Ravel Posts: 15
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: III
Eshye
@Alysanne
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Only a few days had passed since Ravel had first crossed the Threshold. As each day passed, the fractures in her heart widened and spread. It ached so very much that Ravel thought she would fall ill from the pain. But this uneasy feeling, this dread and heartbreak, was hidden behind a placid face. She smiled politely when in the company of others, but when she was left alone… oh, how many tears had she cried?

Everything felt so foreign to her, so new and strange. In the Threshold she’d thought of how curious it would be, a blind horse living at the World’s Edge. The reality of her situation, however, slowly grew all too real. It was disheartening, to her, by the first night. She’d spent all of her life among the company of her brother, and then she’d wandered alone in a straight line to Helovia. Now she felt unsafe moving from where anyone left her.

In the quiet moments when she was left by herself, she thought of what her brother would say. She was sure that he would tell her that she would know if she drew too near the edge -- that she would feel the cool air as it came up from the sea. He would tell her that the trees, though plenty, would offer their roots for her to trip on so she would not come too close to their trunks. The glass, however, Ravel did not know. She wasn’t sure how much her brother knew of glass, or if he’d ever encountered a wall of it before -- broken or not. But amidst these thoughts, Ravel was not sad. She felt comforted, and she had faith that soon enough her brother would come and by then she would be leading him around the Edge.

So on this evening, the long-legged mare found herself near the edge of the trees, among the lush new grass. Ravel grazed in a small spot, careful to eat every bit on within her grasp before turning just slightly. She didn’t know that the sun was setting, but she found solace in the quiet that fell around her.
★ harm her if it pleases you,
but death is not ready for her yet

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Alysanne had been standing on the cliffs, her wings unfolded just enough to feel the breeze beneath them, feel it toy with the feathers there. She wasn’t quite confident in her re-education of flying to leap off of them just yet without any fear of plunging into the depths and rocks that waited at the bottom - but she enjoyed the possibility that it would come to her soon. For now it was enough for those emerald eyes to close and her to imagine the take-off and flight. Being practical even in her imagination, Alysanne was sure to include a few mistakes as she pictured how it might happen. If she wasn't an expert in reality she had no right to assume any different in her mind.

Returning to earth and to the Edge, she began to turn away - unwilling to watch the last bit of light leak out of the day - when she noticed a stranger grazing just within the forest a little ways off.  

Well, here was a perfect chance for her to stop being a recluse, to actually integrate herself back into the herd and try to recover what she had shrugged off. She only hesitated for a moment before moving forward, steeling herself against the flutter of uncertainty and shyness that was new to her, abandoning the cliff side and moving toward the trees and the unknown mare.

Although there was something a little odd about the mare’s movements as she grazed, it was not something Alysanne dwelled on as she approached (easily dismissing it as a preference for certain grasses). Still, she worried about accidentally spooking someone so intent on their grazing so she made sure to shuffle her wings and shuffle her hooves slightly on rocks and dirt, subtle noises that might be a herald before she drew close enough to speak. By now, certainly, it was far too late to turn and run - she would have been seen.

Hemlock, her small owl companion, perched in his favourite spot between her ears gave her a small nip of encouragement. So she moved until there was a comfortable space between them before stopping - the setting sun soft and warm upon her back as she offered a similarly warm smile. “Hello! Sorry, I don’t mean to intrude on your meal - but I don’t think we’ve met. My name’s Alysanne, I’m one of the doctors here.”

*ALYSANNE
lying on the edge of a star
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast
Eshye
@Alysanne
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Although lost in thought, the sound of feathers shuffling always caught Ravel’s attention. She had somewhat of a fascination towards them, feathers, as the feel and thought of them enveloped her. For a moment she thought, perhaps, they belonged to a very large bird. But then she recalled that wings were common among the horses here. It made quite a bit of sense to her, being so very close to the edge.

She lifted her head ever so slowly, aiming her face in the direction of the approaching creature. She chewed and swallowed what remained in her mouth and offered a polite smile as the other slowed to a stop. Broken, pale eyes shifted slowly as the other spoke, until they came to rest staring awkwardly over top of the pegasus.

A doctor? She was reminded of her mother then, such a caring soul, and as the memories flooded her the corners of her mouth rose just slightly. She thought of her mother’s warmth, her kisses, her lullabies. Ravel’s heart ached, but she knew she would see her again. She had faith.

“Hello,” she breathed, the word quiet but clear. “My name is Ravel,” she continued, her words soft but precise.

“A noble profession,” she mused, “healing others.” Her words were genuine, and she felt a rush of respect for this doctor, this Alysanne. She blinked, ears trained on her company -- she didn’t want to miss a word.

She felt safe in that moment, in this strange place with strangers. So close to disaster, to death.

Alysanne could not recall how long it had been since she had met someone who was blind - certainly it had been a long time - but she did not fail to notice the tell-tale way those strange pale eyes seemed to settle just a little off place. It made her nervous how close Ravel was to the cliffs - not close enough to be in any real danger, of course, but close enough that a handful of steps in the wrong direction could spell disaster. The desire to protect this mare was not unlike that she felt for her daughter and her sister and, well, everyone else she ever met. It was strong.

But, the pegasus chided herself, before she went and started trying to mother a near-stranger she needed to remember that she didn’t know the depth of the blindness. It could very well be that there was still some sight! Never having been blind herself, Alysanne shouldn’t make assumptions. She was a doctor, after all. It would be rude to lump everyone together into neat categories based on a few observations.

In a soft voice, the black mare introduced herself and Alysanne smiled warmly in response - the expression showing in her own voice. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ravel. Are you new to the Edge?” It would be rather embarrassing if she wasn’t, since the two mares had not crossed paths before, but it seemed a safe question to ask.

At the comment about how healing others was a noble profession, Alysanne’s voice brightened further with her smile. Healing was something she found easy to talk about and she welcomed the chance to do so. “Thank you, it’s always been something I’ve enjoyed ever since I was a filly learning herbs from my father. Have you considered becoming a healer?” Almost all new members of the Edge were greeted with the same speech about which of the five sectors they might feel most comfortable in. Did Ravel have one in mind?

*ALYSANNE
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast
Eshye
@Alysanne
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Ravel revealed in the moment, slipping small moments of quiet in after her company’s questions before answering them with her own soft voice. “I am new here, yes,” she said. New, but carving a way for her family… she hoped. She thought of mentioning her brother, of how he would come and join her soon, but perhaps somewhere in her heart she knew that would be wrong. But in that moment she did not allow the sorrow she felt to take hold of her, and instead put on a small smile. The sadness could wait; she just wanted to be happy for now.

Though having just met this mare, Ravel enjoyed her company very much and longed to hear more about her and her chosen profession. She wanted to know what brought her to the Edge, what made her want to care for others in such a devoted profession. She enjoyed hearing the smile in the healer’s voice as she spoke, and did not want to hear her speak with anything but a gentle curve of her lips from happiness.

“I will leave the nurturing of the body to you, my friend,” she paused for a moment, inhaling the now-comforting scents of the Edge, the earthy smells of her company. Her smile widened and grew softer still. “I prefer to nurture the mind, the soul.” She paused again, a tiny laugh escaping her. The sound was rough and quiet, easy to miss. But she shook her head just so and continued, “Have you lived here long, Alysanne?”

The black mare wasn’t a healer but, hey, not everyone could be. It was wonderful to hear about the passions of others, especially when they didn’t align with her own because that meant Alysanne could learn something new. “That is a noble pursuit, Ravel.” She used the same word that the black mare had employed to describe healing on purpose, a smile twisting on her mouth at the gentle joke. “Helovia is not only rich in lore for itself but also the dozens of homelands that others have come from. Have you spoken with our Seer Alune yet?” Surely his ranks of sages and philosophers would be the best fit for Ravel!

“It’s been four years now, I came to Helovia quite by accident - I got lost in a snowstorm and separated by my family. The members of the Edge took me in and I found a home here.” Alysanne felt as though she were radiating fondness, the warmth in her voice clearly demonstrating a love for this herd. And, when it came down to it, she did love it - more than anywhere else she had ever lived. However many pig-headed kings she had to deal with, the Edge felt like it would always be her home.

But before she can lapse into dreamy silence, Alysanne was quick to continue. “Luckily, my sister and son found me before too long and they’ve been living here as well.” Alysanne knew that she was one of the fortunate ones - whose left-behind family was almost completely in Helovia now despite the fact that they had not been born there. Even though her son was currently missing she still fostered a bright sense of hope that he would one day return, that they would all be together. But just as she had left her parents when she was younger to start a life and family of her own - perhaps Artorius had felt the same drive pushing him from the Edge.

“Do you have any siblings?” Sometimes it was a heavy question but, hopefully, it would be an easy topic for Ravel.

*ALYSANNE

@Ravel
made by the lovely tamme

Outcast
Eshye
@Alysanne
by azagus

please teach me gently
how to breathe

Curious, greedy ears never falter. They align themselves so that they face the long-legged woman’s company, this healer Ravel already felt a kindness for. Her eyes, however, do not have the same precision as her ears. Milky and broken, they stared with an intensity but they looked beyond the healer, beyond the Edge.

Had she met the Seer, the healer asked. Ravel felt like she may laugh at this inquiry, and she wondered if her new friend knew that she was blind and her question could sound humorous to some. But instead of laughing Ravel shook her sharp face slightly. She tucked the name of the Seer gently away so that she would remember to listen for it, for this Alune. How curious it would be, to meet the Seer.

Ravel’s company continued talking, and Ravel felt a fleeting sense of relief. Until: four years... separated from family. Ravel’s head began to spin. For a moment, the rest of her life played out and it frightened her. She was alone, barren, and forgotten in the Edge. But the softness, the love in Alysanne’s voice kept Ravel’s heart from breaking. Maybe, even so, it smoothed over some of the fractures that Ravel felt would never be eased.

Ravel felt healed by the mare’s words, and as she continued -- oh! Ravel’s heart sang! Hope flooded her and it was so nice to wear again. It fit her kindly, reaching out to tickle the edges of her body. If Alysanne had been lost and found, Ravel was sure that her brother would find her. The black mare’s smile grew more than it had in quite a long time, and she nodded to the mare.

“I have a brother,” she said. The words were sure, strong. Her voice did not waver or break. “He’ll come find me in the Edge, when he…” her hope slipped, her smile fell, and her words faded away. She wasn’t sure how much to share, what to say. A moment passed, but Ravel could still feel the way her heart hurt less, and she was thankful. She wanted to share, but it didn’t feel right. Not yet.

So she did not pick up her words again, and she did not pick up her smile. She allowed the hope to fade enough to not overwhelm her, but kept some to keep the loneliness and sorrow at bay. A tiny sliver of hope was used in that time, as Ravel wanted Alysanne to understand that she… didn’t have words. She still felt so very fragile, though her head never dropped and she did not turn from her company. She didn’t want to talk about her family, but she didn’t want to be alone, either.