea was rather thrilling, to meet someone outside of her family that could speak it! Thrilling enough even to encourage her to relax but not give up on the scowl of concentration on her face as she spoke once again, carefully enunciating the words. “Hash yer ray tih gaezo anni?”

image by Smithers

trying to sleep and all I can think about is how to translate "have you seen my brother" into dothraki
SO HERE HAVE A POST <33 also sorry about the narrator change, she seems to be doing better in third person
@Ru'in

Outcast
Odd

“Yaaahrr.” The boy agreed, bobbing his large skull in response to her question.

Ru’in was not bothered by the momentary pause in their palaver. In fact, he was expressionless, but only because his body was slowly turning to stone. It wasn’t as though it started at his hooves and worked its way up. It was more of a hardening that happened all at once, all over him at the same time. The white, chestnut, and brown patches of his coat took on an angular look and began to look more gray than toned. Only the boy’s eyes remained bright and alive, and despite how uninterested he was in this conversation, did in fact remain on Vastra.

As she brightened and spoke again, the boy raised a quizzical eyebrow which shattered (metaphorically) his stony (literal) appearance. However no rubble fell away from him, it was simply as if he had decided not to be composed of stone any longer, and simply became made of flesh and blood. The words she spoke were foreign sounding, but he liked them. He hadn’t ever met anyone who spoke anything other than the common tongue before. All he had heard were accents and garbled speech (much like what he spoke). Nothing like this. The normally dull and distant unicorn stood slightly taller, his leonine tail settling on the ground as he gave the red filly his full attention.

“Aye dun’t knohw hwhat thaht is.” He said, his lips stretching to form the words and adding ‘h’ sounds where they didn’t belong. And then, with unabashed delight, for unlike his twin sister, Ru’in was the farthest thing from manipulative, continued, “Buht I qwuite lihke it. Hwhat is it?”

@Vastra

Image Credits

Dragon's Throat Filly
Sarah

There was definitely something fae-like about the colt before her. If he even was a colt. Before her very eyes, in the pause of their conversation, he turned to stone. Dark brown eyes widened in surprise at this discovery but she did not dare say anything lest she break the spell. He had been flesh and bone just a moment ago but there was no doubting the new texture that had suddenly appeared over his body.

It was magic and it was beautiful! No, that was a silly word to use for it - it wasn’t beautiful in the way that new flowers were or in the way her mother was. This stone-but-not-stone creature before her was exquisite and captivating. She had been studying the animals she saw but not once had she found one that could turn into something else. Magic! And not the obvious, fire-magic like the wings that carried her with the help of an adult from the Throat to Helovia. This was subtle and something else entirely.

And then, in a blink of an eye, while Vastra spoke her question in another language he was back to being flesh again. The red filly had to shake her head and wonder if she had even seen the stone there at all. Still, she did not want to say anything - fearing it had been a trick of her mind, or that she would not get to see it again if she was reckless with her words.

Now she was paying more attention and she realized that the words he spoke - while distorted - were in fact the common tongue. “Oh.” Vastra didn’t know enough to apologize so she didn’t, not thinking she had done anything wrong - she had simply made a mistake.

To answer his question, she replied simply “My father’s tongue.” because she knew no proper name for it. Perhaps that had been part of the very first lesson, and she frowned at herself for forgetting it - her eyes darkening as she realized the knowledge simply wasn’t there. Perhaps Castor would know, if she ever found him again. Right now, temporarily, her search was suspended because she wanted to spend more time with this fascinating faery creature - wondering if he would turn to stone again or what else he could turn into. “I could teach you some, if you want.”

image by Smithers

@Ru'in

Outcast
Odd

The colt was in no way offended by her lack of apology. He wasn't the sort of boy who would require such, and similar to the girl's way of thinking, it was merely a mistake. Nothing really to fret over at all.

Ru'in had however, hoped to hear something more informative than just, my father's tongue. That meant little to him. Did that mean it was made up? Was it spoken widely here? Should he know who her father was? Quizzically Ru'in regarded her, trying to decide if she was being intentionally facetious, but quickly decided that she likely wasn't. So instead, he bobbed his head with a ready willingness. He would like to learn, even if this language was merely the made up mutterings of someone he didn't know.

Learning things made him happy.

"Yharr if yew whould teehch, I'd luhrn." He rumbled. in the back of his mind, he wondered if his own father had a language for him to learn. He'd never heard Ashamin speak anything other than the common tongue, but Ru'in supposed the possibility was still a live one. He'd ask next time he saw him.

The boy leaned back on his haunches slightly, finding a more comfortable position to stand in, now that he'd likely be here for more than just a few moments with her. Again as he did so, a hardness began to overtake his body giving it a rocky appearance. Gradually the rockiness solidified and the curve of his growing muscles turned into the flattish faces of a rock. Only his eyes remained clear of this transformation, and they remained fixed happily on Vastra.

@Vastra

Image Credits