the Rift

[OPEN] let's play pretend

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She doesn’t entirely know where she ends up. Like usual, she’d been wandering through the Deep Forest and somewhere in there it stopped being the forest she knows. She doesn’t know exactly when it happened, exactly what gave way into this other place. A labyrinth of a land, more towering green grasses and bamboo shoots than trees, but still feeling like a dense, strange place.

She keeps going though, knowing she has nothing better to do anyway, and not all that worried about getting lost. As long as she can see the sky, she can get back to the Edge. There are a lot of perks to flying, after all. And she can wander for days and still find her way back eventually. It’s a lot easier to find home when you can see far ahead, and when you can cover distance quickly.

It is beautiful here, though it is not one of the forests that she’s become so used to here. The rest of the Helovia still doesn’t feel like home. It’s more like an extended vacation. But the Deep Forest is beginning to feel like home. The Edge, maybe, will feel like home. She knows the forest there well enough, anyway, and maybe eventually she’ll know some of the other residents as well.

But for now, she stays in the maze. Half the day is gone already, and there’s no real point to heading home now. Which might not be true. Something could be happening, certainly, she just can’t bring herself to face it all. She enjoys having the excuse to leave. Enjoys pretending like this is all just a hideous nightmare. One of these days she’ll wake up, and she’ll be home (Morham, not here), and her family will still be alive and things will be okay. One day, this place won’t exist except as a memory of a dream.

So she keeps pretending. Keeps running from the Edge because knowing no one makes it easier to leave. Makes it easier to keep up this pity party she’s started, this nomadic lifestyle except with a constant place to rest her head at night. And today, she gets to be lost in a maze. What a great place to play pretend. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Nickel - for whoever you want!

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel
Brisa & Hikari

Perhaps visiting the labyrinth had been a bad idea on such a day when there was already so much going on in her life. Head lifted to the wind the grey mare wanders along trying to scope out the area before she walks blindly into something she might regret. The scenery is beautiful and all but it gave her a feeling of claustrophobia when you got to deep into the brush all though if worse came to worse she guessed that she could always burn her way out of here. Laughing softly at the mental image of the brush going up in flames around her she could definitely see many reasons why she wouldn't want to do that. Leave it to her on some of the first days as leader of the Hidden Falls to manage to burn the place to the ground by accidentally starting a wildfire. That would be just her luck with the way things had been going lately. First she had almost embarrassed herself completely in front of Kaj and Archibald, then there was her rather odd encounter with Banj, what would be next on her list of things to do?

Trailing deeper into the naturally maze like landscape she began to slowly relax with the help of Hikari being there with her. Her bonded helped her to calm herself down when she got worked up over something or another but she was also like a best friend or dare she say it little sister. Obviously she didn't have five tails, a fox-like body or the impeccable sense of smell but hey she could burst into flames if she chose to. Tossing her head to clear away the tendrils of her forelock from her face the pair continued to explore the labyrinth with fascination. Hikari would run off a little bit ahead and occasionally chase after a bird or something but for the most part she stayed close so as not to get lost. Watching her duck underneath some bushes alarm shot through her as foreign footsteps caught her attention. "Hikari?!" She yelled silently through their bond wanting to make sure that the young kitsune was not in any trouble before charging ahead to find out who exactly was on the other side of the bushes.

Rounding the corner large black and teal wings come into view before the rest of the pegasus becomes visible beyond the brush. Slowing her advance her eyes search frantically for Hikari only to find her back at her heels. This pup was going to give her a heart attack one of these days and for her own sake it better not be anytime soon. Clearing her throat she turned back to the mare before her hoping she wouldn't scare her. "Hello?" She inquired gently wondering if the girl was lost or was wandering around just like she was.

"Brisa Speaks"

@Lyanna
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

At this point, Lyanna truthfully has no idea where she is, and only a vague sense of what direction she’s come from. There’s something freeing about the maze, like it can suck away every thought of the past and the future and actually just leave her in the present. She’s busy trying to figure out where she is, where she wants to go, how she might get out (assuming she doesn’t cheat), and she’s starting to have fun with it.

Somehow, thought of Corbin melt away. Worries for Adelene. Foolish girl, running off and hiding like she did. But here, she doesn’t live with their ghosts quite so much. Doesn’t live with her regrets and worries. Everything is so green, an emerald palace with walls built of bamboo, and though she has no idea how something like this naturally forms, there’s enough magic in Helovia that it sort of makes sense. Though she doubts it was put here for therapeutic purposes. She might very well be the first one who so enjoys getting so lost.

It’s not until a little fox with five tails comes dashing through the brush and then out again that she’s pulled fully back to Helovia. She shakes her head, tossing white and teal hair haphazardly on either side of her neck. Though her hair, so well trained from too many years a pampered Princess, slowing rights itself until it falls back all on one side. She actually sort of wishes it would just get messy, but she seems to be cursed to look forever prim and proper. Except the few various stains from painting on her wing, but those would probably fade eventually.

It’s only a few moments before a Hello rings out, and Lyanna turns to find the source. The voice seems nice enough, so she doesn’t worry much, though probably she should. She’s in the middle of nowhere with a stranger. But the voice belongs to a gray mare with a kind enough expression on her face, and Lyanna relaxes. “Hello,” she offers back, nodding her head and smiling. She turns her fully face the other, and notices the little fox at the heels of the mare. Ah, so that’s where he came from. She smiles at him at well, just in case he’s looking.

In truth, she’s rather surprised to find anyone else here. She figured by now she was hopelessly lost in some remote part of Helovia, but apparently she wasn’t the only one that took to wandering today. Though perhaps her new companion had wandered into this place purposefully, unlike Lyanna, who’d just got too distracted to notice what was going on around her. “I’m Lyanna,” she offers. “Would it be entirely ridiculous if I asked you what this place is?”  

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Brisa

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Brisa & Hikari

Taking a few moments to gaze around at where she had found herself the grey really had no idea where in the hell she was in relation to the landscape. This was not the first time she had been to the Labyrinth and come to think of it she had managed to get lost both times before. Who's idea was it to come back here again? Glancing down to where Hikari stood she wondered if perhaps the little kitsune could remember the way back whenever they decided to head back home. Shaking her head ever so slightly she gave up on trying to be angry at the pup for getting themselves lost for it was next to impossible to be angry at something do damn cute. They would eventually find their way home it was just a matter of backtracking and possibly following their footsteps, there was no real need to worry.

Relaxing a bit when the mare returned her greeting she managed a smile and a nod of greeting. "It's nice to meet you Lyanna. I'm Brisa and this here is Hikari." She replied motioning down to Hikari who was now standing in front of the newcomer looking up to her with big curious eyes. Thank goodness that Lyanna seemed to be friendly or else they would have a problem, she would have to have a talk with her later about approaching strangers so readily and eagerly. All it would take is one well placed kick to seriously hurt her bonded and that was the last thing in the world that she wanted to happen. "My apologies she is still a little to curious for her own good sometimes." Narrowing her gaze down at the pup she gave her a stern look but nothing to harsh procuring a soft whine from Hikari. She knew when she had done something she wasn't supposed to but would often forget in her excitement to meet new people.

"Not at all." She said with a gentle shake of her head and smile before continuing her explanation. "This place is called the Green Labyrinth and is one of the four newest lands to be discovered here in Helovia. It is rather interesting isn't it." Looking around at the walls of bamboo she did have to admit that it was rather impressive in all aspects. At least it was still possible to see the sky from here, she would have liked this place a whole lot less if she couldn't. There was just something spooky about closed in spaces that she did not like. "So what brings you all the way out here?"

@Lyanna
"Brisa Speaks"
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

The little kitsune is adorable. All the companions she’s come across are adorable, honestly. The concept is still new to her, something she definitely did not have in Morham. Animals yes. Bonded companions? Definitely not. The idea intrigued her, and she wondered if she would ever find one of her own. And if so, what would it be? In truth, she wonders if a companion could fill even one tiny corner of heart where her family used to be. Not that she could ever replace her family, but perhaps, with time, she could fill some of the gaping wounds they left behind. 

She dips her head low, offering her muzzle to Hikari if he wanted, but not trying to startle the pup. She waits a moment to see what Hikari might do before lifting her head again and focusing her attention on the gray mare. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both,” she says, meaning it as she always does, as only a Princess probably can mean everything they say. That was her job, once. To look pretty, to have polite words, and to woo the world into her arms. She’d been good at it, when she needed to be. Now, she simply got to be herself, and sometimes she was still figuring out just who that was. “Oh, I don’t mind at all. Though I can see how perhaps, curiosity might not always be good.”

There’s a lot she doesn’t know about companions, and how that works. But she knows it’s a deep bond, and she can only imagine how protective someone needs to be over a companion so very small, like Hikari. If she’s not mistaken, a horse only ever gets one, and losing a companion might hurt as much – maybe even more – than losing one’s entire family.

Brisa is kind enough to answer her question, and Lyanna eyes the bamboo with a new curiosity. So it is, actually, a maze. How odd, and a little bit fun. More fun if she doesn’t cheat, but still, it’s nice not to worry about actually getting lost. Taking off in here would be an interested, rather ungraceful endeavor though. “It’s definitely unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” she admits. “And honestly, I was wandering in the Deep Forest, and I got far too lost in my own thoughts. At some point, I ended up here, and just figured I might as well keep going.” She laughs slightly, realizing this probably sounds ridiculous. But Lyanna has taken to being something of a vagrant. Yes, she has a home, but she does enjoy simply roaming Helovia (and not just because she spends far too much time wallowing in self-pity). 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Brisa

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Brisa & Hikari

Watching Lyanna's movements the grey watches with curiosity to see how Hikari would react to meeting this new stranger. Stretching out her head the young kitsune sniffed the mare's offered muzzle to get a sense of her scent before a toothy grin seemed to spread out across her face. Yipping softly she jumped in a complete circle before dropping her forelegs to the ground to stare up at the pegasus wanting to play. Laughing softly at Hikari's rather comical antics she steps forward to join her bonded so that she was not as far away. Reaching her head down she playfully tugged at one of the kitsune's five tails sending her spinning around to face her again. "As long as she doesn't run into any predators things are all good." She commented with a short laugh. "We definitely don't need that much excitement in our day."

Shifting her weight back to her hind foot she trialed her tail over her rump to clear away the season's flies as they tried to nip at her tender skin. She still couldn't imagine these little pesky creatures ever had a purpose other than to drive them all crazy during the warm weather. Reaching around to snap at one particularly annoying fly she returned her gaze back to the pegasus. It was a pleasure to run into another that seemed to know her manners and was a joy to talk to, most of those she tended to meet were a little more on the strange side and not all knew the concept of manners. Stallions especially needed to watch their attitudes for she had run into enough of the rude arrogant types to turn her off of men for many years. Pausing in her thoughts she did have to admit that not all stallions were the typical egotistical morons for she had met many exceptions here in Helovia.

"Do you mind if we join you in your adventure?" She asked kindly figuring that they could both continue to talk while trying to figure out which way was out. Waiting for the mare's answer she took this time to glance around at where she had ended up. Walls seemed to surround them from all sides and due to her relative shortness she could not see above the walls to find a way out of here. At least with Lyanna being a pegasus if they got themselves in too deep she could always fly up and see where they were, either that of things were going to get a little burnt. "So where are you from Lyanna? Hikari and I come from the Hidden Falls." She asked wanting to keep the conversation going a little bit longer.

@Lyanna
"Brisa Speaks"

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Lyanna laughs as Brisa steps forward, tugging at one of the little kitsune’s five tails. Hikari goes spinning away, facing the gray mare once more. Lyanna is still, and probably always will be, fascinated and infatuated with the concept of a companion. It’s something, if she’s being honest, she thinks she would like to have. Something that would perhaps help fill in the spaces left behind by her family. Not replace, just someone that would remind her there’s a reason to live. She can imagine a little voice in her head yelling at her to snap out of it every time she let her mind wander too far back into the past. It would probably be good. That, or both her and her companion would be too depressed to be any fun at all.

Though in truth, Lyanna wouldn’t call herself depressed. She enjoys traveling and conversation and learning about the different herbs in Helovia and what they can do. She is sad, yes. But that doesn’t mean depressed. Thoughts of her family still slip in though, pieces of Helovia remind her too much of Morham. Someday, perhaps, those ghosts would fade. But she is beginning to live to learn with their memory, if nothing else.

“I’d love some company,” she says as Brisa asks if they can join. Lyanna is still amazed by the amount of polite horses she’s found in Helovia. Not that they have all been polite, mind you. Some were strange, with little to say and much to do. Some were downright rude. But mostly, she’d found welcoming arms in the Edge, she’d found Apollo. And Brisa seemed quite capable of having a polite conversation, something that reminded Lyanna of days spent in Morham, showing visiting dignitaries around. Their conversation was light and friendly, with no talk of business or hints of sorrowful pasts.

It was a nice break from everything, just to get lost in a maze with a mare that seemed pleasant and friendly. “The World’s Edge.” she offers in answer to Brisa’s question. It’s getting easier to remember that’s her home, and not Morham. Sometimes ‘Morham’ is on the tip of her tongue before she remembers. “Though only somewhat recently,” (still less than a year) “If you couldn’t tell by the fact I don’t even know where I am.” She laughs lightly, not afraid to laugh at her own expense a bit. It is amusing, after all.

“What is the Falls like? I’ve only see the landscape in the distance from the sky. I admit, it’s tempting to fly over. It looks lovely.” Not that she would ever actually go flying over someone else’s herd. She knows better than that, but still, she’ll admit that she would love to (the smile on her face should be enough to let Brisa know she’s hardly going to do it). 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Brisa

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Brisa & Hikari

Glad that Lyanna decided to let the pair of them tag along with her she took a few tentative steps forward before continuing along hoping the girl would follow. In a maze such as this there was no way to just see over the walls and find your way to the exit, no she was just too short for that. Maybe someone taller than her might be able to but for her it was about as impossible as her learning to fly. She had always imagined herself being tall like her dad had been when she was younger but much to her disappointment she had taken after her mother and stayed on the shorter end of the spectrum. Granted she would never be able to know for certain with both her parents being gone but she could always imagine what things would have been like.

Pushing the sadness of her past away from her train of thoughts she instead concentrated on not walking into a wall or tripping herself on any of the bushes. Damn things seemed to pop up in the strangest places possible and of course she would be the first one to find them. At least back home she knew the place like the back of her own hoof so she was able to avoid those freak accidents while in front of others. Though there would likely be the day that she was lost in her own little world and would manage to embarass herself in some way shape or form.

"The World's Edge is a nice place, I used to live there awhile ago." She offered choosing not to bring up thoughts about the invasion and all that had happened back in those dark times. "You probably know the place better than you think you do. I was horrible when I first came here and I still manage to get myself all turned around." Chuckling at the memories of the days she used to manage to get herself lost while still in the Edge. She had always been hopeless at directions but thankfully with time she had gotten a little better as long as today's adventure wasn't being used as any example.

Thinking about home put a gentle smile on her face as she came up with the right words to describe it all. "The Falls is almost a place you have to see to believe. Between the cascading waterfalls and the lush greenery there is really something for everyone. You should come see it sometime." She offered watching as Hikari went bounding off ahead of the pair of them to search out the route for anything of interest.

@Lyanna
"Brisa Speaks"

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Lyanna had never been likely to be particularly tall. The women in her family rarely were. Her lines came from the same few places, really. Morham and the surrounding kingdoms didn’t have quite the same immigration rate as Helovia seemed to. Sure, new horses came into the kingdoms around, and there were enough kingdoms to keep the bloodlines clean. But still, most of the horses in the area were similar enough that, after a time, they’d all started to look somewhat the same.

You wouldn’t find horses like Tembovu in Morham. You would find horses like Brisa and Lyanna. And for this reason, walking through such a beautiful (albeit also so unlikely) maze of bamboo and greenery, Lyanna feels at home in a way she hasn’t for a while. This is the life she knows how to lead. This life of pleasant small talk and not craning her neck to look up at someone.

Even if she is, technically, completely lost at the moment, she finds that this afternoon is quickly becoming rather pleasant. Thoughts of Morham slip in, but ones that make her smile slightly, thinking of afternoons spent with some of the neighboring princesses when they were visiting, walking the forests of Morham or the gardens of Romane. She could see Brisa fitting right into that life. Little does Lyanna know she is, in fact, talking to the Czarina of the Falls. Lyanna still doesn’t have much connection to the politics of Helovia yet though, not like in Morham. Though perhaps with her new standing in the Edge, that would change.

She ruffles her feathers slightly at Brisa’s comment that she probably knows the land better than she thinks. “Ah, yes, but it really does help when you can cheat your way around.” She laughs slightly. It was, really, a gift to have wings. They are the only reason she isn’t hopelessly lost in Helovia. Not that she can fly everywhere, but of course, those are the places she knows the least. “It seems to be a trend, horses moving herds in Helovia. Is it common, or is it just the horses I run into?” She’s not trying to be nosey, but rather, make conversation and perhaps learn something. She doesn’t know the history here, of wars or raids or anything else. All she knows is where she’s from, horses mostly stayed put.

The mention of the Falls brings a smile to Brisa’s face, and it’s clear she cares for her home. The Edge doesn’t make Lyanna smile quite like that. But it’s getting better. Getting closer to home. They have given her a rank and responsibilities, and these things help her feel like it really might be home. They also weigh her down with fear that she will fail. This isn’t the life she was groomed for, but she can learn. “Oh, that sounds beautiful. I would love to visit one day, if that would be okay. I’ve never seen a waterfall up close.” She passed plenty as she fled Morham, but she’d never stopped to enjoy the beauty or power of one before.

“What do you do in the Falls?” she adds, hoping she’s not asking too many questions. But Brisa seems kind, and willing to talk, and Lyanna sometimes can’t help the questions. There are always so many here, so much yet for her to learn. And so she asks.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Brisa eek, sorry for the wait and also for the sleep deprived rambling

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki