the Rift

She's Not a Good Loser [Temb challenge]

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

"FINE."

Her words lashed out at the behemoth stallion, golden eyes glaring up at him with unbridled grumpiness. She stomped her front right hoof, the frustration too much for her tiny body to contain. Of course, somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew she was being childish, but damnit she couldn't steal anything in this place. Maybe she needed to brush up, maybe she needed to adapt, or maybe she needed to castrate a giant striped jerk.

She had decided on the latter.

Squaring her shoulders, the tiny mare looked around at her increasingly familiar surroundings - what could she say? The denizens of the World's Edge had good taste in jewelry - and noted how the trees were almost crowding her toward the Elephant King. Eyeing the fat (but handsomely fat, if she were being honest) face of her newly found enemy, Ovidius stuck her tongue out at him as she searched for the words that would spur his gigantic Highness into action.

"You caught me again, okay? Teach me a lesson, oh most-high worshipfulness, because I promise, if you don't I'm coming back for more." Golden eyes glinted with the challenge and her lips twisted in a wry mockery of a smile, "Kick my ass and you'll get a break, fail to do so and I'm coming around every chance I get."

So with that, the tiny mare bared her teeth and waited for the battle to begin.

@Tembovu

Ovidius is pissed off that she keeps getting caught by the World's Edge so she's challenging Temb to a fight bc she's a prideful idiot.

It's set in the southern part of WE where the trees are thick, day time, you have the first move, smitty bb
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
only the dead have seen the end of war
Navy stare calmly meets the surly, golden glare of the darkly inked mare. His neck was forced to arch, eyes cast down at the woman. Her body was slender and full of angles— as sharp as her gilded gaze and lashing words. The cusps of youth clung like whispers, hung on the gold spines that lined her slight back.

His great skull cocked slightly, black rimmed ears sweeping forward at the petulant stomp of her gilded hoof against the misted ground. His hulking form was crowded by the trees, while hers fit easily between the thick, towering trunks. No wonder the small mare had chosen this spot as a point of entry to steal from the Edge. Her black coat easily melded into the shadows.

But the glints of gold had given her away. The mist was thin midday in Birdsong, heated and lifted by the sun’s light. The serene woods where he had caught the thief were suddenly shattered by his rolling, rich chuckle as she stuck her tongue out at him. This small mare was fiery, even if she had a flair for adolescent behavior.

His chuckle died as glinting, challenging words poured out of her lips. And the Elephant King’s ebony brows raised once again in his masked face. She wanted him to ‘kick her ass’? The man, when known as the Elephant General, had dealt with cocky, brash youths like this young mare. But those had been colts that he had been able to train to become soldiers. There was a method to creating discipline and respect in another, and one simple, brutal beating was not it.

A soft sigh pushed past his nostrils as he subtly shifted his haunches against a tree, But he did not attack— not yet. Instead, he said, “I will teach you the lesson you so badly desire. But first tell me, why do you seek to steal from the Edge, little crow?” In the absence of her knowing name, he gave her one befitting her sharp eyes and black coat.

Mbwene swayed on round feet behind him, trunk raised and bright eyes blazing, as she waited to teach this pipsqueak a lesson.

A: -/4
WC: -/800
Tembovu
the elephant king
image | table style by Kiki

@Ovidius He's didn't want to take the first attack? I don't know.

Please tag Tembovu.

Ovidius Posts: 36
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 13.3hh :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
OVIDIUS

Somewhere in that prideful little head of hers, a voice was telling her that this was a terrible, terrible idea. Look at how big he is, it said, He could eat you if he were so inclined. You wouldn't even be an appetizer. Pursing her lips, Ovidius shook her head against the voice, deciding that she would, actually, serve as a very suitable appetizer for the behemoth.

Appetizer and butt-kicker, that is.

She was taken from her internal reverie by the honeyed baritone of the World's Edge King - what was his name again? Turpentine? Tallywhacker? Whatever.

Tensing, the petite gal prepared herself for what she assumed would be a declaration of strength followed by a war cry, but alas, she was merely saddled with a question. With a roll of her eyes and an irritated twitch of her tail, Ovi responded with a voice coated with impatience, "You people have all this gold, all these sparkly gems, and don't even wear them right!" Outrage was apparent in her expression, in the molten gold of her eyes and the set of those thin shoulders, "It's not just an accessory, it's not just pretty, it's supposed to be worn with pride and respect. Where there's gold there is power. Where there is gold, there is someone to be listened to."

There was a pause then, a frown on her face and a sulky glower aimed at the trees, the sky, the grass, at her reflection in those baby blues, that damned mini-elephant and her waving trunk; she knew it wasn't the best trait to steal, but she wasn't the best equine, so the Gods could make a damn exception where she was concerned.

"I want to be listened to. I have things to say! I am small but I know things! And stuff!" The last two syllables were tacked on hastily and without thought, belying her claim toward knowledge. She couldn't be bothered with it, though, she had issued a challenge and she would be loath to give the big lug the chance to strike while she was babbling away. With a curt nod and a stubborn set to her jaw, the tiny mare spun to her right and leaped behind the nearest tree.

Peeking out from behind her leaf-laden fortress, Ovidius gave a petulant glare before rounding the tree and sprinting in the Elephant King's direction. The war cry that she had been building up erupted from her lips in a pitiful squeal that couldn't have scared even the most skittish of squirrels. Despite her lack of skill in the intimidating-yell department, Ovi barreled on toward the direction of her opponent's exposed belly, intending on using the spines along her neck and back to rip at the soft flesh of his gut. Lowering her head, the petite challenger hoped that the stallion wouldn't move - or stomp on her - while she was beneath his bulk.

She didn't think she would be half as adorable if she were smashed to a pulp.

@Tembovu

OOC - Why the hell is it that I can only write good spar posts with Ori this is a disaster. Whatever. RIP Ovi.

Attack: 1/3
Words: < 800
Summary: Ovi talks some smack, hides behind a tree, then jumps out and tries to run under Temby so she can slice his belly with her spikes.
Damage: none taken yet
Just to prove I'm not a runner,
I'll be coming with my guns up,
Shooting at the moon to bring the sun up.

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
only the dead have seen the end of war
The King chose to ignore the petulant roll of eyes that accompanied her answer to his questions. Her lesson was coming soon, so there was no need to waste his breath now. But her answer—it surprised him. She wanted gold because it meant power? Navy eyes darken on her own, gilded gaze. “There was so much more to power than gold,” he wants to saw, “there is weight, responsibility, triumph and tragedy. Power is more than having others listen to whatever ‘stuff’ you wish to be heard. It is saying things that need to be said when you don’t want to say them.”

But it is clear, by the equal parts sass and huffiness exemplified by the little mare, that his words will fall on deaf ears. Or, at least, ears too full of her own ‘knowledge’ and needs to have room for any of the Elephant King’s words or lectures. So, instead, he watches the stubborn set of her jaw just as she disappears behind a tree trunk. So tiny is she that it swallows her dark body whole, entirely hiding her from his view. He sighs, internally preparing himself to use his strength, but not all of his strength. She is so young, just barely more than a filly. This little girl did not need to feel the full wrath of an Elephant King. She needed only a lesson, not permanent maiming.

Weighing his bulk against her slender agility, along with her disappearing from sight, allows her a small amount of surprise in her attack. Though it is ruined by her tiny, high pitched, nearly endearing war cry squeal. Her charge is aimed at his side, her gleaming and sharp golden spikes going for the tender flesh beneath his barrel.

With his mind swamped by the thoughts of how to teach her a lesson in battle without killing her, he momentarily forgets about the trees he has closely arranged his haunches near. So, with a belated warning from Mbwene, his dock and haunches painfully smash into the rough, thick trunks behind him. A grunted curse passes out of his lips as the waspish dart of adolescent angst charges nearer.

His miscalculation of the Edge’s dense trunks allows the small mare to dart partway beneath the left side of his barrel. A few of her neck-thorns slice thin, shallow ribbons of red through the ivory skin there. But the Elephant, for all his heavy bulk, jerks his forehand up, up, up. Haunches strain, though they are bolstered and supported by the trunks that had just trapped him. And he is towering above the midget, gold-dusted crow beneath him.

A grunt against the welling red sting escapes his nostrils, but he sweeps the thoughts of the shallow pain aside. He does not want to skewer his barrel on her spikes, nor does he wish to land the full weight of his hooves upon her back. So, somewhat awkwardly, he twists his weight to his left before he starts coming back down to earth. His right forelimb swings heavily through the air, massive ivory hoof aiming to firmly knock the little nuisances aside and out from under him.

Bustling mind reaches out to Mbwene, telling her to wait. He promises her she can fight in this fight, but not yet. This appeases the small pachyderm, and her enraged, ear-piercing trumpets abate.

A: 1/4
WC: 564/800
Damages: Thin, shallow cuts on left barrel;
Summary: Tembo rears up when she comes towards him, and then tries to kick her with his right fore hoof. @Ovidius
Tembovu
the elephant king
image | table style by Kiki

Please tag Tembovu.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
@Ovidius defaults to Tembovu due to not replying in a timely manner.
There is no action due from this challenge.

0.5 VP awarded to Tembovu.