the Rift

[PRIVATE] Bruises

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah

Ever since that bizarre meeting with the rest of the Basin, I had been feeling a little less safe there than I had been when I first arrived. Although my greatest fear was no longer invasion (though it was still a great fear of mine) it was now fear over what destruction may come from within in a herd so divided, so angry. Did I really want to live somewhere where I feared both might happen? Calder reassured me that he would keep me safe but that really wasn’t his job, it was my own.

This walk I was taking ended up being considerably longer than I intended, I was driven further south more for the need to see green, leafy trees again than I was the need to get out of the Basin for good. A temporary relief while I tried to sort through everything.

Not that travelling on my own seemed to make any more sense, of course. I still found that I was jumpy, shying away from everyone else that I happened across on the way - even going so far as to drift into a few thickets on the way so that I could avoid them.

Afterwards, I was always annoyed with myself - each and every time - but it didn’t change the way my heart raced when I saw someone approaching and I didn’t recognize them. Why were there so many winged creatures in this place? Their existence still baffled her - was Helovia where the gods came to rest on this plane? All gathering here in masses when they weren’t appearing in stories and legends in other parts of the world.

I wasn’t proud of it, but as I was walking and a pegasus flew above me I spooked - running forward to escape… well, there really wasn’t anything to escape from but the whoosh of the wings as they flapped startled me.

By the time I got my nerves under control I was crashing into a shallow lake, the waters still cool in the early spring and splashing some sense back into me as I disturbed the lilypads and the peaceful afternoon. “Get a fucking grip, Elspeth!” I shook my head and chastised myself, coming to stand in the water that just reached the lower dip of my barrel as the ripples started to settle around me.

@Graasvoel <3
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Graasvoel Posts: 97
World's Edge Artificier atk: 3.5 | def: 7.0 | dam: 8.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0hh :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
smitty
The two mares he had met in the meadow, before, had scattered silently, much the the behemoth’s disappointment and annoyance. It seemed he had much better luck with the fairer sex in both Uulamah (obviously) and the plateaus (surprisingly). However, the ever avid man was not to be thwarted, and instead he continued to wander in pursuit of a more receptive woman.

And where else to find an amenable woman than to follow the scent of hormones and pheromones? His nostrils flared as he left the Edge’s borders, following the southern wind that carried the bouquet of provocative scents. Wherever they were coming from, this was his kind of place.

He took to the skies, soaring on the souther wind as he deeply breathed in the warm, scented air. His great wings rarely flapped— they were crafted for gliding on air currents. So he wheeled and turned, slowly making his way over a pond surrounded by willows. It was quaint, really, and certainly the water added an extra-dimension to the possibilities of extra-curricular fun.

And fate smiled on him as he dropped from the sky and approached the willows, finding the small, cream colored mare from the meadow crashing into the cert lake that drew his attention. Pale ears perk as his large hooves landed heavily on the plush, moist soil.

A grin lighted his black-marked face, hearing the auburn-haired woman speaking to herself. Elspeth. So he now knew her name, and it was an endearing one. He walked forward on tall, thick legs, feathered hooves just breaching the shallows of the water. Perhaps it had been clear, but her crashing had made the water murky.

“Hello, lovely lady,” his rough voice rolled out over the rippling water, “it seems you ran off from me last time. Did I do something to offend you?” His smile was easy, his posture relaxed, great wings tucked loosely into his sides.

graasvoel

@Elspeth I hope it's okay how he interpreted how their last thread ended <3

Please tag Graasvoel in all posts.

Absent Abyss
Sarah

While I was in the middle of giving myself what I thought to be a rather moving speech - all about how I needed to get it together - when all such thoughts evaporated at the sound of another’s voice. It was familiar - which was startling all on its own - and I twist to spot a great stallion standing on the shores of the small lake. A great winged stallion. “Oh!”

I get over my shock at recognizing him fast enough to actually hear the words that he has spoken. Why did everyone that spooked me insist on speaking with manners? It hardly made me feel any better about how my heart was pounding as I tried very hard to look at his face and not his wings. “No, I was just… spooked.” My auburn tail moves in the water behind me, the cloth tied carefully in it becoming soaked but my attention was on other things. I felt as though I needed to explain why I had bolted - especially since a similar reason had caused me to bolt just moments ago. Had he been the pegasus that flew above me? I hadn’t paused to get a good look.

“I had never seen a winged horse before…” And then, in a softer voice, my eyes trailing from his to rest on those odd appendages. “Are you a god?” As it had with Seren, it felt like a ridiculous question when actually spoke out loud but it felt an important one. How was I supposed to tell who and what the deities were in this place when everything screamed magic? Seren hadn’t been a goddess but I couldn’t quite shake the sensation that I had accidentally stumbled into a place where mortals like myself were few and far between.

He certainly looked the part to me and the idea that he could be a deity did little to calm the fear rising like bile in my throat. In the lake, I would not be able to move quickly away if I needed to. This was a foolish action and I silently curse myself - hoping that I would not miss the need for an escape route.

@Graasvoel <3

smitty
Her lovely amber eyes tried to remain on his stark face, but he could not help but notice how often they flittered towards his wings. His black-streaked skull cocked slightly, before her hesitant, lilting voice explained her previous escape and jittery gaze. She had never seen one with wings before? —did that mean she had never been with a winged man before? Suddenly this petite, gorgeous little woman had even more appeal for the Korofi stallion.

He cannot help the slight ruffling of his feathers as her gaze freely trails his large appendages, ’There are many large things about me, sweetheart,’ but his overtly flirtatious words died on his lips as a question fell out hers.

And he laughed, a loud, bawdy guffaw came out his dark muzzle as his yellow eyes danced in amusement. He had been complimented on his prowess and experience before, but never (even in intimate matters) had he been accused of godliness. “No, sweet Elspeth,” his rough voice came from between chuckles, “I am no god,” he paused assessing the mare’s nervous apprehension and softening his outright roguish words to a simple, “Just a man looking to enjoy the company of a woman.”

It was then that he realized she was at a disadvantage for his name. Though, to be certain, there were many women who had known the vulture but not his name, the mare’s hesitant and worried demeanor strongly hinted that this woman was not of that sort. So, his rough voice sounded again, “Forgive me, lovely, I am Graasvoel. But call me Gaal.”

He took a few, long strides in the water, feeling the alluring play of water on his feather legs. To distract himself from such a pleasing sensation, he asked, “Are you new to Helovia, then? I just recently passed through the Threshold.”
graasvoel

@Elspeth

Absent Abyss
Sarah

Not a god, then - I’m relieved instantly at the reassurance and remain fearful for the day when a yes will follow that question. Just a man, he said. Seeking the company of a woman. Well. “Company?” I repeated the word, turning it into a question. Company was fine, I could handle company, but company was not something I was interested in and I hoped to make that quite clear. His rough voice was easy with the compliments, I hadn’t failed to notice that, but they were shallow little things - the light spatter of the first rain drops that could easily be brushed aside. Or so I hoped. It wasn’t that I didn’t appreciate them, of course, it was just that I didn’t think much of them at all.

It took a lot of control not to skitter further into the water when Gaal entered, his long strides carrying him further than I was comfortable with. Closer to those wings, I’m fascinated and it kept me grounded where I was. I’m wary of him, wary of his size and his proximity (he wasn’t too close but he was closer), but I was curious as well. How did it work, those great massive things? I knew he could fly on them because I had seen him land the last time we had ‘met’.

What did they feel like? Did they have the same mechanics of a bird’s wing? I had seen a fallen swan once, had stumbled across it with… with Tobias, my old mate. It had broken its wing and it laid splayed out beside it as it tried to get back to water. We had tried to help, but even the gentlest of movements had proven disastrous for the fragile bones. Tobias suffered the worst of the blows from the good wing, of the bites from that nasty beak.

Gaal did not look fragile, but that did not mean he wasn’t.

His question drew my attention back into the present. To him. “Yes, um… just arrived during the winter.” Had it really been so long? But then, as I kept reminding myself, I had nowhere else to go. “Do you live with any of the herds?”

- - I am lost and found

art by mockingale

@Graasvoel I got tired of the purple but still like the picture xD

smitty
Her apprehension was plain to see—this delightfully slender little woman did little to hide her emotions (which, he knew, could lead to incredibly exuberant and rewarding relations between the two). But, alas, this fear of him, his size, or his wings would likely keep either of them from experiencing that.

So the colossal stallion stopped his leisurely walk into the water, the cool liquid lapping gently at his massive knees. But she didn’t run—no, her lovely amber eyes were still glued to his wings, tucked loosely at his sides. Yellow and red eyes sharpen on her face, crafty thoughts darting through his surprisingly cunning mind (he often kept his shrewd intelligence smothered, for women like to feel that they are smarter than the men they sleep with; which, truthfully, was fine with the vulture).

His starkly white face dipped in understanding as she answered his question, his rough voice sounding to answer the question of her own, “Yes, I reside in the World’s Edge. The fancy name drew me in,” he winked in jest, “Yourself?”

He paused for a moment, still watching her close inspection of and darting gaze to his feathered appendages. And then—slowly— he partially unfurled his right wing, massive feathers carefully spreading, the tips of his primaries brushing the surface of the water and sending ripples across the pool. “You can touch it, Elspeth,” a roguish grin crossed his muzzle, “I promise I don’t bite.” At least, not unless you want me to. But he kept that thought to himself, for he didn’t want to scare off the pretty little woman. In fact, just the opposite.

So he stood as still and unassuming as he could, offering the woman an opportunity to physically inspect the wing that she seemed equal parts terrified by and fascinated with.
graasvoel

@Elspeth

Absent Abyss
Sarah

“World’s Edge? That sounds dangerous.” My eyebrows might have quirked as I thought about it, if I had any. But then, I supposed, someone with wings wouldn’t mind living on the edge of the world. Someone I met in the Threshold had been from the Edge, the one who had used magic. It made me wary of Gaal. Well, more wary of him. It wasn’t like I was just sitting around, completely calm around him. I felt restless and I wasn’t sure that my heartbeat was ever going to calm down. Was everyone in the World’s Edge magical?

“I’ve been staying in the Aurora Basin.” I was careful to not stay living in the Aurora Basin because I wasn’t entirely sure if I was living there. Or if I was just staying for the time, staying until I could figure out what else was possible for me to do in this world now that I had lost everything.

I wasn’t stranded here but where do you go when you’ve got nowhere else to go?

These treacherous emotions undoubtedly flicker through my golden eyes as they course through my mind but I’m distracted from these thoughts because Gaal was extending one of his wings. He moved slow enough that I don’t flinch away from it and the next words from his mouth are so surprising that I actually laughed. How long had it been since I had done that? The sound of it surprised me again and I had to shake my head to try to get a handle on the bubble of bright, ringing laughter that is trying to escape from me. I didn’t have that light, tinkling, lady-like laughter - it was full of life.

Once I finally did get a hold on it, I considered his offer for a moment before deciding. “Don’t move.” I warn him as I take a cautious step forward in the water, the ripples from my movement clashing with the ones he had created with his wing. I keep a wary eye on him as I stretch out my muzzle, moving impossibly slowly toward the offered appendage. I feel like every muscle in my body is made of stone, I’m so tense and just waiting for him to move and spook me. But if he remained still, I finally made it close enough so that my freckled muzzle brushed a soft caress against his wing. “They’re so… soft.” I marvel quietly.

- - I am lost and found

art by mockingale

@Graasvoel :D

smitty
A low chuckle rumbled in the back of his throat as she proclaimed that the World’s Edge sounded ’dangerous.’ His heavy, bearded head cocked slightly as his sharp, yellow gaze watched her closely, listening to her answer. He had heard of the Basin, it had been said in passing during his time in the Edge. Though he hadn’t visited it nor flown over it; the mountains’ rough updrafts reminded him too much of flying the plateaus. And he was all to happy to leave that behind him.

He remained quiet for a moment, his own face brightening with a grin to mirror the same sudden, exuberant amusement that bubbled to hers at his invitation to touch his wing. He still watched her closely, appreciating how dazzling her amber eyes became when not clouded with fear or apprehension. Those were the kind of eyes a man loves to look into— especially when in the throes of passion.

But, (surprisingly) obeying to her command, he stayed relatively still as she approached with caution. He is not ignorant to the pleasant feeling of the ripples her legs send crashing into his thick columns; nor does he miss how delicately her muzzle brushed against his feathers. Her muzzle—it was freckled. He hadn’t noticed that before.

“They’re so…soft.” And he broke his vow of stillness as, again, he outright laughed at the woman’s words, his wing moving with his barrel’s vibration of amusement, “That’s the first time I’ve heard that as a compliment,” his words came from between chuckles. But, as his chuckles faded, he continued to watch her, his wing (still slowly) spreading out further, “You can feel as much as you’d like,” his rough voice was as genuine as his laughter—and he tried to hide the ulterior meaning of his words, though he wasn’t sure he was succeeded. She was a beautiful little mare, after all, and they were in water surrounded by the scents of coupling.

So he took a deep breath, continuing on an earlier vein of their conversation, “I haven’t been to the Basin,” the topic change was quick, “But the Edge isn’t too dangerous. Just some high, misty sea cliffs. Besides, little Elspeth, a little danger makes you feel alive. It just might do you some good,” and he winked playfully (if a little suggestively) at her.
graasvoel