the Rift

[OPEN] And our hearts did beat... [acceptance]

Zyanya Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: VI
Tai
TO LET MY HEART BE MOVED, TO LAUGH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART,
TO FIND MEANING IN EVERYDAY LIFE...
Nerves engulfed her body like the chill surrounding her petite frame.  Despite the seasons having changed, the grip of winter harshly clutched the northern lands.  Snow covered the steppes in the shadow of great mountains, concealing a great treasure.  The calm spring sunrise in the forest seemed distant, replaced with the quiet stillness of a land cloaked in ice.  With each step, the girl felt as if she were moving back in time.

Never had Zyanya seen so pristine a landscape.

The snows wrapped her body in a cool embrace, but the little lamb did not notice the cold.  The barrage of sensations removed the priority of her skin's complaints.  Instead, the miles of snow barely touched by spring's warmth glimmered in her eyes.  The scent of unfamiliar bodies filled her lungs and caused her heart to beat faster and faster.  Maybe, if her pulsing heart ceased to clatter against her chest, she could feel the cold rising from her dainty cerulean hooves.  Instead, Zyanya noticed the brilliant shades of white and the endless sea of possibilities.  The possibility of new faces, though, terrified the mare.

The encounter with Frost Fyre in the forest surprised the mare, but the benevolent pair meant her no ill.  They accepted her quiet words of sorrow and invited her to join them in their home - the magical land of the Aurora Basin.  Zyanya hoped, like a fool, that everyone in the Basin held strong, kind hearts like the painted mare.  The name sparked wonder filled thoughts in the naive girl, who pictured the lights in the night sky.  Her former home spoke of magic and the Northern Lights as legend - stories to soothe restless children at night.  "We come from a herd in the North called the Aurora Basin. It's well guarded by troops and magic and mountains".  She repeated the words over and over in her mind.

The Aurora Basin - it was magical, guarded, and most importantly safe.

The looming mountains which guarded the herd draw nearer and nearer.  Footsteps small and gentle fall over the rugged landscape of the Steppe.  The arduous journey from the Threshold was coming to an end, with the foot of the great mountains in view.  The long journey did little to settle the nerves of the refugee, who remained jittery throughout the travel time.  Yet, a calm wave began to envelop her as the sun settling below the peaks of the mountain casts a long shadow over her.  The imposing presence of the peaks intimidates the young girl, but her heart jolts with delight at the realization they will protect her.

Once she lived in the Aurora Basin, the security offered by those impenetrable mountains would be hers.  Zyanya embraced this thought, unconsciously quickening her pace.

The paths between the mountain range curve with unpredictable patterns, making the last leg of the journey to the Basin difficult.  The solid peaks allow their limbs to stretch haphazardly, causing navigation to be onerous.  The softhearted girl almost loses hope of breaking free of the mountain's grip when she sees an impossibly large unicorn.

Halting, the pallid girl blinks her lilac eyes many times, her first sight of the Sentinel being one of awe.  Instead of a giant, Zyanya realizes the figure is a statue.  Crafted with beauty and skill, the solemn unicorn mirrors the imposing might of the mountains surrounding it.  Beginning to move once more, a great shudder fills the air as the statue begins to move.

Horror fills the tiny face of the girl as the machine blacks the pathway to the lands which reveal a lush green amid the icy mountains.  The Aurora Basin was guarded, indeed.

So, the small, fragile girl stands below the Sentinel.  The massive machine's lifeless eyes glare, seeing the mare as nothing but an outsider.  Despite being the color of winter, Zyanya remains an outsider.  The invitation extended by Frost Fyre must not have fulfilled the proper requirements for entry into this mystical land.  The girl remains in front of the giant machine.  Her head tilts about in search of someone with authority to allow her passage.  Someone who could perhaps tame the machine like a misbehaving dog.

Zyanya meant no harm.  She only wished to be shielded from the evils of the world as well.

ooc;  @prissy
Sorry, I got impatient.  I tried to make it vague so that you could decide whether you wanted Frost Fyre to be here or not. Up to you. ^^

""
...I wanted to be given permission.
Zyanya

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
rexanna
I had a dream you were two towns from me —
Finally home. She rested easily, despite the two children that seemed to like to wander off on their own. Rexanna’s polecat companion, Marembo, had always slipped off to keep an eye on the twins that decided to explore the Basin to its fullest. They would be a handful, and Marembo made it his duty to make sure that they would be fine, despite the land being her home. So today she decided to take the children with her. She would show them the land they would call home, and show them how to survive among one of the harshest climates she’d ever lived in.

And so they set out, Rexanna letting the twins set out ahead of her, picking where to go first. Emerging from her cave, Marembo directed the children best he could to the more interesting parts of the Basin, until a tiny moving spot near the border grasped the Thief’s attention. Nudging her daughter Kiada toward the entrance to their home, the family headed off in that direction. It was almost relieving to see how wherever Kiada went, Kianzo was sure to follow. And despite having just given birth to twins not that long ago, Rexanna still owed her duty to the Basin. A little pitstop wouldn’t be that bad.

As she approached, the figure before her stood in a pale ivory, with a slight dusting of gold and aqua. Something Rexanna appreciated, seeing as she shared the creams and golds - with aqua eyes rimmed in ebony. Dipping her head to the creature in front of her, she offered her a gentle smile. Keeping her eyes on her twins, she did her best to try to manage the two trouble makers as well as greet the stranger at their door.

Hello there. I’m Rexanna, what brings you to the Basin?” She questioned, tilting her head slightly and allowing the golden chains that decorated her forehead to slide across her exotic rimmed face. Kiada stayed silent, watching the new creature with patient accepting blue eyes, despite the fact she didn’t want to be there greeting people when there were new places to explore. It was an adventure, and one that was slowly becoming rather boring for the filly. But she persevered nevertheless.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
spent the whole night running.
image credits

Welcome! I left it pretty open in case Prissy wants to pop Frost Fyre in here :) Also, in case any of it is confusing, Rexanna just had twins (Kiada and Kianzo). Kianzo will be posting here as well, but I’m not sure if I’ll be posting again with Kiada or not which is why I included her perspective! :D ) @Zyanya
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Kianzo Posts: 95
World's Edge Sleuth
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 hh :: 2
Keusi :: Striped Hyena :: Terrorize smitty
kianzo
The Basin was cold to the little goldling prince. Despite the Birdsong warmth, it was still the coldest place his newborn body had experienced. It was cooler than the place of his birth: it stung his infant nostrils and lungs, tingled his foal-fuzz covered skin, pricked his bright eyes— he liked it, living on that cusp of pain and discomfort made everything feel more alive.

So, it was on light, springing black hooves that he and his other half frolicking in front of their mother. The golden beacon of food and warmth urged them towards the border, and (in a rare moment of compliance) the independent colt and filly acquiesced to their mother’s guidance. Perhaps it was more that the little prince remained close to his sister, and she was following the urging of their dam. Regardless, the trio aimed for the small entrance of the Basin.

And something new, something interesting, stood between the broken-down humps of dark, hard substance (metal, but he knew it only from by the inquisitive touches of his whiskered, small muzzle). A pale figure stood, being addressed by mother’s welcoming, but boring words. She was tinged with the gold that he and his sister were dipped in, and it drew his eye and attention for a few moments.

But, then, he grew disinterested. Bright eyes masked in slowly darkening markings dart to his sisters ebony face, filled with a dark mischievous that (later in life) would likely be called malice. But, as it was, he was a newly born colt and thus far too young to harbor so strong an emotion in his small body.

Ashen chest suddenly puffed and buckskin neck arched, he stepped in front of his dam, small tail-fuzz twitching once in a silent invocation for Kia to step alongside him. (But, truthfully, it was likely that his twin was already beside him. They had an uncanny ability to do nearly everything in almost unison).

Horn-nubbed head rose, bright eyes fixing proudly up on the pale mare’s lavender eyes. “How d’you greet your Prince and Princess?” Despite the youthfulness of his voice and words, his voice rang clearly and commandingly for one so young. He snorted, golden shoulder standing boldly with his twin alongside him, waiting for an answer.

@Zyanya sorry it's a little rough, I didn't want to keep you waiting!

Also, @Rexanna , what is this little shit doing? o_o

Please tag Kianzo in all replies.

Outcast
Tai
Golden chains decorate the face of a new arrival, along with bold, dark markings.  For some reason, Zyanya cannot remove her eyes from the face of this stranger.  Unlike the youthful and sweet visage of Frost Fyre, the glint of this mare's crystalline blue eyes speaks of maturity.  This is wholly unknown to the pale maiden, having lived most of her life as a flower in waiting.  Such is typical of the noble mares of her home.  A sort of sly power emanates from the one approaching her now, and the presence of her children only bolsters Zya's image of her as an adult.

For whatever reason, the pale maiden is still thinking herself a child.

Following the mare are her children, or what Zyanya presumes are her children.  The coloration and markings of the boy mimic his mother, while the filly looks much like her brother.  Based on their size, the girl assumes they are twins.  The actions of the boy and girl support this presumption, for they move with a weird unity.  Now, the pallid girl had siblings, but never had she stuck so close to any of them.  Indajani chased after her heels, but she hardly noticed the girl until her absence left a void in her heart.  The twins seemed different, as if the presence of the other comforted them.  Their mother did not seem to note the presence of the children at first, her blue eyes patiently looking at Zya.

The confident voice leaving this mare's lips shakes Zyanya from her daze, causing her lilac visage to shift from the glimmering gold to look more directly at the mare's face.  Wide-eyed, hopeful, she smiles with a bright light.  She nearly opens her mouth to reply, only to snap it shut at the approach of the colt.

Face golden and painted with mirror markings to his mother, the boy carries a haughty air.  Not that this flusters the naive girl; instead, her ears tilt expectantly for the words of so commanding a foal.  “How d’you greet your Prince and Princess?”, he asks, causing the clockwork in Zya's brain to spin rapidly.

"I-," she pauses, looking toward Rexanna for a moment.  Perhaps, in this land, jewelry decorated the royalty.  Calmly, almost like a reflex, the tiny mare draws her body up - poised much like the statue in front of her for a moment.  Lightly, she dips her horn toward the ground in uncertain reverence of... the prince?  Her long mane falls forward, covering the majority of her face.  One lilac eye peers out, trying to determine if this was appropriate in their realm.

Little did she know that she was just part of a joke on the part of the boy, but who would deny one with such a confident tone?

Lifting her head, the petite mare smiles once more.  "I am Zyanya, but you may call me Zya," her gentle voices lilts forward, small and delicate even compared to the child's.   "Frost Fyre spoke of her home in the Threshold, and she invited me to come."

Peering around the family before her, she looks at the menacing machine.  "I stopped when I saw the... metal unicorn?" Realizing her voice had tilted into a question, Zya looks toward the snowy ground in embarrassment.  Never could that be polite.  The first time meeting the prince of her potential home and she is rude.  Glancing over at Rexanna, the pale girl withholds the desire to start quivering where she stood.  Instead, she shyly looks for affirmation in the face of the mare splashed with gold, unable to find her voice for the time being.

""
Zyanya

@Rexanna & @Kianzo

rexanna
Rexanna watched with a gentle smile on her lips as the mare looked to her. A smile crossed her face until the small voice of Kianzo broke the silence that had stretched between Zyanya and Rexanna. Immediately, after the words left her son’s mouth, her daughter piped up as well as she agreed with the colt. Rexanna’s eyes squinted as her head swivelled in a flurry to the children. A single golden ear flicked back to the newcomer on the border as she began to speak before pausing. Rexanna allowed the moment of silence for her blue gaze to catch the twins’ before she continued. “That is not how children greet those upon our borders.” Her voice was calm, but very demanding. It was easy to see how Kianzo had the confident sound to his voice, as the demanding tone from his mother filled the air.

Lifting her exotic striped face to the mare before her, she offered a tiny smile as she spoke of her name. Rexanna filed the name away, remembering it to the mare’s opalescent face. “My apologies, Zyanya. They haven’t learned their manners yet.” She forced another small glance to the colt and filly before perking her attention back up to Zya at the mention of Frost Fyre. “Of course. If it is a home that you seek, you have come to the right place.” She smiled, part of her still full of the embarrassment of Kianzo’s words. “These are the Sentinels. They keep an eye on the borders. Stopping when you saw them was a great call.” She smiled an honest smile. “Is there a job you would like to begin? Or would you like to see what’s around before diving straight in?” She questioned, turning her body slightly away from the mare with the invitation for her to follow. “I am the lead Thief for the Basin. There are many other occupations as well. We have warriors, crafters, visionaries, and healers.” Her voice was gentle as Marembo worked to guide the colt and filly further back into the Basin. Kiada protested at first, stamping her hooves with a small whine. “They are a bit impatient, again my apologies. If you follow me I can accept you.” She let her gaze drift away from the lavender orbed mare to look upon her twins with a slight frustrated look.

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
image credits

@Zyanya @Kianzo

World's Edge Sleuth
kianzo
He watches, smugly satisfied, as the woman dips her head. Her lilac eyes (his sharp gaze notes them closely and, even to his young mind, he finds them quite pleasing) peer out from silken, blue-tinged locks. Her tresses looked soft, and he finds himself eyeing them. If she bowed so quickly at his words, could she be convinced to give him some of her tresses? The blue-tinged white silk would be striking in Kiada’s ebony mane—

That is not how children greet those upon our borders.” The demanding rebuke of mother interrupts his controlling thoughts. Bright blue eyes narrow in annoyance at the chide, darkly rimmed ears tilting back as slitted gaze darts to her reproving face. His small milk teeth grit, creaking even in his youth, at his dam’s censure. Insolence and venom bubbles on his tongue, but he bites back the words and, instead, trades a viperish look with his twin. Some way or another, mother would pay for those remarks later, his young mind fumed.

He remained quiet as mother asked after the mare— there were jobs? Curiosity surpassed his malicious chagrin, instead bright blue eyes dart back to the pale stranger wondering if she had a ‘job.’ But, just as he was about to entirely tamp down his ire at mother, Marembo was suddenly trying to herd he and his sister away while his mother apologized for he and Ziada.

Raising his masked face and narrowing his dark eyes, his hoof suddenly stomped hard (and dangerously close to Maremo’s marbled body). He boldly met his mother’s frustrated look as he addressed the polecat, “No, Marembo, I’m going to hear what polite Zya has to say.” And he then trained his intense stare on the newcomer.

@Zyanya I love her, she's so cute! :D Sorry Zo is a lil turd rn
@Rexanna

Outcast
Tai
A strange smile graces the face of the boy, which pleases Zyanya.  Unwittingly, she returns a modest smile from behind her forelock.  Despite her playing the role of a fool in this play, the girl is happy to have made a "good" impression on the supposed prince.  Anyone with experience in the world would know the difference between a child's jest and reality.  Thankfully for our pretend prince, Zyanya experienced very little in her life.  Even so, her interactions with others had been plagued by being so dense.  The intents of others eluded the fair maiden, who only knew of her own pure heart.  The idea of darker thoughts never occurred to her; maybe they never would.

That is not how children greet those upon our borders.  Zya's surprise would be evident to anyone looking at her face.  The features of her tiny face look impossibly gaunt as her lavender eyes widen, mouth slacked with confusion.  An ear tilts uneasily atop her head, back hoof lifting slightly as though she would turn and run.  The chiding of Rexanna's children almost felt extended to the pale colored girl, who was already flustered with all the new faces and sights.  It isn't until the soft-toned apology slips from Rexanna's mouth that Zyanya's posture relaxes, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief.  Unable to voice her thoughts, she settles for a bright smile, as if to ease the concerns of her company.

The children were forgotten the moment "home" reaches Zya's eyes.  Her lilac eyes, nervous and subdued, brighten suddenly.  Liveliness begins to pour from them, unable to hide her excitement.  After being chased from her former home, how delightful to find shelter.  The ache of loneliness caused by the separation of her family dims, with the possibilities of the future growing with each word from Rexanna's mouth.  Even as Zyanya is being praised for her fear of the ominous machines, the Sentinels, her mind is floating on cloud nine.  A protected home, free from the fears of yesterday.  Somewhere new.

The idea of new was terrifying and exciting.  She would decide later which was more accurate.

Chagrin silently creeps its way back into her dainty face as Rexanna begins speaking of jobs.  As far as Zyanya knew, she had no talents.  The well-mannered girl simply lived quietly, being praised for her demure and easy going nature.  She never learned skills, never even properly understanding the subtilities of socializing.  Her lavender eyes fall to the ground, but ears remain turned toward the golden splashed mare, showing her attention.  Thankfully, Rexanna goes into more detail about jobs.  Frankly, had she not, Zya could only offer blank stares and gentle company, which didn't seem to be on the agenda of the Aurora Basin.  As expected, the mystical land held greater standards than the high houses.

The sharp stomp of a small hoof and defiant whine from the children might as well have been a gunshot, for the shock it caused Zya's nerves forces her to take a step back unintentionally.  This is when the girl notices the small... thing for the first time.  Everyone seemed to have these strange creatures.  This one, much smaller than Altair, was a small, mottled animal.  Never had Zyanya seen such a creature, which the boy referred to by name - Marembo.  More shocking than the weasel was the cooed compliment of the young boy.  Surprised but delighted, Zya looks directly at the boy and smiles gently.  "Thank you," almost a whisper but spoken with sincerity.

Her attention turns back toward Rexanna, completely unaware that the actions of her strong-willed children were embarrassing the mare.  Instead, the girl shyly looks up through glimmering lashes.  "I am afraid I don't really know what it means to have a 'job'," her voice hesitates for a second, thinking back on the list rattled off by the wiser mare.  "I will consider this and try my best to decide."  A small promise, one that Zyanya was sure she would keep.  Hopefully, her sincerity would be enough for the Aurora Basin... for now.

""
Zyanya

ooc -- That's alright.  Cheeky is fun. :D
@Rexanna & @Kianzo

rexanna
Marembo shifted away from the colt in nick of time, aside from a few mottled tufts of fur that stuck between the tiny colt’s hoof and the earth. His ears flattened as he glared at the child, the frustration billowing from his tiny body to his bonded. Rexanna passed a gentle sigh, gazing down at the colt with a mental apology aimed at the polecat for the ridiculous behavior of her son. If only his father were here, he wouldn’t be able to get away with this kind of attitude. Alas, the twins were so much a handful for the Thief that she often found herself too exhausted to reinforce the behavior she wanted.

She shifted again, thankful as Zyanya began to speak. A small nod was sent her way with a soft smile. “That’s not a problem. I didn’t have experience before I started in my duty as well. Feel free to join us, we can show you around the Basin, find you a cave to rest in, perhaps meet some others so you can learn some of the history here?” Tilting her head slightly, the golden chains shifted gently across her brow. “I’m sure it’s been a long journey for you.” Her voice was gentle as her blue gaze slipped from the mare to the colt and filly at her feet. “Do you want to show Zyanya around the Basin?” She hinted at a bit of amusement, wondering what kind of ideas the colt had for wanting to pay close attention to Zyanya. Was it just for the fact she was new? Or was it the fact that the colt and filly had learned their father was the King of the Edge, and it rubbed off on them to think they had some sort of power in the Basin?

"Talk."
— got to sleep,
image credits

@Zyanya sorry its a bit short! I'll get her rank changed :)

World's Edge Sleuth
kianzo
His eyes jerked from staring down mother to the sudden jerk and retreating step of Zya in response to his hoof-stomp. Pinned ears sweep forward in interest, small head cocking—he liked this mare. He liked her flightiness, her uncertainty, her gullibility. His young mind worked, a fugitive glance shared with his sister, before returning his sharp blue eyes to the lovely lavender. He ignored Marimba’s glare, nonchalantly dismissed the tufts of his mottled fur beneath his hoof, instead focusing on Zya’s sweetly whispered “Thank you.”

A smile (it might have been dark on an older being, but Zo was still just a colt and thus ‘dark smiles’ were not yet quite attainable) spread on his pale, whiskered muzzle. “You’re welcome, Zya,” his young voice was proud, befitting a prince sincerely thanking a stranger. His attention barely flickered to Rexanna as she questioned if they would like to show the newcomer around the Basin.

Surprisingly, the dark princeling shook his head, “Zya can find her way by herself,” his decisive voice rang quietly, “But Kia and I will find you later,” his voice assured the pale woman.

He and his twin would be better able to do as they wished around the pale woman without the watchful, reproving gaze of their mother around. And, with a nod of his small muzzle and swish of his darkly foal-fuzz tail, he turned and bounded away from the soft-spoke, pale beauty newly of the Basin. His dark hooves purposefully just barely missed Marembo once more as he and his sister left.

@Zyanya I would love a Zya+Zo+Kia thread, if you're up for it! :D
@Rexanna
I'm also good with ending it here! <3

Outcast
Tai
"A moment of respite would be much appreciated," cordially she speaks, taking in the explanation of Rexanna.  So, they would be willing to teach those who did not have a profession.  Zyanya did not fully understand what that meant, but it sounded promising to her.  Now, she only needed to find a path of interest to pursue.  The opportunity to learn, to grow, was more exciting than she would have guessed.

The pair of foals is addressed, and Zya thought a tour from the twins would be full of quirks and fun.  Much to her dismay, the colt slaps down the idea almost immediately.  The disappointment remains evident on her face, though a smile plasters on top, wanting to maintain a proper appearance of gratitude.  After all, Rexanna had offered the greatest gift of all - a home.  Hungrily, desperately, the pallid little girl clung to the idea of a new haven: somewhere safe, somewhere filled with wonders - the Aurora Basin.

Her lavender eyes travel back to the small colt as he addresses her directly, decisive yet almost whispered.  Perhaps, the boy wanted to avoid the watchful gaze of his mother.  Either way, Zyanya is delighted by the promise of another time.  As the foals skip away mischieviously, she realizes she had never asked their names.  The colt generously proffered the name of his sister - Kia.  Next time, she would remember to ask.  It was only polite.

"Thank you for everything, Rexanna," the girl simply says, a genuine light held in her eyes before she begins to walk easily past the Sentinels and into her new life.
""
Zyanya

ooc -- Just wrapping this up.
@Kianzo I'd love to thread with them later.  Feel free to let me know/tag her whenever you have the time.