the Rift

[PRIVATE] Surf's Down

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
THE CLOVENHEART
on his own

The Endless blue would always be beautiful, but at night it was a different place entirely. Ashamin listened to the soft sounds of the waves on the shore. In a season like this one the tide was quieter and lower, as if even the sea was starved for water. Though rain was coming, Lochan assured them all, Ashamin hadn't seen it in days.

What he did see, though, were the stars. Mriga shone bright above him, forever his guiding principle and master. In his short travels Ashamin had already met many others, and when he looked up at the stars now he wondered why he'd waited so long to follow them. Too long he had read their meaning only for others and in the confines of a herd. There were others in the wilderness, new to Helovia and new to this world as his son was. The ones surviving on their own needed his loyalty and knowledge more than Deimos' well-established fortress. The Aurora Basin would be fine on their own.

And Ashamin was, too. Rakt, Lochan, and the Clovenheart were wide awake. These were the hours of their prime, when they were at their strongest and most alert. They stood beneath the small shelter that the earthen shelf created and looked out to the endless blue veil that had been cast over whatever world had once lived under it.

The two cerndyr had followed him without question, and neither of them hesitated now. Instead they practiced with each other, teaching and seeing what they could learn. In the dark Lochan squared off before his larger bonded and they parried in dodges, one darting back the moment the other charged forth. They moved in synch as perfectly matched defenders. With their minds linked as they were, it was hard to keep any secrets from the other.

They would have continued as they were but Rakt let out a soft lowing, a gentle warning that he had sensed another by the sea. Ashamin and the little eye stopped, spraying sand and sweat, and turned their ears forward to listen for what Rakt had heard.

""

image credits

@Ovidius, yay! :)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

Daddy had never shown her the sea, but he had talked about it. He had said it stretched forever and that no one had ever lived to see the end of that vast expanse of blue.

And so standing before that selfsame ocean, with it's endless azure stretching into blackness beneath a silver moon, Ovidius believed him.

The surf was gentle, foaming edges lapping at the mare's teacup-sized hooves with the sort of soft caress reminiscent of mothers and lambs. Golden eyes were trained on the ebony horizon, wide with wonder and misty with longing. Swallowing thickly, the mare blinked to clear her eyes and her mind of the bittersweet loss of her father; he had not died, she had merely grown up and outgrown him.

How she wished that were untrue.

Her musings were interrupted, however, by the lullaby call of some strange creature. Shoulders tensing as she turned toward the sound, Ovidius felt the spines along her neck and back shiver. Aurelian eyes roving the sands, the slim mare finally noted the presence of three figures, though only one of them held an equine silhouette. Head cocking to the side in an unconscious show of curiosity, the lass kicked up her heels and trotted toward the trio, features alight with the prospect of new information and new experience.

"Hello!" she called into the gentle seaside breeze, darkness shrouding over her obsidian skin as the moon glinted off of the gold along her spine and in her skin. "Hello there, I'm Ovi. What are you two creatures? And who are you?"
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

THE CLOVENHEART
on his own

If it weren't for her diminutive size, she would  have reminded Ashamin of his own lost father. Even as it was, though, the way that she appeared from the shadow as if she were a part of them triggered its own set of memories. It was rare that he saw creatures as pitch black as Veril had been. This mare was broken up by gold markings that were similar to Ashamin's own. The two scars on his hindquarters didn't shine so bright in the night as her many horns, but his chest burned with a beacon-like glow. The gold slash that Hotaru had painted over his heart cast a brilliant light that was only muted when he stepped forward and his sarong fell over it.

The Clovenheart had a bit of trouble shaking the thoughts of his father from his mind despite the fact that this mare shared only one or two of his traits, so luckily his two companions flooded his thoughts with information. Rakt, who had noticed her first, sent every sound she made to the haruspex so that he heard even the quieter breaths. Lochan got to work with his white eyes and looked over her with care, taking in every curve of lean muscle that he could in the dark.

With all of their thoughts in mind he was able to press on. He took another step closer in the dark and the necklace and amulets around his neck jingled softly as they rattled against each other in time with the stone in his horn.

"Good evening! It's a pleasure, Ovi," Ashamin answered with a gentle smile. The mare's bright greeting was enough to pull him further into the present. His own long lion's tale waved to supplement the hello and gesture towards her appendage. "I am Ashamin the Clovenheart. These are my companions, Lochan and Rakt," he introduced, not even needing to signal for the two cerndyr to step forward when their names were called.

His eyes, so black that they too blended with the night, blinked slowly by purposefully. When he stretched out his neck and offered his cheek to her to touch, he tried to make it as clear as possible that this was a greeting before pulling back and away. "What brings you to the sea tonight, mare? Sorry to have stirred up the sand so, Lochan and I like to keep ourselves sharp." Ashamin asked the question with more interest than usual. If she was an outcast like he was, as she seemed to be given her lack of scent, then perhaps she would be interested in learning or teaching a thing or two.

""

image credits

I see lost/dead-dad-who-raised-them-when-mom-died-in-childbirth bonding in their futures, @Ovidius x3 Also, do you want to be tagged?

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Eris
OVIDIUS

The breath that she wouldn't admit she was holding burst out of her at the stallion's jovial reply. She had never been much of a socialite, but the onyx lass did prefer company over solitude and the stranger-turned-acquaintance had brushed away her loneliness with a few words and a smile. As the stallion moved, the fabric about his neck worked together with the moon and her proximity to show a fascinating glint; a warm, liquid glint that she knew all too well.

Gold.

She sucked in a happily surprised gasp, every inch the delighted patron to the stallion's striking figure. It was not often that the petite gal found another equine with golden skin. No, more often she found that the denizens of this particular land preferred to wear their gold, preferred to separate themselves from the warmth and protection of the metal. In all honesty, it made the mare question the mental stability of those that resided with in Helovia's borders - her bones were of gold, her skin and her horns and her spines and her eyes all boasted the lovely shimmer, how could it so easily be taken for granted? How could it be worn without the respect and appreciation it deserved?

But to see this stallion, kind as he seemed to be, boasting skin of gold across is heart and his flanks, it warmed her heart to it's core.

Grin growing by the second, Ovidius nodded to Lochan and Rakt in turn before turning her attention back to the gold-marked Ashamin and his proffered cheek. It was all the tiny spitfire could do not to burst into a fit of giggles - it wasn't every day she was treated like a proper lady. It wasn't any day, in fact. Reaching her horned skull out, Ovi brushed her lips against the warmth of his cheek before dipping into a polite bow.

"A delight to meet you three, thank you for the warm welcome, and it's of no matter, if the sand is offended it has made no comment." While Ovidius would not describe herself as a well-spoken woman, she enjoyed injecting lightheartedness where she could. In her opinion, too much of the world was wound up in it's own gloom. "Well, if I'm being honest, Ashamin," her voice lowered to a conspirational whisper as she leaned closer, eyes alight, "This is the first time I've seen the ocean. This is the first time I've been on my own."

Her words were spoken with the slightest tinge of pride. She was, after all, doing pretty well out here for a tiny spiked thief.

@Jen (sorry for tagging you im the worst.)

Also yes! I prefer to be tagged and YES THE BONDING IS IMMINENT

THE CLOVENHEART
on his own

She was intriguing, really. The spine-like horns on her back were a unique sight, and her youthful energy sent a similar buzz through the Clovenheart. It was difficult to let sad thoughts consume him in the company of one so bright—one who shined so far beyond her shadows.

When she accepted his gesture bowed Ashamin could not help but let his expression light up. Those who accepted his odd cultural greeting were growing scarcer every day, it seemed. In these wilds, many were too hostile or cautious to flow so easily towards him. But she, this Ovi, did not hesitate. Nothing about her said hesitation. She was unique, she was intrepid, and she was an absolute joy to have as late night company by the sea.

When she joked about the sand he let out an instinctive nicker of a laugh. So she had a sense of humor, too. Perhaps she too was a night dancer, one swift enough to fight... he resisted the temptation to offer her a spar right then and there, to test whatever skill she might have. He'd been fighting an awful lot lately, and it might be better for him to rest for the time being. Challenges could come later.

The two cerndyr looked up at her with their eyes wide, watching as she leaned into Ashamin's question and provided her answer. Rakt, feeling left out despite the fact that he could still hear her every word, hopped impatiently by Ashamin's side. Lochan only turned his ears forward—listened more closely to her confession of being alone.

"Oh?" Ashamin said, the soft exclamation slipping out from his lips before he could stop it or think. She excited him, and the way that she explained to him her situation reminded him of a younger version of himself: the one that had just arrived in Helovia, alone and wide eyed. He had been more timid, though—less confident to be sure. When he formed his reply he too leaned in, lowered his voice as if sharing something he'd never told another. If nothing else, it was a lesser known fact. "I remember that feeling, you know. I only just struck out on my own not too long ago, after my father passed. Now I find myself leaving my rank and herd, striking out to gather a group of my own, and doing it all again..." the Clovenheart paused, his attention grabbed by the rush of the sea beyond them "...all for a glimpse of the sea and a sense of that freedom. I'm glad to have found good company to share the moment with."

When he at last concluded he looked over her again, and his dark eyes flashed, reflecting the gold of her markings and multiple horns. Yes, she certainly would be a tough one to beat in a fight. He would have to wear his spinal piece if her were to face off against her at any point, just to level the playing field. He pulled his face away, his neck craning back and his face angling down to look upon her with kindness.  "I'm honored to be here for when you first visit this endless shore,"
he said then, not really thinking. "It's a big thing, you know. You should be proud."

And she should be. Strangers or not, he was certainly proud of her.

""

image credits

@Ovidius! Noooooo every time you tag me a butterfly dies under the weight of a pm crushing them in my inbox why must you do thisssssss also add me on skype, you

Eris
OVIDIUS

Watching her newfound comrade's face light up caused a tiny thrill to run through the mare's veins - much to her surprise, of course, she had never been so glad to please anyone but Daddy. Golden eyes raked across the kindly face for any sign of doubt, for any sign that he wasn't as glad to be in her company as he seemed; but she came up empty and for that she was glad. Somewhere in the back of the lass' mind, she was surprised at how quickly she had bonded to the stallion, at how easily the conversation flowed between them.

She'd worry about the logistics later, but for now, she'd enjoy the concept of a new friend.

The grin upon her lips didn't falter as she flashed a wink at each of the deer-like creatures before her attention was caught once more by Ashamin's voice. She couldn't help but give a breathy laugh at how the rogue mirrored her actions, relief flooding her as she found that, yes, he had a sense of humor. The content of his words, however, caused the light in her eyes to dim infinitesimally. With a tilt of her dished skull, the mare gave a respectful nod and closed her eyes for a moment, a silent prayer on her lips for the stallion that had sired her newfound friend.

Though she wasn't sure if it was her place, the onyx lass turned her face so that her left cheek was proffered toward Ashamin's nose, hoping that the small show of solidarity would say the words she didn't know to give voice to; that she was sorry he had lost his father, his herd, his home.

She had just decided to make the attempt at offering verbal comfort when his words made her stop short, clumsy apologies dying upon blackened lips as suddenly as they were summoned. He was honored? To be there upon the shore with her? Ovi's mouth had popped open into a gentle 'o' of surprise, though her expression quickly changed to one of bashful appreciation as the heat began to rise in her cheeks.

For the first time in her short life, she was thankful that no one could see her blush.

"It's not often that others are honored to be in my company, Ashamin. Thank you - I appreciate it and hope to call you friend." It was possible that the girl was overstepping by claiming the reddened stallion as a friend so quickly, but she had never been good at making scars in her tongue in the shape of her teeth; and she had a few scars to prove it. She offered a lopsided grin before addressing the hoppy-deer-thing directly, "Rakt, you have some energy, are you the faster of your little unit?"

Turning her head toward Lochan, Ovidius raised her brows ever so slightly, refusing to admit to herself that the milky eyes of the creature were a tad bit spooky. "I'm assuming you're the sage one, right? Overall, I'd give this trio a high approval rating, would it be too forward to suggest it turn into a quartet?"

THE CLOVENHEART
on his own

Though none before had said it, it would always be true that the way to Ashamin's heart was through his companions. Ovidius did not mince her compliments to the cerndyr, and so she very quickly struck it. She had asked to be Ashamin's friend and extended her cheek in consolation, appealing herself to the two bonded before she even spoke to them.

Ashamin, even with his mind unblemished by their biases, accepted her warmth with thankfulness and friendship of his own. His nose, soft and roman but hidden beneath the rough tangle of his horn, brushed her offering with kindness; his eyes, dark and unending, were brimming with appreciation of her sympathy. "You may consider myself your friend and ally, Ovi, as long as I can call you the same," the Clovenheart said warmly, asking as he gave. He did not expect anything but agreement from her, for she was a bright spirit that Ashamin perceived to have a giving heart.

When her compliments rolled off her tongue and towards the cerndyr, it was made even more clear to the former haruspex that she was a mare of many gifts. He cast an almost fatherly glance over the two creatures, watching their responses. Each perked up as she picked out their natural talents and highlighted their skills. Lochan was not vain, but Rakt took a simple pleasure in the fact that his newfound ability was obvious even from the outside and shook his coat out proudly. His bellow was soft but kind, and stardust settled along the shore and shimmered as it mixed in with the sand. Lochan, quiet and un-breaking, only blinked and turned his antlers to catch in Rakt's protectively. It was not that the little eye did not trust Ovidius, but rather that he wished his bond-mate would show off a little less.

"You charm them," Ashamin said to her with a smile, a long whip of his white tail against the sand. "And you've pegged their specialties, too. Rakt is particularly proud; he's recently discovered magic to summon spirits of swiftness," Ashamin said with a turn to The Blood. The cerndyr was young and his magic was new, but Ashamin was proud of it nonetheless.

What Ovidius asked next, then, warmed Ashamin's heart. He did not hesitate to answer her. "Ovidius, I would be happy to have you at my side. My companions and I would welcome you, then, to join the group that we've begun to gather, as any rank that you believe suits you best." He did not look past her, he did not look out to the ancient and ever extending sea. She, the mare of many gifts with swift access to his kind heart, had his full attention now.

""

image credits

@Ovidius :)

Eris
OVIDIUS

She could listen to the music of his voice all day without pause, she could watch the beauty of his expression each night until the sun rose. This beautiful creature she beheld, with his twisting horn and multihued flesh, with his twin companions that proved to be polar opposites, with the kindness and acceptance he gifted her without a second thought. If the lass didn't know any better, she'd say she was in love with this stout creature of blood and gold.

But she knew better, and what she saw in him was what she saw in her Daddy, what she saw in the gold that built her frame and in the ocean that roared quietly behind her; held within the heart of Ashamin and his twin magicians was truth.

Turning her gaze to the sands between their hooves and lowering her head in a show of meek respect, the gold limned mare bowed to another for the first time in her short life. Straightening, Ovidius caught in the corner of her vision a shower of starlight upon the shore. With a breathy laugh, the childlike maiden stretched her grin as far as she could while still expressing joy. It was rare for the child of smoke and bone to attest loyalty to another, let alone a strange stallion who had fled his home and met her here in the dark of night upon a mild shore - but here she was. Here they were, friends and allies, and she would have it no other way.

Mouth popping open, the petite gal was about to reply to her trio, to shower Rakt with well-deserved praise for discovering his magic and to gently tease Lochan for acting like a nursemaid, but the series of words that spilled from Ashamin's lips stopped the lass in her tracks. She froze, mouth hanging open, eyes unblinking, even her perpetually moving tail ceased its movement.

"Ovidius, I would be happy to have you at my side. My companions and I would welcome you, then, to join the group that we've begun to gather, as any rank that you believe suits you best."

Words fled her for a moment, the shock of his acceptance and offer stilling the mare entirely. At last, Ovi found that her lips could move again, that her heart was in fact still beating, and with a prancing step forward the spiked child aimed to press her soft nose into the divot between Ashamin's shoulder muscle and neck. "Thank you!" She crowed, joy evident in every breath, "I'd be honored to join your ranks. I'm good at remembering things and, well..." Ovi pulled away, gazing up at each member of her newfound family with a sheepish expression plastered upon her face, "I'm good at sneaking and stealing things. Mostly gold things when people don't wear them right, but they're not always for me. I'm a thief for my friends, too."

Looking down at her tiny hooves, Ovi sucked on her teeth before chancing another glance up at the stallion and his bonded, "Is that alright? I could steal for you three, too."

ooc - I LOVE SHAMMMMYYYY <3

THE CLOVENHEART
on his own

Watching Ovidius go through a process that seemed, to him, childlike was both amusing and endearing. Just as the gold-spiked mare saw him as a sort of father figure, he viewed her as a filly in need of mentorship. Ashamin didn't think so far ahead as to position himself watching over her, but perhaps in time the roles would become more clear. For now, he was just happy that she was happy. In that innocent moment, surrounded by nothing but the tides and the embrace of new allies, that would be enough.

When she admitted to Ashamin that her specialty was theft, he couldn't say he was surprised. Though a part of him wasn't too keen on the idea of taking what belonged to someone else, he knew better than anyone that Helovia was not a land that was preoccupied with laws of right or wrong. Besides, he'd seen others do far worse than snatch a trinket or two. He'd done much worse himself.

Plus, if she was good at remembering things, it was possible that Ovi could provide useful intelligence for the Unbound, or maybe even serve as a scholar. "I am sure your skills will be quite useful, Ovi. As an apprentice Looter you could do a lot for us. My own son, Rein, hopes to learn more about the art of stealth. It would be wonderful if you could teach him some of what you know," Ashamin said to her with a smile and another step closer, a simple gesture that his words meant closeness. He trusted her with knowledge of his son, and that was not to be taken lightly.

"I don't believe the three of us will have need of any more items, but I appreciate the offer," Ashamin said with a glance cast back to Rakt, who immediately appeared crestfallen at the news that he would not be given new gifts. Lochan seemed unperturbed.

"Perhaps there is something I could teach you, in exchange for your loyalty and the knowledge you'll share with the rest of us? I'm a scholar and warrior by trade, and with your memory and those spikes I'm sure you'd be well suited as either a crusader or absolver," Ashamin said, testing out words spoken only to his companions in the night and never officially. He could see Ovi doing well in either role, though, and as a looter she'd already be gaining knowledge that she could transition into either role as a secondary discipline.

""

image credits

(@Ovidius if she asks for fighting tips we could transition into a both IC and OOC teaching spar? You can attack first if you want to skip the intro bits.)

Eris
OVIDIUS

Relief flooded the tiny mare, the creases and wrinkles about her face smoothing out as she relaxed. Her usual, carefree grin returned to it's home upon her lips as she beamed up at the three creatures before her, all adorned with horns and a sort of genuine kindness that could not be taught or learned, but just was. It was almost too easy to pay attention to the words that spilled from the stallion's mouth, too melodic was his voice and too charismatic was his character.

It came as no surprise to the golden mare that he had traded a place of servitude for one of leadership, she would trust no one else to govern and care for her now that she had served witness to her new friend.

So in awe of his gilded tongue and lovely demeanor, Ovi almost didn't catch the actual meaning of the words Ashamin was speaking. She would clearly need to work on not getting so distracted by him in the future, but as the word "son" slipped from between his pale lips, Ovidius couldn't help but cry out in joy. Not only would she be useful, she would have the privilege of teaching Ashamin's own progeny! Not only did the stallion trust her with his name and friendship, he trusted her with knowledge of his child.

It was a gift so vast that, as it settled upon her shoulders, a warm realization of her value, Ovidius felt a new sense of purpose begin to unfold within her heart. She could do something here, beneath the watchful gaze of Ashamin and his companions. She could truly follow the path she was given to something glorious, to something truly and entirely successful. Her pulse began to race, the thrill of potential and it's actualization rushing through her body in a wild rush of anticipation.

She couldn't wait to get started.

Yet the reddened stallion still had more to say, offering her a choice between a crusader and absolver (whatever that was). Cocking a back hoof and leaning to the side, Ovi allowed herself to sink into thought, to truly consider a decision that very well may define her entire future. How dramatic, she mused, eyes trailing over the moonlit sands. She thought back to her run in with the Elephant King, and how he had almost squished her beneath his big belly. Shuddering, Ovidius cast a quick thank-you to whatever gods were listening and whoever had kept her from becoming crow food.

With an absent nod and a straightening of her stance, Ovi huffed a bit and responded to Ashamin with all of the determined derisiveness her little body could muster, "I would like to be a scholar, but if you're up for it," Her mask of regality slipped away, revealing a wry expression and a wild glint in her eyes, "I could use some advice on how to make my spikes a little more effective. Have any pointers?"

Tail lashing at the air about her hindquarters, Ovidius danced back from Ashamin's muscular frame, her terrible pun threatening to overtake her with her own laughter.

"Come on, Shammy! Show me how it's done!"